Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

145791052

Posts

  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky tumbles back away from the inky blackness that Daus conjured. He was always amazed when his brother did crazy stuff like this...a little off-putting, but undeniably useful. He took a quick survey of the room, and saw where he would be most useful. He sprinted around the chest, and straight towards Skarr. He dove through his brother's legs and bounded back up beside one of the bigger rats.

    Ok, move diagonally to C7, then diagonally to B6, then straight across to Skarr's space, then diagonally again, ending in A3: Ill still take the AOO from the dire rat, to avoid being between the two ratsies. AC v AOO is 22.

    As he stood up, he drew his sword and brought the business end to bear against the giant rodent.

    Piercing Strike
    Dex v Ref (1d20+9 = 20)
    1d6+5 weapon dmg; 1d6 challenge seeking; 2d6 sneak attack = 17 damage
    It occurs to me that I did not add the +2 to my attack roll on orokos for having CA (first strike), but it didnt effect the roll.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "The rats spring into action. One springs to the aid of the other, but its jaws miss their target orc. The stationary rat, however, clamps his filthy, mangy jaw down onto Swanky's arm. He begins to feel a bit woozy.

    The swarm of rats moves as one towards the gnome, and some leap onto him, biting all over, and getting inside his armor, continuing to do so."

    Stat blocks:
    Bats: AC:13, HP:1, Fort:12, Ref:14, Will:13
    Dire Rat(A4): AC:15, HP:21, Fort:15, Ref:13, Will:11
    Dire Rat(A5): AC:15, HP:38, Fort:15, Ref:13, Will:11
    Rat Swarm: AC:15, HP:36, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:11

    Rat AOO: Miss.
    Rat 1 against Swanky: Hit for 6 damage, and Swanky is at risk to contract filth fever.
    Rat 2: Move to A5, Bite against Scarr: Miss.
    Rat Swarm: Move to H5, Swarm of Teeth against Carrel: Hit for 4, with ongoing 3(save ends).

    Also, the swarm has an aura effect: Anyone starting their turn in a burst 1 around the swarm takes a free basic attack from the swarm.

    Map:
    ratroom4.png

    Up next: Korin, Skarr & Carrel

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Was the rat swarm not slowed by Daus' spell?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, he went straight diagonal from his start to Carrel, skirting around the zone.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Right. Crap. Diagonal movement is a thing that can happen. Sorry folks.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A valiant effort, Aegof.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "...And that's why I'm not allowed in the general store anymore. Now where were we?" Korin says, just now breaking his train of thought. "Oh, right, being attacked by bats. Okay then!" Korin lifts his glaive up high, then swings it down at the bat in front of him, slicing it clean in two.

    Seeing Carrel in dire straits, he manuvers next to his brother, and, as he begins to take a deep breath, says, "Finally! I've been waiting to do this all day!" He unleashes a gust of ice cold wind from deep within him, freezing some of the rats, as well as the two bats, which fall and shatter satisfyingly on the floor.

    "I think that clears some of this up, eh?" he says with a grin to Carrel, who can't help but feel more confident after his brother's action.


    Energizing Strike vs. Bat in G7 - HIT!Carrel gains 5 temp. HP
    Move to G6
    ACTION POINT!
    Dragon Breath-Close Blast 3, aimed to left. 3#1d20+5 vs. REF = 13, HIT Rat Swarm; 23, HIT H4 Bat; 18, HIT F5 Bat 5 damage

    YESSSSS that worked perfectly. For now, I'll focus on holding back the swarm, but I think we should try and get closer grouped. We're a bit spread out at the moment.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Question: Are Swanky and Skarr flanking that Rat? I don't think so. I was hoping to mark the rat, and draw back one square so it would chase me and Swanky could get behind and add that sweet sweet sneak attack damage. But the second rat there is foiling my plans. Oh well, back to what Orcs do best... smash!

    The sounds of combat all around invigorate Skarr as he brings his axe down onto the Dire Rat. The rat squeals and squirms as its tail is hacked off, hitting the second rat in the face. Skarr frowns at his bad aim and is vividly reminded of his early days of chopping wood.

    "Waaagh!" Skarr yells again, clearly not satisfied. Bringing his axe in again, Skarr strikes the Rat with another blow, but still fails to kill it!

    "Puny Rats! You die now!!!"


    Minor Action: Mark the Rat in A4
    Move Action: Nil
    Standard Action: Reaping Strike vs. Dire Rat(A4) = 24, HIT!! Damage = 7 Blerg! I hate rolling 2's!

    ACTION POINT

    Brash Strike vs. Dire Rat(A4) = 16 HIT!! Damage = 11
    Stupid Rat still isn't dead! Damnit!



    Stat Block
    HP:31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 9/12, Action Points: 0
    Spent Powers: Steel Serpent Strike

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel, sidestepping away from the pile of rats after a cheap shot from the swarm fires a blast of fey energy that hits the middle of the pack sending them all scattered about and killing most of them, the few who survive scamper away without the power of numbers.

    "Well, that went well."

    Move Action: Move to G7

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast on Rat Swarm 1d20+5 vs Reflex = 15 - HIT!

    Rat Swarm takes 6 points of damage. is at 4 hp.

    Extra Warlock's Curse Damage 1d6=5!

    THAT RAT SWARM IS DEAD.

    Save vs Ongoing 1d20= 1 - MISS!

    Carrel: 14/25 HP, 15 AC, 11 FORT, 14 REF, 15 WILL

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow. So much for that whole "holding back the swarm" thing. Anyway, before I forget, my statblock.

    STATBLOCK
    Korin HP 20/28 AC 16 FORT 14 REF 11 WILL 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The lone bat makes another pass. It's not as impressive as when he had his friends with him.

    Bat Fly-by on Carrel: Miss.

    Map:
    ratroom5.png

    Up next: Swanky & Daus

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How does me being in danger of catching the filth effect me? Do I need to make a heal check to avoid getting it, or am I just at an increased chance of getting it if Im bitten again? Also, is a heal check a minor or standard?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Filth Fever is a disease, and you may or may not have contracted it. You'll have to make an endurance check after the battle to see if you even have it, I believe. For now, it doesn't really have an effect.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus watched, horrified, as the swarm of rats squeezed through spaces in his spell he hadn't known were there. He would have to be more careful in the future. He could not disguise his relief when his brothers quickly dispersed it.

    He focused on the remaining rats, each of them brave enough to face an angry orc and... Okay, Swanky wasn't half as scary, but no rat should have the courage to attack Skarr. What were they afraid of, he wondered.

    Daus sunk a hook into the mind of the healthier one, and dragged its darkest dreams out for the world to see. Images of fire and fangs and magic danced around it, intense enough to kill its companion of sheer fright.

    Move to E9.
    Nightmare Eruption vs A5: 1d20+6 21 1d8+5 11
    A5 is at 27.
    A4 takes 4 damage and dies.

    Daus(E9): HP: 14, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16

    Still Swanky, then the last rat.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "First the crotch fire, and now I got bit by a diseased rat?? I could have the filth!" Swanky exclaims as the rat in front of him keels over. "Oh screw this...bite Skarr you damn plague-hive!"

    Swanky sheaths his sword and heaves a shuriken at the remaining rat in disgust.
    Sly Flourish
    Dex v AC
    1d20+8=22; 10 damage

    The shuriken lodges deep in the rats shoulder, making it hiss in anger. "Once bitten, twice shy...you got this right Skarr...I think I pissed it off". Swanky slinks quietly away, careful to keep his trusty orc between himself and the rat.

    End turn at D3

    Stat Block:
    HP 18/24; AC 16; FORT 12; REF 16; WILL 13; 3/7 surges
    Sly Flourish, Piercing Strike, Positioning Strike, Second Chance, Blinding Barrage, Might have the filth...but thankfully not the crapulence
    I think actually posting that stat block would help me remember to use 2nd chance

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The rat runs up to Skarr, and wraps its filthy jaws around his arm, too.

    Rat bite against Skarr: Hit for 3 damage, and Skarr is at risk to contract filth fever.

    Stats:
    Rat has 27 HP. Same defenses.

    Map:
    ratroom6.png

    Up next: Korin, Skarr & Carrel. If the bat dies, everyone gets a turn.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did we take a short rest since the first encounter at the door? If we did, then I'd have my Ecounter Power Back and that would be nice...

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel sends another blast of energy, this time on the flying bat, but having been used to firing at a mass of creatures last time is not able to hone his aim well enough.

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast on Bat 1d20+5 vs Reflex = 10 - MISS!

    hurrghhhhhhhhh

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think you have taken at least one short rest from the staircase fight until now.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, Swanky, do you mind getting up close and personal with this rat? Because if you don't, I can give us a pretty big hit on it, and, if Skarr moves to either A4 or A6, flanking position. Otherwise, I'll just give Skarr a big hit instead.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr can move to flank, no problem. Whomever you want to buff is fine, I plan on dropping my encounter power on this last rat this round. So go nuts with your buffs.


    FYI, I'm off for a round of golf and some BBQ. I'll post my move tonight.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No problems getting in the rats face at all. 2 things, though: 1) I need CA to be able to use sneak attack...so some one else must be flanking the rat with me, and ) unless the bat dies by Korin's hand, then Skarr will have to go before me. So, unless you plan on killing the bat, buff Skarr so that he can BOOMHEADSHOT the rat.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, let me explain exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to use that augmented version of Ire Strike on this guy to get you close and give you a free attack. Of course, if you can't get CA, then there's not much point in you doing this big hit over Skarr, so it's up to you. I'd flank him myself, but I don't have enough movement.

    And honestly, even though the bat will go between us, I don't see much point in taking it out. All it can really do is a paltry 4 damage.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Unless he TURNS INTO DRACULA WOOOOOOOOOOO

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    go ahead and buff Skarr, his hit wont be CA dependent. and this is, of course, the ever present danger of the dracula bat

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    NOT DRACULA OH NOOOOOOOOO. Anyway...

    His work (mostly) done with the bats, Korin runs across the room to help with the rat problem.

    "C'mon Skarr!, finish this guy off!" The shout rallies Skarr into making a vicious attack...

    Move to B5
    Ire Strike-Augment 2 on the rat. Skarr can use a free action to shift to any square adjacent to the target, and make a melee basic attack against it. If it hits, the attack deals 1d8 extra damage, and the target has vulnerability to all damage equal to 5, until the EOMNT

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ...Skarr?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ...Buehler?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey sorry guys. I broke 100 for the first time on saturday and consequently had a very good weekend. :D


    Skarr, invogorated by Korin, spins his Execution Axe in a lazy spiral as makes a deft sidestep to the right, bringing the Axe head around and tearing a huge chuck out of rats's flank. Squealing in agony, the rat tries to scurry away back into one of its hidey holes. Growling in frustration that this stupid rat won't die, Skarr tries again to chop it in half with a furious blow. It misses, but then Skarr's boot catches the rat instead tumbling it over, dragging its eyeball behind it as it tries in vain to flee.



    Free Action: Shift to B5, Melee Basic vs Rat = 28 HIT!! Damage = 22!! Good time for a good roll. Yay teamwork!
    Standard Action: Reaping Strike = 12 MISS!! Damage still = 4 Gawddammit with this stupid thing never die? Unless the vulnerability also applies to Axes?
    Move Action: -
    Minor Action: Mark the stupid Rat.

    Save vs. Filth Fever = 16 PASS






    Stat Block:
    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 9/12, Action Points: 0
    Spent Powers: Steel Serpent Strike

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually Skarr you make a check for the disease at the end of the encounter. Same for Swanky.

    Also that vulnerability applies to ALL damage, so that 4 becomes a 9, which kills the rat.

    The bat will fly up to D4, next to Swanky for one last bite, connecting for 4.

    FINISH HIM

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel fires a blast to finish the bat but misses.

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast on Bat 1d20+5 vs reflex = 9 - MISS

    :?

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky was just about tired of vermin biting him, and takes a mighty swing at the flying rat...
    Piercing Strike: Dex v Ref
    1d20+9 = 26 = Dead

    and the bat falls to the floor, cleft cleanly in twain.

    After combat actions:
    Check the bodies, the chest and the weapon racks (I assume that if I find other people's components, that I will recognize them? I dont want to be hogging all the components...also, does everybody need to find their own, like make their own checks to find their stuff?)

    Bodies: 25
    Chest: 13
    Weapon racks: 21

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    First things first:

    Swanky and Skarr, make a saving throw. No modifiers or anything, just a flat d20.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I rolled a 9; fail...oh noes! the filth!

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can I not use the 16 I rolled earlier? Pretty please? Because my new roll .......Save = 4 sucks...

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, Skarr. Don't be too worried, though, you'll have more chances.

    Both Swanky and Skarr are now suffering from Filth Fever. Each extended rest, you will make an Endurance check to see if your condition remains stable, improves or worsens. You could also try to find someone who knows the Cure Disease ritual. The initial effect is relatively tame: You both lose a healing surge.

    As Swanky begins to cough up nasty stuff, he manages to keep it from falling over the haul he just scored, which includes, 100 gold pieces, two potions of healing, & two small pieces of leather, which seem to exude properties you would not expect to find in this world. (These would be the leather for the Feyleaf Sandals, which are on two of the wishlists. I'll let you guys determine who keeps them.)

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Ugh. Skarr no feel good..."


    Does someone have a total treasure amount that we've scored so far?

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So far, 150 in actual gold, the two cuts of topaz that are worth 100 gold a piece, and the two components. Quite a haul so far...And you're not even done yet.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Allright hoods and hoodlums, gather round, gather round. 20 gold apiece to appease your palettes. Not only that but today only, 2 lucky brothers get some crazy leather whatsahoosits. Who will the lucky ducks be? Try your...GAK, CUFF" right in the middle of the speech, Swanky starts hacking up a lung.

    Swanky whined to himself as he divvied up the goods, "We better find a doctor soon, if I cant do my sales pitch no one else will ever buy Dr. Swanky's Feel Good Mountain Elixir..."

    Use 2 healing surges. 24/24hp, and 1/7 Surges left

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Since Swanky's spending surges, let's make it official and call this a short rest. so everyone knows it is.

    Daus studied the chest, looking for any remains of the spell it had been trapped with. If it had done more than the obvious, they might have to fight through every kobold left to get out of the room. His brother's comments quickly drew him out of his head, however.

    "Are you two going to be all right?"

    Arcana: 1d20+9 13

    Spend a surge.
    Daus: HP: 19/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16, Surges: 3/6

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
Sign In or Register to comment.