Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

1568101152

Posts

  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Swanky, dear brother, allow me to inspect one of those pieces of leather without price, and then you'll be able to make a more substantial profit with the other piece you can sell to someone else with the information I provide to you!"

    Carrel seemed to be more interested in the patch of leather the sick halfling was clutching than in the halfling's health.

    Spending 2 surges to get to full health, 3/7 surges left.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Hey, wait Carrel! I..." Korin stopped himself. His brother was more invested in this Fey stuff than he was, and could get more use out of it than him. "Nah, never mind. More importantly, Swanky isn't looking too well. Maybe we should find somewhere to take a rest?"

    Spending one surge, putting me at 28/28 HP, and 8/10 surges. I'm doing fine, but the rest of you seem to be running a bit low on surges... Should we try and take an extended rest soon?

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr loses one surge due to the filth. Otherwise, he is good to go after this short rest.

    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 8/12, Action Points: 0
    Effects: Filth Fever

    Can we assume that we will sell the Topaz and split the money evenly? By my math, that means that everyone should have 70gp in loot.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can assume that once you leave here you can find an outlet for the gems. Splitting it evenly is between you five, though, not me.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So you're all rested(as much as some of you can be). What's the next step?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't have Comrade's Succor for some reason, or I'd offer to pass around healing surges. Too late to add the ritual to my wish list? Aww.

    I'd prefer to push on. If we decide that keeping Swanky safe is a priority, I think we can get through at least one more fight.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I'm honestly eager to keep charging forward as well. Then again, I'm not the one who's out of surges. I'm mostly bringing it up because it's something we should seriously consider. After all, Swanky's not the only one low on surges. Either way, we're going to need to take a rest soon, but I agree we can at least hold out for another encounter.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did we get an action point from all the rodents?

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Is there a reason we are still sitting around here? I feel fine, besides, I cant sell Dr. Swanky's Feel Good Mountain Elixir down here anyway...you guys already know its just the well water...so if you ladies are done fussing over me, lets kick this pig! I vote we take a look down that other hallway branching off from the pit room.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This would have been your third encounter, so no action point from the rodents. You did get one after the pit fight.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Right! I forgot a whole encounter. Maybe its because Skarr spent it in the bottom of a pit missing a lot.

    Updated Stat Block
    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 8/12, Action Points: 1
    Effects: Filth Fever


    ONWARDS!!!

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To the otherside hallway....WAAAGH

    The Skarr/Ork war cry is catchy. It appears that the filth isnt the only thing contagious around here. Ba-zing

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Returning to the pit room, you proceed down the other hallway. The stairs there lead downwards, but at not too steep a gradient. It exits in a small, non-descript room, with only one feature of interest: a hole 15 feet wide in the center of the floor, with water flowing down it from a hole in the wall, making a pretty waterfall. The water, you can see, is pooling in the room below. There is a chain, suspended from the ceiling that leads down to the pool, about 25 feet. The chain from the ceiling runs to a small crank system set next to the hole.

    Dungeoneering check > 15:
    Your sense of direction, coupled with Swanky's report of the hole next to the stone staircase that led to this lair, leads you to believe this room below is the same room Swanky began to investigate, and therefore is another way out.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    1d20+0=4


    Swanky stares blankly at the mechanism for a while, then whistles and says "...looks complicated."

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dungeoneering: 1d20+1 = 16

    Skarr looks oddly at Swanky, "It does? Its a hole in the floor, how complicated can that be?"

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "I was referring to the crank, Brosefus. Ideas?"

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr shrugs, remember Corran's lessons. Turning the crank should move the chain up and down, just like a well. What that did in this case, Skarr didn't know.

    "Crank it? It must do something..." Skarr says, putting his meaty hands on the handle, he begins to crank away.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The crank slowly reels the chain towards you. You can see a bucket attached to the end of the chain down there, most likely for gathering water. It also could be used to go down to the room to poke around.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Hah! Skarr was right! It does work like a well." Skarr brings up the bucket and takes a sniff, then tentative sip of the water. If its good, he down the whole bucket, splashing water all over the place.

    "Ahhh. Killing rats is thirsty work. Lets go down and make sure this is just another way out."

    Skarr proceeds to climb down the chain.

    Athletics = 21

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Right behind you, Skarr." Swanky grabs the chain, and salutes Daus, Korin and Carrel. "Feel free to come if you'd like....otherwise wish us luck. If you hear screaming, come help...cuz Skarr may be beating me up." he says as he slides gracefully down the chain to the room below.

    Athletics: 1d20+7=26

    Perception Check in the room, and if its super dark, Ill light a sunrod.
    1d20+5=24

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Grr, why you gotta roll so well Swanky

    You messin up my surprises

    "As Skarr nears the end of the chain, Swanky illuminates a sunrod, and then tosses it in front of him. As it falls, the rod illuminates a spacious cavern, occupied by a few more large rats, before the rod suddenly stops in mid-air, as if caught in something.

    Something...cube-shaped."

    Roll for initiative

    Map:
    cuberoom1.png

    The water is difficult terrain.
    The X marks the spot the chain hangs over. You can either drop down onto that spot, or attempt an acrobatics check to swing to another spot (DC 8 within one square of the X, DC 16 within 2

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky's on 13...there's your mediocre roll, Farangu :P

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woo-Hoo! First 4th Edition Gelatinous Cube!

    Initiative = 6

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kind of. The strict MM-Cube is an elite level 5 brute. I wanted you to survive this, so I toned him down a bit.

    Also where are you guys starting

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Meh. A Cube is a Cube is a Cube, doesn't matter how powerful it is. I fought a Divine Rank 0 Cube once in 3.5e, and it beat the shit out of us before we finally killed it. But it was still a good old Gelatinous Cube!

    Since Skarr is likely going last, but the first one down the chain, he will start in C5.

    How deep is the water?

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Deep enough to impede your movement, but no imminent drowning risk. Unless you trip.

    Or unless you're Swanky-&-Carrel height.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky will perform some aerial acrobatics that would make the blue angels jealous and drop in at B5.

    Acrobatics Roll: 25

    Also, out of sheer curiosity, is the current moving fast enough to sweep away...say a rat and/or the dire variety thereof?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, it's mostly a gentle flow.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky yells back up to his brothers topside, "I know I said wait for a scream...but we seem to have run into some technical difficulties down here, and would really appreciate some backup!"

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Of course it's not that easy," Daus said, eying the chain. He may have looked the part of an athletic adventurer--though, point of fact, he suddenly seemed much scrawnier than he had minutes ago--Daus had done little climbing involving anything but ladders and stairs. He glanced at his brothers, not entirely sure how to get down there without breaking his neck, hoping they could show him what could be done.


    You want an initiative roll from the unclimbers, now? Here it is anyway.
    Initiative: 1d20+0 14
    And an athletics to get down, perhaps?
    Athletics: 1d20+0 8

    And sorry, guys, but I'm out until Sunday night.
    If my turn needs to be taken before then, by all means roll for me. Might I suggest Illusory Ambush on anything that looks threatening?

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes I am taking initiative for everybody.

    Also Daus I will act for you if no-one else wants to.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Guys, you okay?" Korin shouts, "Don't worry, I'm coming!" With that, Korin leaps into the pit with reckless abandon.

    Init.:14

    Assuming it won't kill me immediately or something similar, I'd like to leap into the pit, no climb check whatsoever. CUZ IM HARDCORE LIKE THAT, YO.

    Also, as a note, I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop at the moment, and I'm being forced to post from my Wii, which is not the most pleasant experience. Anyway, if I post a broken link, or something similar, it's probably due to that. Please, bear with me until I get this resolved.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Um, point of reference: the top room is about 25 feet above the bottom room. So just jumping would probably be ill advised. You can try and slide down the chain with an acrobatics check.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel jumps in after his brothers but slips while trying to hold onto the chain and starts to fall into the pit below.

    Initiative 1d20+4 = 17

    Athletics 1d20 = 3

    Ok thats bad, I'm falling now, can I make any sort of check to try to scramble and make a second grab for the chain?

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Acrobatics check, Carrel

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Acrobatics: 1d20 = 13

    Hope thats enough.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel manages to right himself during his fall, suffering a little burn in his hands from grabbing the chain mid-descent, but not too worse for wear.

    I'll place you Carrel, since your descent didn't quite go to plan.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Initiative Order:
    Cube - 20
    Carrel - 17
    Rats - 14(higher dex)
    Daus - 14
    Korin - 14
    Swanky - 13
    Skarr - 6

    Enemy Stats:
    Gelatinous Cube: AC: 14, HP: 68, Fort: 14, Ref: 12, Will: 11
    Rats: AC: 15, HP: 38, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11

    "The cube slimes its way towards the group, and attempts to slam its way into Korin, which it does so, stunning the dragonkin. It then summons reserve energy from...wherever it keeps it, and tries to engulf both the gnome and Korin. The gnome sidesteps the slow mass, but Korin, who can't move, has no recourse, and is sucked into the cube, where his armor and weapon begin to sizzle."

    Cube moves to E5, Slam against Korin, Hit since it targets Fort for 8 damage, and Korin is immobilized(save ends). It then ACTION POINTS to Engulf Korin and Carrel, missing Carrel. Korin is hit automatically due to being immobilized, and is grabbed and pulled into E6, where he will take ongoing 10 acid damage until he escapes the grab.

    Korin:
    To escape, you will make either an Athletics or Acrobatics skill check, your choice, opposed by the Fort of the Cube. When you do escape, you can shift to any square adjacent to the cube.

    Map:
    cuberoom2.png

    The Cube does not mess around.

    Up next: Carrel

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel finds it easy to get back into focus after nearly breaking his neck by stepping away from the giant gelatinous cube and firing a dark fey energy at it. The cube shakes and shivers, and steam is let off from it, as it starts to melt a significant portion of its mass. The cube finds itself sliding away from the group of adventurers.

    Move Action: Shift to C4

    Minor Action: Warlock's Curse on Gelatinous Cube

    Standard Action: Curse of The Dark Dream on Gelatinous Cube 1d20+5 vs will = 11 - HIT! (Barely!)

    Extra Warlock Damage: 1d6 = 4

    The cube takes a total of 27 damage, putting him at 44 hp. He is pushed down 2 spaces and occupies the squares G5 G6 H5 and H6.

    Does this free Korin from the cube or does he move along with it?

    Also we should use a different color for dailies, you can barely see gray vs dimgray.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Korin is grabbed by the cube, the only ways for him to get out is to escape the grab or for the cube to die. Also let's try Silver for Dailies.

    Farangu on
Sign In or Register to comment.