Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

1679111252

Posts

  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "The rats begin to scurry into motion. While one remains out of range, the others close in on the shorter members of the party. Carrel suffers a bite on his arm, as does Swanky."

    Rat vs. Carrel: Hit for 8, and Carrel is at risk for filth fever.

    Rat vs. Swanky: Hit for 7.

    Enemy info:
    Gelatinous Cube: AC: 14, HP: 41/68, Fort: 14, Ref: 12, Will: 11
    Rats: AC: 15, HP: 38, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11

    Map:
    cuberoom3.png

    Up next: Daus, Korin, Swanky & Skarr. If no-one wants to roll as Daus, I will when I return from work tonight.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Daus, seeing the rats close in on his position, quickly slides between brothers to a position of relative safety. He tried to remain aware of any attempts, even in this fracas, of Swanky trying to pilfer anything off his belt again. Once through, he began to manipulate his orb.

    Suddenly, shadows began to erupt from between the cube and the rat. The rodent steels itself against the shadow, but the large surface area of the cube falls prey to writhing tendrils that assail it relentlessly, dragging it down.

    Daus smiles, as if listening to a joke only he knows."

    Daus: Move to C3, Grasping Shadows centered on F6, missing the rat and hitting the cube for 12, slowing it.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I found the bestest thing ever for you guys to do once you clear this lair.

    SO STOKED YOU GUYS

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reserving til after either Korin or Skarr or both. See if I cant find some sweet sweet flanking CA somewhere, avoiding the shadows grasping me of course. Also, your stokedhood is contagious...like the filth.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Korin probably ain't gonna get you any flanking CA anytime soon, son.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If he makes the check, cant he escape the cube and be standing beside it? Does that not count for flanking?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, flanking on the cube. Gotcha.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Swanky, out of the way!" Skarr growls, pushing the halfling out of his path, moving to engage the dire rat that had slipped in behind them. He saw that Korin was in trouble from a big blob of...something, but trusted that the rest of his brothers could sort that one out.

    Skarr's scything cuts are punctuated by jabs and thrusts as he lands a solid blow on the dire rat. Not enough to kill it, but enough to keep it occupied and focused on him.


    Move Action: Move to A5
    Minor Action: Mark the Rat in A6
    Standard Action: Reaping Strike vs. Rat(A6) = 19 HIT!! for 10 Dmg.

    Alright Smoove, get behind it in A7 and claim your CA.



    Stat Block
    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 8/12, Action Points: 1
    Effects: Filth Fever

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I may not be able to grant flanking CA, but, considering I'm bloodied at the start of my turn...

    "Mrurrr? MRAHHHGGGHAAAAHRRR!!!" Korin thrashes about, and despite his wild clawing being mostly impotent, and his yells muffled, he still manages to throw the cube and nearby rats off-balance with his waves of fury. Still, he can't seem to escape the cube's gooey grasp...

    START OF TURN- Take 10 ongoing acid.
    No Action- Ardent Outrage All enemies in Close Burst 5 grant CA until the start of my next turn.
    Move- Escape from Cube-FAIL!
    Not sure if I can take any other actions while grabbed by this thing... DM? Because, well, if I can't heal, I'm unconsious next round, dead after that.
    Statblock
    Korin HP 10/28 AC 16 FORT 14 REF 11 WILL 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky looked around the impromptu battlefield. It was a veritable cornucopia of off balance enemies. Swanky had felt Korin's rage just a second ago, but he also felt something deeper, and it felt like panic. Deciding that his brother was in dire straits, Swanky ignored the rat beside him and took off for the cube, skirting the lingering shadows. He studied the cube while he was advancing on it, and stabbed at what he thought looked most like an underbelly. "I'll try not to stab you, Korin!" Swanky said as reassuringly as he could.
    Piercing Strike (at will):
    Dex v Ref
    1d20+9 = 24 HIT
    3d6+4 = 17 damage
    AC 22 vs Rats AOO
    End turn at G4

    Is it just me, or does a gelatinous cube with a sunrod and a dragonborn stuck in it immediately make you think of Jim Halpert-esque shenanigans?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Korin you can still take a minor to heal yourself. You're just immobilized inside the cube.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay then, I shall do so. Korin regains his surge plus 5 and gains a +1 to attack rolls until the EOMNT... not that that'll help me any while I'm trapped in a cube.

    BTW, got my computer back, so my posting should be back up to speed.

    UPDATED STATBLOCK
    Korin HP 25/28 AC 16 FORT 14 REF 11 WILL 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, for future reference, Daus has the bard's healing power that he can use once a day. Forgot about that.

    Cube's action coming after work.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...And I got off of work early. Shweet.

    "The cube, sensing another target next to it, attempts to reunite Swanky with his brother. Moving surprisingly quick for a creature with no discernible muscle, the cube pulls the halfling into the mix."

    Rat AOO: Miss.
    Cube: Engulf vs. Swanky, Hit. Swanky is pulled into G5, and on his turn takes ongoing 10 acid until he escapes or the cube dies.

    Enemy info:
    Gelatinous Cube: AC: 14, HP: 12/68, Bloodied, Fort: 14, Ref: 12, Will: 11
    A6 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 28, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11
    Other rats: AC: 15, HP: 38, Fort:15, Ref:13, Will:11

    Map:
    cuberoom4.png

    Man that cube hates you guys.

    Up next: Carrel

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Id like to 2nd chance that, plz sir

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "As Swanky begins getting sucked in, he utilizes all his strength to pull free. As the cube reaches again, Swanky dodges the slimy, slimy tendrils."

    Cube reroll: Miss. Swanky you're back in G4.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel, not feeling very well due to the rat's bite stumbles back against the wall and fires a blast of energy hoping to finish off the gelatinous cube. When it misses, the cube finds itself still lost in a confusing shuffles as it unwillingly slides to the side away from swanky.

    Move Action: Move to D4

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast on Gelatinous Cube 1d20+5 vs Reflex = 7 - MISS!

    Minor Action: Sustain Dark Dream, move cube to the right one space.

    Save vs Filth 1d20 = 5 - MISS!

    What a terrible round of rolling.

    Carrel: 17/25 HP 15 AC 11 FORT 14 REF 15 WILL

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel you make a save against the filth after the encounter.

    "The rats begin their skitter-skatter attack pattern. Carrel suffers another bite, but Daus and Skarr both go unharmed. Daus, slightly alarmed by the proximity to him of large rats, gets as far away as he can, and then begins to work on his orb. So entranced is he that a rat misses his leg by no more than a hair, yet he doesn't seem to notice.

    Then, the rat that took a bite at him begins to squeak loudly and rapidly, as if suffering some unknown malady.

    "Now, let's see what pops up," said Daus.

    Suddenly, over the rat's head, an image is displayed. It is the rat, and it is...doing its business. Just when you think it can't get any worse, you then see the image rat turn around, smell its droppings, then take a bite out of it. The other rat, somehow comprehending what it just saw, begins squeaking loudly at the first rat, which begins to cower it's head.

    "...That was unexpected. But then again, there is no standard result with magic!", finished Daus, putting a bit too much emphasis on the last word."

    Rat vs. Skarr; Miss.
    Rat vs. Carrel; Hit for 6 damage.
    Rat vs. Daus; Miss.
    Daus: shift to B4, Rat AOO: Miss. Nightmare Eruption on Rat in C5, Hit for 13 damage, and the rat in D5 takes 4.

    Enemy info:
    Gelatinous Cube: AC: 14, HP: 12/68, Bloodied, Fort: 14, Ref: 12, Will: 11
    A6 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 28, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11
    C5 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 25, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11
    D5 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 34, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11

    Map:
    cuberoom5.png

    Up next: Korin, Swanky & Skarr.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rat dreams are pretty gross sometimes!

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "MRHRRRNGGHH!" With a final push and a squelching sound, Korin's efforts finally pay off, and he pops out of the cube. "Gah, it was just pain and gooiness! Like, gelatin made of knives or something! Stupid... cube... thing!" Korin lashes out with his glaive, but, in his rage, loses his balance and almost falls back into the cube.

    "NO, NEVER AGAIN!" He shouts while attempting to catch his balance

    Move-Escape from cube - SUCCESS!
    Standard - Energizing Strike (Augment 0) - CRITFAIL!
    I'm going to save my healing for a little while... Everyone's doing fine damage-wise at the moment, right?
    STATBLOCK
    Korin HP 15/28 AC 16 FORT 14 REF 11 WILL 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Since I've just given you a whole slew of interesting RP opportunities with that power, Aegof, I'm feeling pretty satisfied with myself.

    Also welcome back.

    Also also Swanky I still have to go to your sheet to check your stats. Grr.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr makes a move to his right, putting himself right in between the two Dire Rats, and bring his Execution Axe down hard. The rat squeals as its chopped nearly in half. Skarr looks down at the rat that refuses to die and snarls.

    Move: Shift to B6
    Standard: Steel Serpent Strike on Rat(A6) = 20 HIT!!!, Damage = 21 The Target is now Slowed and Cannot Shift


    Stat Block:
    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 8/12, Action Points: 1
    Spent: Steel Serpent Strike
    Effects: Filth Fever

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I will assume for the sake of argument that Korin escaped to G8...
    "Glad to see you could join us, Korin!" Swanky jeered at his brother. The halfling bared down on the cube, meaning to end it then and there. He sprinted straight at it struck at the horrid jelly...
    Move to H5; Piercing Strike
    Dex vs Ref (CA from flanking with Korin)
    1d20+9= 24
    1d6+5; 2d6 = 20...its got a terrible case of the deads.

    Swanky's hand and sword felt like they went straight through the cube. The sensation was disgusting, but it only lasted a second as the cube shuddered and melted around his arm. "Oh, gross! This is going to take forever to come off my sleeve!"

    Statline (cuz I'm bad at remembering...)
    HP: 24/24 Surges: 1/7
    AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 16, Will 13
    Piercing Strike; Sly Flourish, Positioning Strike; xSecond Chancex; Blinding Barrage; Doe-Eyes to appease Farangu; The Filth

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I forgot that in the bat fight, you guys did find two potions of healing. If Korin wants to continue to save his last healing word, one of you guys can always take a swig of those.

    Since the cube just died, Carrel gets another go before the rats.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh Carrel...come out to play...

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel continues to slide alongside the wall hoping to catch his breath and not incur a free hit from the two rats standing next to him.

    Move Action: E4

    Standard Action: Second Wind, Carrel's stats are as follows

    Carrel: 17/25 HP 17 AC 13 FORT 16 REF 17 WILL

    A post a day keeps the DM away.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "The rats sense that they might be in trouble, yet continue to do the only thing they know how: bite."

    Rat bite against Skarr: Miss.
    Rat bite against Daus: Critical hit for 8, and Daus is at risk to contract the fever.
    Rat bite against Carrel: Miss.

    Enemy info:
    Gelatinous Cube: HP: 0/68, Dead
    A6 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 7, Bloodied, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11
    C5 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 25, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11
    D5 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 34, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11

    Map:
    cuberoom6.png

    Up next: Everybody

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daus backed away from the rat, still a little amused. Rats could be embarrassed! Who knew? He spotted the rat Skar was dealing with, and Daus' curiosity got the better of him. This time, the display was less entertaining but perhaps more relevant; the rat died of its fear of axes and orcs.


    Shift to A4.

    Nightmare Eruption vs A6: 1d20+6 13 1d8+5 8
    A6 is dead.

    Daus(A4): HP: 11/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16, Surges: 3/6
    At risk of contracting Filth Fever

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Your SLEEVE?!" Korin yells at Swanky, "I WAS SWIMMING IN THE THING! Forget my clothes, I think some of it's still stuck in my LUNGS! In fact... KOFF KOFF KOFF" Korin begins coughing and hacking uncontrollably, stumbling slightly closer to the rats.

    Suddenly, with one last heavy cough, a burst of frozen breath bursts from Korin's jaws once again, though it unfortunately seems to miss both of the rats. Despite this, Korin still says with a grin, "THERE! Now I feel much better!"

    Move to F6
    Standard - Dragon Breathagainst both rats - DOUBLE MISS!
    Gah, this fight is not going well for Korin... Anyone in need of urgent heals? Daus, would you like some help there?

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't call it urgent just yet, since both rats going after me at this point is pretty unlikely, I think, but go ahead. May as well spend the surge before the filth sets in and I start losin' 'em.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, then Ardent Surge - Daus regains his healing surge plus 6!!!, and gains a +1 to all attack rolls until the EOMNT.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Frowning again as the Rat scrunches up so much in fear that its spine cracks, Skarr spins around and lays into another Dire Rat. Brashly. It hurts a little bit.

    Move: None
    Minor: Mark the Rat in C5
    Standard: Brash Strike vs Rat(C5) = 18 HIT!!! for 14 pts of damage





    Stat Block:
    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 8/12, Action Points: 1
    Spent: Steel Serpent Strike
    Effects: Filth Fever

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "It's not my fault you got yourself sucked into a giant cube of jelly! Maybe next time I won't bother to dirty my sleeve at all as I kill it for you!" Swanky jibes his brother. The rogue takes off towards the stream, wiping his sleeve on Korin as he sprints by. He makes a mighty halfling leap over the flowing water, to what he presumes is the safer side. He spins and chunks a shuriken at the rat that appears to have seen better days.


    ATH check to jump the stream: 1d20+7=16
    Sly Flourish vs Rat in C5
    Dex vs AC
    1d20+8; 1d6+7 = 23 HIT; 9 damage


    The shuriken strikes true into the rat's side. The filthy rodent is gasping for air, but still alive. "Rats!" Swanky exclaims at not being able to fell the vermin. He smiles, amused at his own stupid pun, and ignoring the disapproving looks from his brothers.

    End turn at C9
    HP: 24/24 Surges: 1/7
    AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 16, Will 13
    Piercing Strike; Sly Flourish, Positioning Strike; xSecond Chancex; Blinding Barrage; The Filth

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel puts himself into a position away from the rats and fires a fiery blast that strikes the rat in front of him.

    Move Action: shift to F4

    Minor Action: Warlock's Curse on Rat in D5

    Standard Action: Witchfire on Rat in D5 1d20+5 vs reflex = 20 - HIT!

    Rat takes 13 fire damage. (YES YES YES FINALLY HIT WITH WITCHFIRE ITS A MIRACLE)

    Warlock's Curse Damage: 1d6 = 1

    Wow what a terrible Extra Damage roll.

    Carrel: 17/25 HP 15 AC 11 FORT 14 REF 15 WILL

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Bite bite bite."

    Rat vs. Skarr: Hit for 3 damage.
    Rat move to E5, bite vs. Korin: Hit for 7 damage, And Korin is at risk to catch the fever.

    Enemy info:
    Gelatinous Cube: HP: 0/68, Dead
    A6 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 0, Dead
    C5 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 2, Bloodied, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11
    D5 Rat: AC: 15, HP: 20, Fort: 15, Ref: 13, Will: 11

    Map:
    Coming soon, whenever imageshack decides to not be a fucking tool

    Up next: Everybody

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Stupid Rat, you die now!"

    Minor: -
    Move: -
    Standard: Reaping Strike vs. Rat(C5) 25 vs AC, Damage = 11. DEAD!

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Korin swings his glaive at the rat that just attacked him. The strike rings true, bringing the rat to the brink of death and bolstering Korin's strength.

    Energizing Strike(Augment 2)-HIT! for 18 damage. Also, Korin can spend a healing surge.

    SO... CLOSE... Someone kill this thing already!

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carrel, thinking there is no danger with the rest of his brothers swarming around the lone rat, walks up to it and attempts to whack it with his rod, but it somehow deftly dodges the blow and hisses at Carrel.

    "You little bastard...!"

    Move Action: Move to C5

    Standard Action: Basic Melee Attack on Rat 1d20 = 6 - MISS!

    Haha... sorry guys, I was trying to show off and now someone else is gonna have to finish it off.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Leave it to the pros, Carrell!" Swanky says as he hurls another shuriken at the last standing rat.

    Sly Flourish vs Rat in C5
    Dex vs AC
    1d20+8; 1d6+7 = 23 HIT; 8 damage


    The halfling smiled as his projectile lodged into the back of the rat's head. "That outta do it," he stated matter-of-factly as he goes about his now expected macabre routine of searching the bodies.


    Perception Roll: on the bodies I guess (what could a rat or a cube have on it? Swanky wants to know), and also on the room itself. Gotta find those goodies.

    Bodies: 1d20+5 = 21
    Room: 1d20+5 = 25 (yes, this is the roll I would like to crit).

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "As the last of the rats falls, Swanky immediately begins his ritual of searching everything for hidden loot. The rats don't exactly have pockets to carry things in, and neither did the cube. But then Swanky noticed the small box in the far corner of the room. Inside he finds even more gold - 30 pieces worth - and more strange material. This particular piece is a large hunk of iron. When Swanky touches it, he immediately feels a valiant and noble rage. It makes him almost want to take up a hopeless cause so he can march forth in its defense. With a little work, it could almost pass for an axe."

    You've found 30 gold and the material for Skarr's Vanguard Execution Axe.

    Farangu on
Sign In or Register to comment.