As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BREAKING NEWS: Fat Kids, Shoes, Fat Kids Can't Enlist

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think i told this story before but.

One time my freshman year I went to go buy something from the local supermarket at like 2:00 a.m. for some reason. I don't remember why I decided to go that late but whatever

When I was leaving all they had open were those self-checkout lanes.

And there were two HUGELY fat people on rascals sitting there checking out. They had an obese 5 or 6 year old with them who was running back and forth from the snack aisle with armfuls of Hostess snack-cakes. Inside the baskets on the rascals were probably a dozen two-liters of Mountain Dew nestled among piles and piles of snack cakes.

I wanted to take a picture so badly but I didn't have a camera or anything.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what the hell is fat is beautiful?

I have literally never heard of that

http://www.picsroll.com/2009/12/miss-fat-and-beautiful.html

Langly on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, McDonald's was a rare treat for us.

Think about that sentence.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No one can see my precious happiness tears.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    DID YOU GUYS NOT NOTICE THE SUPER HERO STORY BECAUSE IT WAS AWEEEEESSSOOOOMMMMEEEEE!

Really, like, best thing I have heard in awhile.

I want to find this video of people arguing that being obese is not unhealthy and we should all just accept that they are beautiful too and stop staring. The girl who linked it on her facebook page thought those women were heroes though all I saw was some lack of understanding how a body works. The person linking it is even becoming a doctor and was writing a paper on how obesity horribly complicates pregnancy that I helped her out on... boggled my mind.

Yes, I saw. I'm a man though and can't let them see my happiness tears.

Man, fuck that. Shit be straight up heartwarming

That kid got a call from Spider-Man

Mother of fuck if I got a call from Spider-Man when I was 13 I would basically never stop flipping out

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »

Fast food was a looked at as a reward or treat in my house while we grew up.

I live on my own, and my roommates eat the shit all the time. They get all weirded out when I talk about how I have to excuse to reward myself with it.

Skullo on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    speaking for myself
    I grew up a fatty
    I got bullied

I got over it
    that bullying has made me stronger
    I am now virtually immune to criticism

wait, that's probably a bad thing

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also sometimes our family dinners were nothing but a straight up giant bowl of mixed veggies on ice

We were like rabbit children

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to be a fat kid

It sucked

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it really doesn't help when you can't say someone IS overweight without being called an asshole

even when it is

ahem

the elephant in the room

Skull Man on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    if/when I have kids

gettin them enrolled in some kind of sport when they're young

engendering in them a love of physical activity and fitness is a top priority

shit like mcdonalds is gonna be a once a week, maybe thing

My goal is to cook well/often enough where fast food/take out will never even be an issue.

My goal is to eat said delicious food and not ever get fast food again

Sheri on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I know it is nice to go out to eat once in a while but who can eat fast food daily? it's beyond expenive comapred to buying food to make across several days

Brainleech on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So this thread is just to mock the obese? That's kinda douchey. It's like telling smokers that cigs are bad for them, aduuuuh. But people who are in denial that obesity is unhealthy are cuckoos anyway

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Skullo wrote: »

Fast food was a looked at as a reward or treat in my house while we grew up.

I live on my own, and my roommates eat the shit all the time. They get all weirded out when I talk about how I have to excuse to reward myself with it.

Yeah, this is pretty much my mentality about fast food now.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    'Going out to eat' and 'fast food' are not the same thing

Sheri on
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

I know it is nice to go out to eat once in a while but who can eat fast food daily? it's beyond expenive comapred to buying food to make across several days

Sometimes it's good. Most times the smell makes me nauseous.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    So this thread is just to mock the obese? That's kinda douchey. It's like telling smokers that cigs are bad for them, aduuuuh. But people who are in denial that obesity is unhealthy are cuckoos anyway

Hey Nino, did you know that smoking is bad for you? You should quit.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    it's funny because all my oldest friends grew up fat

one of us got into scouts / outdoor activities and slimmed down and toned up
    one of us just started eating less
    one of us spent a whole summer lifting weights and turned his fat into muscle

and me, well, apparently my body didn't like being fat anymore, as I just kind of got skinny

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The one fat kid I knew growing up lost like, 120 pounds after he finished high school. He's in pretty bomb shape now.

Javen on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I grew up Catholic so I can't bully people or else I spill into a cycle of guilt and self-hate that will destroy me.

I am overweight though, and that same cycle of guilt and self-hate is what motivates me to try and better myself.

I'm not a huge ball of flesh but I am probably obese because I am ~60 or more pounds overweight. I have changed my diet and started exercising and I am feeling way better about myself now.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A friend of mine who was fat growing up is now an awesome fat chef. So do what you know I guess.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

No! To continue the analogy, what annoys me is like if there was a campaign about how cigarettes are great for you and make you look cool (And I like smoking). I don't think that people who are overweight should be looked down on, it just also shouldn't be trumpeted as like, this great thing.

People who are overweight aren't bad or lazy or any of the other stereotypes that they get, and they shouldn't be bullied.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The one fat kid I knew growing up lost like, 120 pounds after he finished high school. He's in pretty bomb shape now.

All the fat kids I knew got fatter

most of the slim kids also got fatter

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I worry because my cousin is now 13 and dances, like, 24/7 and is a cheerleader and has been doing karate for years and she's always on the go go go

And yet she's. . . well she's not fat by any means. But she's squishy. Squishier than her fellow dancers (oh man teenagers are stupid skinny these days wtf).

My mom says it's because all the family eats is fast food and junk, which makes me worried. Obviously she's at least in SHAPE because she can keep up this crazy routine, but still.

Personally, I'm just blaming baby fat and hoping it goes away in a few years. :?

Sheri on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I knew one two 'fat kids' in my primary school. One was actually just big-boned because he was always really strong and just got stronger and slimmer as he got older.

The other just sort of slimmed down.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Obesity really is a national problem though. I don't really know what you can do about it. I mean it's not like you can make people eat healthy food or exercise.

Start showing videos of open heart surgery and shit in highschool health classes. They have to like break through your sternum and move bones and shit out of the way its fucking disgusting.

Show these videos and be like "if you get fat you might have to have bypass surgery and this shit is going to happen to you"

scare the shit out of them

abstinence only is a proven concept

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah but there's a huge difference between smokers and fat asses.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Honestly the day where airlines started having to charge fat people for 2 seats is the day I really started to question why the hell everyone is so out of shape

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    come to think of it
    every fat kid I knew in elementary / high school either got slim or bulked up

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    I worry because my cousin is now 13 and dances, like, 24/7 and is a cheerleader and has been doing karate for years and she's always on the go go go

And yet she's. . . well she's not fat by any means. But she's squishy. Squishier than her fellow dancers (oh man teenagers are stupid skinny these days wtf).

My mom says it's because all the family eats is fast food and junk, which makes me worried. Obviously she's at least in SHAPE because she can keep up this crazy routine, but still.

Personally, I'm just blaming baby fat and hoping it goes away in a few years. :?

Some people are just like that, especially if she's eating a lot of crap

Usagi on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    thincentric

oh god
    in this thinormative society,

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hey Nino, did you know that smoking is bad for you? You should quit.

Just for this, I'm gonna go smoke right now

and yeah langly, I'm not really disagreeng with you about those fat is healthy thing (I agree with ya), but harping on and on about olol fatties is kinda dick (and you're not doing that, so it's good)

xoxoxo

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    come to think of it
    every fat kid I knew in elementary / high school either got slim or bulked up

See this is the opposite of everyone I knew

I blame that terrible town and the good-for-nothing mindset it instills in all the kids there

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to be huge

Swimming fixed that

Marriage is threatening that progress

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Different builds do exist. I weigh 150 pounds when it looks like I should weigh 120. I can't really figure out where that extra 30 pounds is coming from.

Javen on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Strangely enough, I bought and started playing GTA: IV on Steam this weekend

and I wound up walking into a Buger Shot to get some health

and every NPC was skinned as the super fat biker-looking dude, but with minor accessory changes.

Or are all the Buger Shots like that?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I had a girlfriend like this. She was very petite but very squishy. She also had a very sedentary lifestyle and ate like crap so she developed this odd beer belly type of thing while remaining petite everywhere else.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

If they really do eat only junk and drinks lots of soda and stuff there's a good chance it won't.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Different builds do exist. I weigh 150 pounds when it looks like I should weigh 120. I can't really figure out where that extra 30 pounds is coming from.

It's that big ol' apple bottom you have.

VisionOfClarity on