As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Update, success!] Moving to Seattle and finishing a game

kedinikkedinik Captain of IndustryRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Edit: Flew in and and moving into an apartment on the 14th; thank you all for the advice and perspective!

I've saved up some money and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I feel compelled to chase my dreams or go broke trying.

To that end I'm quitting my job, moving to Seattle, and spending my time developing and publishing an indie game. I don't expect to make money on this, but it's something I need to get out of my system.

---

I want to know what I'm getting myself into, in terms of living in Seattle with a little money saved up and no immediate income.

Realistically, all that I know about Seattle is that I liked PAX '04 and '05, I like the weather, and my money will last longer there than it will in LA.

What advice do you native Seattle-ites have about living there? What should I consider when shopping for an apartment? What are some good ways to save money?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
kedinik on

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, you liked the weather?

Good luck. It's a good place to make a game, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to save very much money.

If you can, I'd try to hook up with some like-minded people and move in with them or share an apartment with someone.

Slider on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tips on saving money:
    • Get a King County Library card. It's free, and their collection is extensive.
    • Grow to like Rainier beer, which is a (originally) local brew similar to PBR and usually the cheapest at bars.
    • If you have a car, sell it and get and ORCA card, which is the universal transit pass--it's valid on both bus systems, the light rail and the ferry. If you want to keep your car, still get an ORCA card and find someplace to park that thing--owning a car in Seattle is usually more hassle than it's worth.
    • To truly cut transportation costs, buy a bicycle and brave the hills.
    • Naturally, skip shopping at Whole Foods or PCC and stick with QFC. Get one of those ridiculous club cards, which will save you a few hundred bucks a year on your grocery bill.
    • Internet ain't cheap, but almost every coffee shop and many a bar offers free wi-fi.

As far as apartment hunting goes, it's the same as most every city--your rent is directly influenced by the location. There's a building half a block from mine that rents a studio for $1350 a month, which is a lot even by area standards, but you can find deals if you're willing to look hard. Craigslist ain't bad, but there are a lot of listings for outlying areas there--make sure to Google Maps that address. The Stranger is one of our local weekly papers, and has a robust classified section online.

Expect to pay about $1000 a month in-city, taking all expenses into account. You can whittle that figure down with some creative jibber-jabber, but that seems like a reasonable jumping-off point. Also note that it's much cheaper to rent a room than an apartment, and various forms of communal living exist around the city. If you don't mind housemates, it's the way to go for ultra budgeting.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Live in Portland, it's a lot cheaper.

Anyway, watch what you eat. Cook from home as much as you possibly can. If you don't have one, get a Costco membership and buy most of your bulk food through there. Buy the rest at WinCo or Fred Meyer as those tend to be the two other inexpensive general grocery chains.

Become familiar with the bus routes.

Rent your video games, unless you have the discipline to beat a game and trade it in while the trade-in value is in your favor.

I don't know what the Craigslist roommate scene is like through Seattle, but here in Portland it wasn't too bad.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Dr. TrevorkianDr. Trevorkian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm loving the weather here too. Moved up from Florida less than a year ago (so, not quite native) but I think it's fantastic, even the overcast and rainy period.

I'll second the vote for King County Libraries. They've got a great online system too.

My 1/1 apartment in Fremont is less then $1,000/mo but beyond that I'd be doing the same research you could to find out what's available right now.

I can't imagine life without PCC anymore, but certainly live within your means. You may want to include Trader Joe's in your supply collecting.

One of the best things about Fremont is that my wife and I can walk to quite a lot of things, and as we share a car, I've occasionally made use of the bus system and don't have any complaints. There's also a Zip Car lot less than a block away from me, if ever we do need a second car for some reason. So yeah, I'd say living here without a car is quite do-able. Definitely, if you have a bike.

And yeah, there's wifi everywhere here because there are cafes everywhere here! So if you don't mind working in one, you're set for that (I'm assuming here that you have a mobile system). If you've got a smartphone you'll probably be fully covered then, especially if you can use it for tethering.

Edit:

Forgot to ask about your game! What's the story there?

Dr. Trevorkian on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm loving the weather here too. Moved up from Florida less than a year ago (so, not quite native) but I think it's fantastic, even the overcast and rainy period.

I'll second the vote for King County Libraries. They've got a great online system too.

My 1/1 apartment in Fremont is less then $1,000/mo but beyond that I'd be doing the same research you could to find out what's available right now.

I can't imagine life without PCC anymore, but certainly live within your means. You may want to include Trader Joe's in your supply collecting.

Costco too.

admanb on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey, just wanted to say that whole foods is not necessarily more expensive than other markets (and yes, I live in seattle). Their meat department, for example, is better quality for the same or sometimes cheaper prices than QFC.

It's really only their produce which is consistently more.

Also, unless you move to a certain part of Kirkland, you are not going to both not have a car and be able to go to Costco. Speaking from experience, just don't have a car. I've lived in Seattle for a decade and I have an 8 year old son and I have never had a car.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also, unless you move to a certain part of Kirkland, you are not going to both not have a car and be able to go to Costco. Speaking from experience, just don't have a car. I've lived in Seattle for a decade and I have an 8 year old son and I have never had a car.
    Shoreline, as well. But you're right, it's either Costco or the car--you can't have both, and considering that the savings you get in the long run at Costco are dampened by membership fees and the fact that you have to buy everything in bulk, I'd go without the car.

Plus, you wanna live in Seattle, right? Don't be that guy that lives in Bellevue or Shoreline or Tukwila or the like and claims Seattle residence. That's just wrong.

One other thing to note is the curious personality traits displayed by the locals. It's not so terrible once the weather warms up, and the article is exaggerating it for dramatic effect, but it's definitely there. Out-of-towners complain about it and either eventually move away in disgust, or adopt the same trait themselves.

Also, you can't like Nirvana if you live here. You can't not like Modest Mouse. It's just the way of things.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    GryndylGryndyl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A few more tips, some contradicting what's already been said...

1. No, you don't have to like Rainier beer, as it's crap along the lines of PBR. This is why it's cheap. Stick with craft beers. If you can't afford craft beers then learn to brew your own or make friends with a homebrewer. We have lots of 'em.

2. It's ok to like Nirvana and not like Modest Mouse. You must, however, like AC/DC. They sell more albums here per capita than anywhere in the world and if you go to a party it is a Seattle Law that Back in Black will be played at some point in the music line-up.

3. We have 8-9 months of rain a year. Don't buy an umbrella. Buy a hat.

4. Learn to appreciate pasty white skin color.

5. The little tiny doughnuts at Pike Place Market are awesome. Never go to Pike Place Market on a weekend.

6. The more complicated your coffee order the more Seattle you are. Avoid starbucks whenever possible. There are much better coffee places.

7. As far as cheap places to live, look in the U-District, Ballard, Ravenna and Beacon Hill. You're best off finding a roommate situation.

Gryndyl on
  • Options
    Dr. TrevorkianDr. Trevorkian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gryndyl wrote: »
    A few more tips, some contradicting what's already been said...

1. No, you don't have to like Rainier beer, as it's crap along the lines of PBR. This is why it's cheap. Stick with craft beers. If you can't afford craft beers then learn to brew your own or make friends with a homebrewer. We have lots of 'em.

2. It's ok to like Nirvana and not like Modest Mouse. You must, however, like AC/DC. They sell more albums here per capita than anywhere in the world and if you go to a party it is a Seattle Law that Back in Black will be played at some point in the music line-up.

3. We have 8-9 months of rain a year. Don't buy an umbrella. Buy a hat.

4. Learn to appreciate pasty white skin color.

5. The little tiny doughnuts at Pike Place Market are awesome. Never go to Pike Place Market on a weekend.

6. The more complicated your coffee order the more Seattle you are. Avoid starbucks whenever possible. There are much better coffee places.

7. As far as cheap places to live, look in the U-District, Ballard, Ravenna and Beacon Hill. You're best off finding a roommate situation.
    1. Stellar advice. My view is, if I can't afford good beer, I'm not drinking. As soon as I have the space for brewing my own I'm going to start. My friend is having a great time doing that.

2. This is horrifying.

3. I suggest having both, but you will RARELY need the umbrella. It's funny, all of my Florida (specifically Tampa Bay) people gave me a hard time about moving somewhere that's always rainy, and I don't think they were intentionally being ironic. There is actually LESS annual rainfall here, and rarely does it match even the most mild Tampa rain for violence and volume. With a hood or a hat, you're generally fine in the rain here.

5. Yes. A thousand times yes. Avoid Pike Place as much as possible if you dislike crowds at all.

7. There should be a lot of factors influencing where you choose to live. What you can afford is one. What you need relatively easy access to is another. But don't forget crime.

Dr. Trevorkian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Some more jovial advice/practices:
    • It's "I-5," not "the 5." Never make this mistake, it will betray you.
    • Contrary to what Gryndyl says, the more complicated your coffee, the less Seattle you are. Nobody orders anything beyond a latte or a mocha, if not just a drip.
    • Contrary to contrary what Gryndyl says, every other coffee shop in Seattle is superior to Starbucks. Buy gas-station coffee before you buy Starbucks. If you are in the middle of nowhere and there is absolutely no other place to buy coffee except for a Starbucks, consider seppuku before buying Starbucks.
    • Start watching soccer. It's so ridiculously popular here that our MLS team's average attendance is twice that of most of the other teams in the league.
    • Along the same lines, it's getting to be OK to kinda like Alex Rodriguez, but for the most part he's still hated almost ten years after he left the Mariners.
    • Be highly careful of talking about your previous city of residence. Seattle has one of the highest rates of inbound movers in the country, if not the. A study done in 2008 showed that a full 1/3 of Seattle residents have lived here five years or less, and the people just keep coming.

Most Seattlites are friendly and like hearing people's stories, so go ahead and tell people what it was like for you living there. But definitely do not, under any circumstance, complain about how X was done like Y back in Z. We've heard it all many times before, and people get tired of it.

It was such a common thing for a while that one of our pizza spots printed a shirt that said "If New York was so great, why don't you move back there?"
    • If you go to a rock show, you may be the only one dancing. Just a heads-up.
    • Recycling is mandatory. You might think I'm kidding--it's the law! But it's a silly law since everyone here would do it anyway. You're OK with stopping just there, but if you really wanna fit in start a compost pile in your vegetable crisper.
    • The Stranger is far-more entertaining and readable than its counterpart, Seattle Weekly. If you want a free rag to read on the bus, go with that one.
    • There are only two radio stations: 90.3FM (for music) and 94.9FM (for NPR). Everything else is a lark.

I'm kidding about hating Nirvana--most long-time residents are indifferent at best. And loving Modest Mouse is optional as well (though, you can hate their new stuff and love their old stuff without coming across as a pretentious douche), but it seems you aren't a true Seattleite until you own a buffalo shirt...

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    QFC is fantastically fucking expensive. Shop at Safeway.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also I hope you like jokes about eating dicks.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's a lot of good advice; thank you all.

For what it's worth, I like Nirvana and I'm indifferent to Modest Mouse.

I've been a fan of dick-eating jokes for years now, so no problems there.

I've got a roommate lined up to make the move with me, so that will definitely help.

I like biking; sounds like a good transportation option for me. I'll look into ORCA, too.

Gryndyl, thanks for the specific location suggestions; it's been very helpful with the apartment search.

The game's in my sig, Dr Trevorkian; not much of a story there. It's a simple game that I want to polish up and ship concurrently for Flash / iPhone in order to get a solid handle on the whole developing / distributing process.

I'll check into the food shopping options near different apartments that I'm considering; Costco would be nice, but I wouldn't buy a car for it.

The Seattle Chill effect is a bit unexpected, but not a big deal; if anything, it'll cut down on distractions from my work.

kedinik on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    True, for the most part.

QFC's produce is about 12 times better, though, and often almost exactly the same price.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    naporeon wrote: »
    True, for the most part.

QFC's produce is about 12 times better, though, and often almost exactly the same price.

I've always been a big fan of Met Market

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »
    True, for the most part.

I've always been a big fan of Met Market
    Met Market's the priciest chain outta the bunch. It's great, but kednik's going for cheap, and that means Grocery Outlet.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    From what I've heard, it's pretty much a renters' market right now; the vacancy rates in Seattle are pretty high. You can find cheap places in both North and South Seattle, but if you want easy bus access up north, the places to hit are Wallingford, Fremont, Ravenna, the U-District, and Green Lake. Northgate has easy-ish access, but is practically outside the city (it's a long way to downtown). On the south side, Beacon Hill, Sodo, and the ID all have easy access to the light rail, but more crime. Don't even bother looking downtown, though you might check out Belltown, see if there's anything affordable there (again, fairly high crime, and probably too expensive).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lower Queen Anne is cheap and close to downtown, too. Might wanna pop any LQA addresses into Google Maps and have us take a look--what some listings advertise as "Lower Queen Anne" can sometimes be South Lake Union or Interbay or the like, which aren't nearly as convenient.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    Lower Queen Anne is cheap and close to downtown, too. Might wanna pop any LQA addresses into Google Maps and have us take a look--what some listings advertise as "Lower Queen Anne" can sometimes be South Lake Union or Interbay or the like, which aren't nearly as convenient.

LQA is also a total bitch to get into or out of via bus to anywhere but downtown. Almost as bad as West Seattle in that respect.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

LQA is also a total bitch to get into or out of via bus to anywhere but downtown. Almost as bad as West Seattle in that respect.
    There are two routes that go straight to Ballard, one that goes straight to Capitol Hill, several that go straight to Downtown and one that goes straight to the U-District. Not to mention one of the few night-owl routes runs through LQA. How is that a bitch?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, this is definitely something to be aware of; I know my apartment was advertised as "Wallingford," when it was, in fact, Green Lake.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    • There are only two radio stations: 90.3FM (for music) and 94.9FM (for NPR). Everything else is a lark.

Hey, don't ignore 98.1 King FM, one of the country's only full-time classical music stations!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    proXimity wrote: »

Hey, don't ignore 98.1 King FM, one of the country's only full-time classical music stations!
    Agreed. They also broadcast St Mark's compline each week.

(Although, living in Seattle, you can just go hear it in person.)

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cool, cool; I like NPR and classical music.

I resigned today and I've begun apartment shopping in earnest; seems hard to line up an apartment 2 months in advance, but I'll post any promising addresses in the thread.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd just like to add that although I live in Northern BC, I've learned three things during the time that I have spent in Seattle:

1) Green Lake is a fantastic area.

2) It is nigh-impossible to find an open restaurant downtown after 6:30 unless you go to the mall.
    2.a) But if you happen to find the Greek place, eat there. It's amazing.

3) Top Pot donuts are only good when you buy them from Top Pot. The ones they sell at Starbucks are an abomination against God and man.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    2) It is nigh-impossible to find an open restaurant downtown after 6:30 unless you go to the mall.
    This is because no one goes downtown but tourists.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Now you tell me.

It was pretty shocking to find out the lack of open restaurants when I was used to Vancouver, where you can't swing a cat without hitting two or three restaurants downtown.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Now you tell me.

It was pretty shocking to find out the lack of open restaurants when I was used to Vancouver, where you can't swing a cat without hitting two or three restaurants downtown.
    Downtown is just a shitpile in Seattle.

And I'm no fan of Belltown, but it has Shiro's, Mama's Kitchen, and Noodle Ranch, three of my favorite restaurants.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've been apartment hunting.

I'm looking in low crime rate areas that are also near University of Washington; my girlfriend / roommate is trying to swing a research job there.

Please let me know what y'all think of the following locations:

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+6301+65th+Ave+NE+Seattle+WA+US
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3821+NE+45th+St+Seattle+WA+98105
    http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+NE+65th+St+Seattle+WA+US

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The first and second spots are out around the Sand Point area, which is a pretty nice neighborhood, if a little far from the city center. The second one is closer to more amenities--restaurants, shops and grocers--than the first. That blob on the map marked "University Village" is a gigantic outdoor mall with shit like Crate & Barrel and chain-restaurants, for all of your mooney-hemorhagging needs.

The third one is out in View Ridge, just a couple of blocks from a PCC (our local version of Whole Foods, sort of). It's quieter, but a little less convenient. Prepare to take a long hike down to U-Village or a long bus out to Northgate or Ballard if you need to purchase anything other than groceries.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can manage to get an apartment studio downtown for under $800, so don't be discouraged by that 1300 figure up above. There are a few places on Capitol hill available like that though.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That $1300-studio figure was an example, but another studio runs $675 just a block away. I mentioned that there are deals out there, but you've gotta really look, and get a little lucky as well.

There is nothing worth the price of admission Downtown, though. Even if it were dirt cheap, you'd be going to other neighborhoods to shop/buy groceries/meet with friends/hit the bar/see live music/et cetera.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    I've been apartment hunting.

I'm looking in low crime rate areas that are also near University of Washington; my girlfriend / roommate is trying to swing a research job there.

Please let me know what y'all think of the following locations:

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+6301+65th+Ave+NE+Seattle+WA+US
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3821+NE+45th+St+Seattle+WA+98105
    http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+NE+65th+St+Seattle+WA+US

Consider looking into places up and down 15th Ave, somewhere north of 55th. 15th is a nice street, with a million buses going up and down it that will take you anywhere fast, especially to the UW. North of 55th, the U-district crime falls off pretty hard, so you don't have to worry so much about that. The locations you mention are all nice, but I am a dude who is all about Seattle buses, and 15th is one of the best bus streets in the city. Personally, I would also try to get a place within walking distance of a grocery store, which means near 65th (maybe not the best since there is a high school at 15th & 65th and you might not be into a bunch of surly teens hanging out near your place), 75th, or Northgate Way.

big l on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I flew into Seattle a few days ago and found an apartment. I'm staying with a friend until I move in on the 14th.

Thank you all for your advice!

kedinik on
This discussion has been closed.