As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ ________ ]

PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
This [chat] is dedicated to John Cage, who famously composed 4:33, 4:33 of composed silence, in which the music is the environment itself. Trippy! He thought so.

57.png

John_Cage.jpg

He also did a lot of other cool stuff that combined meticulous detail and pure chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSulycqZH-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYsx5Di3bso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UPlYnBFrI0&feature=related

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
9pr1GIh.jpg?1
Podly on

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But I gotta go to bed, so this shall, appropriately, be a silent chat

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    pshaw

all this modern art

scruton2-thumb-460x386.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I know depressingly little about experimental music, but I do know that this piece by George Crumb is lovely:

Black Angels

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They missed the point. There’s no such thing as silence. What they thought was silence, because they didn’t know how to listen, was full of accidental sounds. You could hear the wind stirring outside during the first movement. During the second, raindrops began patterning the roof, and during the third the people themselves made all kinds of interesting sounds as they talked or walked out.
    — John Cage speaking about the premiere of 4′33″.

I think it's cool.

But I can totally see why most people don't get it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's cool, but I would call that art, not music.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The thing that gets me is that he actually composed a piece. You can play it.

Only if you play it you aren't playing it.

Because you aren't supposed to play it. It has instructions: don't play.

Fantastically meta.

Music is art, what are you talking about anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Fantastically meta.

See

That is fucking awesome.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I should say.

I think that's how it works.

I haven't seen the score myself and I only read up on it on wikipedia just now.

I've read a bit more, and it's possible he's marked scoresheets with all of the notations that go around the actual symbols for the notes without putting any notes in. So, like tempo, name of stanza, and with the number of pages appropriate for the length of each section.

Which isn't quite as awesome but still pretty cool.

Does anyone actually know? I'm really curious myself now.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Fantastically meta.

Music is art, what are you talking about anyway.

So it's kinda like the game?

Which I have just lost for the first time in about a year, thanks.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know about as much as any of you would if you'd spent a curious ten minutes looking it up on the internet btw so take what I'm saying with a healthy handful of salt.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so the proper way to honor this with a [chat] would be to not [chat] correct?

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    It's cool, but I would call that art, not music.

This is like the falsest dichotomy in the history of false dichotomies

"No it's not a number, it's one"

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I should have been more specific. Obviously music is art.

What I should have said is that I would call it sound art, not music. I guess I assumed that was implied, since people don't usually refer to music as "art" but as "music".

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
            

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a marching band geek friend of mine once mentioned that if only you could keep everyone in time somehow, this song would be the perfect marching band song.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The only thing the sheet music says is "tacet", or "break of silence".
    says simple english wikipedia.

Anyway, avant-garde:
    not really terribly weird

okay what the fuck
    All the albums are conceptual albums which are supposed to tell about the life and death of Raagoonshinnaah, a sort of "chaos god", but actually the songs have no lyrics, instead incomprehensible gibberish sung in harsh, death metal-style growling (which corresponds to the assumed nature of the songs' protagonist and also parodies to some extent the so-called "metal epics"), because, as Swanö said later in an interview, they wanted the vocalist to use his voice as an instrument

AHHH MY FUCKING BRAIN

L|ama on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I understand Cage's thinking behind 4'33", but as music, I find it to be silly and shallow and gimmicky on a conceptual level. I have no problem admitting that it's music, as I do believe that "found music" qualifies as such.

I just think it's bad music.

I admire many of his other pieces greatly, however.

By the way, this is a brilliant idea for a [chat], but maybe we could keep it and make it the experimental/avantgarde music thread instead?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know depressingly little about experimental music, but I do know that this piece by George Crumb is lovely:

Black Angels

does this refer to bats? that's the impression I got

edit: at the beginning at least

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    does this refer to bats? that's the impression I got

edit: at the beginning at least

I have no idea. For me it conjures images of a sprawling carpet of insects in the dark.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well then we're left with "dark and swarming"

I got images of bats and various other creepy crawlies in a cave

Tam on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There’s no such thing as silence.
    What about in a vacuum?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    What about in a vacuum?

the air being sucked from your lungs
    like it would rub against your windpipe and you'd kind of hear that in you head or something

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    What about in a vacuum?

the air being sucked from your lungs
    like it would rub against your windpipe and you'd kind of hear that in you head or something

You might hear the sound of blood in your ears. You have little hairs in your cochlea which vibrate in response to sound waves, and it's their vibrations that your brain interprets as sound. Those hairs are submerged in liquid, so it's possible that a sufficiently strong pulse might be capable of producing sound by knocking against the cochlea... somehow... and making little ripples in the liquid?

This is pretty much pure speculation, I am shit at biology

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What about in a vacuum?

Yeah, this is bullshit.

There is a such thing as silence, we're just unlikely to experience it.

Artsy types.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But something that IS interesting is that your ears can, and do produce noise. During low noise environments this can be heard by those around you and can be incredibly annoying at that.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
            

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In 1951, Cage visited the anechoic chamber at Harvard University. An anechoic chamber is a room designed in such a way that the walls, ceiling and floor absorb all sounds made in the room, rather than reflecting them as echoes. Such a chamber is also externally sound-proofed. Cage entered the chamber expecting to hear silence, but he wrote later, "I heard two sounds, one high and one low. When I described them to the engineer in charge, he informed me that the high one was my nervous system in operation, the low one my blood in circulation."

At least read the wikipedia article first

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How the heck does one's nervous system generate sound?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What about in a vacuum?

Yeah, this is bullshit.

There is a such thing as silence, we're just unlikely to experience it.

Artsy types.

If silence in a forest and no one around blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Nervously.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    In 1951, Cage visited the anechoic chamber at Harvard University. An anechoic chamber is a room designed in such a way that the walls, ceiling and floor absorb all sounds made in the room, rather than reflecting them as echoes. Such a chamber is also externally sound-proofed. Cage entered the chamber expecting to hear silence, but he wrote later, "I heard two sounds, one high and one low. When I described them to the engineer in charge, he informed me that the high one was my nervous system in operation, the low one my blood in circulation."

At least read the wikipedia article first

Is this directed at me?

Because what the hell? That doesn't represent research failure on my behalf.

It might, at best, mean that we're unlikely to experience silence when we're at all healthy but it doesn't demonstrate that there is no such thing as silence.

Of course, the "engineer in charge" is also largely speaking bullshit, even if we accept Cage's story of hearing mysterious sounds, there are more parsimonious explanations. While it might be possible to hear blood flow, nerves making perceptible sound is highly improbable.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm guessing it means phantom sounds, ie our brain making the sensation of noise because nothing would be weird, but that's a complete guess based on pretty much nothing and it's probably just bullshit. The circulation/hearbeat seems legit though.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    there is no way for a human being to experience silence, is the point

unless they're deaf

i wonder if deaf people hear any kind of background or biological noise

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have mild tinnitus, so silence makes the ringing louder via comparison. :/

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Depends on whether they're born deaf and what the cause of their deafness is.

If they're born deaf they're unlikely to lay down the neural pathways relating to sound perception and are thus unlikely to be able to perceive even phantom sound/tinnutis. Parts of the auditory system could, quite possible, be comandeered to perform or participate in other tasks - like blind people and perceiving braille.

Perhaps the born-deaf would not even able to perceive silence as we understand it. Like how blind people don't see black, they don't see, at all.

Of course, apparently when blind people take hallucinogens their visual centres can be stimulated and sometimes they do see things though they have extreme difficulty describing their experience. So perhaps the deaf could hear some things under specific conditions.

Still doesn't mean that silence doesn't exist. Nor does it imply the somewhat less strong claim that humans cannot perceive silence - for practical or biological reasons. It might mean that we're highly unlikely to be able to do so because of the conditions required for it to be so.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A born from deaf man being the only person who can experience silence does not strike me as profound or at all interesting. Technically correct, but completely meaningless.

It is interesting because it's so rare for a normal person to experience it. (If it can be experienced at all.)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure whether a person born deaf could experience silence - anymore than blind people "just see black".

Of course the mechanisms and brain structures that support the different senses are radically different so the reified absences of input might be interpretted very differently by the brain.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

WMain00 on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    I understand Cage's thinking behind 4'33", but as music, I find it to be silly and shallow and gimmicky on a conceptual level.

yeah that happens when you get high :P

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX