As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey lady! You call him Doctah Jones!

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Last Crusade was the first real movie I ever saw

"real movie" being something that is not the care bears or sesame street

I thought it was the first Indy movie for the longest time

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The refrigerator ruined Indiana Jones for me. I can buy him dodging arrows, escaping from boulders, beating the fuck out of Nazis, and all that. Surviving the blast wave of a nuke in a fridge, not so much. Indy can not beat up WMD's.

Hunter on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    young indiana jones hmmm

edit - oh wait I was confused, young sherlock holmes was great

M.D. on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the fridge scene for entirely personal reasons that supersede the believability of it. it is a blind spot that I acknowledge and don't think about

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    spono wrote: »
    Last Crusade was the first real movie I ever saw

"real movie" being something that is not the care bears or sesame street

I thought it was the first Indy movie for the longest time

So did I.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the coolest thing about Indiana Jones when I saw them as a kid is that you know this guy has a history. It may have only been 3 movies but its presented in a way that feels like there have been Indy movies and stories going on for decades.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still get a kick out of the party sequence at the beginning of Temple of Doom, with the giant diamond and the ice cubes everywhere. Good times.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crystal Skull wasn't that bad, but considering how good the other three are it definitely sticks out. Whether that's because of the time lapse, or the boys doing their "oh hey excessive technology" thing, who knows.

And I really like Temple of Doom, but Willie Scott and her incessant whining get on my fucking nerves so much it's been years since I've been able to sit through the whole thing.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Crystal Skull wasn't that bad, but considering how good the other three are it definitely sticks out. Whether that's because of the time lapse, or the boys doing their "oh hey excessive technology" thing, who knows.

And I really like Temple of Doom, but Willie Scott and her incessant whining get on my fucking nerves so much it's been years since I've been able to sit through the whole thing.

balanced by short round, though! I was hoping we would see short round in 4 but alas, it was not to be.

holy shit, how much better would it have been if short round had been in place of beouf and ok that wouldn't bring miriam back but now I have a different movie in mind completely

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I really dislike The Beef

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He doesn't care much for you either

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't remember many details about Crystal Skull but two that are particularly stupid are:

1. Crate busted open in the warehouse "HEY REMEMBER THAT MOVIE WE MADE, IT ENDED HERE REMEMMMMMBEEEER?!" Yeah, we got it when we saw the huge warehouse full of crates. No need for a goddamn Ark cameo.

2. Monkeys teach Shia Lebeouf to swing on vines. Fuck you.

The ants were pretty cool.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    I really dislike The Beef

I heard you liked The Beef

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't remember many details about Crystal Skull but two that are particularly stupid are:

1. Crate busted open in the warehouse "HEY REMEMBER THAT MOVIE WE MADE, IT ENDED HERE REMEMMMMMBEEEER?!" Yeah, we got it when we saw the huge warehouse full of crates. No need for a goddamn Ark cameo.

Really, surviving a nuclear explosion, not just a radioactive exposure but a full blown KABOOM, by placing yourself in a lead lined fridge. That doesn't stick in your mind as just brain rapingly stupid.

I guess it's just the physical scientist in me that makes my brain quit from the scene. Like the PA comic where Tycho's brain packs up, puts on a hat, and just leaps from his head during the last Die Hard movie.

Hunter on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

Really, surviving a nuclear explosion, not just a radioactive exposure but a full blown KABOOM, by placing yourself in a lead lined fridge. That doesn't stick in your mind as just brain rapingly stupid.

I guess it's just the physical scientist in me that makes my brain quit from the scene. Like the PA comic where Tycho's brain packs up, puts on a hat, and just leaps from his head during the last Die Hard movie.

Maybe the fact that nobody ever shuts up about the goddamn fridge makes me want to think about other parts of the movie.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

Maybe the fact that nobody ever shuts up about the goddamn fridge makes me want to think about other parts of the movie.

I can't help it. It's the moment Indy died for me. All else is black.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't really care about the fridge, but the second half of the movie was pretty shitty.

It was exactly like the chase sequences in Raiders and Last Crusade except inferior in every respect. Compare the Fight with The Big Nazi Who Gets Diced by a Propellor to the Fight with the Big Commie Who Gets Eaten by Ants and tell me that Skull isn't shitty by comparison.

Also the problem with the end wasn't aliens or shitty skull props but just the sheer by-the-numbers-ness of it. It's like Cate Blanchett goes "Oh shit I'm an Indiana Jones villian, guess I need some gruesome death".

IN CONCLUSION:
    everybody exploding> aging really fast > heart getting pulled out > burney eyes

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I didn't hate Crystal Skull, but I'm not sure I would ever want to see it again.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    i did enjoy cate blanchett gnawing on the scenery like a retarded termite

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    There were moments in Crystal Skull that made me grin from ear to ear but they were few and far between. The fight breaking out between the jocks and the greasers and the motorcycle chase (right up until the bit in the library) were pretty great.

Part of me is stupid enough to hope for a 5th movie but I don't know. I would only be excited if I knew Lucas had no input on the process. I really don't think he understands what made the movies great in the first place.

The first three Indy movies are some of my favorites of all time though. I would put Raiders at the top of my desert island movie list.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »

balanced by short round, though! I was hoping we would see short round in 4 but alas, it was not to be.

holy shit, how much better would it have been if short round had been in place of beouf and ok that wouldn't bring miriam back but now I have a different movie in mind completely

That would have been excellent, and yes - a completely different movie. But I was willing to put up with The Beef's hamhandedness because Marion <3

Usagi on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    There were moments in Crystal Skull that made me grin from ear to ear but they were few and far between. The fight breaking out between the jocks and the greasers and the motorcycle chase (right up until the bit in the library) were pretty great.

Part of me is stupid enough to hope for a 5th movie but I don't know. I would only be excited if I knew Lucas had no input on the process. I really don't think he understands what made the movies great in the first place.

The first three Indy movies are some of my favorites of all time though. I would put Raiders at the top of my desert island movie list.

The fight between the jocks and the greasers is a good idea but it is too short and serves no real purpose

There should have been more "50's" stuff in that film

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Projeck wrote: »
    I would have like crystal skull a helluva a lot more if it weren't for that ending

yeah it was kinda weird that they just sort of sat around on a mountain top on the grounds that it would be dark soon and had a good lol about child abandonment :?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just re-watched Temple of Doom, and besides the fact that Willie is perhaps the most annoying character in the history of film, the movie doesn't makes any sense.

It takes place one year before the first movie (1935 to Lost Ark's 1936), when Jones doesn't believe in any sort of supernatural events or influences.

But then he sees a dude rip another dudes heart out, with it still beating, and the dude is still alive, and then sacrificed to lava. He sees these rocks glow when they are near each other, and I forget how but they also lead to the main bad guy's death at the very end. He is affected by this magic blood that makes you evil.

And then in the opening of RotLA he's like "Oh man bed time stories? Whatever Marcus."

Not to mention that it's just not as well written as the other two. It was made to be more serial-y, like the medium it was based off of, but it falls flat. Have I mentioned that Willie Scott is the most annoying character in human history? And Short Round is also really annoying. I hate him in this movie, and I hate him in the Goonies. "Shout indecipherable nonsense all the time" isn't endearing. It's a cheap trick to make it seem like there's some sort of excitement or need to panic when there really isn't.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fuck you Short Round rules and you suck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I had to be physically restrained from walking out of Crystal Skull by my friends.

There came a point, and I don't remember when exactly maybe like 20 minutes in, that it was just too bad. Stood up and tried to walk out, but nope...had to sit through another hour and change in that turd of a movie.

I had the opposite reaction. I just kind of sunk into my seat, head in hands, just kind of wishing that it would get better.

When I walked out I was like "well...Ahh...there was that part...well...it...could have been...siggghhhh"

edit: short round in fact sucks. Kids in movies almost 100% suck. I am trying to think right now for a good child character in an action movie and I have got nothing. They always just do stupid things or are crying or are in danger and now we have to save them blech.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ...are you complaining about continuity in Indiana Jones?

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    ...are you complaining about continuity in Indiana Jones?

No, but I mean it's pretty important to the character that he sees this supernatural event occur that is linked to something from the past that he found. It just makes the first movie seem really silly if it turns out he sees that shit every day.

edit: plus, it's not like the movies have zero continuity. The first and third are basically direct sequels with plenty of continuity.

Langly on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really need to rewatch these on my shiny new TV. Not sure if my DVDs are widescreen version or not, but god I hope so.

I remember seeing crusaders at a drive in when I was little.

Best times.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    langly you are just mr wrong here

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I had to be physically restrained from walking out of Crystal Skull by my friends.

There came a point, and I don't remember when exactly maybe like 20 minutes in, that it was just too bad. Stood up and tried to walk out, but nope...had to sit through another hour and change in that turd of a movie.

I had the opposite reaction. I just kind of sunk into my seat, head in hands, just kind of wishing that it would get better.

When I walked out I was like "well...Ahh...there was that part...well...it...could have been...siggghhhh"

edit: short round in fact sucks. Kids in movies almost 100% suck. I am trying to think right now for a good child character in an action movie and I have got nothing. They always just do stupid things or are crying or are in danger and now we have to save them blech.

cr_ballard_empire_of_sun.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also by far the most annoying character in any Indiana movie is the british guy who kept betraying them in #4.

and Jones was just like 'you whacky brit'

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Nope, sorry

Willie Scott still wins Most Annoying Secondary Character Ever

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »

cr_ballard_empire_of_sun.jpg

I have never seen this. I need to.

edit: Usagi, have you played lego indiana jones? Most characters have something that they can do besides punching that will help you through a level. Short Round is small and can fit places, that sort of stuff. Willie's power is that she can scream, and it annoys everyone.

I love that game.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yes Langly, you do

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How can anyone hate Short Round

He was the most lovable ethnic sidekick since Rodriguez

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    best kid in action movie: John Connor

best movie: Terminator 2

best: Terminator 2

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The blonde twit from Temple ranks pretty fucking high up on my annoying list.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    langly you are just mr wrong here

I do not think it is very wrong to say that Temple of Doom is not a very good movie!

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The blonde twit from Temple ranks pretty fucking high up on my annoying list.

Ah yes, listening to Willie whine "But Indyyyyyyyyy" over and over again makes it painful

e: I haven't played Lego Indiana Jones, Langly, generally movie video games just aren't my thing

Usagi on