As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter IV: Everyone loves Chun-li.

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Figured I'd drop an update for you guys seeing as I brought this up yesterday. Placed my order with LizardLick at 12 yesterday, just got confirmation of my order being shipped today.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Don't forget gents, singles ranbat tonight, this might be the last night for new character only singles! We are going to try to get this one done quick, since I have midnight Iron Man 2 tickets, so hopefully no later than 10:45ish.

Bad bottom of page. I forgot to mention too, you should message me if you ARE coming. I don't need to know if you're not. If you message me now, I will save spots for you if you're running a bit late, if not, you're screwed!

How long do these generally take? I have no grand aspirations of making it into playoffs or finals, but let's say I do make it to the playoffs at least, 9 pm est to when?

I think last weeks was over by around 11.

Yeah, I think that's about right.

Speaking of RanBats, I think I'm going to have to drop out entirely. I may be able to make one here or there but I won't be able to make it with any sort of consistency so I don't really see the point.

If it didn't take two hours I wouldn't have as much of a problem.

Now if we planned to do these on the weekends instead...

Not that I've been participating, but yeah... 2 hours is a little too much time for me to be able to set aside during the week. Did we drop the old Dover tournament format because we stopped finishing them or what? The old HDR tourneys were a blast.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am having trouble using dudley's overhead, ablank. It's fast, yes. But the range is pretty short, and I don't believe there is any way to combo INTO it, although there are many huge combos out. Rarely do I ever land it, although I should be using it more.

Overhead to super is an easy cancel but I have never used it in a match, because there's no time to hit confirm, and I don't want to risk wasting my whole bar AND eating an ultra after.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    Not that I've been participating, but yeah... 2 hours is a little too much time for me to be able to set aside during the week. Did we drop the old Dover tournament format because we stopped finishing them or what? The old HDR tourneys were a blast.

What always happened with the Dover tournaments is that we would have a ton of people interested and sign up, and then many of those people would drop off the grid and not do their matches. It was really frustrating and if we did it again I think we'd have to have much stricter rules on getting your matches in.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am having trouble using dudley's overhead, ablank. It's fast, yes. But the range is pretty short, and I don't believe there is any way to combo INTO it, although there are many huge combos out. Rarely do I ever land it, although I should be using it more.

Overhead to super is an easy cancel but I have never used it in a match, because there's no time to hit confirm, and I don't want to risk wasting my whole bar AND eating an ultra after.

I pretty much only use it on an opponents wakeup. The usual mixup is something like cr.short standing mk target combo XX special (lp MGU on block usually), throw, overhead, backdash/block (bait), or back swing blow (short is relatively safe, -2 on block. EX is unsafe but you can FADC to full ultra on hit). So getting that knockdown is pretty important. You can also land an overhead after 1 point blank jab, but I think any more and you'll be out of range... likely character size dependent.

My dudley is rather bad though and I have a hell of a time combo'ing anything after ANYONE's overhead (ibuki, juri, ryu, etc.) because the recovery animation for them is so wonky. I have a much easier time combo'ing from overhead special attacks (balrog/chunli).

As far as overhead to super, you could always move buffer. Just do f+rh and 2 quarter circles (or qcf+rh qcf wait) and if it hits, press P... if it's blocked, just go to block. FWIW, I find I land, get reversal'ed, or back dashed out of like 95% of my command normal overheads online... in either case, super would hit or not come out (since you got DP'ed or whiff).

aBlank on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also it should be noted that the RanBats don't HAVE TO be played every week. It's more an if you want to thing showing up weekly is fine but showing up twice a month isn't gonna foul the whole thing up either.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's not for money so it's not like you really lose much by not showing up every week.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's good practice for getting used to an organized competitive setting. It also helps to get control of "tourney nerves"

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So Chaos, I need to pick your brain for a bit. I need you to be a Judas and tell me how to destroy Chun. At this point she's the only character I have any real trouble with. I main Vega, Bison, and Adon which could be a large part of the problem. I struggle with her regardless of player skill, provided they're competent. It always feels like a fluke when I win against her, so please help me formulate a strategy against the bitch.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So are throw techs tighter timing in SSF4? I feel like I have very bad luck with throws lately and haven't figured out why I am not getting techs.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So are throw techs tighter timing in SSF4? I feel like I have very bad luck with throws lately and haven't figured out why I am not getting techs.

online play 4tw.

I'd wager it's 1 of 3 things:

1- You're inputting throw early (assuming you option select tech throw from crouching) and you're getting thrown out of the startup frames of a cr.short.
    2- Lag ate it.
    3- You're slower than you think.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    aBlank wrote: »

online play 4tw.

I'd wager it's 1 of 3 things:

1- You're inputting throw early (assuming you option select tech throw from crouching) and you're getting thrown out of the startup frames of a cr.short.
    2- Lag ate it.
    3- You're slower than you think.

Well I mean throws have always been a bit of an issue for me but not eat 4-5 walk up throws in a row when I know it's coming and am mashing throw breaks bad.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any chance of someone organizing a PSN Weekly Ranbat?

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anyone up for some games in about 20 minutes? I was hoping to make a 3-person lobby.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anyone up for some games in about 20 minutes? I was hoping to make a 3-person lobby.

sure I'll log on in a sec.

aBlank on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grove wrote: »
    So Chaos, I need to pick your brain for a bit. I need you to be a Judas and tell me how to destroy Chun. At this point she's the only character I have any real trouble with. I main Vega, Bison, and Adon which could be a large part of the problem. I struggle with her regardless of player skill, provided they're competent. It always feels like a fluke when I win against her, so please help me formulate a strategy against the bitch.

None of those characters scare me at all except for Biz's Bison. He is the only one who has really railed me as any one of those three characters. I guess I can't really tell you how to beat her, since I don't think of the fights that way. I can tell you how I WIN though. Most of this data is based off vanilla, as I haven't sunk a whole lot of time into Chun yet in Super.
    Vega: For this fight I'm basically trying to catch him and get him to sit still a bit. Vega's biggest problem is he can't really do anything to avoid a wakeup ground game except for his backflip get away move, which doesn't work in the corner. I'm going to try to patiently zone him out, catch him in the air with jump roundhouse, and basically try to work him into a corner. His claw gives him a lot of poke range, so I have to be careful with that, but he doesn't really have good options against hasanshu which is fairly safe for me and generally beats most pokes. I find his antiair is generally lacking too.

Bison: A lot of Bisons feel that their standing roundhouse is just good enough to bully them through a fight. I try to teach them it's not. Crouching medium punch goes under and generally beats the shit out of standing roundhouse, it is my go to poke in this fight. I try to zone with fireballs, because I know he hates it. A lot of it is just bait and punish. Focus attacks also seem to ruin Bison, whether you can catch standing roundhouses, or crouching roundhouse, a focus crumple into c.fp xx hk legs mk legs roundhouse is a looooot of damage. His air game isn't too scary, I can generally win air to airs, and devil's reverse and headstomp are easily dodged. One thing I wish I was better at would be dash ultra, so I could punish fake devil's reverse. Biz usually beats me in this fight by outguessing me and being a god damn relentless rushdown machine.

Adon: I've only done this fight a handful of times, it seems he loses to zoning pretty bad. Standing roundhouse is a good poke of his, but my pokes tend to be faster, and can go under his.

The TLDR is essentially her pokes are really good and she can put on a good pressure game. To win, you'd need to out poke me (not happening) or have superior zoning tools (which none of those do). A lot of Chun's stuff is safe to very safe, so it's hard to get me. Maybe if you could tell me specific things that are giving you trouble, I could give you targeted advice. Chun hates rushdown when she has no meter though, since her gtfo move is not good without meter.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm getting an xbox next weekish cause I can't take not playing anymore.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blank, I can just barely hear you, it's barely coming through the TV and not through my headset at all.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm getting an xbox next weekish cause I can't take not playing anymore.

Good shit, Rak. I look forward to playing you again!

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to take a somewhat informal poll to see if the RanBat time should be changed. You should pm me if:

The current time works for you, but moving it earlier/later would not work.
    The current time does NOT work for you, it should move X hours before/after the current time.

If more people would benefit starting an hour earlier or later than we would lose, I wouldn't mind moving the time around. You should also specify, like "I can do later than 9 eastern, but no earlier."

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Personally speaking, 10pm est is an ideal time, since it's one I would always be available for.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For me I cant really object to the time. The time is good any later it wouldnt be.

As I said Ill be attending tonight BUT should the ranbat drag on past 10 ish then i may have to step down.

Whos up for a few rounds?

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BlueDouble, thanks for the games! Get a mic! :P

Stoked - I don't think any of the organized fights we've ever done have ever lasted less than an hour. Good luck D:

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Question for you guys. I've been working on getting used to my TE, and most stuff feels like it should pretty much come with practice, except for double QCF (from the player 1 side). Is there some way of holding the stick where that's not a completely unnatural motion involving my entire arm?

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    For me I cant really object to the time. The time is good any later it wouldnt be.

As I said Ill be attending tonight BUT should the ranbat drag on past 10 ish then i may have to step down.

Whos up for a few rounds?

If you're still around in about an hour, I should be on. I've been playing mostly against scrubby ranked people (set to more skilled, for what it's worth), so I want to see how my Guy fares against someone who I actually know is better than I am.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    finally Zangief can combo into his super!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1GQ00ZBdyA

Fucked up character properties 4tw.

aBlank on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there any difference between a bat top and ball top on a stick? Bats seem a bit more comfortable for my crooked NES controller-warped fingers.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is that on Guy only? It's going to suck to play as Guy and have to worry about getting comboed into demons and SPD ultras. -_-

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Is that on Guy only? It's going to suck to play as Guy and have to worry about getting comboed into demons and SPD ultras. -_-

yep. At least this is something they could patch before arcade release or something. Not sure how big of a deal it'll end up being, but it's pretty funny. Finally Zangief's super cancel makes sense!

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Is there any difference between a bat top and ball top on a stick? Bats seem a bit more comfortable for my crooked NES controller-warped fingers.

I'm not sure where you are going here. It's a grip for the joystick the difference is one is a small ball and one is a larger more tear dropped style. The main difference is the possible grip styles for them. Best thing would likely be getting a bat top(with adapter) and trying it out.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

yep. At least this is something they could patch before arcade release or something. Not sure how big of a deal it'll end up being, but it's pretty funny. Finally Zangief's super cancel makes sense!

Zangief's super cancel serves the purpose that it allows you to FADC out of your green hands to safety.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's all preference, I am not a fan of bat tops personally.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I absolutely love my bat top, i couldn't go back to a ball top after using it. Its just much more natural for me. I don't have to worry about how i'm holding the stick. It just fits into my hand and works.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    Question for you guys. I've been working on getting used to my TE, and most stuff feels like it should pretty much come with practice, except for double QCF (from the player 1 side). Is there some way of holding the stick where that's not a completely unnatural motion involving my entire arm?

I dunno how you're holding it, but a double QCF motion should not require a big arm movement. I personally work the stick:winky: with a firm yet fluid grip using thumb, pointer and middle. The wrist and knuckle movements generally allow me to execute any moves I would like to make.

Morvidus wrote:

Personal preference. If it works good for you, then it works good for you. I hate bat tops, but I big hands, so having a bigger area of the ball to grasp makes my life easier.

Wow, beated 3 times on the bat top....

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm defintaly joining the ranbat tonight,I'll be pretty scruby though,the fightstick takes getting used to..

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Zangief's super cancel serves the purpose that it allows you to FADC out of your green hands to safety.

.... what?

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

.... what?

...because you can only FADC normals that are special cancellable, and you can only FADC specials that are super cancellable.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

.... what?

I don't really know if this is correct but I'll take a stab at it.

I'm guessing that any move you can FADC out of, you can also super-cancel out of? I can't think of a move/character where this doesn't apply.

EDIT: Beat'd...but I was kind of right!

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

.... what?

...because you can only FADC normals that are special cancellable, and you can only FADC specials that are super cancellable.

Wow, learn something new every day :0

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Similar to how Balrog can super cancel his sweep.

Absolutely useless, but it lets him FADC it.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png