As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RADlands In which DE?AD violates men and dismembers children (...ladies)

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I missed Community tonight.

Fuck everything.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DE?AD if you would like to get on AIM or some such maybe we can hash this out

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    vis you do that every night

take a break man

edit: speed that's just retribution for not sticking to a bloody character

Squall on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As a side note I enjoy that your frustration with what to do with me has manifested itself in the game by just dumping max damage on me for no good reason. :p

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd have to install AIM on this computer first and ugh.

Actually, hoodie-guy was doing somethign there with the 100% Stress but I don't know where it's going and it's all just sort of spiraling out of control.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm just funnin' with you.

Goal-wise I don't think he's much different than Sydney or Makali? Short-term he wants to survive, long-term he wants power. The only difference is that that goal is sort of put through a juvenile filter, instead of a sexual deviant one.

You're right though, delusional would be lame. I don't wanna be running around imagining that I am crushing Pokemon gyms while inadvertently advancing the plot. Make-believe bullshit like that is for loser babies like Chuck.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    sorry, I didn't think to install that!

Squall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    vis you do that every night

take a break man

edit: speed that's just retribution for not sticking to a bloody character

I have a fear of commitment

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cannibalize pieces of the Magi-Nation gameboy game. Really similar stuff, but different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ox2OdHj2IA&feature=related

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I suppose if I really wanted to fill the pokemon rival niche I could just be a total loner

But I doubt I'd pull if off as well as Viscount has.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    oh hey de?ad did you forget to mention my character finding red paint along with white or was that

intentional

:(

Squall on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speed your new back-up character for next week should be named "Boris Danger"

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [strike]Bobby[/strike] Boris would not be a very interesting character.

He'd just sit around and smoke pot and play guitar.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so

your last character then

Squall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah more or less.

With more guitar though.

And mustache wax.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    doodle!
    styxwashere.jpg?t=1273799729

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Goal-wise I don't think he's much different than Sydney or Makali? Short-term he wants to survive, long-term he wants power. The only difference is that that goal is sort of put through a juvenile filter, instead of a sexual deviant one.

You're right though, delusional would be lame. I don't wanna be running around imagining that I am crushing Pokemon gyms while inadvertently advancing the plot. Make-believe bullshit like that is for loser babies like Chuck.

There are basically a bunch of square-peg issues going on here.

As for his goals, those aren't really what's keeping him from fitting in with the BPs - it's his abilities. The BPs want Makali around because he could be a leader, a prophet. He can convince people that they should welcome incorporation. The BPs don't need someone who's good at killing people - they're already plenty good at that themselves.

Not to mention that Cobalt sort of has a narrative requirement - he needs to be the best at summoning RADemons, and he needs to go through the world fighting other people who do that. Thing being, people don't do that. He needs his a story entirely to himself, and trying to wedge that into the actual, global story would require some seriously awkward plot-gyrations. His character makes assumptions about the world that simply aren't true.

If he were just a kid who had been super obsessed with Pokemon before the Crash hit, became a Freaker, a decided to become RADemon master of the wastes, it would be... less troublesome. A psycher kid who used Telepathy to command mutant animals and was just influenced by playing a lot of Pokemon? Even better. A character that acts as if he was already the RADemon champion, has a ghost grandfather that new about RADemon, and narratively requires there be other RADemon trainers? Not so great.

Also, the RAD Ghost thing is utterly preposterous. No chance that could ever happen. No sir. Not ever.

This all sort of touches upon the problem you've expressed having with RADLands in general - it's an established setting, with its own rules and its own way of working. I've got the whole world in my hands, and characters are required to fit into that world within a certain tolerance. This is all in stark contrast to the original "yeah, fuck it" setting of Gloss (regardless of what it became).

Don't know what to say about all that other than hang in there, and "you'll love the next game".

Squall: It was a mistake. You can have red paint.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I personally can't wait for the Raidercamp people to meet their first group of Ebon Cultists.

E: DE?AD it probably would've been easiest if Makali personally met Cobalt before the BP and they hit it off. Then he could ask them if Cobalt could be his personal bodyguard or some such.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hope Chet never meets Micheal

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    We can give you back your body parts and make your head smal-

"I'M IN!"

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DE?AD wrote: »

There are basically a bunch of square-peg issues going on here.

As for his goals, those aren't really what's keeping him from fitting in with the BPs - it's his abilities. The BPs want Makali around because he could be a leader, a prophet. He can convince people that they should welcome incorporation. The BPs don't need someone who's good at killing people - they're already plenty good at that themselves.

Not to mention that Cobalt sort of has a narrative requirement - he needs to be the best at summoning RADemons, and he needs to go through the world fighting other people who do that. Thing being, people don't do that. He needs his a story entirely to himself, and trying to wedge that into the actual, global story would require some seriously awkward plot-gyrations. His character makes assumptions about the world that simply aren't true.

If he were just a kid who had been super obsessed with Pokemon before the Crash hit, became a Freaker, a decided to become RADemon master of the wastes, it would be... less troublesome. A psycher kid who used Telepathy to command mutant animals and was just influenced by playing a lot of Pokemon? Even better. A character that acts as if he was already the RADemon champion, has a ghost grandfather that new about RADemon, and narratively requires there be other RADemon trainers? Not so great.

Also, the RAD Ghost thing is utterly preposterous. No chance that could ever happen. No sir. Not ever.

This all sort of touches upon the problem you've expressed having with RADLands in general - it's an established setting, with its own rules and its own way of working. I've got the whole world in my hands, and characters are required to fit into that world within a certain tolerance. This is all in stark contrast to the original "yeah, fuck it" setting of Gloss (regardless of what it became).

Don't know what to say about all that other than hang in there, and "you'll love the next game".

Squall: It was a mistake. You can have red paint.

That's how I've been envisioning him. I've only revealed one RADemon so far because my preference would be to wait on the others until Marsh has had the time to make their sprites for me, but I deliberately came up with ideas that resembled unevolved Pokemon because I want him to just be starting out.

Also the ghost thing didn't really seem that out-there and really I just needed some silly framing device for the intro I wanted to make, so I didn't think it would really matter. I didn't really intend for it to ever come up again.

Really though I didn't think there was such a thing as "utterly preposterous" when dealing with a force that completely warps the fabric of reality! I'm guessing the problem stems from the fact that people have more set rules with this stuff? Subneural networks and all that? I didn't make a big point of it, since again it was just supposed to be a silly joke to start me off, but in my mind "Professor Steele" was some weird amalgamation of a character from a video game and Cobalt's grandfather, and might not really even necessarily be a ghost, but a result of the same RAD application that Cobalt uses to summon his monsters, and his "dialogue" was really just Cobalt's own thoughts funneled through his imperfect conceptions of both his dead grandpa and the mentor figure in the video games he likes.

I put more thought into it than I really had time to explain in the context of a 7-sentence-long joke!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    not even that

micheal's logic is just too sound for chet to argue

chet's a simple guy

Shabooty on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "you'll love the next game".

hoooo boy

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I am glad to hear that the next game is going to have a more malleable setting that we can help to create and define, since that was one of my favorite parts of gloss 1.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the next game rules scare me
    specifically getting bonuses for "being awesome"

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am going to get all the Spotlight.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    CyenseCyense Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, Viscount. You are the Spotlight.

Cyense on
    anteater.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Spotlight reminds me a lot of the second paper mario, with the battles being on a stage and the more people in the audience the more damage you did

I like it a lot

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sneak Peak Meta-Traits List: Action, Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Horror

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Spotlight reminds me a lot of the second paper mario, with the battles being on a stage and the more people in the audience the more damage you did

I like it a lot

And sometimes the audience would throw you healing items.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just hope we are creative enough to come up with more ways to be awesome than blowing things up and skateboarding on rocket moon-vampires.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    We're going to Movie Land everyone.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can't decide between action and comedy

Antimatter on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I like it a lot

that game was the shit. my favorite thing was being able to block attacks and do more damage with a well timed press of the A button

never finished it, though

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh god, where did the square brackets go?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Those meta-traits are gonna be fun, but it just feels so weird discussing the next game when we're only halfway through this one

also I think I'm going to play some paper mario now

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sneak Peak Meta-Traits List: Action, Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Horror

I am already excited.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    over here =>[][][][][][][][]

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh god, where did the square brackets go?

I don't know
    hold meeeee

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No, Antimatter, you're sixteen.

I'm not Viscount.

DE?AD on
This discussion has been closed.