As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Fuel Spill

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hibernus wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is it almost impossible to flank effectively without a silencer attached?

After entering second prestige today and suddenly being deprived of the unholy silenced ump I discovered a warm river of lead whenever I attempt to ambush the other team from behind.

There is exactly no reason to even try to flank in this game. Any time I've ever tried to flank one of two things has happened: a teammate spawns right beside me and makes enough noise to fuck up my flanking, or an enemy spawns right beside me and kills me enough to fuck up my flanking.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you're not doing it right, then. I flank all the time. You just have to be aware of spawn zones, flipping spawns, and judicious use of marathon and a silence.

And yes, if you don't use a silencer, you're going to have problems flanking, because you become a BIG FUCKING red dot right near everyone.

belligerent on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Afgan is a riot for flanking.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    AUG > RPD.
    Where's McDermott, he'll set you straight.

Yeah, I know. The AUG has the same stats as the RPD (I think?), but a smaller mag and fewer overall rounds you carry. I still like the RPD better if I'm running around with an LMG.

[ed] @ Scat: No, "arguably" was regarding RPD being the best LMG. The AK is ... meh. Sometimes its beastly, sometimes not. I don't have that bad of a problem with it at range. Were you using irons or a red-dot? 'Cause the irons on that thing fuck me up. I originally thought I liked 'em, but now they just seem horrible.

[ed v2] Oooh, holo and you still had trouble. Yeah, dunno what to tell you. Maybe you got f'd by the host or something? Or you just can't aim! NOOB! <runs away, hopes Scat doesn't join a match with me on the opposing team>

If I'm running an AK seriously, I'm going nowhere near any of the reflex sights. I'll run it naked, because it won't sway if it's bare.

I don't have an issue using an AK, but it's by no means a "great" weapon except for close-medium range. I've gotten plenty of triple sprays and a quad or two with extended mags.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The silencer feels like it completely reduces the damage for my guns down to nothing. I swear it feels like I have to put another 4+ shots in them with the silencer which kinda defeats the purpose of being silent.

urahonky on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The silencer feels like it completely reduces the damage for my guns down to nothing. I swear it feels like I have to put another 4+ shots in them with the silencer which kinda defeats the purpose of being silent.

It's a mental thing. Silencers don't reduce damage, only the range for maximum damage. At medium range, what used to be 40 will be 30, or 30 will be 20 (before stopping power). At long range, minimum damage is reached by either, so there's no difference. Some weapons behave differently with a silencer in terms of recoil, so that may be what you're experiencing in terms of time to kill.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ah I figured. I put a silencer on my Intervention and it seemed to increase the number of hits to kill from about 1 to at least 2.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also this game really, really attracts the most insane gamertags (though mine isn't much better):

TheSneakyVajaijay
    BigDaddy69sU
    DrCheesyCat
    PokeLover69
    Longus Dongus
    Urmomsbf

I have others but I think you get the point.

e: Not to mention the number of 420, KUSH, WEED clan tags you see.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    AkimboShotgunGuy

I'll always remember that douchebag sniper with his dual rangers.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also this game really, really attracts the most insane gamertags (though mine isn't much better):

TheSneakyVajaijay
    BigDaddy69sU
    DrCheesyCat
    PokeLover69
    Longus Dongus
    Urmomsbf

I have others but I think you get the point.

e: Not to mention the number of 420, KUSH, WEED clan tags you see.

I also wonder if those people only play MW2.

I look at something like BigDaddy69sU, and I think to myself, someone wanted to be known as that in all of xbox live land? I can't believe it, and thus regulate all nonsense to peps who only play MW2 and Madden.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I mean, if you were to give your tag to your friends would they high five you for having such a fucking terrible GT? I guess if you're the person to have that as your name they may just do that.

I think I saw something like: IS3112N1663R5 too and I was like really? I couldn't have urahonky as my GT but something like that can pass?

urahonky on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah I figured. I put a silencer on my Intervention and it seemed to increase the number of hits to kill from about 1 to at least 2.

Yes, that is correct. Snipers and LMG's have a fixed damage reduction at all ranges with silencers. Their damage doesn't fall off with range like the other weapons.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's because it does. SRs and LMGs act differently than ARs and SMGs because they normally don't have any damage falloff. All the sniper rifles have a base damage of 70 at any distance. But silenced they all become base damage 50 at any range. The L86/RPD/AUG do 40 damage at any range and the MG4 and M240 do 30 at any range. But silence they drop down to 30 & 20 respectively.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oooh. I did NOT know that. So a silencer on an AR is okay?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oooh. I did NOT know that. So a silencer on an AR is okay?

It really depends on the gun, the range you're worried about, and whether or not your running Stopping Power. But generally, a good way to look at it is silencer/SP = no-silencer/no-SP.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The more you know.

Thanks

urahonky on
  • Options
    eekseeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I mean, if you were to give your tag to your friends would they high five you for having such a fucking terrible GT? I guess if you're the person to have that as your name they may just do that.

I think I saw something like: IS3112N1663R5 too and I was like really? I couldn't have urahonky as my GT but something like that can pass?
    What amazes me is that these people FEEL THE NEED deep in their tardloins to inject into their GTs the same tired offensive lame crap. These names share a common ground consisting of 69, 420, weed, mom/dad, bad spelling, and a poor understanding of the basics of sexual reproduction.

Everything short (obviously) was taken so my list came down to random actual long words I like that may be available or the coolest nickname to come out of the Punic Wars:
    Postmodern Dawn
    Cunctator
    Molybdenum
    Tendentiousness
    w33d4Mom69|420

eeks on
    Eeks aka Erik K
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's up guys? Tridus make it to 10 yet?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh shit I forgot the two that had me laughing:

TheNinjaSamuria (clearly meant to type Samurai)
    HiddenNinija (Yeah, an additional 'i')

Do they proofread before they accept?

urahonky on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes, it's just that someone already took those names and, Damnit, I wanted them, too.

I mean, someone already took holyground... Oh, wait that was me and I couldn't remember my log in info or cc info when I switched to the 360.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    joshgotro was taken.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There's a difference. Why not add a number or something at the end? Why slip a letter in the middle there. Yours is close enough to Holyground that it doesn't hurt your name.

urahonky on
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There is exactly no reason to even try to flank in this game. Any time I've ever tried to flank one of two things has happened: a teammate spawns right beside me and makes enough noise to fuck up my flanking, or an enemy spawns right beside me and kills me enough to fuck up my flanking.

This may be the silliest of goosey statements I've read in this thread. Flanking is where it's at. I get so much pleasure out of starting a game with marathon/lightweight/ninja/silenced AR of some sort and just booking it behind the enemy start spawn to get a few kills to start the game.

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There's a difference. Why not add a number or something at the end? Why slip a letter in the middle there. Yours is close enough to Holyground that it doesn't hurt your name.

The reasoning is that, when read quickly, an extra 'i' is easily missed (because it's the smallest character in the alphabet). One of my friends did kind of the same thing.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just went with Blurbl because after I tried 50 names and just went with a random noise in frustration.

Glad I don't regret it a couple years down the line.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Eh. Come up with a different name then. If I can't have 'urahonky' then you shouldn't stick a letter in just to have your name! :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ninija sounds better.

Edit: Get out of my state mothergoose.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I bought the disks when they were new then lost the CD code.

So I had to procure it through questionably legal interweb means, and now I can't play it online. sadface.jpg

Wait, can you install YR without the YR code, or do you need that as well as the base RA2?

I have a friend who bought the C&C collection, but he doesn't have internet (seriously) so I may be able to talk the keys out of him if you want to play online.

Arrath on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    ninija sounds better.

Edit: Get out of my state mothergoose.

Nini-ja is pretty fun to say, actually. I assume he did it on purpose because of this.

Also, when I tried to get a name for a feww month trial that came out sometime when I still played the shit out of Halo 2, the name I picked was taken, and Xbox Live suggested a new name for me.

And that is how I ended up owning the gamertag BlubberJungle

Yes!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a throwaway gamertag a while ago to take advantage of the free month of Gold for new accounts that was ZOMGWIISPLOSION. The attempted pronunciations were fantastic.

'Zomeguhwomegas' was one.

I've actually helped name a new people when they got their Xboxes. PocketShepherd is one of my favourites, and I gave Tom Brazelton his Brazelbomb.

I have a friend who was trying to name his roommate recently and the autogenerator thing came up with 'PlowableSuccubus'.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I had people have a hard time pronouncing my name. I figured being on a video game it wouldn't be hard to understand but one girl had the hardest time. I told her to call me 'J00'.

urahonky on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Imma Pwin Joe.

Actually, change your name to Pwin Joe. That's a decent enough name.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I want to change it so badly but I can't afford to pay $10 just to change my name in a digital environment. Maybe if I start getting money or something I can do it. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay willeth, you win with the prize with plowablesuccubus. That actually made me giggle. In terms of mispronunciations, people trying to get a form of pasta out of my name is always fun.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The amount of time I spend coming up with names is somewhat insane. For me to use a name, it must:
    A) have no numbers
    B) not be completely fucking retarded
    C) be spelled correctly
    As one could guess, there really aren't a whole lot of those left (although playing on PS3 certainly helps).
    I ended up with OvertlyEsoteric, and I was once called a suicidal English teacher because of it.

YAY internet.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I had a WoW character named Scatman, and I named my LIVE account after it. And I was 12 years old.

Thus, Scatman1337.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was really into some fun chemistry when I picked my name, but I can barely explain what a volatile solvent is anymore. :( The best part is that I changed my name from something else to VolatileSolvent, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was originally.

Xboxers get ooooooon! For videogaaaaaaaaaames!
    Am I doing it right?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My wife (who is a Biomedical Engineer) loves your name Volatile Solvent. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still hope for a Microsoft purge of unused GTs, but I know it will never happen. I hear far too much crap for the GT I have now.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Really? It's not bad at all.

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.