As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are higher capacity notebook batteries physically bigger?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
Sony and Asus offer larger capacity battery options with some of their laptops... 8 cell vs 6 cell, etc etc.

Are these higher capacity batteries PHYSICALLY bigger, changing the profile of the notebook?

Deusfaux on

• Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Generally, yes.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can't seem to find information on that on either Sony or Asus' websites. Very frustrating.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah they generally stick out a few inches from the main body of the computer.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The ones sold by the laptop manufacturer almost always are. There may be available off-brand hi-capacity batteries that maintain the original battery profile. I have several, but the ones I have run significantly hotter and sometimes aren't the same color as the original battery.

Djeet on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got a new battery for my work laptop a few weeks ago, and it's higher capacity. It's not any bigger really, but it's noticeably heavier.

I don't know anything specifically about other batteries.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It depends how the battery compartment was laid out - how much internal space there was in the machine.

Sometimes the battery compartment is oversized, but they go with less cells to keep the weight down.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well how the hell can you tell when it's one situation or the other?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When you buy the new battery and see if it sticks out farther. You might be able to tell by the internet, or taking it apart as well

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think that's something you'll find on a web site. I had to go to my local Microcenter to figure out the difference between 2 netbook models that looked identical. It turned out the more expensive one had the larger battery pack. It stuck out a bit from the bottom, but the extra battery life made it worth it, IMO.

El Guaco on