Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strange crash problem. Any ideas?

Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
So, I'm experiencing (un?)predictable crashes while playing 3D games. This started a few days ago and I didn't really notice it until today, when it happened several times. Been playing a lot of 360 and the first time it happened I figured it was a freak thing related to the (house) electricity or something.

Basically, within a few minutes of starting up any 3D game, my entire system just turns off. Hard shutdown, no warning. I think it's happened a total of four times now and I'm terrified to even test multiple programs to make sure it happens with all 3D games. I don't want to fuck up any parts!

Speaking of parts, here's the specs (for some of these I'm cutting and pasting from my Newegg order history):

-GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX245OCGQBOX

-OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK

-ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

-Antec Sonata III 500 watt case/power supply

-Seagate 7800 rpm hard disk

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

It's got to be a hardware problem causing a crash like this, right? Means maybe something is failing? Everything's been replaced as recently as January except for the case/power supply and the video card.

Any thoughts? My best guess for diagnosing this problem is to swap a friend's video card in and see if I can get through a round of Battlefield, but would that be safe? I don't want to fry anybody else's hardware with a hard crash either!

Captain K on

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well that kind of sounds like your CPU is overheating and it's shutting down for it's own safety.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like something's overheating. Use speedfan or something to make a log of temps - leave it open while you go play a game, then after it crashes check the temps in the log.

Get in there with some canned air and dust things out.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png