As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grimm] Interest/Discussion!

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
Our project is almost finished. The length and breadth of Germania have been scoured by Jacob and me, and I believe the land to have been raped of all it can give us. We are rapists, I am certain. The creatures and folk behave exactly as that vile book said they would. I pity them, and hope their souls find sanctity in their new world, as it was not granted to them in ours. Or should I pity myself instead? We brothers do this under duress, I have always claimed. But there is a reward. And we could have said no, all those years ago, despite the temptations she offered and promises she gave. But we did not. Mere humans, we, unlike the tales we have bound. Those are immortal. And immortal, I would guess, must be their hatred for us.
--Wilhelm Grimm, the eleventh day of October in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and seventeen.

What is Grimm?

In Grimm, you and your fellow players are average, everyday kids. Sure, you're special in your own way. Everyone's special; so say your teachers, guidance counselors, maybe your parents, and even the purple dinosaur that your little sibling watches. It doesn't matter what they think, though. What matters most is what the other kids think. To them, you're the Jock, the Bully, the Nerd; to your peers you're Normal, or Popular, or an Outcast. And all of you, even if you don't realize it, have a bit of a Dreamer in you. And that means that all of you have a hidden, awesome power. It is the power to open a pathway, knowingly or unknowingly, directly or in a roundabout way, to another place.

The game setting is a fantasy world known as the Grimm Lands, a place between places, forged from the imaginations, dreams, and nightmares of little boys and girls and brought into startling view by those with the misfortune to stumble onto its patchwork realms of strangeness and oddity. In many ways, the Grimm Lands resemble our own world: There's a sun, a moon, grass, trees, air to breathe, rivers, lakes, people, and everything in between. Yet for as much as this world has in common with our own, it is also decidedly stranger, and tends to follow its own rules rather than slavishly follow the laws of nature. Here, the Sun and Moon are recurring characters, and the grass and trees don't necessarily feed on just the soil. No, the more one explores the Grimm Lands, the less it seems like the ordinary world, and more it becomes like our world turned inside out and upside down.
Are there Classes?
In Grimm there are things known as Archetypes, which, in some ways, do align with what you'd think of as classes. However, just because you belong to a certain Archetype doesn't mean you are incapable of any particular thing.

You have the Bully (Defender/Tank), the Dreamer (Cleric), the Jock (Striker/DPS), the Nerd (Controller/Mage), the Normal Kid (Bard), the Outcast (Rogue), and the Popular Kid (Leader/Buffer).

But just because each Archetype has a general area in which they excel, that doesn't really impose too much in the way of outright restrictions, as most everything is done through the variety of Traits that all characters share.

For Traits you have
Core
Cool, Pluck, Imagination, Luck, Muscle

Playground
Hide, Seek, Scamper, Scrap, Throw

Study
4-H, Book Learning, Boy Scouts, Country Club, Gaming, Home Ec, Industrial Arts, Juvie

What System does Grimm use?
Grimm uses a system called Linear d6 which basically results in characters doing what they do at their skill-level 2/3rds of the time. Occasionally, however, a character will preform below par, and with team work, more often, they'll perform just slightly better.

How this works is that characters have a variety of skills that have a "Grade" (value), and when they are needed, the player rolls a d6 (or more, depending on teamwork or talents) to determine the result. On a roll of 2-5, the Skill is used at Grade-Level.

So, if the character has Hide at Grade 5, on a roll of 2-5, his skill level would count as 5. If every dice he were to roll came up a 1, however, his score would drop by 1 and he would roll again--on a roll of 2-6 that would be it, but if he were to roll another full set of 1's then he'd lose another point and have to roll again.

Likewise, if he were to roll a 6, his score would increase by 1 and he'd get to roll again, stopping on a roll of 1-5.

There are ways to increase the "boost" range, and ways to add dice via teamwork (which increases the chances of 6's and greatly decreases the chances of rolling all 1's.)

Overall this takes a large element of luck while still giving the kids a chance to pull out a victory against mighty opponents by working together--because, let's face it, a lone kid isn't going to stand much chance against a dragon or carnivorous tentacled wombat.

To see information on making a character, jump to this part of the thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=14817020#post14817020

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am interested, although I think there may be better known/more involved systems that cover this ground? For example - Don't Rest Your Head, Little Fears.

ronrab on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ronrab wrote: »
    I am interested, although I think there may be better known/more involved systems that cover this ground? For example - Don't Rest Your Head, Little Fears.

I'm not sure "more involved" equals better, personally.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No, not necessarily. :mrgreen:

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Really, the system feels perfect for the setting. It keeps luck to a minimum while still giving the characters an ability to go above their normal stats. And it does a really good job of allowing specialization without flat out locking certain archetypes out of the option all together.

One of my favorite mechanics is "Imaginings", which allows you to lower your Imagination stat by a certain number to shape the world around you--either by spawning handy items, or, as you spend more Imagination, by causing useful random events to occur.

It also has a nifty approach to combat, that kids can't melee adults too well because of their stature, but, at the same time adults can't fight kids to well because of their stature. So it gives a nice balance--the adults hit harder but don't hit as often, and the kids are forced to work together to bring down bigger/stronger foes.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hm. I'm guessing I'm not going to get enough interest in this to run a game. That's kind of sad. :(

InkSplat on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There is some interesting stuff here- do we have a link to a bit more indepth information anywhere?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure where there's actually much in-depth information posted. There's 2 reviews on geekdo, but that seems to mostly be it. I have the book though, so if there's anything in particular you want info on, I can type it up. I only didn't do it first because it would take a while and I wasn't sure if people would even care to read it. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm always interested in more info about new systems, and would be willing to give this a try if you can garner the interest.

I'd want a bit more information around a basic scenario, maybe some examples on how it would go (using common enemies and example characters), if you have such a thing on hand or could whip it up easily.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll throw something up between some NPCs tomorrow. Cinderella vs 2 Wolves, maybe.

Wolf
    Grade: 3rd
    Health: 3
    Shape: Animal
    Stature: Kid
    Speed: Fast
    Protection: 4
    Wounds: 5 (teeth)
    Cool 3rd, Pluck 3rd, Imagination 1st, Luck 1st, Muscle 4th
    Hide 4th, Seek 5th, Scamper 5th, Scrap 4th
    Boy Scouts 6th
    Pack Tactics: Wlves work in tandem to bring down large opponents. Whenever a wolf would provide a teamwork die to a fellow wolf's Scrap attack test or Muscle wrestle test, it instead provides +1 grade.
    Wild Tracker: While not as keen-nosed as dogs, which are bred for it, wolves are still formidable hunters. They gain a +2 advantage on Seek tests or Boy Scouts tests to track by smell, and a +1 advantage on Seek tests made in darkness.

Cinderella
    Grade: 6th
    Health: 6
    Shape: Person
    Stature: Adult
    Speed: Average
    Protection: 5
    Wounds: 5 or cat-o'-nine-tails (medium weapon)
    Cool 12th, Pluck 6th, Imagination 5th, Muscle 5th
    Hide 10th, Seek 7th, Scamper 4th, Scrap 4th, Throw 8th
    Country Club 11th, Home Ec 10th
    Cat-o'-Nine-Tails: When Cinderella's leather scourge tastes pain, it grows hungry for more, lashing around with a life of its own. Every time that Cinderella wounds someone with her cat-o'-nine-tails, she gains a cumulative +1 advantage on Scrap attacks for the rest of the scene.
    Soft Spot: If Cinderella is touched in a kind way by a person-shaped male, she goes to pieces and will spend the rest of the scene curled up on the floor trying to wipe off the filthiness.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm interested. Something inspired by the Grimm Brothers is always an interest to me.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Interested

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    as you know, super interested! I just rarely check the actual forum, using my subscriptions to read. Maybe we should post a link to this in the 4e thread?

Folks: I bought the PDF based on his saying how awesome it was. He was not wrong. This is a really cool system & has some great fluff & fantastic imagery. Humpty Dumpty is the Rotten King (Oddly I just made a baddie in my 4e campaign named Rotten King before I found this!), a moldy and rotten old egg. Cinderella is his hot dominatrix queen (platonic relationship, please).

The Crooked Man wanders the world, trying to make things right, but abhorring straight lines.

The Checkerboard Kingdom--the closest thing to "civilization"--is populated by insane folk who want to eat/kidnap/do horrible things to little children.

It looks fascinating. The fluff bits are what convinced me that it was incredible.

I've already made a "dreamer" kid to be in a game of this.

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    P.S. The moon hates children and shines light on them to help predators find them. Need I really say more?

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alright, so, let me throw up some examples of a situation!

First, in reality, this match-up would probably never turn into a combat, but I'll use the explanation of that as an example all by itself!

Intimidating!
    Let's say that the two wolves jump out of the forest as Cinderella is walking along. They snarl and snap their jaws, readying to pounce. Cinderella simply turns her cold, intimidating gaze upon them, and the wolves growls suddenly turn to whimpers as they turn and run with tails between their legs.

Mechanically what would have happened here is that the wolves would emerge from the forest and an action scene would begin. The wolves, who have broadcast their intentions, would go second--this means that they actually pick their actions first, and Cinderella then gets to act first knowing what will happen next.

The Wolves declare that that one is going to Scrap and the other is going to use assist via Teamwork.

Now, our fearsome Queen, who happens to not be in the mood for games, uses her Cool trait to intimidate the Wolves into backing down. Since both are able to see/hear her, they are both subject to it. Since this is intimidation, they oppose her Cool with their Pluck.

So, Cinderella has a Cool of 12, vs the Wolves with a Pluck of 3. In this case, we'll say Cinderella rolls a 3, one Wolf rolls a 1, and the other wolf rolls a 6. This means that Cinderella performs at Grade-level, meaning 12. The Wolf who rolled a 1 rolls again and gets a 3. This means that it is performing at -1 Grade-level, or 2. And the third Wolf rolls again and gets a 5, meaning it is performing at +1 Grade-level, or 4. Regardless, both of them turn tail and run--in an actual game, there wouldn't even be a need to roll in that sort of situation, as there just isn't really a chance for the two wolves to stand their ground.

Now, a full pack might be different, as they'd have reason to earn a bonus to their Pluck rolls.

However, let's say that Cinderella is in the mood to play?
    Well, in that case, she determines that she is going to move forward and attack one of the wolves with her whip, and it, being a reasonable wolf, decides to attempt to dodge.

Cinderella has a Scrap of 4, which is increased by 1 via her whip. This effectively gives her a Scrap of 5th Grade. The Wolf, on the other hand, will be using Scamper to dodge. He has a Scamper of 5, and since he is smaller than Cinderella, gets a +1 bonus, giving him an effective Scamper of 6th Grade.

Cinderella rolls a 4 on her Scrap, which means she performs at-Grade, so, 5. The wolf also rolls a 4, meaning he also performs at-grade, so, 6. In this case, the wolf shifts out of the way just as the Queen's cat-o'-nine-tails snaps through the air where he had been.

Now the wolf gets to attack. He has a Scrap of 4th, but due to teamwork and the wolves special ability, he gets an effective Scrap of 5th. Cinderella, rather than attempting to dodge, is going to try and deflect the lunge, so she opposes the wolf's Scrap with her own. Cinderella has a Scrap of 4th, increased by 1 due to the fact that she is of larger stature in a Scrap vs Scrap contest, for an effective Scrap of 5th Grade.

Both combatants rolls within normal range, so they both end up with a Scrap of 5. This counts as a "Glancing Blow" and Cinderella, though she takes no wounds, will suffer a -1 on all checks she makes until the end of her next turn.

Now, because Cinderella has Cool as an "Iconic Trait" (denoted by me putting it in italics), which means it is sort of.. the basis of her character, she has the special ability of "Protecting her Rep", which allows her to substitute her Cool once per scene for any other Check. She could have used it here to defend herself, but instead she'll use it on her next attack.

For the next round, the wolves decide that one is going to attempt to Wrestle Cinderella while the other Scraps.

Having had her dress soiled by the wolf, Cinderella's skin flushes as rage overcomes her. She lets out a vicious shout as she strikes.

Determined to protect her reputation, Cinderella uses Cool instead of Scrap to attack one of the wolves, but because of the glancing blow from last round, she has an effective Grade of 11. The wolf, as before, opposes with Scamper, so it ends up being 11 vs 6 and Cinderella catches the wolf right in the face with her clawed-whip.

Now, in this situation Cinderella would deal 5 wounds as a base. However, for every 3 that you win a Scrap test by, you deal +1 wound. Cinderella won by 5, so that increases her wound-dealing potential to 6. And on top of that, she'll spend her weapon's combat maneuver for the round to increase that to 7.

The Wolf has a protection of 4, which means it takes 3 Wounds, which kills it. Cinderella pretty much tore an eye out along with plenty of flesh. And, by wounding with her attack, she gains +1 Scrap thanks to her Cat-o'-Nine-Tails talent.

The other wolf decides not to stick around and takes off after failing a Pluck test due to the scene it just witnessed.

Wow, that was longer than I thought it would be. :P Hopefully I didn't make that sound more confusing than it actually is!

InkSplat on
  • Options
    TenshicakesTenshicakes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm interested.

Tenshicakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Were can I get the PDF for this?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    samurai, it is available from fantasy flight games as a 20$ download. (sold via drivethroughRPG)

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And as I can understand people not wanting to invest $20 just to play, I can definitely work on getting all the important info typed up.

Seems like we definitely have enough people interested for a game though, so I'll get the character creation stuff up tonight or tomorrow so people can start making characters.

Not sure how many people to play with though, will probably do 4 or 5.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=63&esem=4

I think you can dl the basic rules here, too, for free!

streever on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm Interested.

I have very little roleplaying experience though.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ugh. Holy crap this is taking longer than I expected. :lol:

CHARACTER CREATION pt. 1

Character Sheet
    Name: ---
    Description
    ---

Personality
    ---

Wounds: 4
    Cool --, Pluck --, Imagination --, Luck--, Muscle --
    Hide --, Seek --, Scamper --, Throw --
    4-H --, Book Learning --, Boy Scouts --, Country Club --
    Gaming --, Home Ec --, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Keepsake: --

Archetypes
    The Bully
    Starting Traits
    Cool 2nd, Pluck 1st, Imagination 1st, Luck 1st, Muscle 4th
    Hide 1st, Seek 2nd, Scamper 1st, Scrap 4th, Throw 2nd
    4-H --, Book Learning 1st, Boy Scouts --, Country Club --
    Gaming --, Home Ec --, Industrial Arts 3rd, Juvie 2nd

Specialty: Bullies always roll an extra an extra die on the initial roll of their Scrap tests.

Flaw: Each time the Bully suffers a wound, he must make a Pluck test with a difficulty of one grade per his total number of wounds (including the just-suffered wound). If he fails, he becomes scared, and continues to be scared until the wound has been healed or the source of his injury is neutralized or no longer present.

Beginning Archetype Ability:
    Threats: The Bully may spend a turn making an opposed Cool test against a character within a stone's throw who can see or hear him. The characters need not understand the Bully's language, so long as he is intelligent enough to read the Bully's body language or tone of voice. Additionally, the target character must fulfill at least one of the following three requirements:

1. Has a lower personal grade than the Bully
    2. Has a lower Muscle trait than the Bully
    3. Is of a smaller stature than the Bully

If the Bully wins an opposed test, he receives an advantage on his Scrap tests against the target for this scene. The advantage is equal to +1 for each grade by which the Bully wins the test.

---

The Dreamer
    Starting Traits
    Cool 1st, Pluck 1st, Imagination 4th, Luck 2nd, Muscle 1st
    Hide 2nd, Seek 4th, Scamper 2nd, Scrap 1st, Throw 2nd
    4-H 1st, Book Learning 2nd, Boy Scouts 1st, Country Club --
    Gaming 3rd, Home Ec 1st, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Specialty: Dreamers always roll an extra die on the initial roll of Imagination tests.

Flaw: The Dreamer suffers a -1 to all tests made against charm spells, illusions, and similar abilities that toy with the mind.

I Think I Can:
    Dreamers may choose two Iconic Core traits, one which is automatically Imagination. Alternatively, if a Dreamer wishes, she may choose Imagination as her only iconic Core trait--in such a case, each single Imagination that a Dreamer expends, she may generate an imagining as if she had expended two Imagination.

---

The Jock
    Starting Traits
    Cool 2nd, Pluck 2nd, Imagination 1st, Luck 1st, Muscle 3rd
    Hide 1st, Seek 1st, Scamper 4th, Scrap 2nd, Throw 4th
    4-H --, Book Learning 1st, Boy Scouts --, Country Club --, Gaming --, Home Ec --, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Specialty: Jocks may choose their specialty from among Scamper, Muscle, or Throw, depending on their sports of choice. Whichever trait the Jock chooses as his specialty, he always rolls an extra die on the initial roll when testing in that trait.

Flaw: Jocks may only focus on, step up on, or receive teamwork bonus dice on Scamper, Muscle, and Throw tests. If the Jock's iconic Core trait is Luck, he may also only expend Luck on the above tests.

The Winning Play:
    Once per scene, without spending his turn, the Jock may gain +1 grade to Scamper, Throw, and Muscle tests for the rest of the scene. Thereafter, the Jock's Muscle trait is expended by one grade.

---

The Nerd
    Starting Traits
    Cool 1st, Pluck 2nd, Imagination 2nd, Luck 1st, Muscle 1st
    Hide 3rd, Seek 4th, Scamper 1st, Scrap 1st, Throw 1st
    4-H 1st, Book Learning 4th, Boy Scouts 1st, Country Club --
    Gaming 4th, Home Ec --, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Specialty: Nerds always roll an extra die on the initial roll of all Study traits.

Flaw: Nerds may never focus on, step up on, or receive teamwork bonus dice on Cool, Muscle, or Scrap tests. If the Nerd's iconic Core trait is Luck, he may not expend Luck on the above tests.

Studious:
    At character creation and again each time a Nerd increases in personal grade, two of his Study traits increase by one grade each, at no credit cost.

---

The Normal Kid
    Starting Traits
    Cool 2nd, Pluck 2nd, Imagination 2nd, Luck 2nd, Muscle 2nd
    Hide 2nd, Seek 2nd, Scamper 2nd, Scrap 2nd, Throw 2nd
    4-H --, Book Learning 2nd, Boy Scouts --, Country Club --, Gaming --, Home Ec --, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Specialty: A Normal Kid may choose any one trait as his specialty. When making a test in this trait, the Normal Kid always rolls an extra die on his initial roll.

Flaw: First, the Normal Kid cannot have a trait that exceeds any other trait of its type by more than one grade. For instance, if a kid has Muscle 3rd grade and 2nd grade in his other Core traits, he must advance all of his other Core traits to 3rd before he can advance Muscle to 4th Grade.

Second, when presented with several targets at any point in combat, an opponent always chooses to attack the Normal Kid. Additionally, in situations where a harful effect, such as a spell or widespread attack, could just as easily not include the Normal Kid as include him, the attack always includes him, even if it means fewer nearby kids are included.

Bonus Talent:
    A Normal Kid may select one additional talent during character creation.

---

The Outcast
    Starting Traits
    Cool 1st, Pluck 1st, Imagination 2nd, Luck 2nd, Muscle 1st
    Hide 4th, Seek 2nd, Scamper 2nd, Scrap 1st, Throw 2nd
    4-H --, Book Learning 2nd, Boy Scouts --, Country Club --, Gaming --, Home Ec 1st, Industrial Arts --, Juvie 4th

Specialty: Outcasts may choose to specialize in either Hide or Juvie. Whichever is chosen, the Outcast always rolls an extra die on the initial roll for the chosen test.

Flaw: Whenever an Outcast attempts to speak to anyone other than a kid, say anything in public, or even draw a monster's attention away from his friends, the Outcast must make a Pluck test with a difficulty equal to the primary listener's or watcher's Cool grade. If he fails, he is unable to do so.

The Outcast also receives a -1 disadvantage on the test if the person or creature he is trying to address is one of authority, considerable power, or great presence. If speaking in public to no one in particular, the difficulty of the test is 1st grade, plus 1 grade per 5 non-kid listeners or watchers nearby.

Forgettable:
    Whenever the gang is attacked in an action scene, the Outcast is the last person in the gang to be targeted by foes on the first round.

Additionally, when presented with several equal targets at any point in combat, a creature never chooses to attack the Outcast. Finally, in situations where a harmful effect like a spell or a widespread attack could just as easily include the Outcast in its area as not include him, the attack does not include him.

The Popular Kid
    Starting Traits
    Cool 4th, Pluck 1st, Imagination 1st, Luck 1st, Muscle 1st
    Hide 1st, Seek 1st, Scamper 2nd, Scrap 1st, Throw 1st
    4-H --, Book Learning 3rd, Boy Scouts --, Country Club 4th
    Gaming --, Home Ec 1st, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Specialty:A Popular Kid always rolls an extra die on the initial roll of Cool tests.

Flaw: Popular Kids have a hard time refusing temptations and resisting despair. Popular Kids suffer a -2 disadvantage on any attempt to resist despair and temptations. The narrator can also call for the Popular Kid to make a Pluck test whenever confronted with the opportunity to take something without immediate, obvious consequences.

Beginning Archetype Ability
    Ridicule:
    Popular Kids have an uncanny ability to undermine others' confidence. The ability only works against characters within a stone's throw who can hear the Popular Kid. They must understand at least the basics of the Popular Kid's language and be intelligent enough to feel self-doubt. To use this ability, the Popular Kid must spend her turn and make an opposed Cool test against the target, mocking its abilities, ideas, or even its appearance. If she wins the test the target suffers a -1 disadvantage on all trait tests for a number of rounds equal to the number of grades by which the Popular Kid won the test. An opponent may only be affected by this ability once per scene.

I'll post more tomorrow, hopefully.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    BeerbabyBeerbaby Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am certainly interested!

Patrick "Tricky" Tivendale - 3rd-grade Jock - Age 9 and 3 months.

---

Patrick was raised by his grandmother; abandoned by his mother who left in mysterious circumstances - from what he can remember, Gran didn't approve of Patrick's father, and she and his mother argued regularly about him.

Educated at home, and raised to be a proper little gentleman, Patrick (or `Tricky', as he is known to the lads), is a dab hand at a number of gentlemanly arts. He can place a lawn bowl next to the jack, putt like a pro, and he is the reigning junior champion croquet player of the Golden Oaks Country Club.

For the most part he is a good kid, but he is frustrated at having so little contact with others of his own age, and as such has turned working around his grandmother's restrictions into an art.

---

Core: Cool 3rd, Pluck 3rd, Imagination 1st, Luck 1st, Muscle 2nd
    Play: Hide 1st, Seek 1st, Scamper 2nd, Scrap 2nd, Throw 5th
    Study: Book Learning 2nd, Country Club 3rd, Home Ec 1st, Juvie 3rd

Specialty: Throw
    Iconic: Pluck
    Talents: Home-schooled, David & Goliath

Keepsake: Croquet Mallet

Beerbaby on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Benny, the dreamer
    Name: Benny
    Description
    A small, slight boy, Benny wears over-sized glasses & is in pajamas. He carries with him a small blanket, something that would earn him ridicule in the real world. His dark black hair is big and his oval face is typically pointed at the ground, focused only on his own internal world.

Personality
    Benny is always lost in thought, being an archetypal dreamer. He is slow to respond, and was thought to be a bit slow in first grade, until the teachers discovered he simply couldn't see the board. Absorbed in books and drawing, Benny has shown little interest in the outside world. His drawings are endless variations on the same theme--brave knights and heroes.

Cool 1, Pluck 1, Imagination 5, Luck 3, Muscle 1
    Hide 3, Seek 4, Scamper 2, Scrap 1, Throw 2
    4-H 1, Book Learning 1, Boy Scouts 2, Country Club --
    Gaming 6, Home Ec 1, Industrial Arts --, Juvie --

Speciality:
    Iconic: Imagination x2
    Talents: Art School, Kid Magician

Keepsake: blankie, or glasses? not sure

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Still interested!

Thanks for typing all that in, Ink. Note to players: there are longer descriptions of the archetypes at the link streever gave above, specifically a pdf here.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My current character idea is Locke, Dreamer and pirate, who will be statted properly once I have access to more of the creation rules.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Note for everyone whose made a character already--make sure to use the 8 credits you get to increase your Traits as outlined in this section.

I'll have the Talents up in a bit.

Edit: Added in the extra bit about being able to shift your starting stats around a bit.
    CHARACTER CREATION, pt. 2

Traits
    Credits
    When you create your character (and when you increase your personal grade (level up) you get 8 Credits to spend to increase your starting Traits. Each category of Traits, however, has a different cost to raise.

Core - 3 credits to increase the Trait by 1.
    Playground - 2 credits to increase the Trait by 1.
    Study - 1 credit to increase the Trait by 1.

Additionally, you can lower 1 of your starting traits in each category to increase one other in the same category. (Example: You can lower 4-H by 1 to increase Juvie by 1.) However, you cannot lower a trait below 1.

Iconic Core Trait
    Each beginning kid may choose a single Core trait that becomes his iconic trait. Unlike other traits, which are fairly static, your iconic trait may fluctuate throughout the game session. By voluntarily expending that trait (lowering it by one or more grade levels until the end of the story), you can do amazing things.

Note that some talents, keepsakes, talismans, and spells may allow a character to expend Core traits other than his iconic trait for various effects.

Core Traits
    COOL
    Cool is how good you are at saying and doing the right things. It's how good you are at making others like you, and how practiced you are at figuring out what it takes to make that happen. Cool is used whenever any kind of social test must be made. It is used to manipulate others or to figure out if others are trying to manipulate you.

Cool is generally opposed by Cool, but occasionally Pluck when intimidation or a dare and such is being used.

Protecting Your Rep
    If you choose Cool as your iconic trait, you have a special option, called Protecting Your Rep. Once per scene when making a test in a trait that is lower than your Cool, you may use your Cool trait instead of the appropriate trait, plus whatever advantages or disadvantages would be normal for the test. After doing so, your Cool is expended by one grade.

---

PLUCK
    Pluck is, basically, your bravery and will. Pluck tests are usually reactive, such as when a creature scares you or a witch tries to hypnotize you. If you succeed at the Pluck test, you can act normally. If you fail, you have to do whatever a scared little kid would do, or whatever the villain wants you to do if she's trying to mind-control you.

Pluck tests may also be called for when you want to do something dangerous (or something that just seems dangerous) such as walking across a swinging rope bridge that sways over a bottomless chasm, or climb the tendril of a giant beanstalk that heads up towards the clouds. If you succeed at the Pluck test, you can make the attempt. If you fail, you cannot.. yet.

Being Brave
    If you choose Pluck as your iconic trait, you have a special option, called Being Brave. Once per scene before making a Pluck test, you may expend one Pluck grade to automatically succeed at the test.

Alternatively, you may choose to act even though you're shaking in your shoes or under someone else's control. Once per scene after failing a Pluck test, you may expend one Pluck grade to act somewhat normally. You still suffer a disadvantage on all trait tests for the scene equal to the number of grades by which you failed the original Pluck test, but at least you can try to help your friends.

---

IMAGINATION
    Imagination is the ability to see the unlikely, to think of the unusual, to be empathetic, and to be creative.

Using you Imagination
    If you choose Imagination as your iconic trait, it becomes your secret weapon against the many terrible forces arrayed against you in the Grimm Lands. It is the power to shape reality.

Characters who have chosen Imagination as their iconic core trait may spend their turns to expend an amount of Imagination equal to half their personal grade level (round down). A standard use of Imagination changes the world around the character in some particular and usually short-term way.

The only restrictions to an expenditure of Imagination is that it should not directly replicate another character's ability, talent, or known spell, nor should it be able to directly damage or destroy.

Imaginings
    Level 1 Imaginings
    Expending Imagination allows a character to create minor changes to her environment that appear as coincidental developments. Such a use is always personal and takes place immediately on or adjacent to the character. A level 1 imagining cannot affect other characters, though it can create small, simple items. These items must be generic (so for instance, a level 1 imagining could not create a key to fit a specific lock). Also, such items exist for short durations (1d6 rounds). Examples of level 1 imaginings include the following:

--Find an insignificant item on your person, like a truffle under your hat or a candy cane in your pocket.

--Cause to appear a small, useful item nearby, such as a short length of rope, a torch, or some flint and steel. You must make a 2nd-Grade test as appropriate to cause the item to appear, whether it be Seek to find the item, Home Ec to create it quickly from unlikely materials and so on. Finally, you must be able to explain how it came to be (you found the unlit torch that someone dropped in his haste to escape a monster, or you wove the rope together out of strands of Rapunzel's hair that happened to be wafting by on the wind). Only you can find or create the item, and each explanation can only be used once; this rule applies to all levels of imaginings that cause items to appear.

-- Heal yourself of one wound.

-- Increase your boost range by 1 on a single roll (this does not require spending your turn).

Level 2 Imaginings
    Expending 2 Imagination allows a character to cause less subtle changes to her environment that appear as fortuitous happenings. They may be mild environmental changes, even affecting other characters, but must take place within a cricket's hop of the character. A level 2 imagining can create simple items of medium size and middling complexity, which last for slightly longer than level 1 imaginings (1d6 minutes). Examples of level 2 Imaginings include the following:

-- Find a dagger in your belt or a gold coin in your boot.

-- Find or cause an item to appear as with level 1 imaginings, but item may be larger or more complex, such as a medium hand weapon, a small guard dog, or a pair of manacles. You must make a 4th-grade test to find or create the item.

-- Heal yourself of two wounds.

-- Heal another character for one wound.

-- Increase your boost range by 2 on a single roll (this does not require spending your turn).

-- Inflict a -1 disadvantage to an adjacent creature's next test. You must explain why this happens, such as because there's a banana under its foot causing it to slip. Each explanation can only be used once. This requirement applies to all levels of imaginings that inflict disadvantages.

---

LUCK
    If the narrator is asked what happens and it's not a scripted event, and no other trait seems to apply, a Luck test is appropriate. Maybe the witch chooses that exact moment to come home, or maybe she doesn't. Maybe the giant wakes up just as the kids are sneaking out of their cage, or maybe he continues to slumber. Luck tests are called for whenever nothing but random chance is involved.

Calling on Luck
    If you choose Luck as your Iconic trait, you gain a special option called Calling on Luck. You should save this for when your chips are down and everything looks hopeless. If you are asked to make a non-Core trait test that you can't possibly make, even with creativity and teamwork, you can call on luck to raise your grade in the trait for that single test. Your current luck is expended by a number of grades equal to the advantage you give to the other trait. Thus, against all odds, you could hit the center of the bullseye with the arrow (by raising your Throw), or duck into a hole just as the giant is about to squash you flat (by raising your Scamper), and so on.

You can only expend a number of grades equal to half your Personal Grade Level, rounded down; so a 4th grade kid could expend at most 2 grades of Luck to raise his grade for a single test.

---

MUSCLE
    When the monster finally gets a hold of you and stuffs you in his mouth, it's Muscle that lets you bust your way out. Muscle is also useful for forcing open that door, carrying your wounded companion, or winning arm wrestling matches. Muscle also plays an important role during wrestling.

Shake It Off
    If you choose Muscle as your iconic trait, you gain a special option called Shake It Off. Usually, whenever you suffer from wounds, you suffer a -1 disadvantage per wound to all of your tests. But if you shake it off by expending one Muscle grade, you can ignore those wounds for the rest of the scene.

---

Playground Traits
    HIDE
    This one is pretty self-explanatory. Hiding, Sneaking. It is opposed by Seek.

SEEK
    Seeking via sight, scent, hearing, or hunches. Seek is the trait tested whenever you want to try and find something. It is opposed most often by Hide, but occasionally also by Seek in the case of two people looking for the same thing to see which finds it first.

SCAMPER
    Scamper is climbing, jumping, swimming, dodging, rolling, or straight-out running. Scamper is opposed by Scamper in terms of races and other athletic scenarios. Scamper may also be used as a defensive trait in Combat. The smaller you are than your attacker, the easier it is to dodge.

SCRAP
    Scrap is pushing, shoving, and fighting. Scrap tests are almost always opposed, most often in combat. Two characters shoving each other, or both fumbling for the same magic gem. In combat, if you're attacking someone in melee, you use Scrap, where it is opposed by Scrap or Scamper.

THROW
    Throw is used for throwing or aiming. Outside of combat it is usually opposed by Throw. Inside of combat it is opposed by a target's Scamper. The larger the target is than the Thrower, the harder it is for him to dodge the attack.

Study Traits
    4-H
    4-H is your ability to interact with the natural world in a friendly way. Agriculture, befriending animals, or caring for the sick are all covered by the 4-H trait. This also includes gathering nuts or berries or wood, or even gauging the weather for the season.

BOOK LEARNING
    Grammar, Math, Science, Social Studies. These skills are all greatly lacking in the residents of the Grimm Lands.

BOY SCOUTS
    Whereas 4-H is more of a long-term relationship with nature, Boy Scouts is a trait of short-term survival. First aid, surviving hazards, navigation and maps, starting fires, tracking, and hunting.

Boy Scouts can be used to perform first aid. If a character's wounds are tended by someone with at least 1st grade in Boy Scouts in the scene immediately after the wounds were suffered, his disadvantages can be lessened. The difficulty of this test is equal to the number of wounds the character sustained in the previous scene (so, a minimum of 1st grade). If the test is successful, the wounded character's disadvantages from his most recently sustained wounds are reduced by 1. The wounds are still there, they're just not causing him as much difficulty.

A character can only benefit from one first aid attempt after each scene, whether it is successful or not.

COUNTRY CLUB
    Manners and etiquette, along with "upper class" activities. Horse riding, waltzing, playing the piano, sailing a yacht.

In special cases where the character's level of artistic talent or social skills are still of concern, as during a courtly music contest or introduction of a court emissary, the character must use the average of her Country Club and, for instance, her Imagination or Cool grades.

GAMING
    Gaming represents a kid's knowledge of games and fantasy lore. It also represents their ability to learn magic thanks to their use of controllers and experience reading/playing about all the various ways in which it can be performed.

Gaming can be used to learn and cast magical spells, and to recognize familiar fairy tale settings and characters, and their soft spots.

Learning Magic
    Magic can be learned in 3 different ways. Spells are ranked in terms of 6 different circles.

Apprenticeship
    Apprenticeship is when someone who knows the spell is actively teaching it to you. In this case you must have a Gaming score equal to twice the circle of the spell you are attempting to learn, and you must devote a certain number of days to study.

1st-Circle takes one day of study. 2nd-circle spells take double that (two days); 3rd-circle spells take double this (four days); and so on up to 6th-circle spells taking 32 days to learn.

Study
    Study is when you find a spell recorded somewhere. For this method, the Gaming requirement is the same as Apprenticeship, but the time requirement is doubled for each circle.

In addition, until a character successfully casts a newly studied magical spell, instead of nothing happening on a failed attempt, the spell goes dreadfully wrong. A character must cast a studied spell successfully three times in a row to master it to remove the chance of it going haywire.

Precociousness
    Precociousness is picking up magic through witnessing it being used. Whenever a kid witnesses a magical spell being used, she can attempt to copy it if she succeeds in a Gaming test with a difficulty of twice the circle of the spell being used. During an action scene, watching a magical spell takes up a kid's turn every round until the power being watched is completed. The kid must see and hear every part of the casting to make the test. If he succeeds, the kid may attempt to duplicate the spell during at least the next day, and possibly longer.

To duplicate a magical spell that he has successfully observed, a kid attempts to use the spell as normal. The character may not step up or focus on the test, and characters wishing to contribute teamwork dice must have grade levels in Gaming equal to twice the circle of the spell. If the test succeeds, the spell is used successfully, and is considered to have been learned just as if the kid had studied it. However, for each scene that passes after the one in which the power was learned, the difficulty of the Gaming test to use it increases by 1.

If a kid can spend an entire scene writing down notes and sketches of what she has observed, while making a Gaming test at the spell's current difficulty, she manages to record enough of the basics to formally study the spell later.

However, any spell learned through this method never becomes "mastered", so that if a kid ever fails to cast it, it goes haywire rather than simply fizzling.

HOME EC
    Home Ec is used for those things like cleaning, sewing, cooking, and other such tasks. When teamed with Imaginations, however, it can be quite a useful set of skills--not to mention even by itself it might give you a bargaining chip or an opportunity to trick a witch attempting to eat you.

When artistic talent is also in question, such as for decorative items, a character must use the average of his Home Ec and Imagination grades.

INDUSTRIAL ARTS
    Building or using machinery, building structures, crafting functional objects. Metalworking and blacksmithing, woodworking, irrigation, and architecture.

Industrial Arts is used to create and undo booby traps.

JUVIE
    Picking locks, concealing weapons, picking pockets, disguises.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There are a lot of Talents, sooo.. this might take a while.

General Talents, A-G
    Against the Odds
    Requirement: May not be a Bully, Scrap 4th.
    Whenever facing an opponent whose personal grade level is higher than yours, you gain a +1 advantage on Scrap tests against that opponent.
    Special: You may expend one Muscle without spending your turn to increase the wounds you inflict against one higher-grade opponent by +1. This bonus lasts for the rest of the turn.

Animal Friend
    Requirement: 4-H 6th
    Once per story when you encounter a non-talking animal, you may attempt to befriend it. To do so, you must be able to peacefully interact with the animal without any time pressure (over several minutes at a minimum). You must make a 4-H test against the animal's personal grade level +3. If you succeed, the animal will accompany you on your current quest and protect or aid you to the best of its ability, so long as it is well-treated. An animal friend will not sacrifice itself for you, nor does it gain any capabilities or communication skills beyond those of a normal animal.
    Special: You may spend your turn and expend one Cool to call for a nearby animal to come to your aid when you are in need of help, being attacked, and the like. You must make the 4-H test as normal, but do not need the several minutes of peaceful interaction to do so.

Big Kid
    Requirement: Muscle 4th.
    Although your stature is kid-sized, you are considered adult-sized for the purposes of using Scrap as a defense trait (but not as an attack trait) and when making opposed Muscle tests, including when wrestling.
    Special: When it really counts, you can be as tough as any grownup. You may spend your turn and expend one Muscle to improve your stature protection by +1 for the duration of the scene. This ability may only be used during an action scene.

Cat-like Reflexes
    Requirement: Paranoid, Scamper 8th, Seek 8th
    At the beginning of each action scene, you may spend a single turn before anyone else, and in addition to your normal turn. If another character has a similar ability, whoever wins an opposed Scamper test may act first.

This ability may not be used in conjunction with Flying Fists, Hyper, or any other ability that grants you additional actions.

Crack Shot
    Requirement: Throw 4th
    On your initial roll for all Throw tests, you boost to the next grade on a roll of 5 or 6 instead of only 6. Subsequent rolls have a target range of 6, as normal.

If you focus on a throw test, the boost range increases to 4-6 for the first turn spent focusing, to 3-6 for the second turn, and so on.
    Special: After focusing on Throw and before making a Throw test, you may expend one or more Luck. If you do so, your increased target number range carries over to one subsequent roll per Luck expended. For each subsequent roll after the first, however, your increased target number range decreases by one.

Curative Nature
    Requirement: Healer, 4-H 10th
    When nursing the sick, your patients benefit at four times the normal rate.

Cute as a Button
    Requirement: Cool 6th
    Before any actions are taken at the start of any social or action scene, one minor character of your choice within a cricket's hop must make a Cool test opposed by your Cool. If you win during a social scene, the character must gaze in wonder and listen to you speak, without interrupting or taking any actions, for around ten seconds per grade by which you won the test. If you win during an action scene, the character may act normally, but refuses to attack you (and does its best not to include you in any area affects) until you do something against its wishes (like attack its favorite treasure, or try to run away)
    Special: Before making the Cool test, you may expend one Imagination to target a number of additional minor characters with this ability equal to your personal grade level.

David and Goliath
    Whenever facing an opponent whose stature is larger than yours, you gain a +1 advantage on attack tests against that opponent.
    SPecial: If you succeed at the attack test against a larger opponent, you may expend one Pluck to also inflict +1 wound.

Dirty Fighter
    Requirement: Juvie 4th, Scrap 4th
    If you attempt a Scrap attack against an opponent that you've ambushed, you gain +1 grade to your test.
    Special: If you succeed at the Scrap test against an ambushed opponent, you may expend one Muscle to also inflict +1 wound.

Doctor Doolittle
    Requirement: Animal Friend, 4-H 8th
    You may acquire two animal friends per story.

Earnest Apprentice
    Requirement: Gaming 6th
    You gain +1 advantage on Gaming tests made to learn progressive powers whose base power you already know. Also, when you use magic against others, your target suffers a -1 disadvantage on their tests to resist the effects.

Favorite Weapon
    Requirement: Scrap 4th
    On your initial roll for Scrap tests using that type of weapon, you boost to the next grade on a roll of 5 or 6 instead of only 6. Subsequent rolls have a target range of 6, as normal.

If you focus on a Scrap test while using that type of weapon, the boost range increases to 4-6 for the first turn spent focusing, to 3-6 for the second turn, and so on.

When choosing your favorite weapon, you must be more specific than simply "light hand weapon" or "heavy medium weapon," so you might pick light hand knives or medium wood axes, heavy swords. However, you don't need to choose a single precise weapon to gain the benefit. For example, if you choose knives as your favorite weapon, you don't need to always use the exact same pocket knife to gain the benefit.

Special: After focusing on Scrap, but before making a Scrap test with your favorite weapon, you may also expend one or more Muscle. If you do so, your increase boost range carries over to one subsequent roll per Muscle expended. For each subsequent roll after the first, however, your increased boost range decreases by one.

First Responder
    Requirement: 4-H 4th, Boy Scouts 4th
    When you succeed at a first aid test, you may heal up to 2 recently suffered wounds.

Fleet-Footed
    Requirement: Scamper 3rd
    When you do nothing but move, your speed is one step faster than normal.
    Special: You can summon up extra speed even when doing other things. By expending one Muscle, your speed for the scene is one step faster than normal, even for the half-speed distance that you may travel in addition to other activities performed during your turn.

Flying Fists
    Requirement: Heavy-Handed, Scrap 10th
    When you spend your turn attacking and are holding no weapons, you may make an additional attack on your turn. This talent may not be used in conjunction with Hyper, or any other ability that grants you additional actions.

Full-Grown
    Requirement: Big Kid, Muscle 8th
    You become adult-sized.
    Special: If you have the Strong Back talent, you may now expend 1 Imagination and 1 Muscle to become moose-sized during an action scene, rather than expend 1 Imagination to become adult-sized.

Furious Deflection
    Requirement: Scrap 6th, Seek 6th
    You may use Scrap as a defense trait against Throw tests. If you choose to spend your turn defending another character, you may defend the target against Throw tests just as easily as you can against Scrap tests (so, if you succeed at the defense test, you deflect the Throw attack rather than having to suffer its effects).

Grip on Reality
    Requirement: Seek 4th
    You gain +1 grade on tests to see past illusions and disguises, as well as +1 grade on tests to resist powers or magical spells that would cloud your judgement.

General Talents H-N
    Hawk-eyed
    Requirement: Seek 3rd
    You gain a +2 advantage on Seek tests made to notice or find small or hidden things, whether up-close or at a distance. This advantage does not apply to tests made to detect ambushes.

Haymaker
    Requirement: Scrap 6th
    On the first set of dice that you roll on a Scrap test, you boost to the next grade level on a roll of 5 or 6 instead of only 6. Subsequent rolls have a target of 6, as normal.

If you focus on a Scrap test, the boost range increases to 4-6 for the first turn spent focusing, to 3-6 for the second turn, and so on.

The increased boost range from this feat does not stack with that provided by Favorite Weapon or other abilities.

Imagination: After focusing on Scrap and before making a Scrap test, you may expend one or more Imagination grade. If you do so, your increased target number range carries over to one subsequent roll per Imagination expended. For each subsequent roll, however, your increased target number range decreases by one.

Healer
    Whenever performing tests to heal others, whether via medical care or first aid, you gain +2 advantage.

Heavy-Handed
    Requirement: Muscle 6th
    When you make a successful Scrap attack and aren't holding a weapon, you inflict +1 wound.

Hyper
    Requirement: Scamper 8th
    By expending one Muscle, you can spend your turn doing two things in a single round. You may only use this ability once per turn, and it may not be used in conjunction with Flying Fists or any other ability that grants you additional actions.

I Don't Want to Grow Up!
    Requirement: Personal Grade level 6th or less
    You may immediately improve two Playground traits by one grade each. However, you hereafter suffer a -2 disadvantage on tests against temptation or despair.

I'm the Best
    Requirement: 10th grade in a trait
    Choose one trait in which you have 10th grade or higher. If you succeed on a test in that trait and score above 12th grade, you succeed miraculously. A minor character that you hit might be knocked out with one blow, you may recite an entire treatise from memory, or you may master a spell that no wizard has been able to learn in a millennia.

Iconic to the Extreme
    Requirement: 8th grade in your iconic Core trait
    If you make a successful test in your iconic Core trait that the narrator deems to be extremely dramatic, heroic, or amazing, you regain one expended grade in that trait.

In the Nards!
    Requirement: Dirty Fighter or Outcast Cheap Shot ability, Scrap 8th.
    If you successfully use your Dirty Fighter or Cheap Shot ability, your target suffers double the normal disadvantage from the wounds you inflict on it (-2 per wound instead of -1 per wound). If the target is a major character, this effect lasts until the next turn; if the target is a minor character, it lasts for the rest of the scene.

Journeyman Wizard
    Requirement: Earnest Apprentice, Gaming 8th
    You gain a +1 advantage on Gaming tests made as part of a magical duel. Additionally, you may advance directly to the 2nd circle on the first turn that you begin to perform magic, though doing so increases the spell's final Gaming difficulty by 1 grade.

Judo Throw
    Requirement: Karate Kid, Scrap 8th
    Once per round when an opponent misses you with a Scrap attack, you may immediately try to throw it onto its back. Make a Scrap attack opposed by its defense trait as normal, but you gain an advantage to your Scrap test equal to the amount by which your opponent just missed you. If you win, your opponent lands on its backside on the other side of you. It suffers disadvantages and movement reductions until the end of its next turn as if it were being wrestled by a character of its own stature.

Use of this talent uses up your next turn, which can be spend doing nothing but moving half your normal speed.

Special: For each Imagination you expend, you may attempt to throw an additional opponent who misses you during the round. If you expend 2 Muscle you may throw your opponent a cricket's hop away instead of merely on the other side of you.

Karate Kid
    Requirement: Scrap 6th
    When you use Scrap as a defense trait, you may treat it as Scamper for the purposes of stature. This means that, regardless of whether you defend with Scrap or Scamper, you always gain an advantage on defense rolls against larger opponents.

Kid's Best Friend
    At the end of the story, assuming you've treated him well, one of your animal friends will happily stay with you. You begin the next story with that animal friend.

Kid Magician
    Requirement: Gaming 6th
    You can manipulate magic without letting it get to you. You gain +1 advantage on all estrangement tests, and all weakening disadvantages from magic are reduced by one (to a minimum of -1 per spell).

Monkey Bar Master
    Whenever swinging, climbing, or otherwise using your arms as much as your feet to get around, you gain a +2 advantage on Scamper.

Special: You have learned how to fuel your climbing ability with Imagination to defy even gravity! Once per scene by expending Imagination, you may climb as though there was no gravity (climbing on ceilings, on slick vertical surfaces with no handholds, etc.) for a number of minutes equal to the Imagination expended.

Named Weapon
    Requirement: Favorite Weapon, Scrap 8th
    Not only have you trained with a specific type of weapon, you've also carried the same one around with you for so long that it has become famous. Either you've given it a pet name, or the local storytellers have. When wielding your named weapon, you inflict +1 wound on a successful attack.

If your saga uses the advanced weaponry rules, you instead gain 1 extra combat move per turn when wielding your named weapon.

If your named weapon is ever permanently destroyed or lost, you suffer a -1 disadvantage on all tests during the next story. Thereafter, you gain a new named weapon.

Special: By expending 1 Imagination, you may determine the direction and approximate distance (with-in ten miles, or portion thereof if it's closer than that) of your named weapon.

Nobody's Fool
    Requirement: Cool 8th, Seek 8th
    With a mere glance at someone, you can tell whether they mean well or wish to do you and your friends harm.

General Traits, P-Z
    Pack Alpha
    Requirement: Pack Beta, 4-H 10th
    Your animal friends' Muscle, Pluck, Scrap, and Personal Grade level all increase by +2 when you are within eyesight. These bonuses supersede (do not stack with) the bonuses from Pack Beta.

Pack Beta
    Your animal friends' Muscle, Pluck, Scrap, and Personal grade levels all increase by +1 when you are within eyesight.

Paranoid
    Requirement: Scamper 4th
    When you are ambushed, you may still act before your ambusher on the first round.

Put It All on the Line
    Requirement: Scamper 6th, Scrap 6th, Throw 6th
    You may elect to put it all on the line before rolling a Scamper, Scrap, or Throw test. Before you roll any dice, declare your intent to use this ability. Your boost range for the test increases by one, as if you had focused (from 6 to 5-6, or from 5-6 to 4-6, and so on). However, if you do not succeed at boosting the roll to the next grade, you automatically fail the test.

Pummel
    Requirement: Wild Swing, Muscle 10th, Scrap 10th
    When you spend your turn making a Scrap attack and are successful, you may make an additional attack at a -2 disadvantage. If you succeed at that attack, you may make another attack at a -4 advantage, and so on until you miss.

This ability cannot be used in conjunction with Flying Fists, Hyper or other abilities that grant you multiple actions during a single turn. Additionally, the effects of focusing only apply to your first attack during your turn.

Rebound
    Requirement: Personal grade level 10th, Muscle iconic trait
    If you are ever knocked out, record the number of wounds you would have taken in excess of being knocked out. You fall to the ground and do nothing on your next turn. At the beginning of the turn thereafter, however, you may make a Muscle test (including your wound penalties, which should be equal to your personal grade level) with a difficulty equal to the number of wounds you have taken in excess of being knocked out. If you score at least 1st grade on the test, you wake up, albeit being one wound away from being knocked out again.

Each time you use this talent in the same scene, the difficulty of the Muscle test increases by 1 grade.

Sniper
    Requirement: Crack Shot, Throw 10th
    For each turn that you spend focusing on Throw before you make a Throw attack, you may ignore one level of your target's protection if you hit. This applies regardless of whether the protection is based on equipment, size, or other abilities.

Specialist
    Requirement: 6th grade in your archetype's specialty trait.
    Whenever you test in your archetype's specialty trait, you roll an extra die on the second roll of the test in addition to the initial roll.

Speed Demon
    Requirement: Fleet-Footed, Scamper 8th
    Your speed increases by one level.

Spoiled
    If things are going poorly for you and your friends, and you fail a test that would have significantly improved your situation, you can immediately go into a tantrum. While in a tantrum, you gain +1 advantage on Muscle, Pluck, and Scrap tests for a number of rounds equal to the amount by which you failed the test, or until the narrator deems that things are once more going well for you and your friends. During the tantrum, you suffer a -2 disadvantage on all tests other than Muscle, Pluck, and Scrap; after the tantrum, you suffer a -2 disadvantage on all tests until the end of the scene.

Spoiled Brat
    Requirement: Spoiled, personal grade level 6th
    When you go into a tantrum, your protection increases by +2.

Spoiled Rotten
    Requirement: Spoiled Brat, personal grade level 9th
    When you go into a tantrum, you gain an advantage of +2 to Muscle, Pluck, and Scrap, and your protection increases by +3. These bonuses supersede (do not stack with) the bonuses from Spoiled Brat and Spoiled.

Strong Back
    Requirement: Big Kid, Muscle 6th
    In addition to the effects of Big Kid, you are now considered adult-sized when your opponent uses Scrap as a defense trait, and for the purposes of determining what size weapons and armor you can use.

Special: You may spend your turn and expend one Imagination to actually become adult-sized for the duration of the scene. This ability may only be used during an action scene.

Taunter
    Requirement: Bully Threat ability or Popular Kid Undermine ability, Cool 6th.
    You may spend a turn attempting to taunt an opponent within a stone's throw. The foe must be able to see or hear you clearly, and must either understand your language or be able to figure out that your gestures are distinctly insulting. Having suffered a torrent of jibes, insults, and abuse, the foe must make a Cool test opposed by your Cool test.

If the target succeeds, it ignores your taunting and remains unaffected by any further attempts for the duration of the encounter. If the target fails, and it makes any kind of attack on its next turn, it must include you in the attack. The target can simply choose not to attack this turn, however, and need not endanger itself to move to a position to attack you.

Taunter, Advanced
    Requirement: Taunter, Cool 8th
    If you Wish to cause an advanced taunt result when taunting an opponent, you must declare this before making the opposed test, and only succeed at causing any result at all if you win the opposed test by three or more grades. Alternatively, immediately upon successfully taunting a foe, you may expend one Cool to elevate the result.

On its next turn, the foe must attack you using the most powerful effect or attack that it has at its disposal, even if it means ignoring other targets, escaping, or performing more strategic actions.

Taunter, Master
    Requirement: Advanced Taunter, Cool 10th
    If you wish to cause a master taunt result when taunting an opponent, you must declare this before making the opposed test, and only succeed at causing any result at all if you win the opposed test by six or more grade levels. Alternatively, immediately upon successfully taunting a foe with an advanced taunt result, you may expend two Cool to elevate the result.

On its next turn, the foe is overcome with a terrible rage, and must try to maul you with its bare hands, regardless of the ineffectiveness of such a tactic, the potential hazards or dangers between it and you, or any other circumstances. If the target cannot reach you this turn, it must continue to attempt to do so until it succeeds at the opposed test or lands a hit against you; if an insurmountable obstacle prevents it from doing so, the foe must simply stand and seethe each turn until it succeeds at the opposed test.

Tween Thaumaturge
    Requirement: Kid Magician, Gaming 8th
    You may perform magical powers without the tools, items, or actions required by your methods, albeit with a -1 disadvantage on your Gaming test. Additionally, all weakening penalties from magic can now be reduced to a minimum of 0 per spell.

Wild Swing
    Reqirement: Muscle 4th, Scrap 4th
    Before making a Scrap attack, you may chose to test at half your Scrap grade (round down) in order to add half your Muscle (round down) to the number of wounds inflicted. You may still end up performing at better than half your Scrap grade, depending on the dice results. Regardless of whether you hit or miss, you must spend your next turn recovering from the swing.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Woo! Talents!

Was thinking of making a defender-type kid: Kinda slow and awkward, but big and strong and willing to go out of his way to stop people from hurting innocents.

I have no idea how effective this will be, seeing I'm not sure I'd want him to have too much scrap- I'd actually want to figure out how protection works to see if I could make a viable high protection/low scrap kind of character work.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    El Skid wrote: »
    Woo! Talents!

Was thinking of making a defender-type kid: Kinda slow and awkward, but big and strong and willing to go out of his way to stop people from hurting innocents.

I have no idea how effective this will be, seeing I'm not sure I'd want him to have too much scrap- I'd actually want to figure out how protection works to see if I could make a viable high protection/low scrap kind of character work.

Protection is basically damage reduction. So if something deals 4 wounds and you have a Protection of 4, you just take a Glancing Blow. Armor adds more protection, as do some Talents, and you could even have a Keepsake that improves it as well.

So, if you wore armor and stuff to raise your Protection but kept a low scrap, you'd essentially be getting hit, but not enough to really hurt you. It could definitely work.

Aaand the last of the Talents should be incoming shortly.

Edit: Make that incoming now! All General Talents are up.

@ El Skid: btw, if you download the Archetypes chapter from the link streever posted, you'll be able to see all the later Archetype Talents you'll have to pick from later, if that helps you decide on an Archetype.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Woo! Talents!

Protection is basically damage reduction. So if something deals 4 wounds and you have a Protection of 4, you just take a Glancing Blow. Armor adds more protection, as do some Talents, and you could even have a Keepsake that improves it as well.

So, if you wore armor and stuff to raise your Protection but kept a low scrap, you'd essentially be getting hit, but not enough to really hurt you. It could definitely work.

So it wouldn't depend on (for instance) a muscle stat? That's actually good- I was thinking that with the normal kid disadvantage of getting attacked all the time, that'd make a great tanky-type archetype, barring high stat requirements.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Woo! Talents!

So it wouldn't depend on (for instance) a muscle stat? That's actually good- I was thinking that with the normal kid disadvantage of getting attacked all the time, that'd make a great tanky-type archetype, barring high stat requirements.

Nope. Protection has nothing to do with Muscle--it actually has more to do with Stature. And there are Talents that will let you increase your stature up to moose-size, effectively giving you an additional +2 Protection even without armor. However, there is also a talent that lets you expend Muscle to get back up after being knocked out, which would also fit your build nicely. But I don't think you can get that at Character Creation.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Woo! Talents!

Nope. Protection has nothing to do with Muscle--it actually has more to do with Stature. And there are Talents that will let you increase your stature up to moose-size, effectively giving you an additional +2 Protection even without armor. However, there is also a talent that lets you expend Muscle to get back up after being knocked out, which would also fit your build nicely. But I don't think you can get that at Character Creation.

Where to go after character creation with a normal kid seems...tough. None of your stats can increase more than 2 of your other stats of that type, so you'll NEVER be really good at anything, and also probably never qualify for the majority of the talents there (getting 1 rank 6 core stat is easy. Getting 4 x r5 and 1 x r6 stat is...damned hard).

Also- talents are done! yay!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    el skid, I think this game (so much more than many others) rewards you for not being a specialist (says the guy who made an uber-specialist character!)

The normal kid has some really cool potential--I think you are missing enough of the book that you may not see it all. Perhaps I'll write up some of the normal kids future stuff if it's not in the pdf/inksplats posts.

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd appreciate that, streever. The talent Ink was mentioning to grow to the size of a moose requires 8th grade muscle... Which I can't really see a normal kid ever getting, which makes me sad.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Keepsakes
    Every kid gets a keepsake at creation. A Keepsake is an item carried over from the Real World that has gained a magical quality. Most keepsakes have a basic power which is either always active or can be activated for free, along with other useful abilities activated by Imagination. However, if the keepsake is more or less a normal item usually, and only gains special properties when activated by Imagination, those effects can be a bit stronger.

Examples:
    Beeper: When one of your friends is hurt, dying, or about to be eaten by a troll, your beeper goes off and alerts you with the flashing numbers "911." If you expend 1 Imagination, it then displays the name of the person in trouble, his direction and distance, and a short message (10 words or less) describing his situation.

Digital Watch: You always know what it it is (this can be important, since time in the Grimm Lands is a spotty, messy thing--including a 13th o'clock and "Tea Time") and can predict the approach of sunrise or sundown to the second. Additionally, by expending 1 Imagination, you can perform one turn's worth of action twice as fast as normal. So you could run twice as far, make two attack Scrap tests, pick a lock twice as fast, and so on. This ability cannot be used in conjunction with Hyper, Flying Fists, or other effects that grant additional actions.

Binoculars: These work like any other binoculars, allowing you to see four times farther than normal when viewed through. The narrator may grant you discretionary advantages to Seek checks involving noticing things at a distance. Additionally, by expending 1 Imagination, you can see far beyond the horizon, including peering into a neighboring kingdom or a far land.

Cigarette Lighter: Considered the signature item of the Outcast Kid, a cigarette lighter is highly treasured in the Grimm Lands, both for its ability to produce fire and to scare the wits out of ignorant yokels. A cigarette lighter also casts light as a candle. Finally, by expending 1 Imagination, you can produce a tremendous gout of flame from the lighter. The gout automatically ignites flammable materials, such as paper, straw, cloth, and hair, which can be bad news for the body on which hair grows or that is wearing the now flaming cloth. A Scamper test with difficulty equal to the personal grade level of the lighter's owner gets any potential victims out of the way in time.

Family Heirloom: This keepsake could be any sort of locket, signet ring, or other piece of jewelry that has been in your family for generations. While clenching it (and nothing else) in one of your hands, you gain an advantage of +1 grade on Pluck tests. If you wish, you can expend 1 Imagination to gain the advantage bonus for the scene while simply wearing the heirloom, but not holding onto it.

Game Console: This is a small, handheld electronic device with a variety of quest games. Due to untold hours of playing these video games, you gain a +2 advantage on Gaming tests that involve puzzles, mazes, or other logic conundrums. Additionally, you may expend 1 Imagination to "play out" one potential course of action on the console over several minutes, such as answering a riddle a certain way, trying one method of bypassing a trap, or bringing a certain weapon to bear against the monster. The level of success you achieve in the game console is fairly indicative of how wise a move this strategy would be in the Grimm Lands.

Helmet: Whether originally intended for baseball, hockey, football, or even biking or skateboarding, your helmet now does double-duty as a piece of armor. Sure, it looks goofy, but it keeps you alive. If you're wearing it when you're hit, you may negate a number of wounds equal to the amount of Imagination you expend.

Louisville Slugger: This baseball bat was once your most prized possession, and now that you're in the Grimm Lands, it has become a trusty weapon. It counts as a medium hand weapon that always requires two hands. Additionally, by expending 1 Imagination, you can turn any piece of convenient ammunition (such as a stone, a doorknob, or a heavy gourd) into a powerful ranged attack. You simply toss the ammunition up, give it a crack with the bat, and the object races toward your enemy as if it were launched from a heavy ranged weapon with a 1-turn reload time (advantage of +1 grade to your Throw attack, 2 combat moves to increase range or increase wounds inflicted, and ignores one level of protection).

Stuffed Animal: By spending a turn to entreat your stuffed animal for help and expending Imagination, you can convince it to come to life and grow larger, aiding you in any way you wish. The animated doll has the traits of an animal of the Narrator's choice, though it should have a personal grade level no higher than the number of Imagination you expended to awaken it. The stuffed animal helps you for the duration of the scene, whether it is an overland journey or a desperate fight. Unless you expend the same amount of Imagination again to keep it around, it reverts to its normal form as soon as another scene begins.

If the stuffed animal is wounded, the damage appears in its doll form as well, but can be repaired by Home Ec tests.

Using Magic
    All magical spells have a place in a Circle of Magic, from the 1st-circle (the least difficult effects to create, and the least powerful) to the 6th circle (the most difficult effects to create, and the most powerful)

To use a magical spell, a character ascends through each circle of magic, one circle per turn, until she has reached the circle of the spell in question. The character must make a Gaming test with a difficulty of twice the circle to which she is ascending that turn. So on the first turn of using magic, the test has a 2nd-grade difficulty; on the second turn, the difficulty is 4th grade; and so on, until the necessary magical power is gathered, and the effect is created. If any of the Gaming tests fail, the magical spell fails, and will have to be started again from scratch. As with other ways of spending one's turn, a character may move half her normal speed on any turn she is trying to create a magical effect.

Progressive Spells
    Some magical spells can be enhanced by ascending to higher circles of Magic. For example: the 2nd-circle enchanter spell, Nixie's Allure, has extra effects if the enchanter ascends to the 3rd circle or 4th after completing the spell.

Casting a progressive spell is handled in exactly the same fashion as a normal magical spell. However, as each extra circle of magic is attained after the original spell is cast, the spell's effects get progressively stronger. If a character wishes, she can choose to ascend to a higher circle of magic any time after the original spell was cast, as long as the spell to be enhanced is still in effect. If a Gaming test to enhance a spell is failed, the entire spell immediately comes to an end.

Kids and Magic
    Weakening
    Upon successful completion of a magical spell, a kid suffers a disadvantage of -1 grade on all of her Playground tests equal to the circle of the spell cast. The disadvantage lasts for the scene, and stacks as more spells are cast. If these combined disadvantages ever exceed a kid's Gaming trait, the excess disadvantages extend to the rest of the story, rather than just the scene. If at any point these extra, story-long disadvantages also exceed her Gaming trait, any excess disadvantages permanently lower all of the kid's Playground traits. Traits lost in this fashion may only be regained by normal advancement when a kid graduates to the next personal grade level.

Progressive spells incur a disadvantage of the highest circle attained.

Estrangement
    Whenever a kid rolls a 6 when making a Gaming test to perform magic, the power of the Grimm Lands swells strong within her. Unless she then passes a Pluck test with a difficulty equal to the spell (twice its circle), she suffers from a single estrangement.

Estrangement affects different kids in different ways. Some become dark and broody; some are changed physically, gaining features similar to those from whom they learned the magic; some grow obsessed with an aspect of the Grimm Lands, and do anything to pursue it; and others may gain dark abilities similar to those they stand against. In the end, an estrangement is determined by the narrator, although it is suggested that the effect be interesting and flavorful, reflecting not only the nature of the Grimm Lands, but something about the kid's inner desires, as well.

THe more estranged from the Real World a kid becomes, the less likely she will ever be able to return to it. If a kid ever gains more estrangements than she has Pluck, the Grimm Lands have changed her forever, and she may never escape. Usually this means that the kid becomes a story character, and falls under narrator control.

Fortunately, Estrangement is not all bad. As a kid is slowly saturated with magic, growing more like the other inhabitants of the Grimm Lands, the weakening caused by casting magic effects her less. For each estrangement a kid has, she reduces by one grade the disadvantage caused by weakness when casting spells.

Magical Duels
    On his turn, any character who knows at least one magical spell can declare that he is entering a magical duel with any other character who is currently using magic (the target character must be actively using magic, not simply have the ability to do so). The character attempting to initiate the duel must pass a Gaming test with a difficulty of twice the circle of the magic the casting character has most recently achieved, probably on his last turn. If this test is passed, the target has an option to immediately flee the duel. If he does not, the two characters begin dueling. They are linked by a bridge of eldritch energy and each is surrounded by a bubble of the energy. Among other things, this means that any magical spells currently being performed by the casting character immediately cease (the spells continue if the target immediately flees the duel). Also the magic surrounding both duelers is suddenly so powerful that neither character can be attacked in combat (at least, not under normal circumstances). On his turn, a dueling character has three options: continue dueling, back down, or flee the duel.

Continuing to Duel
    To continue dueling, a character must spend his entire turn, and cannot even more. He must concentrate entirely on his opponent. He must succeed on a Gaming test one grade level higher than the grade level of his opponent's last Gaming test in the duel. If he succeeds, the duel continues. If he fails, he has lost the duel.

Backing Down
    To back down, a character simply states that he will spend his turn backing down. The opponent can then immediately use a spell against the character who is backing down, at whatever circle of magic she has attained in the duel so far, and the backing down character automatically suffers the spell's full consequences. So, an opponent who had passed a 6th-grade Gaming test on her last turn could immediately use a spell of 3rd circle or lower against her backing-down opponent. Note that this power is cast outside of the normal turn sequence, and does not require the victor to spend his turn. After suffering these effects, if the backing-down character is still mobile, he may move half his normal speed.

Fleeing the Duel
    If a character flees a duel at the beginning of his turn, he avoids the ill effects of whatever spells his foe had in mind for him, plus may perform another action that turn as normal. However, the energies of the magic he suddenly breaks lash out at him, inflicting wounds equal to his opponent's last successful Gaming test.

Fleeing a duel as soon as it starts is the only way to maintain a magical spell that is in progress when a duelist successfully challenges you.

Losing the Duel
    If a character attempts to continue a duel, but loses, he faces the worst effects of both backing down and fleeing: He suffers wounds equal to the opponent's last successful Gaming test and automatically suffers the effects of a spell. Note that this spell is used outside the normal turn sequence, and does not require the victor to spend his turn.

So, in your case, Skid, we could probably come up with a keepsake that allowed you to perform the duty you want to perform a little better.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ooooo...I'm immediately thinking a Superhero Cape- something he used to wear to pretend he was invulnerable when he got home from being teased at school.

Some variant on the helmet power would probably work really well.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ooooo...I'm immediately thinking a Superhero Cape- something he used to wear to pretend he was invulnerable when he got home from being teased at school.

Some variant on the helmet power would probably work really well.

That would definitely work.

And while the rules seem to give specific abilities to Keepsakes, I like something they did in a podcast I listened to of the game--that for Imagination-based abilities of Keepsakes, there's a lot more flexibility. So, you could say that it could act as the helmet when you spend Imagination, or it could even grant you short-term flight if you used a turn building up speed in a run and then spent an Imagination.

Edit: Also, I added a segment on magic to the post with Keepsakes.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    inksplat, would you help me determine my keepsake? Maybe I'll have a brilliant idea but not yet.
    My character plays off of the Little Nemo concept, so he is wearing pajamas. I figure he's got terrible eye-sight so he has glasses too. (Also the glasses justify his awful cool & pluck)

Should he have a stuffed animal that provides some minimal bonus (like a pluck bonus or something) but becomes alive per rules on stuffed animals? My other thought was a blankie that makes him invulnerable with imagination, but I'll leave that to El Skid if he likes the idea :).

He could have a book, too, one of his fantasy books that he would have been reading late into the night when he was taken away to Grimm. I just am not sure what a book would let him do as a keepsake.

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Copy and paste this all to the OP, Ink!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Copy and paste this all to the OP, Ink!

I'm not sure it would all fit.

@streever Hmm. Let's see. The glasses could maybe give you information on magic being cast? And maybe when you spend Imagination it can help you learn it via Precociousness?

InkSplat on