• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ugh.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shadowpact- Well holy shit, things certainly got crazy in a hurry here. Blue Devil begins speaking in rhyme, Shadowpact holds a press conference to state what their objectives are and to better define their place in the DCU, and the whole team tussles with Etrigan the Demon, who has been demoted to a new non-rhyming position which holds less status in the underworld. By the end of the issue two characters rest on death's door, Etrigan makes a serious grab for power, and Shadowpact realizes that people weren't kidding when they said that every incarnation of Shadowpact was doomed to fail. Oh, and Detective Chimp wears a tiny suit.

Willingham's writing's a bit better than usual this issue, as things seem to finally be happening, and the new penciller Tom Derenick performs pretty well. I really wish this book could just get a regular penciller though. A-

52- Woooooooooooooo! I thought the big reveal for Supernova's powers was kind of.. simple, but overall this was a good issue. My only real criticism is that they gave away the big reveal right on the cover, robbing the actual moment in the book of any gravitas. Oh well. Still a solid issue with some nice clean pencils from Pat Olliffe. A

Aquaman- This was actually a pretty interesting issue. Busiek has taken a C-list villain, the Fisherman, and reimagined him as some horrible, unseen threat, striking out at a small, unprotected village. Naturally the protagonists arrive to investigate, only to slowly discover that they may be the Fisherman's next victims. Now an interesting thing happened as I was reading this. It just sort of occurred to me, as underwater villagers lamented about the unseen terror picking off their people, that I wasn't reading a superhero book, but rather a horror book. Busiek's writing evokes a lot of tension when combined with Ricardo Villagran's art, which actually sort of resembles old woodcut art, and really makes you think that the Fisherman's a credible, serious threat.

My only complaint about this book is that Busiek has completely failed to make Arthur relatable or interesting whatsoever. I mean, I always felt that was one of the things holding the old Aquaman back; he was a total dick who really didn't have much personality besides that defining forementioned dickishness. I was really hoping they'd make the new Aquaman someone that the reader could really like and relate to somewhat. Otherwise, this book is just what I always wanted to see Aquaman be; Conan the Barbarian underwater. B+

Cable and Deadpool- Oh man, I love this book. It's nice to have a fun, crazy issue after all the heavy Cable stuff, and this issue delivered. New series artist Reilly Brown really sells the big, exagerrated Deadpool moments too, with some of his art having a sort of crazy manga style to it. It's basically just one long, drawn out fight as Deadpool tries to prove he still has what it takes to get hired on for the big jobs. There's also a special guest appearance by someone who hasn't been seen since Pool's old solo series. I only have two complaints. 1) Deadpool did not ask Taskmaster why he decided to go back to dressing like a gay pirate. [spoiler:e9803694d5]2) Tasky went down like way too much of a bitch. I know Deadpool's especially effective at fighting him due to his fractured brain and all, but I still would have liked to see him give a better showing.[/spoiler:e9803694d5] All in all, another very good issue. For a long time I'd feared this series was in a slump, but at this point it's really recovered nicely, and is back to telling funny, and yet occassionally heartbreaking/warming stories, just like I like. A+

Spirit- I only bought this so Jordyn wouldn't hurt my precious manfruit. But hey, it was awesome just like the first issue so that really worked out nicely. Cooke's writing and art are solid as always as he delivers a nice done-in-one story that's got a ton of humor, action, emotion, and charm. Really, that's the best way to describe this book. Charming. Denny's interactions with Ellen and Ebony are just great, and I'm overjoyed that Cooke hasn't made the Spirit into some ultra-capable hero. No, he's still the kind of guy that will crash a party by pretending to be blind and then get a cheap shot in on a security guard by smacking him in the walnuts with his cane. A Oh, and fuck that Wii ad for breaking up the flow of this comic. God, ads in comics get more annoying every goddamned day.

She-Hulk- Kicking off "Planet Without a Hulk," She-Hulk goes after one of the Hulk's most famous rogues, the Abomination. It's mostly an action issue, showing how exactly the considerably weaker She-Hulk can possibly hope to fight off the pure physical power of the Hulk's rogues. It also takes a shot at Tony Stark and his dickishness, and features Doc Samson, which I always enjoy. Art's good, writing's good, book's good. B+

Munch on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    Munch wrote:
    Detective Chimp wears a tiny suit.

Sold!

DMAC on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have to say...

DC is really really bad at revealing things.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    ok i got the marvel adventures avengers comic and as promised it was totally awesome

my only question is, how the hell did they come up with this avengers line-up?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Could someone spoil Ultimate X-Men for me?

Uh...

[spoiler:396dfa4fa2]Cyclops is flying Professor X to the battle from last issue, and he's all mad. Slim jumps out because he's angry, and lands safely with Storm's help, and Cable smashes Bishop's time travel box. Then Professor X smashes the jet into the battle because he can't land or something, but protects himself with a telekinetic shield. All of the bad guys save for Cable go back to the future because they're sad.

Then there's a really jarring Thunderbolts ad page with Norman Osborn talking to Bullseye.

Cyclops and Cable fight in the complex, and Professor X crawls over to them, allowing Cable to denonate a bomb, which blows Cyclops out of the building and to safety. When they go back in they see what they assume is Xavier's skeleton and they get a full page of moping panels.

Then Jean blows out of her cell and goes over and everyone explains how Cable must've teleported back to the future.

The death felt, overall, highly insubstantial. A total hollow fakeout, but then again, Kirkman writes some pretty horrible UXM "twists". My guess is that at the second of the explosion, Xavier pulled his already-dead corpse from the future, and teleported away. It's all the rage this week![/spoiler:396dfa4fa2]

At least the art was pretty!

I love UXM for the same reason I love Supergirl...

...it's so over-the-top awful and full of nonsense that you can't help but shut off the critical centers of your brain and enjoy it.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Servo wrote:
    ok i got the marvel adventures avengers comic and as promised it was totally awesome

my only question is, how the hell did they come up with this avengers line-up?
    "Hey guys, what are our most popular characters again?"

'The Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, Spidey, and Wolverine'

"Oh, right. Well we better throw in a couple token females too"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    GHOST IN THE SHELL 1.5 HUMAN ERROR PROCESSOR #4
    52 WEEK #37
    RED MENACE #3
    SPIDER-MAN REIGN #2
    ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #104
    X-MEN FIRST CLASS #5
    TRON #3

Maybe, SPIRIT #2, because #1 was fun, and it's a light week.

Gotta love those guys that publish the Lady Death books. All they seem to do is one shots with various cheesecake covers. I guess people can't get enough of fapping to the dark lady in various provocative poses.

Goddamnit, I forgot to print my list and thus forgot to get GitS. Back to the shop, which means I'm going to by another trade or two just because I cannot help myself.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Could someone spoil Ultimate X-Men for me?

Uh...

[spoiler:7c973eb426]Cyclops is flying Professor X to the battle from last issue, and he's all mad. Slim jumps out because he's angry, and lands safely with Storm's help, and Cable smashes Bishop's time travel box. Then Professor X smashes the jet into the battle because he can't land or something, but protects himself with a telekinetic shield. All of the bad guys save for Cable go back to the future because they're sad.

Then there's a really jarring Thunderbolts ad page with Norman Osborn talking to Bullseye.

Cyclops and Cable fight in the complex, and Professor X crawls over to them, allowing Cable to denonate a bomb, which blows Cyclops out of the building and to safety. When they go back in they see what they assume is Xavier's skeleton and they get a full page of moping panels.

Then Jean blows out of her cell and goes over and everyone explains how Cable must've teleported back to the future.

The death felt, overall, highly insubstantial. A total hollow fakeout, but then again, Kirkman writes some pretty horrible UXM "twists". My guess is that at the second of the explosion, Xavier pulled his already-dead corpse from the future, and teleported away. It's all the rage this week![/spoiler:7c973eb426]

At least the art was pretty!

Reinforcing my decision to drop this title from my pull list. What crap.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have to say that Green Lantern #16 was very fun. I don't know all that much about Hal Jordan, but this story arc was very easy to get into, and it's been solid reading so far. The cameo by the new JLA and that "other" Green Lantern was pretty cool. Overall, I'm pretty glad I've decided to start picking up the Green Lantern books.

BTW, are there any other DC space type books (in the vein of GL Corps) going on now?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    I have to say that Green Lantern #16 was very fun. I don't know all that much about Hal Jordan, but this story arc was very easy to get into, and it's been solid reading so far. The cameo by the new JLA and that "other" Green Lantern was pretty cool. Overall, I'm pretty glad I've decided to start picking up the Green Lantern books.

BTW, are there any other DC space type books (in the vein of GL Corps) going on now?
    There's Mystery in Space which is pretty good, and (Captain) Comet is a badass.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:

Omega Men, Mystery in Space, and Ion all spring to mind. I haven't read any of them, but from what I gather Omega Men is a decent read with very.. "unique" art that makes it a little hard to read. MiS is, according to purported puppy-kicker and known JSAophile Bad Karma, pretty good. I'm personally waiting on the trade for that one. I've heard Ion had a pretty slow start, but really kicks into gear and gets really good after a few issues. I'm waiting for a trade on that one too.

I do reccomend you go pick up the trade for Adam Strange: Planet Heist. It starred Adam Strange and kind of established a new visual look for him, and was overall just pretty damn cool. If you like it, you can then go pick up Rann/Thanagar War, which is kind of a continuation of Planet Heist, actually kind of sets up Omega Men, Ion, and Mystery in Space to some extent.

Munch on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Munch wrote:
    Cable and Deadpool- Oh man, I love this book. It's nice to have a fun, crazy issue after all the heavy Cable stuff, and this issue delivered. New series artist Reilly Brown really sells the big, exagerrated Deadpool moments too, with some of his art having a sort of crazy manga style to it. It's basically just one long, drawn out fight as Deadpool tries to prove he still has what it takes to get hired on for the big jobs. There's also a special guest appearance by someone who hasn't been seen since Pool's old solo series. I only have two complaints. 1) Deadpool did not ask Taskmaster why he decided to go back to dressing like a gay pirate. [spoiler:b7b2377bc7]2) Tasky went down like way too much of a bitch. I know Deadpool's especially effective at fighting him due to his fractured brain and all, but I still would have liked to see him give a better showing.[/spoiler:b7b2377bc7] All in all, another very good issue. For a long time I'd feared this series was in a slump, but at this point it's really recovered nicely, and is back to telling funny, and yet occassionally heartbreaking/warming stories, just like I like. A+

I must agree with your two complaints. Tasky looks like a clown, and did before his Udon makeover. I guess I have to come to terms that the Taskmaster I knew is gone, because your second complaint is spot on as well.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DARK HORSE COMICS

NOV060040 GHOST IN THE SHELL 1.5 HUMAN ERROR PROCESSOR #4 (OF 8) $2.99

***Has anyone in the UK seen these on the shelves? Forbidden Planet used to have this series up on their website, but I can't find it on there now, and haven't received #1-3 at all***

DC COMICS

NOV060199 52 WEEK #37 $2.50
    NOV060222 JLA CLASSIFIED #32 $3.99
    NOV060236 SHADOWPACT #9 $2.99

MARVEL COMICS

NOV062322 CABLE DEADPOOL #36 $2.99
    AUG062045 FANTASTIC FOUR #542 CW $2.99
    NOV062305 MARVEL ADVENTURES AVENGERS #9 $2.99
    NOV062276 SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #34 $2.99
    NOV062281 SPIDER-MAN REIGN #2 (OF 4) $3.99
    NOV062272 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #104 $3.99
    NOV062274 ULTIMATE X-MEN #78 $2.99
    NOV062334 X-MEN FIRST CLASS #5 (OF 8) $2.99

COMICS

SEP063225 BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #5 $2.99

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    Look.

You fuckers.

Buy Spirit.

I swear to god, if this book gets cancelled because fuckers aren't buying it.

I will track down every single one of you.

And kick you in the balls.

it looks like I can only afford two books

52 is one

and it's a fight between Y and Spirit

On the one hand, I love Darwyn Cooke and I don't want Spirit to get canceled because it's great

on the other hand, Y is fantastic
    Keith there is no way in hell Y is getting canceled.

Buy The fucking Spirit.

I bought Y. :oops:

And Spirit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Y was good.

[spoiler:217cafb1a6]They brought up the point about all the male animals dying, so I think we aren't meant to take the male extinction as being the result of the obsolescence of human males with the advent of cloning.

But the rats are back, so what's the supposed to mean?[/spoiler:217cafb1a6]

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Amongst my other picks - I grabbed Marvel Adventures: Avengers. I haven't laughed this hard reading a comic in a looong time. It was gold.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Munch wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:

Omega Men, Mystery in Space, and Ion all spring to mind. I haven't read any of them, but from what I gather Omega Men is a decent read with very.. "unique" art that makes it a little hard to read. MiS is, according to purported puppy-kicker and known JSAophile Bad Karma, pretty good.

I've got nothing against puppies, asshole.

Being one of the four people in the country buying Omega Men, I feel inclined to comment. It's not bad. Definately a title that once all issues are released, you have to go back and read them all together, since it's kind of confusing. If you buy Mystery in Space you should grab this as well, and vice versa, as they both deal with [spoiler:29eb0709c1]Lady Styx[/spoiler:29eb0709c1]though don't actually crossover with eachother.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just read Marvel Adventures Avengers 9. It is awesome.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Y was a total filler issue.

deadonthestreet on