As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CSS help! (IE7) - SOLVED

Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a buttPlanet Express ShipRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay so I'm developing a site and I want the site to be 800 pixels wide and rest in the center of the browser regardless of size or resolution.

Previously (in IE6, Firefox, and IE7 beta) I accomplished this by enclosing all of the content in a <div> tag and applying a style to that tag.

Example:
<div class="divContent">
Stuff would go here...
</div>

And in the css file the following would be applied to get the appropriate effect:
.divContent{
width:800px;
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;}

Like I said before this WAS working under IE7 in beta and continues to work under IE6 and Firefox. Now in IE7 it's simply acting as if there were no specification of the left margin. Essentially the whole page is slammed to the far left. Other than that everything else is fine.

What. The. Fuck.

EDIT: Added clarification.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
3DS: 1650-8480-6786
Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
Dr_Keenbean on

• Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's happening in 7?

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    blincoln wrote:
    What's happening in 7?

I added it to the post. It's funny, I tell people every day at work that I need detailed decriptions of problems to solve them and I've gone and neglected that. :P

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What happens if you put it inside another div that has a text-align value of center?

blincoln on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What is your goal?

You want the div to push up against the sides of the window?

You want to center it?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    monkeypoomonkeypoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    blincoln wrote:
    What happens if you put it inside another div that has a text-align value of center?
    After doing some tests, this seems the way to go.

To simplify things, instead of adding another div on the outside, just text-align the entire body to center, then have your main content holder div do a text-align to left, which will propagate to all the other elements underneath it.

You'll need to keep the "margin: auto auto;" for Firefox and other "standards" based browsers.

So like:
    <html>
    <head><title>IE7 Div Centering</title>

<style type="text/css">
    body {
      text-align: center;
    }

#content-holder {
      width: 800px;
      margin: auto auto;
      border: 1px solid red;
      text-align: left;
    }
    </style>

</head>
    <body>

<div id="content-holder">
    Quis wisi ullamcorper ex vulputate feugiat esse eum duis tincidunt. Iriure nostrud qui vulputate praesent, euismod at eros, ut. Ipsum molestie aliquam illum ad ut vel illum, suscipit delenit ullamcorper duis dolore accumsan iusto. Consequat lorem nisl wisi laoreet nostrud minim feugiat nulla luptatum, vel, nisl. Dignissim erat, dolor qui nulla sit ex veniam erat dignissim et vero consequat dolore eu augue consequat at vulputate ullamcorper.
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

You should be good to go as long as everything else goes inside your "content-holder" div.

monkeypoo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The margin auto/auto thing is what's making it centered in IE7 as well. It just doesn't know what to "auto" the margins to without it being inside something that centers it horizontally.

At least, that's been my experience.

blincoln on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I just tried it and taking the margin out: IE 7 and IE 6 center the div; Firefox left aligns the div.

So it seems that only Firefox (of the three I tested of course) needs the margin added in.

Edit:
    Scientific!

No text-align, No margin
    IE6     left aligned
    IE7     left aligned
    FF2     left aligned

text-align, No margin
    IE6     centered
    IE7     centered
    FF2     left aligned

No text-align, margin
    IE6     left aligned
    IE7     left aligned
    FF2     centered

text-align, margin
    IE6     centered
    IE7     centered
    FF2     centered

My only thoughts are that IE6/7 cannot handle the margin properly and Firefox doesn't apply the text-align to block level elements, thus, you need a combination of the two to cover all bases.

monkeypoo on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man I am so sick of browsers handling things so differently and having to come up with workarounds all the time. Usually IE being gay. Damn its market share!

Thanks though, I will give these a shot when I get to work tomorrow!

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    After looking a little more into this I realized a possible issue, you should really use "margin: 0 auto;".

The first value is the top / bottom margins, which you want to be 0. The second is the left / right margins, which you want to "float".

This probably won't make a difference in most cases, but you could run into problems, so probably best to use 0.

monkeypoo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The text-align:center in the body tag solved it. I was really hoping there was simply something I was over-looking. I swear just using margin:auto worked in IE up until only recently.

Anyway thanks so much for all your help! Mods can go ahead and lock this now.

Dr_Keenbean on