As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skate ....4???

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited June 2020 in Games and Technology
so skate 3
ajkyzl.jpg
it's on those systems
the demo is out now for both

hey, you played skate 1 or 2?
it'd be a lot cooler if you did

if not, you need to talk to COAAAAAAAAAACH FRANK

it's okay though, skate 3 is set in the entirely new city of port carverton. the are several districts, including an industrial park, a university, as well as a downtown area.

so basically you can do all sorts of awesome new shit in skate 3
like building a skate crew, your own skate brand and company, darkslides, drop ins, and the holy grail, the item dropper.

online now has drop in co-op, and when you online friends drop out, avatars will replicate their styles in your game. walking and physics are both improved from the previous games, and there are new easy and realistic settings.

if you sign into EA's fantastically shitty site, you can download your videos and then upload them to youtube, or skate.xzzy.org .

and finally to get on the 360 metatag add PA Skate2, since it has barely anyone on it.
-coming soon-
once the online features are up, you can join the crew THE LORDS OF DONGTOWN
LoDposter.jpg
VIDEOS

Local H Jay on

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pretty sure I'm getting this tomorrow

Al_wat on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know when the fuck I"m getting this, but I'll be playing it forever once I do.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I started getting second thoughts earlier today about buying it tomorrow, since I'm pretty broke and I hate paying $70+ for games and its too early for reviews and stuff (I think... haven't really looked into it) to verify that its actually a good game.

BUT - assuming they just take skate 2 and made it more awesome, I dont really see how it could be a bad game in any way other than just paranoia.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If it weren't for 3D Dot Game Heroes

And Red Dead Redemption

And Alan Wake

And possibly Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

I'd be all over this. I really enjoyed the demo. Gave me the Skate controls a love, a much better camera option, and Jason Lee doing the tutorial. That kicks ass.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So that is Jason Lee. I thought it was.

I loved the first one but missed the second one, that skate school looks like the perfect way to get back into this series.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If it weren't for 3D Dot Game Heroes

And Red Dead Redemption

And Alan Wake

And possibly Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

I'd be all over this. I really enjoyed the demo. Gave me the Skate controls a love, a much better camera option, and Jason Lee doing the tutorial. That kicks ass.

it's funny, i thought i'd be getting atleast one of those games over skate 3
    and yet when i came down to it i realized i'd get more game for my money buying this new, as i tend to waste endless time doing lines in all the skate games so far (and have spent a good chunk of time on the demo for this one). it's a rare spring we have so many good titles hitting, though.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    IGN gave it an 8 which is solid but I'm not sure I agree with their complaints. Basically they said there wasn't enough new stuff to warrant another release. Here's my thing, why is that necessarily a bad thing? There's an entirely new city, item dropper, team challenges, and some new tricks. The core game is already pretty fantastic so I don't want change for the sake of change.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    to be honest when they release a new iteration each year it doesn't lend much room to reinvention or innovation. but that's fine, because skate works that way. i probably played the first skate up until skate 2 came out. i never finished the story in skate 1. in skate 2, i did almost every challenge and the game lasted me until about 3 months ago. when i heard skate 3 was coming, i sold it and put the money towards skate 3. i know this one will offer enough new content to keep me entertained until the next one comes out :D

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just grabbed my copy. I'll be on tonight prior to Lost.

Mr Obersmith on
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If anyone's playing this, shoot me an invite. Itching for some LoD action.

NickleDL

Who is starting the team, does it matter?

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't really afford it but for the time I plan to sink into this sucker I think I'm gonna buy it today.

Also I have held out on buying skate 2 for soooooo long (so many oppurtunities to grab it for 20 bucks passed up.)

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I will also post impressions later tonite.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was intending to make the team last night, but as I said in the last thread, the online features weren't working.

If no one's made it by the time I get home tonight, I'll get it started. If anyone wants to do up a team logo, feel free to go wild. I kind of had an idea to do a city-skyline-at-sunset image and started it:

dongtown.jpg

But didn't really like where it was going so I never finished it.

As it turns out it's a good thing I didn't finish it, because the dimensions of the graphic creator do not match the dimensions of the skateboard, which means anything you create gets clipped when you try to zoom it in-game.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nevermind, apparently you can create teams through the website.

And Lords of Dongtown is already taken. Did someone here make the team?

xzzy on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, check the last thread....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sorry, ancient history, can't do that.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So what's this easy mode thing? I played 2, but just couldn't wrap my head around the controls. I just had pressing a button to ollie too ingrained in my head. I got stuck somewhere around where you had to beat this pro doing some crazy shit in the mountains with these big ramps.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Easy mode increases the magnetism that pulls you into a grind, and the amount of air you get off ollies and ramps.

It doesn't actually change the controls at all.. if you didn't like elder skate games, you won't like this one.

xzzy on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking at the thread, I think japh was the one that made the team.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Easy mode increases the magnetism that pulls you into a grind, and the amount of air you get off ollies and ramps.

It doesn't actually change the controls at all.. if you didn't like elder skate games, you won't like this one.

Making air and grinds easier would go a long way, I think. I'd usually faceplant when trying to grind. Part of my problem is I just never seemed to get enough air to pull off anything. I guess I'll have to add it to my Gamefly queue.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    man, amazon failed me! i paid for release date delivery and since i was working i won't get it until tomorrow!
    okay, so it's not really anyone's fault but mine, but just throw it in my mailbox for pete's sake! not gonna buy new games online again i think.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    bought'd

Al_wat on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So the Giant Bomb review just went up. 4/5, and they'll be playing it for the Thursday Night Throwdown this week.

edit:
    man, amazon failed me! i paid for release date delivery and since i was working i won't get it until tomorrow!
    okay, so it's not really anyone's fault but mine, but just throw it in my mailbox for pete's sake! not gonna buy new games online again i think.

Do you have a mailbox at work? I too have had my shipping nullified by not answering the door fast enough for the postal worker.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My UPS guy is pretty cool. He leaves everything on the doorstep, and doesn't even wait for an answer after ringing the doorbell before running off, like some kid pulling a prank. I even recently ordered like $1100 worth of computer stuff.

I guess I won't think it's quite as awesome when something gets stolen, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone having problems with the online? I haven't been able to connect to the EA servers at all today.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They keep making me sign for stuff, and then ignore the signature on the slip that basically says "Leave it. Just go. If it gets stolen, it's my fault."

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Uh, is the custom graphic stuff down or am I just a moron and I can't figure out how to access it in the game? I sent things to the game from the website, but I'm not even seeing any blank customization options like they had in the last one if you never sent anything to it.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll just go out on a limb and assume that any and all online related problems are from too many people trying to access the EA servers at the same time. Although if anyone has a more convincing answer, please share it.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll just go out on a limb and assume that any and all online related problems are from too many people trying to access the EA servers at the same time. Although if anyone has a more convincing answer, please share it.

No, it happens with every single EA game. It's SOP to be useless for a week until the demand dies down.

And can whoever registered as Lords of Dongtown speak up? It's pretty lame to make the team.. and then disappear from the thread. Unless it wasn't a PAer who took the name?

Anyone got ideas for backup team names?

xzzy on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i only got up through some tutorial stuff before splitting to see iron man 2 earlier, but im already having a lot of fun. i gotta make some custom graphics for my shit.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You can search for the team by name, I saw it earlier. I'm in my own throwaway online team at the moment, so I don't know what the options are to request to be added to the team, or what have you.

Though that's moot if the team leader isn't here, I suppose.

Good skating tonight with a few PAer's though, some of those challenges are a bitch.

e: If you're getting "can't connect to EA" errors, you might try resetting your xbox clock. It sounds weird, but it worked for Walrus. Some kind of anti-time traveler policy, I imagine.

e2: reset the date to 11/15/2005, that is.

Nickle on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    there was the TuWang Clan as an alternate right?

goddd my copy cant get here fast enough.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    is there any point in signing up for LoD if I'm on a silver live account?

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Joining LoD isn't gonna happen until japh shows up again.. he owns the team.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nickle wrote: »
    e: If you're getting "can't connect to EA" errors, you might try resetting your xbox clock. It sounds weird, but it worked for Walrus. Some kind of anti-time traveler policy, I imagine.

e2: reset the date to 11/15/2005, that is.

I also cleared my cache right before I reset the clock, so you can try that too.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, there are some kinda weird things in the singleplayer. Like, what's with all the "do any trick" missions?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can see the simultaneous tricks being a pain to complete judging from last night.

Mr Obersmith on
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can see the simultaneous tricks being a pain to complete judging from last night.

We were so damn close though. I had the last position a few times and it was like as soon as I hopped up, the front person would be just ending.

5 people makes that pretty rough though. :lol:

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What about "The Lords of Dongtown"?

Not sure if it'd fit under whatever limit they have, though.

Nickle on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Whats with the Skate.Share code that comes in the box?
    -PSN: Rubycat3- when I get around to playing (still so much MH:Tri)
    Had Skate 2 on Xbox, but never had a network hookup for it.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nickle wrote: »

What about "The Lords of Dongtown"?

Not sure if it'd fit under whatever limit they have, though.

Okay, I did exactly that. I'm not 100% clear on how to invite people to the team.. the site says I can only invite people who are my friends. However, these aren't xbox live friend list friends.. they're special EA website only friends.

So try either searching for me (gt: xzzy), or the team, 'The Lords of Dongtown', and let me know if you can get in.

xzzy on