As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate ....4???

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the only ones ive got left are the team practice one and the community sales target one, which ive heard is 150 billion boards cumulatively for the entire online population. i dont know where that number is currently, but presumably it hasnt popped yet.

Ah_Pook on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if that number will ever be reached if that is the real number. I think last I saw it was approaching 6 billion.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2010
    apparently the total is 103 billion right now, so itll happen eventually. when it does, if youve hit the 1 million mark it will pop for you. thast what im seeing from these google results.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    Oh wow. Okay, either I haven't looked at it in quite awhile, or I was remembering wrong. I guess with the DLC coming out soon that may help bump it up as well. I got my million awhile back. Now I'm just trying to finish off all the events. I still have some spots to find and 2 lots to finish up. The last event in each I believe. Some of those are a freaking nightmare to do.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2010
    to find the spots easily, just look at the online list and see which ones you dont have. start a private session on whichever ones youre missing, then quit out and youll be right there for owning purposes.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    to find the spots easily, just look at the online list and see which ones you dont have. start a private session on whichever ones youre missing, then quit out and youll be right there for owning purposes.

Hey thanks. that'll make it, well, very easy. Also won't have to focus on just finishing up those own the lots that get me frustrated and quit for the evening.

Bolthorn on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so, not totally on-topic but today i put together my first skateboard. it was a board i won at PAX east at the skate 3 booth. i originally was planning to hang it up but i decided, with a bit of peer pressure, to use it. i got some old trucks and wheels from a friend and grip taped it today. i'd like to note that it's pretty much thanks to this game series that i'm even trying this, so that's something i suppose.

this shit is a lot harder in real life, guys.

Local H Jay on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey, I can't even bring up one end of the board without falling on my ass in real life.
    It's the reason I play Skate.

Speaking of which, I just completed all the HoM challenges and unlocked Meat. Now I can play the game it was originally intended to be.
    EA Steak.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    so, not totally on-topic but today i put together my first skateboard. it was a board i won at PAX east at the skate 3 booth. i originally was planning to hang it up but i decided, with a bit of peer pressure, to use it. i got some old trucks and wheels from a friend and grip taped it today. i'd like to note that it's pretty much thanks to this game series that i'm even trying this, so that's something i suppose.

this shit is a lot harder in real life, guys.

Yes, it is WAY harder in real life. Have fun with it though.
    I thought about attempting to pick it back up, mostly due to this game actually. But I didn't want to be the creepy old guy at the skate park. At least the city (finally) built one, like 15 years after I quit skating and used to get busted constantly for skating at schools and libraries and other "eh, this will work" spots.

Bolthorn on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been seeing a lot more skateparks these days than ever.. it seems like every town in the area has one tucked away somewhere.

Which is quite a reversal from my own youth, where anyone with a skateboard was treated like a criminal. There was a 7-11 near where I grew up, and if I walked in carrying a board I'd get kicked out. Actually using the board out in public damn near got airstrikes called in on me.

xzzy on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I find longboarding is pretty good for all of us getting a bit too old to start picking up regular boarding. A bit more stable and pretty much just made for cruising/ going fast. It keeps a lot more momentum on each push, which saves you from constantly pushing like a regular board.

Plus there isn't a ton of tricks you can do (ok, so there is, but not like short boards) so you can mostly concentrate on just riding it and enjoying it. And hills are fun as hell. I've hit close to 30/ 35mph on my board bombing a hill. Scary shit though.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily easier, but it's just a different style than regular skateboarding.

I actually take my board into our local skatepark and do some bowl/ park riding with it. I'm currently trying to pull of a FS Boardslide on the coping of one of the 1/4 pipes there. Veeerryy close.

Also Skate 3.

UEAKCrash on
    edited June 2010
    talkin bout team practice trophy done, thank god. wading through random people isnt much fun online. all ive got left is the community sales target now, and everyones got that left so... 150 billion or bust i guess?

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    Anyone heard anything about the Maloof NYC tournament DLC?
    I saw it was available for download, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    It's pretty crappy DLC, save your money.

xzzy on
    edited June 2010
    yea its not really worth buying i dont think. i guess if youre a big real life skating fan and you really want to video game skate in this real place then maybe? its some easy trophies/achievements, and a not very interesting skate park.

Ah_Pook on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I noticed while watching it that this park wasn't nearly as interesting as the one from last year. Dunno if it was a different designer or what but I wouldn't have guessed it was even the same event holders if it wasn't mentioned specifically.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited June 2010
    i'll wait for some one to remake the park in skate.park and DL that

Local H Jay on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, this was a hard thread to find!

Finally got my hands on the game, any room on a team/skating action going on for a latecomer?

YardGnome on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know when I'm getting this game but I sure hope PA folk still want to play it when I do.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    i get the feeling that this game didnt do well at all. also is that new Black Box DLC the same one that was a preorder bonus from Amazon?

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    Yard, I think the Lords team is full but the Dukes of Dongtown still has some spots open. Toss me a friend request and I'll hook you up.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I keep meaning to play the game more than I do.. there's just a lot of games right now that need some TLC.

xzzy on
    edited June 2010
    i played the shit out of this game for a while, but once i ran out of objectives i kinda petered out on it. plus there are a ton of other games. but i like knowing skate 3 is there for me to mess around with you know. i jump on every once in a while and get some boards online, to work towards the community sales target heh.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    i played the shit out of this game for a while, but once i ran out of objectives i kinda petered out on it. plus there are a ton of other games. but i like knowing skate 3 is there for me to mess around with you know. i jump on every once in a while and get some boards online, to work towards the community sales target heh.

I was initially the same way. Once I hit the single player board mark I thought "okay, now what?" Then I went ahead and tried to complete everything. Then I thought about trying to get all the trophies so I could finally get my first platinum. Then I bought some other games on Steam and FFXIII on the cheap and haven't gone back to Skate 3 much. I just haven't had the urge. Mostly because I don't really feel like just trophy farming.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2010
    The long term lure of the game is visiting spots and doing something fun on them. A lot of people try to make "realistic" videos, but I think expressing yourself is a lot more fun. It's a pretty big game world, there's lots of neat spots to mess around at. Plus there's the park editor.

Point being, the game has "legs", it just isn't going to hold your hand for much of it.

xzzy on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would use the Skate.Park feature a million times more than I do if going into didn't mean an instant frame rate drop to varying degrees.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I was initially the same way. Once I hit the single player board mark I thought "okay, now what?" Then I went ahead and tried to complete everything. Then I thought about trying to get all the trophies so I could finally get my first platinum. Then I bought some other games on Steam and FFXIII on the cheap and haven't gone back to Skate 3 much. I just haven't had the urge. Mostly because I don't really feel like just trophy farming.

i got all the trophies (except for the community sales target one, which hasnt been reached yet by the community), thats kinda what i meant by objectives. hit me up online sometime if you want to skate around or whatever, try to get some trophies or something if you wanna.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2010
    I definitely haven't been playing games in general much lately.

This game is good for the occasional pick up though. I've had a few friends come over and one of us will put in the game, skate around to find a good spot and then pass the controller around until we are all tired of it. The game is definitely good for that, at least for me.

UEAKCrash on
    edited June 2010
    it's one of those games i toss in when i can't think of anything else to play. skate is just fun to dick around in. hell, i didn't even finish the story mode in the first one, i just tooled around most of the time.

Local H Jay on
    edited July 2010
    oh hey you can finally get that it takes a really big village trophy on the ps3.

i guess theres some new DLC out today too? might have to pick it up, even if the last one was pretty shitty.

Ah_Pook on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Me and a friend from the forums both bought this game this weekend. Is there a PA team that plays regularly still? Should we form a new one?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I've been playing once or twice a week.. I don't see many people on anymore.

It's really just one of those types of games where you don't play it every single day. You hop in, do a cool line, and then put it away for a little while.

xzzy on
    edited July 2010
    the online isnt very fun, either. so that doesnt help as far as people playing all the time.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2010
    In real skating news, a buddy of mine ate shit yesterday on his longboard doing some pretty intense speed and spiked a curb with his shoulder. Broke his collar bone.

He is not feeling too well today.

UEAKCrash on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    since we're talking about real skating here my friend linked this to me last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgDyvjY5AVQ

so many mixed emotions watching this.

troublebrewing on
    edited July 2010
    OOOHHH GOOODD WWWHHHHYYYYY.

UEAKCrash on
    edited July 2010
    directors cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJjMqQithw

and one of my favorite segments from one of my all time favorite vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25FTtjj2W1s

and with that i'll stop posting videos before I get too OT

troublebrewing on
    edited July 2010
    when I popped on Skate today the "It takes a really big village" achievement unlocked.

troublebrewing on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    when I popped on Skate today the "It takes a really big village" achievement unlocked.

Same here, I guess the Community Challenge was met. Nice 50G right out of the box.

I picked up skate 3 for $40, loving the game so far.

Hawk on
    edited July 2010
    Hawk wrote: »

Same here, I guess the Community Challenge was met. Nice 50G right out of the box.

I picked up skate 3 for $40, loving the game so far.

Hi5 for us.

UEAKCrash on