As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] ITT we await [Chat]aclysm

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    drhazard wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I'm actually looking forward to heroics using some CC again, if and only if it's like magister's terrace where there is a very limited amount of trash so a heroic doesn't take over an hour, and only if they actually give all classes a useful CC. I want to say death knights and warriors are the main culprits for lacking one.

Prot warrior 'crowd control' is the best, though. Sure, you've got short stuns and dazes, but we need more Spell-flinger mobs with holy-what-the-fuck spells that we can reflect back.

The best part is when the mob is dying slow and all of a sudden he's at 3% because you reflect his spell.

Then you get some shaman or rogue who actually knows how to interrupt and you go :(.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm mostly just annoyed at how often I see AotD when it shouldn't be done while I'm tank. Assholes, I'm trying to position stuff! Mocking Blow doesn't even seem to work.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Unrelated question: How many 80s do some of you actually play on a regular basis? I am always conflicted because I like to focus on one main character, but I also love to play alts and gear up new characters.

I have 6 level 80s and I play them all pretty regularly. I'm currently working on getting her geared up. I try to play my paladin(my main) more but there isn't much left for her to really do. So I mostly just PvP and get gems.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couple quick questions for you folks out there.

Question about a Macro I have.

#showtooltip
    /cast [modifier: ctrl] Mind Sear;
    /cast Mind Flay

It casts mind flay no problem, but will not cast Mind Sear. When I hold down CTRL it switches the icon from Mind Flay to Mind Sear but nothing happens. I've tried a bunch of different things like putting in an "else" and "target=target" "@target" and such on the mind sear but it simply will never cast. I also unbound everything in my key bindings that had CTRL-# bound(In my specific case, CTRL-1).

Also, I accidently bought a blue gem from the Jem Quartermaster last night before I went to bed. I immediately put a ticket in to ask if I could get it swapped for a purple. Has anyone done this and gotten good luck with it? I expect to get a "tough shit." Maybe I could give/trade to a tank? The blue turns to straight up +stam right?

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, plus it's generally more in-demand. You might get lucky asking in /2 for a straight trade.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can sell items back for refund.

Well, armor and such anyway.

reVerse on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Buddies wrote: »
    Couple quick questions for you folks out there.

Question about a Macro I have.

#showtooltip
    /cast [modifier: ctrl] Mind Sear;
    /cast Mind Flay

It casts mind flay no problem, but will not cast Mind Sear. When I hold down CTRL it switches the icon from Mind Flay to Mind Sear but nothing happens. I've tried a bunch of different things like putting in an "else" and "target=target" "@target" and such on the mind sear but it simply will never cast. I also unbound everything in my key bindings that had CTRL-# bound(In my specific case, CTRL-1).

Also, I accidently bought a blue gem from the Jem Quartermaster last night before I went to bed. I immediately put a ticket in to ask if I could get it swapped for a purple. Has anyone done this and gotten good luck with it? I expect to get a "tough shit." Maybe I could give/trade to a tank? The blue turns to straight up +stam right?

You should be able to sell your gem back for a refund. Maybe that's only armor and trinkets and stuff.

I think your macro would work if it looked like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [modifier: ctrl] Mind Sear; Mind Flay

The 2nd /cast in there is probably what was messing it up.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    So the Goons act like complete and utter geese in order to "trick" people into thinking that they're complete and utter geese.

My god, criminal masterminds, these guys.

They're pretty much huge trolls to anyone who's not a goon.

But if you play with them and join their guilds/groups, they actually tend to be pretty cool.

However, joining goons means balancing having a cool group of people to play with with the stigma attached to being a part of a goonsquad if you need to do anything with people from outside your guild.
    drhazard wrote: »
    I'm mostly just annoyed at how often I see AotD when it shouldn't be done while I'm tank. Assholes, I'm trying to position stuff! Mocking Blow doesn't even seem to work.
    Whenever a DK uses AotD on a boss in a heroic I just walk away a bit and do /sleep until it's over.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What I find odd about that boss is there are times he does the phantom blast as every attack and lately it seems to be not that often?

I do have one of the hardest achievements in the game off the black knight in htoc i've hard worse

What, seriously? That is such an easy achievement. You can AoE down the ghouls with no problems. Hell, a decent geared moonkin can solo the achievement for the entire group by popping starfall and using Hurricane.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    However, joining goons means balancing having a cool group of people to play with with the stigma attached to being a part of a goonsquad if you need to do anything with people from outside your guild.

The day after the goons 'downed' Tirion, a friend of mine who's a goon was in LFD and got one group that just gushed over how hilarious they thought it was. The next run, he got kicked before the final boss because they said goons ruin it for the 'real players'.

I have plenty of friends that are goons, and that was a goosebag move, but... I have no religion. Instead, I feel that if we do our best to fight against the natural entropy of the universe, then we have done well. When faced with a group that seems to embody entropy? Well... :P

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played with Goons in Eve-online for two years. Such tears we extracted from the general population you can't even begin to imagine how glorious it was to be part of that team. I actually went to a couple goon meets. They're pretty good people to roll with, but if you take anything, anything at all, very seriously, they will find a way to get you all nerd-raging/butthurt about it.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Man, warlocks sure got the short end of the stick in wrath didn't they? They went from the most overpowered class in TBC to one of the worst dps now in ICC. Although, I haven't raided in about 3-4 months, so they might have gotten fixed up a bit.

wait what? warlock DPS is not bad at all

maybe ones that are pissed that they can't sac their succubus and just spam shadowbolt to the top of recount anymore. =P

This is essentially it. I know a few people that played warlocks and then when changes came around in 3.0? 3.1? and it was no longer spam SB...I heard the same gripes...Locks are broken, why all teh nerfs to locks, Blizz hates locks and must not play them....

mturalon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mturalon wrote: »
    Man, warlocks sure got the short end of the stick in wrath didn't they? They went from the most overpowered class in TBC to one of the worst dps now in ICC. Although, I haven't raided in about 3-4 months, so they might have gotten fixed up a bit.

maybe ones that are pissed that they can't sac their succubus and just spam shadowbolt to the top of recount anymore. =P

This is essentially it. I know a few people that played warlocks and then when changes came around in 3.0? 3.1? and it was no longer spam SB...I heard the same gripes...Locks are broken, why all teh nerfs to locks, Blizz hates locks and must not play them....

We had one of those in BC that tried that in a heroic. Back when you needed CC. And they sucked with fear, so that was out of the question.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why would anyone want to spam one spell over and over again anyway?

It is like a textbook definition of "boring as shit, oh my god."

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For some people, that's all the excitement they can handle. These are the "Is this fire/DnD/big black pool all around me bad?" types.

There are shocking number of them.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mturalon wrote: »

The funny thing about it is in TBC when they were so easy to play, Locks never interested me, but as soon as they changed them to have more complex rotations going on and stuff I immediately made a lock and levelled him to 80. I really enjoy playing him in a random heroic here and there, and I think I will probably play him even more in Cata, because the soul shard changes are just the sort of thing I enjoy.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One of our warlocks rerolled holy paladin when WotLK launched.

And he had the nerve to bitch about how boring healing as holy is. :lol:

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've always been bitching about how boring holy paladin healing is. I try it at least once every expansion.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    shosarshosar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Someone wanted the transcript of what was said by the goon when he admitted to the cosmetic slots being a hoax, spoilered for length.
    Here's my entry.

I convinced EVERYONE that was reading the Cataclysm leak thread that Cosmetic Slots were being introduced.

Infinitum posted:
    New version of the SpellDB has been making the rounds. Look what I found

Cosmetic Slot - Helm[NYI] - Covers Helm with target armor. Will cover the appearance but not the effect of any existing helm armor. Not active in Battlegrounds or Arenas.
    Cosmetic Slot - Shoulders[NYI] - Covers Shoulders with target armor. Will cover the appearance but not the effect of any existing shoulder armor. Not active in Battlegrounds or Arenas.

T3 all the time

Not only is that entire thread now fully convinced it's coming, I have also inspired people to petition GMs for old gear and to start farming up old tier content in preparation for its forthcoming addition into Cataclysm.
    Hell you guys have even stopped talking about it in the thread and simply accepted the fact it's coming whenever I continued to push the troll it by mentioning throughout the thread like I did when I suggested that Blizzard could try introducing it at the Blizz Store. Look at Orbi get so flustered. What a cutie

I had another troll in mind that fell through, but this was absolutely perfect timing as I could insert it right in the middle of a bunch of actual leaked content. It would have been hard doing this anywhere else as MMO-Champ had just gone into Alpha leak lockdown, I'd have to create a new user account that noone is going to believe and there's no way any reasonable alpha leak forum is going to fall for this as they all have access to the actual SpellID database anyway.
    So you guys were the perfect target.

Not only did I sucker you guys, I also got free promotion for it over on Penny Arcade (Right at the bottom) for quite a few pages.
    It also found it's way to some Ravenholdt RP forum I've never heard of.

So yeah. That's my entry. Hoping the contest is still going on.. Incoherence has known about my entry for a while now.

Thanks for being such a wonderful group of suckers

As far as I can tell, the general feeling seems to be that he's a bastard for doing it to other goons, but a magnificent bastard because of how ballsy it was.

shosar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes he's dumb. Spamming one damage spell over and over is super boring, but it's a bit different when your holy lights are the only thing keeping the tank up and the whole fight is "holy shit oh my god need to use GCDs wisely shit shit oh god I need Divine Plea but fuck he might die oh god TRINKET POP TRINKET POP FUCK TANK IS AT 5% GO CAST BAR GO"

In fairness though, that is pretty rare. Even when I'm running my holy pally alt in a 25 man, it's unusual tank healing is so hectic. The class is definitely less dynamic than, say, priest.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The class is definitely less dynamic than, say, priest.

I absolutely LOVE Disc healing. Druid healing is fun to because I can actually spread my healing around and anticipate damage by slapping a HoT on someone.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Considering he specifically complained how boring spamming shadowbolt was, I'm not sure why he chose a holy paladin.

Even better, by that point, we knew shadowbolt spamming was going away, anyway!

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Druid healing just isn't for me. I have an 80 druid, and I did a few raids with it, but I really like being able to directly SEE the effect of my heals. And while HoTs do just as much as anyone else, it doesn't bring me personally the same satisfaction as either bringing the entire raid up from 50% to 100% in no time at all or having a well placed shield + penance take someone from 5% health to 75% health while they're still taking damage.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, my first 60 back in Vanilla WoW was a holy paladin.

I just can't believe how easy these young whipper snappper paladins have it nowadays, with 10 minute buffs and 30 minute seals! Back in my day, we had 5 minute buffs and 10 minute greater buffs, and 30 second seals, and by golly, we liked it.

/end old man.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I would probably have to kill myself if I had to refresh a seal every 30 seconds.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And don't forget Judging a seal removed the seal from you, so it was more like refreshing seals every 8-10 seconds.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    oohh god that's right

fuck

such stupid mechanics.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Holy Paladin is so much more involved now than it was in TBC, to even compare it to back then is ridiculous. Sure, Holy Light is still going to be your most used spell, but good Holy Paladins keep judgement of light up on the boss(assuming you don't have 2 other paladins retting/tanking to keep them up), use divine favor->holy shock->insta Flash combos when they have to be on the move, make sure they're keeping up the flash of light HoT on their sacred shield target, and utilize beacon to its fullest potential. And that's not even mentioning good use of Aura mastery and Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian.

It's not even close to the same world it used to be.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, to be fair, leveling as Ret back then meant that you did three things:

Auto-attack
    Judge
    Refresh Seal of Command (which worked entirely differently back then)

Some times you cleansed if you needed something gone, or you healed if you got low, but by and large the only things you did were attack, judge, refresh seals.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Auto-attack
    Judge

Some times you cleansed if you needed something gone, or you healed if you got low, but by and large the only things you did were attack, judge, refresh seals.

Yeah, Seal of Command was *the* seal to go if you were Ret. What happened to it?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Auto-attack
    Judge

Yeah, Seal of Command was *the* seal to go if you were Ret. What happened to it?

That was the one that would occasionally cause you to do a second attack for weapon damage right? Well now it causes you to cleave. (except it is more like a druids swipe then a warriors cleave.)

Seg on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seg wrote: »

Auto-attack
    Judge

That was the one that would occasionally cause you to do a second attack for weapon damage right? Well now it causes you to cleave. (except it is more like a druids swipe then a warriors cleave.)

Yeah, that's laym. D:

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Auto-attack
    Judge

Yeah, SoC was on a weird PPM timer, but I guess Blizzard felt that having an enitre talent spec's main source of damage be on a random proc timer was bad design, and since Seal of Righteousness already does damage on each hit, they made it a cleave-type effect.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh god there's a Juggalo on my server keep it awaaaaaaaaay.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Auto-attack
    Judge

Yeah, that's laym. D:

I have noticed on my 40 something paladin that a lot of dungeons have places where your party has to deal with 4+ mobs at a time. So as long as you wait for your tank to use one or two of their AoE skills before you start attacking it can be pretty effective.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anybody who longs for the old Seal of Command either liked to pvp, or didn't actually play a Ret Paladin in PvE. =P Before, you had to hope for procs and have a windfury totem(the old extra attack totem, not the haste one) just to do respectable DPS. Hell, by TBC hordeside Rets switched to a seal that made healers work harder just to get more PvE DPS. =)

Seal of Command and Corruption are perfect for Ret now. On add fights or trash you cleave stuff to death because command procs off Crusader strike as well as auto attacks, and on single target fights corruption does an assload of damage. It's a win/win. And Seal of Command is not like swipe at all. Any strikes that hit a single target like crusader strike, shield of righteousness, or auto attack cause it to proc on two additional targets. It's free cleaving.

In PvP rets can use Righteousness for bursty judgements now.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For some people, that's all the excitement they can handle. These are the "Is this fire/DnD/big black pool all around me bad?" types.

There are shocking number of them.

I don't know, man.

After playing an Enhancement Shaman and Frost DK, I embraced Mage DPS with open arms. I didn't change because I was bad - I typically was near the top of the charts with my melee toons - but because Holy shit sometimes you don't want to have to stress out about a 10 move priority system, or not having a single spare GCD ever for anything. Sometimes you want to kick back a bit and relax some with a less complicated class.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Haha, remember when Windfury totem gave you a 20% chance to do an extra swing with extra ATP? I miss giving that to my Rogues.

Though I don't miss having to explain to them why they had to take poisons off their main hand.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    Haha, remember when Windfury totem gave you a 20% chance to do an extra swing with extra ATP? I miss giving that to my Rogues.

Though I don't miss having to explain to them why they had to take poisons off their main hand.

I remember when you'd see a shaman and run the other fucking way.

bowen on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

I remember when you'd see a shaman and run the other fucking way.

Yeah Vanilla Beta was pretty awesome. :P

Mutilate on
This discussion has been closed.