Options

Trailers: They're like movies, but shorter

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Spielberg gives him the roles. Its his own fault for accepting them.

But I respect that hes atleast come out and said Indy 4 was crap, hes even tried to take responsibility for it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmTv2nqTHo

See that? That is a trailer that shows so much that you already know how the movie goes.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ruh roh
    For the first time, a major Hollywood film will hit the $20 threshold at the box office, as movie-theater owners test the public's ability to absorb ever higher ticket prices.

Several theaters will charge $20 per adult ticket to IMAX showings of the animated 3-D family film "Shrek Forever After," the fourth "Shrek" installment from DreamWorks Animation. The theaters include the AMC theater in Manhattan's Kips Bay neighborhood, AMC Loews 34, AMC Loews Lincoln Square and AMC Empire 42nd Street.

The increases weren't officially announced, but were reflected in prices posted Wednesday on movie-ticketing Web sites such as Fandango.com and tracked by BTIG LLC media analyst Richard Greenfield.

"With the state of the economy remaining questionable, we worry pricing is simply moving up too quickly," cautioned Mr. Greenfield in a research blog post, adding that he was especially concerned about how quickly children's ticket prices are increasing. "The danger is scaring consumers away from the movie theaters."

This weekend's price increase come less than eight weeks after theater operators instituted some of the steepest hikes in a decade. Those increases in late March—in some cases of as much as 26%—varied theater to theater and focused on 3-D and IMAX showings of another DreamWorks Animation title, "How to Train Your Dragon." The same AMC theater in Manhattan charged $19.50 for an IMAX showing of "Dragon."

The $20 ticket may prove to be a psychological barrier too steep for some moviegoers to overcome, but the industry appears ready to take the risk, especially in the wake of a string of 3-D blockbusters, from "Avatar" to "Alice in Wonderland." 3-D movies accounted for the vast majority of last year's 10% jump in domestic box-office sales. That figure is likely to climb even higher for 2010.

While box-office revenues are up about 6% this year compared to the same period last year, attendance is slightly down—a reversal from several months of rapid expansion at the box office and a record-breaking year in 2009, when attendance was up more than 5% and revenues broke the $10 billion barrier.

But piracy is killing the film industry!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256801339372876.html

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How much do IMAX tickets usually cost? I forget how much I paid to see The Dark Knight, but I don't think it was much less than that.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Not sure on American prices, here I think they're about £12 which is like $20 or just under. Basically that article says they've already experienced rises of up to 26% and then they add on more for what is very little gain to the consumer. I'm just going to be dismayed is all when they blame a poor year on piracy and not their ridiculous greed.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eh. Movies in the theater are a treat, IMAX movies doubly so. I'm not really put off by the idea that people will have to go see Shrek 4 in a regular theater if they don't want to pay $20.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Twenty bucks to see the movie once at a crowded theater where some goose is talking into his cell phone the whole time, or wait a few months and pay twenty bucks for the DVD with special features and commentary tracks and you can watch it as many times as you want. Hmm, tough choice.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But, the water cooler!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I refuse to pay more for my ticket than I do for my popcorn. That's why I go to matinees.

And don't buy the popcorn.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I thought the directors cut of Aliens at the very least added one important scene and thats the smart guns. It at least showed why the aliens didn't just break their barricade by brute force. And I believe it added in the part about Ripleys daughter.

I think the scene about Ripley's daughter is pretty vital to the Ripley/Newt interaction and it should have never been cut to begin with.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I go on Tuesdays to the Scotiabank theater for a regular price ticket and free popcorn.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    2 serious ones with some great word of mouth from the film festival circuit and a silly one:

Serious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE_X2pDRXyY

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePOOljITE9I

Silly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW5_4gZ0Jn4

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Friday Box Office

1213arr.jpg

2afhc3.jpg

2ajuyvl.jpg

Ouch for Robin Hood. Though totally expected.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of this film, but it's pretty watchable and widely considered a classic in the genre: Grease is getting re-released this summer. But they're not just re-releasing it. They're working it over so thoroughly that it makes what Lucas did to Star Wars look like a David Lean film.

Grease: Sing-A-Long

So, not only have they digitally added lensflares, animated doodles, and 3D karaoke subtitles, it appears they've edited all the smoking out of the film.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Noooo

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well just from reading the 'Sing a long' tag in the video, is it not aimed at kids?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But it's not really a kids movie, is the thing. And even if it was, this is some pretty egregious cinematic vandalism

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I guess, itd involve cutting the pregnancy and such.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

And probably a good chunk of the song about how the main girl doesn't fuck anyone.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

And probably a good chunk of the song about how the main girl doesn't fuck anyone.

Eh kids know all about that stuff.

But smoking is harmful.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Summer Lovin" has a rape joke in it.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lol, really? Refresh my memory.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The short, squat Squiggy lookin dude mimes holding a chick down while singing "Did she put up a fight?"

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    O_o, well I was young last time I watched it. Guess I missed that.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    And more importantly this guy. (Warning: graphic violence towards the 1:40 mark)

shame that this is a terrible movie.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wasn't the original Pirahna a Joe Dante(Gremlins!) film?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wasn't the original Pirahna a Joe Dante(Gremlins!) film?

I don't know, but Piranha Part Two was directed by James Cameron.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    And more importantly this guy. (Warning: graphic violence towards the 1:40 mark)

I was looking forward to it so much, but I ended up being really dissapointed. The first 20 minutes is brilliant, but the rest is pretentious and slow for the sake of a shallow message. The worst offense is how the director threw away an insanely interesting character for no reason.

Urian on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    The trailer for Alpha and Omega fucking turned my hair gray. Rarely have I seen anything so devoid of aesthetical content.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I was looking forward to it so much, but I ended up being really dissapointed. The first 20 minutes is brilliant, but the rest is pretentious and slow for the sake of a shallow message. The worst offense is how the director threw away an insanely interesting character for no reason.

I kept thinking that maybe it's going somewhere with the slow pace panning shots and the shots of them on a boat with the color tint changing from scene to scene for half an hour. But no. It went fucking no where.

And what's worse is the mumbling. Bad enough that there is no sane dialogue in the movie, but when they do talk they talk low and mumble everything.

Just a plain bad movie.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of this film, but it's pretty watchable and widely considered a classic in the genre: Grease is getting re-released this summer. But they're not just re-releasing it. They're working it over so thoroughly that it makes what Lucas did to Star Wars look like a David Lean film.

So, not only have they digitally added lensflares, animated doodles, and 3D karaoke subtitles, it appears they've edited all the smoking out of the film.

I can rationalize everything but the fucking lensflare. What the fuck is up with that?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

I can rationalize everything but the fucking lensflare. What the fuck is up with that?

Hahaha, goodness. I wonder how else they changed a song like "Greased Lightning". The lyrics certainly don't say "the chicks'll scream"

Wazza on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, changing history aside, that lyric's pretty hard to sing.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010

That looks like MySpace.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I was morbidly curious what the reviews said about Marmaduke. So I headed over to Rotten Tomatoes. I happened to like this excerpt from eFilmCritic.com:
    It contains approximately twice the laughs of "Sex and the City 2" and half the number of bitches.

And in poor taste, the excerpt from Roger Ebert:
    The moment I saw Marmaduke's big drooling lips moving, I knew I was in trouble.
    And to keep us on topic, Have any interesting trailers come out recently other than new Scott Pilgrim one?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    And to keep us on topic, Have any interesting trailers come out recently other than new Scott Pilgrim one?

There is one for Gulliver's Travels starring Jack Black

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/gulliverstravels/

I haven't been able to find the trailer on youtube yet.

Wazza on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to go a screening of Grease Sing-A-Long just to see how many teenage girls sing along to this song... and parents knowingly approve of it.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

o_O

Never thought someone would go and one-up George Lucas on working over a classic. That looks...terrible

Havelock on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wazza wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

There is one for Gulliver's Travels starring Jack Black

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/gulliverstravels/

I haven't been able to find the trailer on youtube yet.

Literary classic starring modern folk? Day one.
    is when the universe implodes. Nah, it just looks mediocre

I think the internet hate machine has its latest target.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wtf. They edited out the god damn cigarettes from Grease? What the fuck, man.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
This discussion has been closed.