Options

Trailers: They're like movies, but shorter

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of this film, but it's pretty watchable and widely considered a classic in the genre: Grease is getting re-released this summer. But they're not just re-releasing it. They're working it over so thoroughly that it makes what Lucas did to Star Wars look like a David Lean film.

Grease: Sing-A-Long

So, not only have they digitally added lensflares, animated doodles, and 3D karaoke subtitles, it appears they've edited all the smoking out of the film.

That looks like MySpace.

It looks like a graphic designer was given a single assignment for a whole year, and that assignment was adding the lyrics to Grease. They just got bored and kept slapping random effects in there until the deadline was finally up.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ruh roh
    For the first time, a major Hollywood film will hit the $20 threshold at the box office, as movie-theater owners test the public's ability to absorb ever higher ticket prices.

Several theaters will charge $20 per adult ticket to IMAX showings of the animated 3-D family film "Shrek Forever After," the fourth "Shrek" installment from DreamWorks Animation. The theaters include the AMC theater in Manhattan's Kips Bay neighborhood, AMC Loews 34, AMC Loews Lincoln Square and AMC Empire 42nd Street.

The increases weren't officially announced, but were reflected in prices posted Wednesday on movie-ticketing Web sites such as Fandango.com and tracked by BTIG LLC media analyst Richard Greenfield.

"With the state of the economy remaining questionable, we worry pricing is simply moving up too quickly," cautioned Mr. Greenfield in a research blog post, adding that he was especially concerned about how quickly children's ticket prices are increasing. "The danger is scaring consumers away from the movie theaters."

This weekend's price increase come less than eight weeks after theater operators instituted some of the steepest hikes in a decade. Those increases in late March—in some cases of as much as 26%—varied theater to theater and focused on 3-D and IMAX showings of another DreamWorks Animation title, "How to Train Your Dragon." The same AMC theater in Manhattan charged $19.50 for an IMAX showing of "Dragon."

The $20 ticket may prove to be a psychological barrier too steep for some moviegoers to overcome, but the industry appears ready to take the risk, especially in the wake of a string of 3-D blockbusters, from "Avatar" to "Alice in Wonderland." 3-D movies accounted for the vast majority of last year's 10% jump in domestic box-office sales. That figure is likely to climb even higher for 2010.

While box-office revenues are up about 6% this year compared to the same period last year, attendance is slightly down—a reversal from several months of rapid expansion at the box office and a record-breaking year in 2009, when attendance was up more than 5% and revenues broke the $10 billion barrier.

But piracy is killing the film industry!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256801339372876.html

I love film, and watching it in cinemas, but honestly $20 is too far, I'd say no thanks and go home. He'll, it's already $4.50 each for soda and popcorn, the cinemas will soon be more expensive than going to see a play!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's to hoping we get a Green Lantern teaser soon. Hopefully Comicon at the latest.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm hopeful for Green Lantern and Thor teasers at Comicon. MAYBE even a Captain America teaser, but that would just be a very loose teaser.
    Captain America teaser: old WWII newsreel footage with some voiceover about how the war is going, then how one man is leading the fight against the Nazi's. Then the shield and that's it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Saint Madness on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just missed the boat entirely with Harry Potter, every preview just doesn't snare me in.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just missed the boat entirely with Harry Potter, every preview just doesn't snare me in.

It wasn't until the last one or two movies that they actually started getting pretty good. But then, as someone who isn't a die-hard fan of the stories, maybe the movies aren't for me. Or something.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I nearly missed the boat with Harry Potter, but my boss at the time was reading them. And that's how a former Homicide Detective turned Security Manager introduced a 23 year old employee to the magic of Hogwarts.

And I was (well, am) the nerdy one in the office.

I'm loving the new Inception trailer. The teaser was good, but seeing a bit more context hasn't hurt my interest. I suspect I'll be trying to avoid anything else about the series, though, lest I learn too much.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It wasn't until the last one or two movies that they actually started getting pretty good.

Pretty much this, the first movie had too much of a Disney feel to it, then they got progressively darker (and better) from there. The 3rd one was directed by Alfonso Cuarón and it was with him that the visual style took on a darker, more gothic feel.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    I want to go a screening of Grease Sing-A-Long just to see how many teenage girls sing along to this song... and parents knowingly approve of it.

I thought the judge said you couldn't go within a hundred feet.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It wasn't until the last one or two movies that they actually started getting pretty good. But then, as someone who isn't a die-hard fan of the stories, maybe the movies aren't for me. Or something.

On the other hand, I am a somewhat die-hard fan, and the movies I watched pissed me off because of how much they were forced to cut out of the story. Maybe the later ones are better; splitting 7 into two parts was a good decision. The books are impressive because of all the insane attention to detail; without it the movies just fall flat for me.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    I want to go a screening of Grease Sing-A-Long just to see how many teenage girls sing along to this song... and parents knowingly approve of it.

I thought the judge said you couldn't go within a hundred feet.

I said want, not will.

AHAHAHAHAHAH

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love Ron's new mustache in the Harry Potter trailer.

Seriously, that thing is golden

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No its not, Its ginger!

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    A new featurette for Inception is out at http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810099246/video/20206542/ , but here's two amazing shots from it if you don't want to risk spoiling anything by watching it.
    4682261503_76cbbb4fc9_o.jpg
    4682891330_0a3ddb9104_o.jpg

Urian on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    On the other hand, I am a somewhat die-hard fan, and the movies I watched pissed me off because of how much they were forced to cut out of the story. Maybe the later ones are better; splitting 7 into two parts was a good decision. The books are impressive because of all the insane attention to detail; without it the movies just fall flat for me.
    I don't mind changes when necessary (the LoTR movies benefited from most of them), but the HP movies just have a very spotty record of what they keep and what they omit. In the last movie I was most annoyed that they cut a lot of the book for the sake of time constraints... then spent what felt like 15 minutes on a stupid dragon chase sequence that wasn't even in the book. This is what you cut character development for? Feh.

Glal on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think this could go here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I admit that the Mortal Kombat re-boot has me intrigued.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Awesome!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That MK trailer had me at first and then it got just plain silly. Then 7 of 9 showed up.

Flawless victory!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit. That looks awesome. Except that they killed
    Johnny Cage
    in the goddamn trailer.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I admit that the Mortal Kombat re-boot has me intrigued.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Johnny Cage canonically dies in every single MK installment.

At least that's how it seems.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He dies in the trailer, so it'll be super shocking when he comes back as Zombie Cage.

If you replace "shocking" with "stupid and predictable".

reVerse on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know what to make of that trailer. I mean, it looks like an interesting take on a Mortal Kombat reboot. It has Seven of Nine and Spawn in it, so it's not a well-made fan video.

But on the other hand there is NOTHING about it on IMDB or Wikipedia that I can find other than WB wants to do a reboot but it is having legal problems.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    He dies in the trailer, so it'll be super shocking when he comes back as Zombie Cage.

If you replace "shocking" with "stupid and predictable".

What if Zombie Cage is made up of numerous tiny zombies? Or he is mostly skeletal and his rib cage containts a tiny zombie that controls the rest of the body/zombies? Please don't be upset with Zombie Cage! He still has so much left to contribute to the MK society.

...Is there even going to be a Zombie Cage? Man if there isn't I'm gonna mess you up conVerse.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Johnny Cage sucks, I'm glad he's dead.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    God damn that looks badass.

Warcry on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On the door to Jax's office, it says Jackson Briggs.

The "on" of Jackson is faded, making it Jacks. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That IS Don "The Dragon" Wilson as Scorpion, right?

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm hopeful for Green Lantern and Thor teasers at Comicon. MAYBE even a Captain America teaser, but that would just be a very loose teaser.
    Would some concept art suffice for now?

Captain America
    capam1.jpg
    capam2.jpg
    capam3.jpg
    capam4.jpg

Thor
    thor_concept_art_chris_hemsworth_01.jpg
    thor_concept_art_chris_hemsworth_02.jpg

Official still for Thor:
    photo_01_hires.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I just watched Michael Jai White in 'Black Dynamite' last night before seeing this clip, so right now I'm jazzed at the thought of him in a Mortal Kombat reboot.

Still, it's just a proof of concept reel and the actors in it are just placeholders. No guarantees that Jai White will be in it (but he damn sure had better be).

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh fuck yes! Scorpion was obviously the best character in mortal kombat. I'm stoked...if it's true and not a videogame.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I actually feel the other way. I love the books but the last two movies were actually not what I expected. Especially the last one, which to me ignored the parts which I thought were important. The movie ignored or even flat out contradicted stuff in the book and I guess the director figured those things were not really that important and I can see why. Half-blood Prince the book was really not that actiony except for the last part, the movie was actiony from the beginning.

I think the new movie is actually going to be better because the book had a lot of action too. And since it got split up into two movies I have hopes for them being more detailed for each movie.

Julius on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it just me, or does Thor's hammer look a little smaller than usual in that concept art?

Not a big deal or anything, I think it looks great and all, but I definitely thought it looked a little bigger, with a longer handle in the comics. Maybe that just depends on the artist drawing Thor, I dunno, whatever.

BigBear on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thor's hammer isn't small. It's just cold outside.

zekebeau on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thor's Hammer should be a legendary item, but a hammer that size? Can't be much better than a Rare. Everyone knows something that good would have to be at least the size of the person wielding it!

(I kid, it does look sorta smallish, just by a bit)

Kronus on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm . . . so . . . happy!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The handle is supposed to be too short to wield well with two hands.

I'm not sure if that should have a winky.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kronus wrote: »
    Thor's Hammer should be a legendary item, but a hammer that size? Can't be much better than a Rare. Everyone knows something that good would have to be at least the size of the person wielding it!

(I kid, it does look sorta smallish, just by a bit)

Mjolnir has a short handle. It's part of the myth surrounding it's creation (short version: Loki caused it to be fucked up to get out of a bet).

Edit: And we should probably talk about trailers so...ummm...

Edit Edit: Nevermind Gulliver's Travels, let's preview some Canadian Cinema:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtU7ERJ3cTw

LordSolarMacharius on
This discussion has been closed.