Options

Trailers: They're like movies, but shorter

13468960

Posts

  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw "Gulliver's Travels" and "Jack Black" and was desperately hoping it was just a joke title, and I was so optimistic until about a minute in.

    But then Donna Noble showed up.

    Now I'm just conflicted.

    cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Captain America looks great, but I'm sad they lost the headwings. The costume really needs them for balance; with just the hood he gets this giant-head look, like Red Robin.

    KalTorak on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh my god, those concept arts for those Marvel movies look horrible. That is just bad, bad costume design.


    Jesus Christ, what were they thinking?

    Godfather on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best harry potter movie was the one Alfonso Cuaron directed. I can only imagine how great the series would have been if he had done all of em.

    Yann on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, The Trotsky both looks great and reminds me of real people I've actually known.

    Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elki wrote: »

    wow wow wow... Jon Lovitz? In a movie? That's going to be in theaters? I'm there!

    DanHibiki on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    guys that isnt a trailer for mortal kombat, its a short film made by a fan, cost them 7.5k bucks.

    It isnt a trailer, its a reimagining by the director to sell the idea to warner brothers.

    hadoken on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader trailer:

    http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/16/movie-trailer-the-chronicles-of-narnia-the-voyage-of-the-dawn-treader/

    I'm getting peeved with them continuing to shoehorn the white witch into these movies.

    Vesty on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vesty wrote: »
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader trailer:

    http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/16/movie-trailer-the-chronicles-of-narnia-the-voyage-of-the-dawn-treader/

    I'm getting peeved with them continuing to shoehorn the white witch into these movies.

    To be fair, Tilda Swinton was arguably the best part of the previous two movies.

    It looks like those kids still can't act.

    BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be fair, they didn't really shoehorn her into Prince Caspian.

    Also I can't wait for that movie. I love Reepicheep so darn much.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810033015/video/20369007/

    Smurfs is not something that takes place in the goddamn real world.

    I want my Johan and Peewit!

    :(

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vesty wrote: »
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader trailer:

    http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/16/movie-trailer-the-chronicles-of-narnia-the-voyage-of-the-dawn-treader/

    I'm getting peeved with them continuing to shoehorn the white witch into these movies.

    Was she in the book?


    And the younger brother acted a lot better in the second film. He wasn't being a whiny brat 90% of the time.
    I know. You had it sorted.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810033015/video/20369007/

    Smurfs is not something that takes place in the goddamn real world.

    I want my Johan and Peewit!

    :(

    Tone Loc and Quiet Riot seem to get a lot of work in LCD movie trailers.

    KevinNash on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hadoken wrote: »
    guys that isnt a trailer for mortal kombat, its a short film made by a fan, cost them 7.5k bucks.

    It isnt a trailer, its a reimagining by the director to sell the idea to warner brothers.

    We're aware thanks, its been covered in a few threads.

    Proof of Concept was the phrase thrown around by Jeri Ryan and the director, makes it sound a little more professional.

    Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

    I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be fair, they didn't really shoehorn her into Prince Caspian.

    Also I can't wait for that movie. I love Reepicheep so darn much.

    I don't recall her being in anything past Wardrobe, but it has been a long while since I've read them. Either way it looks like they have her doing the exact same thing in this as in Caspain.

    Vesty on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know, I thought the ONLY kid that did a good job in tLtW&tW was Edmund. He was the only believable performance, even though the character doesn't translate well to the screen

    1ddqd on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kronus wrote: »
    Thor's Hammer should be a legendary item, but a hammer that size? Can't be much better than a Rare. Everyone knows something that good would have to be at least the size of the person wielding it!

    (I kid, it does look sorta smallish, just by a bit)

    Mjolnir has a short handle. It's part of the myth surrounding it's creation (short version: Loki caused it to be fucked up to get out of a bet).

    Edit: And we should probably talk about trailers so...ummm...

    Edit Edit: Nevermind Gulliver's Travels, let's preview some Canadian Cinema:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtU7ERJ3cTw

    This is looks pretty awesome.

    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just noticed yesterday there is a film version of one of my favorite books ever (Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro) coming out this year. The cast looks great, but the trailer gives an awful lot away. I worry that they won't be able to convey the power of this really amazing novel in film, but who knows? Maybe they'll pull it off.

    For some reason I can't get the youtube video to show up in my post. :/ But hey, Sally Sparrow, guys!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymQcM4ej3w

    edit: Apparently I can!

    Murphy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vesty wrote: »
    To be fair, they didn't really shoehorn her into Prince Caspian.

    Also I can't wait for that movie. I love Reepicheep so darn much.

    I don't recall her being in anything past Wardrobe, but it has been a long while since I've read them. Either way it looks like they have her doing the exact same thing in this as in Caspain.

    Basically they have the summoning scene in Prince Caspian only she doesn't really show up like she does in the movie because the summoning was interrupted a bit earlier. I was saying she wasn't shoehorned in because it didn't really change the way the scene worked or anything.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mean, I'm not going to turn down the awesomeness of Tilda Swinton in any film, to be honest, but I do wish they'd stop contriving reasons for her to be there for five minutes.

    Murphy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KjwNOTdqM

    So this is apparently adapted from a short comic by Warren Ellis I haven't read.

    Holy cow though, look at that cast.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I came here to post that RED trailer.

    After the initial shock of them comedy-ing it up, I think it's actually somewhat interesting.

    Warren Ellis wrote some stuff about the differences between the graphic novel and the movie, and he makes good points.

    I would have preferred if it stayed as dark as the source material, but this might work too.

    Echo on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Red looks amazing. I want to know so much more about the baby-blue uniform Morgan Freeman is wearing while punching some dude in the face.

    Isidore on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of comic book movies:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3eI-03OtU

    It might end up being a fun movie, which is weird.

    TBL summed it up pretty good over in Graphic Violence:

    If the movie plays out the way I get from the trailer

    Nobody knows it's a comedy but Seth Rogen

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit, Helen Mirren kicking ass?

    YES

    KalTorak on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is the first I am hearing of Red. It looks awesome.

    Green Hornet, not so much. But that may just be the big "JANUARY!" and "Let's make it 3-D!" parts of the trailer.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    This is the first I am hearing of Red. It looks awesome.

    Green Hornet, not so much. But that may just be the big "JANUARY!" and "Let's make it 3-D!" parts of the trailer.

    I didn't know those parts were in the trailer. My brain must re-edit these things in real time now.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Red does look pretty funny.

    Also, it's a good thing that my old movie-buddy is back in town, because July is going to be one movie event after another, and she's a good sport about it.

    Who am I kidding, this is a woman who was so excited for The Expendables trailer (which she hadn't seen until last night) that she actually squealed.

    Were it not for her looking to spend 4 of the next 5 years out of the country, I would strive to make her my bride.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    This is the first I am hearing of Red. It looks awesome.

    Green Hornet, not so much. But that may just be the big "JANUARY!" and "Let's make it 3-D!" parts of the trailer.

    I didn't know those parts were in the trailer. My brain must re-edit these things in real time now.

    Last few seconds. Release date (January) - January being where all the worst stuff is dumped - and a non-planned 3D conversion doesn't inspire confidence either.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    This is the first I am hearing of Red. It looks awesome.

    Green Hornet, not so much. But that may just be the big "JANUARY!" and "Let's make it 3-D!" parts of the trailer.

    I didn't know those parts were in the trailer. My brain must re-edit these things in real time now.

    Last few seconds. Release date (January) - January being where all the worst stuff is dumped - and a non-planned 3D conversion doesn't inspire confidence either.

    The 3D crap doesn't matter. Just don't see it in 3D. Problem solved.

    Edit: And looking at the past few years, you're wrong about January. I mean yeah, plenty of stinkers have been released, but no more than usual. And a decent chunk of good movies ranging from fun popcorn action movies to Oscar winners.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

    The 3D crap doesn't matter. Just don't see it in 3D. Problem solved.

    Edit: And looking at the past few years, you're wrong about January. I mean yeah, plenty of stinkers have been released, but no more than usual. And a decent chunk of good movies ranging from fun popcorn action movies to Oscar winners.

    Good movies can come out in jan, feb, but most of the time thats accidental. Studios use those months to dump movies they personally dont think will do well. Like Rambo 4, no one thought that would be worth watching until it became the goregasm it was.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The 3D crap does matter, in that it suggests the studio doesn't have faith that the movie can stand on its own without a gimmick.

    Now, don't get me wrong - 3D in a movie that was planned to be 3D (Avatar, Alice in Wonderland) is fine. 3D added after the fact is terrible, and for a studio to move a film off a lucrative start date (December 22nd) to January just for that shows a complete lack of faith in the film.

    If it comes out and gets rave reviews I may reconsider and, being honest I'll probably catch it on DVD sometime, but I just can't get excited about it.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought the 3d in alice in wonderland was also tacked on? Or am I confusing that with clash of the boring?

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    The 3D crap does matter, in that it suggests the studio doesn't have faith that the movie can stand on its own without a gimmick.

    Now, don't get me wrong - 3D in a movie that was planned to be 3D (Avatar, Alice in Wonderland) is fine. 3D added after the fact is terrible, and for a studio to move a film off a lucrative start date (December 22nd) to January just for that shows a complete lack of faith in the film.

    If it comes out and gets rave reviews I may reconsider and, being honest I'll probably catch it on DVD sometime, but I just can't get excited about it.

    3D gets tacked onto anything where the visuals are important these days. It has nothing to do with a studio's faith in a movie and everything to do with "can we get away with selling this as 3D for more money and more asses in the seats?" If a superhero movie comes out without 3D, it's probably because someone involved in actually making the movie had enough clout to tell them to fuck off. At least that's the way it seems to me. If it were up to the studios anything either aimed at kids or had an action scene would be in 3D, whether it was shot with that in mind or not.

    And honestly, whether a studio has faith in something has pretty much zero bearing on whether I'll see it or not. They generally have no idea what makes a movie good.

    All that being said, I'm not trying to say that this will be the best movie ever. It just looks a lot more fun than I'd assume a Green Hornet movie could be when I heard there was one coming out.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I thought the 3d in alice in wonderland was also tacked on? Or am I confusing that with clash of the boring?

    Alice's 3d was added in post-production but they knew they wanted it to be 3d when it was filmed.

    Clash of the Boring was "Hey, Avatar is making big bucks! What do we have coming out that we can make 3d?" And, from the reports I have, the 3d was awful because, well, the film was not intended to be seen in 3d and that extra dimension didn't add anything to the experience.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm with you Z, the trailer made me want to see it, but then again so did Daybreakers and I got burned on that.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I thought the 3d in alice in wonderland was also tacked on? Or am I confusing that with clash of the boring?

    Clash of the Boring was definitely tacked on, but Alice may have been shot that way. I forget.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm with you Z, the trailer made me want to see it, but then again so did Daybreakers and I got burned on that.

    lol, yeah I was pretty iffy about Daybreakers. It's still on my netflix queue just because I like Willem Dafoe and the way they shot it made it look all futuristic noir style, but I've heard from pretty much everyone that it's "meh".

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm with you Z, the trailer made me want to see it, but then again so did Daybreakers and I got burned on that.

    lol, yeah I was pretty iffy about Daybreakers. It's still on my netflix queue just because I like Willem Dafoe and the way they shot it made it look all futuristic noir style, but I've heard from pretty much everyone that it's "meh".

    I dunno I guess I expected more action, but the trailers show you just about all the action, and then the "cure" is retarded just retarded.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.