Pretend they aren't there.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Pretend they aren't there.

Meh probably look better in motion, seeing stills of a movie thats going to have cgi and clean up is difficult especially a super hero movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, i'd still prefer if that suit looks a bit more weathered/worn out. It still seems a bit corny, but they did an admirable job.

It's just the color scheme that bugs me; you'd have to mute them down somewhat fierce to get a more believable look.

Godfather on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The helmet seems off to me but I don't think they could have made it look any better. Rest of the suit is ace.

Someone who's not at work should post the Spider-Man suit as well.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The helmet seems off to me but I don't think they could have made it look any better. Rest of the suit is ace.

Someone who's not at work should post the Spider-Man suit as well.
    garfieldspiderman(1).jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Orestus wrote: »
    I don't want to derail the thread, but I'd just point out that in all the modern conflicts listed there the invading force had complete, unassailable air supremacy, and still lost.

Didn't really lose, simply lost the will to engage. Assuming any kind of technical parity which would even let us fight the aliens rather than having them just be gods (ie, they flew here on some kind of generation ship, perhaps even one they didn't build themselves and thus have technology perhaps 100 years ahead of ours) the aliens cant retreat. They can't lose the will to engage, and even if they did they could simply secure a beachhead and use their advanced tech to outproduce us.

They always have the option due to space superiority to devastate us at any time, and they can effectively strike without warning. Furthermore, unless for some strange reason they are also human we cannot effectively infiltrate their bases.

To produce an alien invasion humans can defeat you need to manufacture a pretty strange set of circumstances, primarily revolving around the aliens not having any space weaponry and refusing to use weapons of mass destruction. They also need to want to capture humanity nearly intact, and have a strong desire to not massacre civilians. In addition they need to be woefully unprepared for our level of technology, and have some pretty major other disadvantages.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm persuaded by the notion that an alien race that is looking to invade a populated planet by force aren't going to be of godlike technological capability, it seems more likely they'll just be really desperate.

Hoz on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ca510.jpg

I'm actually starting to think that the suit looks decent.

I like it. A good adaptation of his actual suit vs a complete reworking ala X-Men is preferable in this case and I think they pulled it off as well as can be expected.

Edit: Now I want the Fantastic Four to show up in one of these films and have Chris Evans play both The Human Torch & Captain America. The dialogue there would be fun to write.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    I'm persuaded by the notion that an alien race that is looking to invade a populated planet by force aren't going to be of godlike technological capability, it seems more likely they'll just be really desperate.

To cross from one planet to another takes a near to godlike technical capacity. The energy requirements to speed up, and stop in a short subjective time or to maintain a spacecraft for the hundreds of years it would require if you don't do that are as beyond what we can do as we are beyond say, the vikings.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ca510.jpg

I'm actually starting to think that the suit looks decent.

I like it. A good adaptation of his actual suit vs a complete reworking ala X-Men is preferable in this case and I think they pulled it off as well as can be expected.

I like how it looks somewhat practical, but at the same time flamingly over-the-top.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »

To cross from one planet to another takes a near to godlike technical capacity. The energy requirements to speed up, and stop in a short subjective time or to maintain a spacecraft for the hundreds of years it would require if you don't do that are as beyond what we can do as we are beyond say, the vikings.
    It certainly seems that way to us. And Somali pirates would seem to have godlike abilities to ancient Egyptians but that doesn't make them so, nor would they be invincible to aggression by these ancient Egyptians.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would like the idea of a earth winning the fight like how America won our independence, by just making it too costly to keep fighting so far away.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Hmm, i'd still prefer if that suit looks a bit more weathered/worn out. It still seems a bit corny, but they did an admirable job.

It's just the color scheme that bugs me; you'd have to mute them down somewhat fierce to get a more believable look.

I'll just bet

(MOVIE SPECULATION)
    that shot is right after he got that suit, which would explain the uh, "newness". The rumors I've heard say that hes in a different USO outfit for the beginning of the movie

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also it would also be cool if in a movie about aliens a seperate faction assaulted the first while we distracted them. I hate united alien races as a force of imminent doom.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Joolander wrote: »

I'll just bet

(MOVIE SPECULATION)
    that shot is right after he got that suit, which would explain the uh, "newness". The rumors I've heard say that hes in a different USO outfit for the beginning of the movie

Well here's hoping. Sometimes I need to put aside my feelings towards comic books and just see how things turn out.

One of the articles I was reading about the flick talked about how, in the movie, the captain keeps commenting at how ridiculous the costume is in general, and I like that; it's always more believable to see a hero become self-aware at how ridiculous their get-up can get at times.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joolander wrote: »

I'll just bet

(MOVIE SPECULATION)

Well here's hoping. Sometimes I need to put aside my feelings towards comic books and just see how things turn out.

One of the articles I was reading about the flick talked about how, in the movie, the captain keeps commenting at how ridiculous the costume is in general, and I like that; it's always more believable to see a hero become self-aware at how ridiculous their get-up can get at times.

Especially because it shows that the government is forcing him to wear the suit so he can serve as their symbol and recruiting tool. I like that too.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah, i'm a big fan of that. The only other superhero movie that did something similar was Hancock, when Smith originally wasn't gonna wear his get-up come hell or high water.

I was so disappointed that Hancock turned out the way it did. It had enormous potential to shake the stereotypical superhero tale, but it did so many other things wrong and wasted a lot of its ideas that I can't bring myself to defend it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »

It certainly seems that way to us. And Somali pirates would seem to have godlike abilities to ancient Egyptians but that doesn't make them so, nor would they be invincible to aggression by these ancient Egyptians.

and a single modern tank with enough fuel and ammo could defeat every pre-modern warfare army on the planet. what's your point?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    and a single modern tank with enough fuel and ammo could defeat every pre-modern warfare army on the planet. what's your point?
    No, it couldn't. That's my point.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Shit.. a guy with a machine gun with infinite ammo and the right tools to keep it maintained could have ruled the entire world by himself back then. If not from sheer force then from the locals thinking he's some kind of god. I could only imagine what a tank would do. Probably break down. Then the guy would use its pieces to build armor and artillery to combat the coming undead skeletal horde.

I am all in for battle:LA. I am fully expecting it to suck. But the trailer looks good enough and when it actually turns out to be good I can be pleasantly suprised. If not I can still get my jollies from that sweet ass CGI that looks very similiar to district 9.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shit.. a guy with a machine gun with infinite ammo and the right tools to keep it maintained could have ruled the entire world by himself back then. If not from sheer force then from the locals thinking he's some kind of god. I could only imagine what a tank would do. Probably break down.
    That's pretty much the biggest advantage advanced technology would bring in these clashes of mismatched technological capability.

As for the single modern tank, it could have all the fuel and ammo but it still needs a crew of 4 human beings to run it. And they're going to need to leave the tank if not to resupply the tank (believe it or not, tanks can only hold a finite amount of fuel and ammo) then to eat and sleep. And even if the tank doesn't need maintenance, it's still constrained by natural terrain and modern tanks need modern bridges.
    tank-stuck-in-mud.jpg

Hoz on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Shit.. a guy with a machine gun with infinite ammo and the right tools to keep it maintained could have ruled the entire world by himself back then. If not from sheer force then from the locals thinking he's some kind of god. I could only imagine what a tank would do. Probably break down. Then the guy would use its pieces to build armor and artillery to combat the coming undead skeletal horde.

I am all in for battle:LA. I am fully expecting it to suck. But the trailer looks good enough and when it actually turns out to be good I can be pleasantly suprised. If not I can still get my jollies from that sweet ass CGI that looks very similiar to district 9.

You know modern warfare refers to anything before WW2, right?

You'd have a hard time in the wild west with just a machine gun to back you up, let alone facing the Boche.

edit: well ok maybe if it was a vss vintorez... and a wheelbarrow ... and a burning cloak of some sort.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »

You know modern warfare refers to anything before WW2, right?

You'd have a hard time in the wild west with just a machine gun to back you up, let alone facing the Boche.
    I didn't really read the post before me. I was thinking medieval times or before. We'll yeah I'd agree with that. Since they had some form of machine gun back then anyway. Gattling gun anyone?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Here's some background:

Angels and Airwaves is a band created by Blink 182's guitarist/vocalist Tom DeLonge after Blink 182 broke up a few years ago (and then got back together again). DeLonge had this grandiose idea for his band along with a story he created that follows the albums. Blink 182 is one of my guilty pleasures, but I really dislike Angels and Airwaves. Some people really love them. Anyway, DeLonge got his ego inflated to Bono proportions (he said that his new band would change the history of music, etc) and he's been working on this movie for quite a while. I don't think the movie is going to be magnificent, especially if its soundtrack is composed of all Angels and Airwaves music, but I'm going to watch it with low expectations.

If you want to see the direction the movie is going to go, check out some of their music videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMl8cQjBfqk

I have no idea how this movie ended up in a film festival. Maybe it'll surprise me and be good.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    okay great hoz would you like me to make up more parameters? Would that make you happy?

ironclads were more or less unkillable by wooden ships and they served side by side for some time. The first iron clad duel also involved wooden ships but they were oblitered on both sides. It takes very little time for technology to be utterly eclipsed in warfare.

and my understanding is that the civil war was the first modern war.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    A new trailers thread will be up shortly.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.