Options

Trailers: They're like movies, but shorter

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I dunno I guess I expected more action, but the trailers show you just about all the action, and then the "cure" is retarded just retarded.

I saw Daybreakers in the theatres with a friend.

By simply figuring it out, I called the "plot twist" like 10 or 15 minutes before it happened.

Apparently I'm no longer allowed to talk during movies.

But seriously, I'm super good at this game. I was awesome at it during Lost viewings with those friends too.

For a while I wasn't allowed to talk during Lost either. Same reason.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Green Hornet looks terrible. Seth Rogen isn't an action movie leading man. If it was a full on comedy, then maybe, but I don't even know what this is trying to be.

Red though, just absolutely awesome.

Urian on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Green Hornet looks terrible. Seth Rogen isn't an action movie leading man. If it was a full on comedy, then maybe, but I don't even know what this is trying to be.

It's a comedy with explosions and asskicking is what it looks like.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »

It's a comedy with explosions and asskicking is what it looks like.

Trailers are usually misleading, but that one didn't show any comedy at all.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know the source material behind Red, but that trailer was great.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Apparently the original graphic novel was a lot more grim, but Warren Ellis is all about the movie.

He's like yeah they made it more of a comedy than the comic was, but if you're someone who doesn't want to see Helen Mirren shoot people with a sniper rifle, you are not a person I want to know.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Apparently the original graphic novel was a lot more grim, but Warren Ellis is all about the movie.

He's like yeah they made it more of a comedy than the comic was, but if you're someone who doesn't want to see Helen Mirren shoot people with a sniper rifle, you are not a person I want to know.

I like authors like that, who don't lose their shit when a movie changes the characters a bit. Besides with a cast like that, you really can't complain too much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245526/

Also jesus Richard Dreyfus, Karl Urban, brian cox, and James Remar (ok remar is stretching it for being a name but still hes memorable to me). Huge cast.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I like authors like that, who don't lose their shit when a movie changes the characters a bit. Besides with a cast like that, you really can't complain too much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245526/

Also jesus Richard Dreyfus, Karl Urban, brian cox, and James Remar (ok remar is stretching it for being a name but still hes memorable to me). Huge cast.

It's alright, all the cool kids like James Remar. We'll forgive him being in that Mortal Kombat sequel.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's alright, all the cool kids like James Remar. We'll forgive him being in that Mortal Kombat sequel.

And judge dredd.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010

And judge dredd.

What?! Modern classic.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

And judge dredd.

My Judge Dredd-sense went off and it led me in here where I find you of all people Preacher insulting mankinds greatest masterpiece. I can't even look at you right now.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010

Basically:

New director at CIA, some politically appointed spineless bureaucrat. He gets shown the Red Room, where he gets briefed about Paul Moses (Frank Moses in the movie for whatever reason).

Paul Moses has been murdering people all over the world for 40 years in the name of his state. New director gets scared shitless and wants to bury all traces of that cold war era, orders him taken out.

Paul Moses has been retired, with just a contact at the CIA he reports to daily ("Status: green.") and chats with a bit. Three-man CIA hit squad arrives at his house. He takes them out. Reports "status: RED" and goes AWOL.

Cue tons of bloody killings. This is the GRIMDARK level of the novel:
    14065206.jpg

Personally I was all WHATTHESHIT about the trailer at first, but yeah, I think that movie will work out nicely.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That panel makes it look pretty cool.

EDIT: Although now having watched the trailer based on that panel, I think I#'d prefer the comic over the film. Doubt there'd be any cold blooded execution like in that panel judging from the trailer

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

EDIT: Although now having watched the trailer based on that panel, I think I#'d prefer the comic over the film. Doubt there'd be any cold blooded execution like in that panel judging from the trailer

Yeah but there might be hilariously cold blooded killing. Like in Gross Pointe Blank.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah but there might be hilariously cold blooded killing. Like in Gross Pointe Blank.

Oh man, GPB is the best assassin-comedy. Bullshit like "Killers" and "Knight & Day" can't come close.

I've seen that panel before, didn't know it was from this. Now I want to hunt these comics down.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tom Cruise caught taking it in the @$$...

... at the Box Office

Not so long ago, Tom Cruise was the biggest movie star on the planet. During the '80s and '90s, the guy could not miss. But then, one fateful day, the excitable star decided to jump on Oprah's couch. It's been a rough go ever since.

Many feel that the infamous moment, combined with a bizarre interview with Matt Lauer, caused his star power to tumble. His movies, which used to be sure money-makers, began to look a little risky. Does Cruise's newest film, "Knight and Day," put him back at the top of the box office? To quote our Magic 8 Ball, "outlook not so good."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the film, which opened on Wednesday, earned $3.8 million on its opening day. That may not sound too shabby for a Wednesday, but keep in mind that "Toy Story 3" took in $13 million during the same time period. Box Office Mojo lists the top Wednesday grosses of all time, and "Knight and Day" doesn't even come close to cracking the top 50, despite rising ticket prices. Ruh-roh.

This dubious beginning isn't a surprise to everyone. Over the past week, Web searches on the film have been tepid at best, despite a vigorous marketing campaign. Pre-release surveys revealed that audiences weren't excited about the movie. The L.A. Times speculates that the film will be lucky to gross even $25 million by Sunday. Compare that to the movie's budget: the LA Times estimates that production cost around $117 million. Marketing was "tens of millions more."

But it's not like this is "Gigli" we're talking about. The film has earned decent, if not glowing, reviews. Roger Ebert gives it three stars and Claudia Puig of USA Today writes that "Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz make a surprisingly charming couple." True, the New York Times called it "loud, seemingly interminable, and altogether incoherent," but, hey, you can't please everybody.

Too bad, because according to Deadline, the box-office performance of "Knight and Day" could have an effect on another Tom Cruise flick -- the proposed "Mission: Impossible 4." The blog writes, "Hollywood has been buzzing that the studio might kill 'MI4' if 'Knight' doesn't connect with audiences despite Cruise's action hero character."

Slash Film calls this "speculation-ville." Still, if the numbers don't pick up there is one sequel we're sure nobody will ever green-light: "Knight and Day 2."

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz-log-a-rough-start-for-knight-and-day.html
    Ouch, thats worse than the freaking Karate Kid remake isnt it? Tom Cruise is officially box office poison.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I can understand if Verbinski doesn't have many sympathies, and that some may find Johnny Depp annoying as a VA.

But this looks effing stunning, in terms of fidelity, detail and richness. The design choices may irk some people, but you can't deny they set it apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQjJEYTiga0

Edit: Oh Johnny Depp, your characters are always getting in trouble and they always get so charmingly befuddled and nervous about the trouble they're in.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That looks pretty cool, and the fact that it's not a Blue Sky Studios production gives me hope.

[edit] ILM is making it? Sweet.

Glal on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Morse code? Really? Really?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What's wrong with morse code?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm more angry at how most of the scenes in the trailer is a shot for shot duplicate of the Swedish version of the film.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, if it ain't broke... I'm wondering if they have the stones to take the pool scene as far as the original did.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KjwNOTdqM

So this is apparently adapted from a short comic by Warren Ellis I haven't read.

Holy cow though, look at that cast.

looks like the A team but good and not corny as all get out

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If any of you watch the American version without watching the Swedish one, either before or after...

You will be judged. There are those who will know what you did.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It just comes off as trying to be clever with something really obvious, like the world's lamest attempt at viral marketing. "Oh man, I recognize that, I'm gonna go decode it right now!".

Glal on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    It just comes off as trying to be clever with something really obvious, like the world's lamest attempt at viral marketing. "Oh man, I recognize that, I'm gonna go decode it right now!".

It was a relatively big part of the original movie.

Minor spoiler:
    The boy and the vampire share adjoining walls in their apartment complex, and they communicate by tapping morse code on the wall, and then end up using the morse code in a few other places throughout the film as a kind of young lovers' shorthand.

Basically I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with viral marketing.

EDIT: I want to know what music that is in the trailer though, it's pretty cool.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, it's part of the original movie? Okay then (not seen it yet).

Glal on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    how do I watch the swedish version?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    how do I watch the swedish version?

If you can't get it legit without overbearing hassle, I will noogie every single person that judges you for just downloading it.

It really is one of the most solid Swedish movies ever, and miles better than that Dragon Tattoo movie so many of you yanks got so excited over (seriously, it's pretty bad).

Fascinatingly good editing and photo, supreme child acting and a neat, enclosed story with real emotional weight and attention to details (such as the overwhelmingly unpleasant way alcoholics banter between one another). You will watch that movie.

In Swedish the title is "Låt den rätte komma in". Oh, read the book as well, before or after the movie. John Ajvide Lindqvist is a very competent and ambitious author.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's hardly an obscure dvd, so hassle shouldn't factor in. Amazon should have it, and any number of other places.

EDIT:

Let The Right One In, dvd, used, from 3.50:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001MYIXAC/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1278011811&sr=8-1&condition=used

It's possibly also available on various download services, and whatnot. I think it's on Netflix' streaming thingamabob.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I found it at a library. Most decent ones carry a good selection of foreign films.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH

Basically how I felt.

Then I thought, just maybe it will be good.

Then I went back to UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, I came here to post that RED trailer.

After the initial shock of them comedy-ing it up, I think it's actually somewhat interesting.

Warren Ellis wrote some stuff about the differences between the graphic novel and the movie, and he makes good points.

I would have preferred if it stayed as dark as the source material, but this might work too.

I have massive respect for Warren Ellis coming out to defend the adaptation like that. The film looks really awesome.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let the Right one In is on netflix on demand still. Or, it's still in my queue at least, so I'm assuming it works

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Much respect for Ellis sticking up for what looks like a decent adaptation. At the very least he wasn't shitting on it prior to it coming out.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I see the "Let me in" trailer in theaters I will boo so loud.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well that just seems rude.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with the trailer. Looks fine to me.

Oops. I mean. ARGH American remake! ELITE INTERNET RAGE!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
This discussion has been closed.