As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time can be rewritten. So can thread titles.

• Options
    LucentLucent Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah that is something I will never understand
    If the Time Lords created the Valeyard by clip-clopping over to the Doctor's penultimate regeneration, when/how did that even happen? I mean-- I know it's Doctor Who and weird shit goes on, but it's a pretty fuzzy piece of continuity.

I do think though, with a little creative retro-active continuity of "it was always X" could make it cool. I mean the Time Lords are in a time lock right now, but does that apply just to the era of the Last Time War, or all eras of Galifrey?

WIBBLY WOBBLY TIMEY WIMEY STUFF

Lucent on
    s6e07VashAndJennySig2.png
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Callius wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    The only problem with The Valeyard is that he never really made sense.

They're just like, 'yeah he was created between the 12th and final regenerations.

What? What?
    well
    The master has regenerated well past 13... wellllllll past

sure but

between the 12th and final regeneration

so like...12 3/4?

bongi on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    martha is way hot so she is my favorite

i just finished the new new york episode
    face of boe nooooo :(

:(:(

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

They're just like, 'yeah he was created between the 12th and final regenerations.

What? What?
    well

sure but

so like...12 3/4?
    Maybe he was snatched up during the regeneration process? Like, exploding with time energy-- WHOOPS GOT YOUR ID :D

Lucent on
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucent wrote: »

What? What?
    well

sure but

so like...12 3/4?
    Maybe he was snatched up during the regeneration process? Like, exploding with time energy-- WHOOPS GOT YOUR ID :D
    Maybe the regeneration's interrupted or something like that. And now that we're slowly edging towards the end of the Doctor's regeneration cycle, the wording "somewhere between [the Doctor's] twelfth and final regenerations" could take on a new meaning. If the Doctor continues past his thirteenth life, then the Valeyard could be almost anywhere in the Doctor's future.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    On regeneration
    Didn't one get used up during the season 4 finale? Meaning the next should be his last. Or does that one not count?

Silven on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Silven wrote: »
    On regeneration
    Didn't one get used up during the season 4 finale? Meaning the next should be his last. Or does that one not count?
    I think the consensus has now shifted to the idea that it wasn't a regeneration, as the Doctor was only healed. So it was a partial regeneration. RTD said somewhere at some point that this would have "consequences", but nothing obvious came up. I guess the Doctor was supposed to regenerate then, but Daleks and cracks and timey-wimeyness let him avert it, so when he finally did regenerate, he'd been holding it back for so long that it was explosive enough to screw up the TARDIS.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    twitchmosstwitchmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    *some time in the 70s*

"so, this regeneration thing? how many should we give him?"

"eh, just go to thirteen. its not like we're ever going to reach that number. i mean, seriously. can you imagine this being on for that long?"

*several decades later*

"well... bugger. who came up with that idea?"

twitchmoss on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm just afraid that they are going to recon the limit without an explanation. Sure i want the show to continue, but ever since the new series started, they seem to have pushed to the new crowd that there is no limit... "I dont age, I regenerate" Calling him immortal. Never have they mentioned anything about the limit.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Well The Master had already gone over his regeneration 'limit'.

Wasn't there a suggestion that 12 regenerations was enforced by the Time Lords but not actually a limit of Gallifreyan physiology, or something?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, the masters a bit of a special case and cant be used to compare the doctor going past 13...
    Why?
    In the old series until the 5 doctors, he had to steal other peoples lives to regenerate since he was at the end of his cycle. In the 5 doctors episode, the time lords offered him 'a complete new life cycle' in exchange for his help in the phantom zone...which suggested either another regeneration or maybe even a new cycle of 13.

In the movie, he was turned into slime, yet was still able to 'possess' another body.
    (New series information spoilers in here about the master for anyone who hasnt seen them)
    In the new series, he was ressurected by the time lords to fight in the time war. And then he fled, but apparently the new body he was in had at least several regenerations left in it since he did it as Yana, and could have done it again but chose not to later...then came back through ....*magic*...(sorry threw up in my mouth a little).
    I dont think any of these examples really apply to how the doc could continue.

The only thing i can see is that the doctor, being the sole survivor of the time lords is now in control of how many times he regenerates and while he may want to die, his sense of responsibility is too much for him to simply let himself die.
    While it might be a cop out...as long as they come out and say that, its fine. If he just regenerates on his thirteenth life as if hes permanently immortal with no sayso, ill be massively dissapointed. It's kinda hard to have a sense of danger for someone who truely is immortal.

azith28 on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if he's the last time lord, who's going to enforce the limit anyway
    IF

OMG FACE OF BOE

DON'T TELL ME THINGS YOU GUYS I AM STILL IN SEASON 3

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well sure, if there really is some kind of 'limit' that was more culture and tradition then the limit is gone...but thats never been really clarified.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Regarding the Dream Lord
    I can't decide what the reflection in the console at the end is supposed to mean, exactly

It's either a last residual effect of the psychic pollen, and a reminder to the Doctor that he has bitterness and darkness within him just like everyone else; or there's more to the Dream Lord than we know and he could become a threat again in the future, like the Valeyard, as you guys have speculated

I don't know which one I prefer

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finishing up the first season.

John Barrowman should really be in every episode.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »

goodnewseveryonegif.png
    He's in a lot of episodes.

Lucent on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "That's a compact laser deluxe! Where were you hiding THAT?"

Faricazy on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what's the valeyard?

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Valeyard was basically suppose to be the Doctor gone evil/insane and it supposidly happens in his 12th-13th regeneration...the 8th doctor was basically put on trial for his future actions. It's an interesting plot point to some people, but occurs in such a obscure time relative to when doctor who was popular that not many people know about it. Wikipedia has more.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "That's a compact laser deluxe! Where were you hiding THAT?"

heh

get it?????

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You have a one-shot defabricator. Do you use it on John Barrowman or Karen Gillan?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    The Valeyard was basically suppose to be the Doctor gone evil/insane and it supposidly happens in his 12th-13th regeneration...the 8th doctor was basically put on trial for his future actions. It's an interesting plot point to some people, but occurs in such a obscure time relative to when doctor who was popular that not many people know about it. Wikipedia has more.
    6th Doctor.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Right right...i knew it was collin baker, i just got the numbers messed up.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You have a one-shot defabricator. Do you use it on John Barrowman or Karen Gillan?

So basically your trying to identify the gay men in the room right? Karen all the way.

azith28 on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Whether the limit is tradition or not, I'd like to see some sort of consequence for breaking it. Some traditions have a purpose.

Silven on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "What's a defabricator do!?"

"Oh."

Lucent on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What if the Dream Lord is actually...
    the Tardis?

Opty on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Except that it was made perfectly clear that The Dream Lord is
    The Doctor

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010

What?

God, no.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What?

God, no.
    BONGI

YOU OF ALL PEOPLE

I EXPECTED YOU TO UNDERSTAND

Faricazy on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, you see, bongi hast taste.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Can I use it on Tennant? If not, I choose Barrowman. Gillan is too scrawny for me. I like girls with curves :winky:

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked captain jack when he wasn't in torchwood.

I disliked how he was written.

I mean he was a different person to who the Doctor had been travelling with in the new series.

Making him invincible was a bit silly though. When he was just hiding guns up his butt and hitting on everything he was fine though.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    I liked captain jack when he wasn't in torchwood.

I disliked how he was written.

I mean he was a different person to who the Doctor had been travelling with in the new series.

Making him invincible was a bit silly though. When he was just hiding guns up his butt and hitting on everything he was fine though.

I have not seen a single episode of Torchwood so this may be why I still love Harkness.

Lucent on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Torchwood is pretty good, Children of Earth is really a cut above the other seasons.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    From what I have seen of torchwood it is terrible.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I mean I liked his first season appearances.

They were fun and silly!

After that though RTD seemed like he was trying to make him better than the doctor, and that didn't really jive with me.

Blake T on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no blaket torchwood is pretty cool

please blaket do not hate me for my opinions :(

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Most of the episodes to me seemed like is was just another Alien creature is released in Wales and it kills people by boning them.

And occasionally the team will bone one another.

It's like they had a chance to make doctor who slightly more adult which is fine, but the only way they could think of making it more adult was just to fuck everyone in sight.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's why Children of Earth is so kickass.

Faricazy on
This discussion has been closed.