As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time can be rewritten. So can thread titles.

1565758596062»

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    but that doesn't make sense! in the episode where the enterprise c comes through that fucking time rift it alters history and makes it so the federation goes to war with the klingons and the federation are getting fucking raped!

why not assimilate the klingons?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is literally a thread about the Borg floating around here somewhere

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah but i'd have to find it.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well Moffat created Captain Jack, didn't he? In The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances? Seems obvious he'd want to use him in the show. I dont' think he's written a Captain Jack scene in Doctor Who since those first ones.

i think rtd wants him for torchwood now.

plus moffat basically wrote him as dr who's han solo and today he's more like gay jesus

Nuzak on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did you guys know Matt Smith was on the last episode of Nerdist Podcast? He was!

Also he was recently on Craig Ferguson

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Well Moffat created Captain Jack, didn't he? In The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances? Seems obvious he'd want to use him in the show. I dont' think he's written a Captain Jack scene in Doctor Who since those first ones.

i think rtd wants him for torchwood now.

plus moffat basically wrote him as dr who's han solo and today he's more like gay jesus

But Jesus only did that trick, like, once. And there were just some hos there, so he totally could have faked it.

Anyway, I like the idea of Jack, but yeah, RTD turned him into a big hammy sandwich just like most of RTD's episodes.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So in the run up to christmas, I have been watching alot of doctor who, and running through the New Series from the very beginning right up to The End of Time, and it's made me think about the ending, and some peoples reactions to the whole thing.

Spoilers

So, Ten's regeneration. At the time, i remember people being in two camps. There were those that said it was one of the best regenerations, a beautiful send off for one of the most popular doctors to date. And then there was some people who said it was mawkish guff that was far too out of persona for the doctor. To be honest, i was kinda on the fence about it.

But now, a year on, and watching it again, i've grown to love it.

See, the tenth doctor loved himself. He thought he was fucking brilliant, the best one yet, you could tell by just looking at him, he was stylish and young and clever and oh god did he know it. People talk about the Sixth doctor's ego, but i would go so far to say that Ten's was worse, throughout the series he has quite a few points where he congratulates his genius.

And that was his downfall, in the end. See, his regeneration story started in Journey's End. The moment he stops himself from regeneration, effectively wasting the energy. His reasoning for this? "Why would i want to change? Look at me!"

And that is where it starts. He is a doctor who loves himself so much he possibly wastes a regeneration. He is doomed from that on.

Remember that this isn't like most of the other doctor's regenerations either. Most of them went suddenly, or without much warning. You can see a slight mirror in Four and Ten, with both knowing that the end is going. But Four knew for a day, two at most. Ten could have had the four knocks hanging over his head for months, years. His is a slow death, and he has alot more time to....well, have that fact sink in and effect him mentally.

The Time Lord Victorious is another sign of this. Because why should he die? He is amazing, so amazing that the rules of time don't apply to him! He knows he's going to regenerate, the scene with Wilf, he talks about the other man walking away. And regeneration is a kind of death, because although Eleven has all the memories of the his predecessors, he doesn't have their personality, their quirks and foibles that make them up.

And then when Ten thinks he's got away with it and cheated it all, he is overjoyed. And what happens when he finds out that Wilf is trapped? He throws a fit. He's angry, he shouts that he is so amazing and Wilf is nothing. (Which is what alot of people didn't like) And then, because he's the fucking doctor, he still steps up, and saves a old man.

Ok, he has his final farewells, but again that fits in with this doctor. He loves himself, and he loves the people who thought he was so amazing. Of course he'd go back and give them one more chance to see how brilliant he is. The only part of that final tour that really got me was the last one, Rose, when you could see he was barely holding it together and he wasn't interested in looking cool or saving the day one last time, he just wanted to see her before he changed, before he stopped caring about her.

And then there is his final words, the words that personally made me cry. "I don't want to go" And although this is alot of Ten's ego, i think all the doctors feel this at their last moments. But this is the first time he has regenerated on his own, with no-one to have to talk through it or explain what is going on. I would say this is what the doctor really feels (Although yes, there is the whole RTD thing and you can't deny that) But on his own, with no-one around him, and with his ego at a all time high, he says out loud what we all would think.

"I don't want to go"

And then what happens? Eleven is born and he is carefree and happy. Ten spent his last Weeks/months/years dreading the death, dreading the four knocks, and when it happens?......Well it's like anything you dread, once it's over you tend to go "Was that it? I'm fine!"

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, don't get me wrong though, I love Doctor Ten.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah, i can see that

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Our christmas is revolving around the christmas special... We are having a full English evening, with christmas poppers, Christmas pudding, and the doctor

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I need to make it more british

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Polecat wrote: »

Have you got Yorkshire Puddings for your christmas dinner?

Oh, oh oh! And Pig in a Blanket?

Plus the Queen does a speech to the nation at 3pm, i think it's shown on youtube these days.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looking at it like that makes me like it a lot more, actually.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yorkshire pudding is rubbish.

What you need is a Christmas pudding.
    christmas-pudding.jpg

That blue glow isn't photoshop, it's fire.

e: Oh you already have a Christmas pudding. Good on you. You're all set, then.

Legba on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I finally picked up the Torchwood: Children of Earth DVD set today. I will do my best to ration the five episodes. It's nice to have some new (to me) Whoniverse stuff to dip into again.

EDIT: Legba I like your interpretation of it. It's nothing against Tennant, but I think by the time End of Time rolled around Ten had to go. He was too emotionally damaged, too dangerous to live. I hadn't been genuinely scared by anything in New Who until that moment in Waters of Mars where he declared himself Timelord Victorious. And it was The Doctor that was scaring me!

Butler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Legba wrote: »

christmas-pudding.jpg

What the fuck is in that? It looks like raisins and pasta and...grubs?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You shut your face.

Christmas pudding is the best part of christmas.

You are showing ig'nance here boy.

Blake T on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The crackers only give out different coloured bow ties

presents must be wrapped in tweed

Cliff Richards must be on constant loop in the background

Watch the Queen's Christmas address

Gatsby on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every child above 7 gets a Jack Russell with a monocle and a hunting jacket.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    You shut your face.

Christmas pudding is the best part of christmas.

You are showing ig'nance here boy.

I am honestly curious! That picture doesn't seem to do it justice.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    so I made a homemade christmas pudding... (can't get that shit in the states at all) so we'll see how it turned out:

Christmas pudding is a lot of dried fruits, some suet (also hard to find in america), bread and a shittonne of booze...

you let that ferment for a year...

pour more booze on top... light that shit on fire... eat it

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm trying to also get my family to read dickens every christmas eve... but generally we watch like 3 different versions of a Christmas Carol over next week anyways...

is the queen's address on BBCAmerica?

I used to get so pissed when my christmas popper had the paper crown... now, I don't get the paper crown I get pissed...

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man my recipe doesn't take a freaking year.
    PUDDING

500g mixed fruit
    125 dates
    125g raisins
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    125g butter

1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
    2 eggs
    1 cup plain flour
    1 cup self raising flour
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/8 cup of bundy rum

In pan place the mixed fruit, roughly chopped dates, raisins, water,
    sugars, salt and butter.

Stir over low heat until butter has melted, simmer 8 minutes,
    stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in bicarb.

Allow to stand until completely cold.

Lightly beat together the eggs and rum, stir into cold mixture with
    wooden spoon. Add sifted flours, mixed spice and cinnamon.

To steam
    Put into a well greased pudding bowl. Make a double alfoil lid and
    tie with string.
    Place in large saucepan on something to keep pudding basin from
    touching the bottom.
    Fill with water so it is just over 1/2 way up the pudding bowl and
    put saucepan lid on.
    Steam 3 hours, possibly 4 hours. Replenish with boiling water
    every 20 minutes.
    Pop out on to alfoil and wrap thoroughly. 2 layers.

Reboil 2 hours on day of serving.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    from what I can tell it doesn't matter how long it sits as long as it stays chilled... the longer it sits the more the booze can ferment the fruits and make it boozier

I dont have real pudding bowls... (asking for a pudding bowl in america u get some little shallow thing)... gonna have to amazon that shit for next year

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    I finally picked up the Torchwood: Children of Earth DVD set today. I will do my best to ration the five episodes. It's nice to have some new (to me) Whoniverse stuff to dip into again.

EDIT: Legba I like your interpretation of it. It's nothing against Tennant, but I think by the time End of Time rolled around Ten had to go. He was too emotionally damaged, too dangerous to live. I hadn't been genuinely scared by anything in New Who until that moment in Waters of Mars where he declared himself Timelord Victorious. And it was The Doctor that was scaring me!

i am pretty sure that was the idea, yes, and it worked quite well

it also highlighted why it is so vital that he have a companion

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    For those christmas pudding-ers out there... brandy butter or rum sauce? or both?

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also have any of you chaps seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCb3y4J850

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »

christmas-pudding.jpg

That might very well be delicious, but it looks like something a fruit cake monster horked up after a Christmas party

Tam on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh shit.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Fifteen years after Dimensions in Time, Courtney returned as Lethbridge-Stewart (now, Sir Alistair), freshly returned from Peru, in "Enemy of the Bane", a two-part story in the Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures aired in December 2008, starring Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. The story pitted Sir Alistair and Sarah Jane against Commander Kaagh and Mrs. Wormwood who try to wake Horath using the Tanguska Scroll.

I might have to swallow my pride and start watching The Sarah Jane Adventures. They brought back The Brigadier.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    For those christmas pudding-ers out there... brandy butter or rum sauce? or both?

Brandy butter. It's not even a question.
    Tam wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

christmas-pudding.jpg

That might very well be delicious, but it looks like something a fruit cake monster horked up after a Christmas party

78073443.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789219B309651A2344B3F32D896828EE4CFA14666A8DBA06CF702B5B59F6F390850E8

e: Okay the pictures might not be selling it. Trust me, it's delicious and your tastebuds will thank you.

Legba on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    christmas pudding is rank

eat chocolate log

that's not even a euphemism

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You're rank, nutzak.
    Differences in opinion will not be tolerated in my presence.
    :P

Legba on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    [Insert reference to Nuzak + soggy biscuit here]

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you want to be really traditional you should slip some sliver thrupenny bits into the pudding before serving - if you get one in your slice it's good luck.

If you choke on it and die then you're eating too fast. Slow down.

PaPa on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    do you put the pennies in before you steam it or after? Can the coins sit in the pudding while it sits?

where the hell do i get a threepense besides a tardis?

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You put the pennies in after cooking it. Being in while it sits before serving is fine.

As to where you'd get them...eh. My mother has some silver bits she's kept for like 20 years now. This is their sole and only purpose.

PaPa on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If you eat Christmas pudding that quickly you're liable to die anyway. That stuff is filling.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh hey page 100. Time to regenerate!

Legba on
This discussion has been closed.