As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Macbook key pops out of keyboard

GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM!ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have an issue with my Macbook.

For the last while my 'v' key decided to dislodge on one side and would just kinda hang on to the left side by a hinge or whatever keeps the key in, it usually happened if I pressed it in such a manner that I yank it sideways. Kinda hard to explain.

Anyways, the point is that I could usually just push it and it would kinda snap back into place. But today it has now popped out of place entirely, so I have this unsightly white... thing in my keyboard where a black key is supposed to be.

As you can see by this post, the key still works fine, I can press the little plastic nub and it works. But uh... I would like to stick the key back on somehow. Should I take it to the Apple Store and have them fix it or is there a simple fix? I was thinking a glue gun, if there was no chance of harm to the actual keyboard itself.

Thoughts? I could provide pictures if necessary but I imagine this is a common issue with an easy fix. Thanks!

EDIT: So I just kinda jammed it back on and now it seems to be in place. But knowing my luck this is a temporary fix.

GreasyKidsStuff on

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It could be fixed for good, or the plastic nubs under the key itself that hold onto the metal "hinge" in the keyboard is borked and won't hold properly.

If you bring it to the Apple store, they should just have a new key for you for no charge (or very little). Just say you need a new key on there. You can easily pop it on yourself too. If I remember correctly, it's just a matter of snapping the one part in there. Other keys, like the space bar, have more elaborate hookups.

You can probably check Youtube for a video of someone replacing keys to help you.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment