As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I just undeleted my Facebook account (Meiss panics, water still wet)

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man back in the day 50 friends was a lot

unless we're talking about people who aren't really friends and who are just there to numerically pad your friendcount

Raneados on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    facebook just exploits the voyeur in us all

do you really care about what that one girl who used to be kind of hot from high school is doing

no, we all just get off on the process of discovering what she is doing

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    i use facebook to jerk off to pictures of rane

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    i use facebook to jerk off to pictures of rane

exclusively.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    facebook just exploits the voyeur in us all

do you really care about what that one girl who used to be kind of hot from high school is doing

no, we all just get off on the process of discovering what she is doing

i don't

i don't actually care what most people are up to when I'm talking to them online, or even on the phone

small talk online is problematic

before i deleted it, my facebook remained unused for like 3 years

I do prefer to talk face to face, and my phone is exclusively for saying "hey meet me at ___ in ___ minutes so we can talk"

Raneados on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    seriously

facebook makes organizing parties way too easy

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That is wasteful.

Think of all the gas.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yes parties, facebook is good for that

also sharing shit like onion articles or just messin' around

tagging two of your friends in a picture of a van with a big "free candy" sign painted on, one in the front, one in the back

besides it's the way most people my age (i.e. 19) communicate online, i don't have any other chat devices except the one built into steam, and this is the only forum i regularly visit

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the art of conversing is dead

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no, not really

people are just communicating more often through a number of mediums that previously didn't exist

if you want to stick your head in the sand, that's fine too

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rane does this mean you will never want to talk to me since you can't see me?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ITS ALL WITCHCRAFT

Tasteticle on

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    seriously

facebook makes organizing parties way too easy

a just threw up an event two days ago with an hours notice and managed to get half a dozen dudes to rent out a billiards table at a bar with free beer all night.

Facebook, awwwwyuh.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    okay i didn't mean that in a mean way rane

i just meant like, that's cool too

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm all for broader communication and ease of access and the like, but it's creating a society where people don't talk to each other

people text each other from feet away, phonecalls into the next room, and using texting lingo in academic papers

It's not burying my head in the sand because i use all these forms of communication, I just PREFER to talk to people at their face holes

people get funny looks when they use correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.

people don't know the difference between their/they're/there. That is a MAJOR problem

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Rane does this mean you will never want to talk to me since you can't see me?

well I'd prefer to look into your eyes when i talk to you, but seeing as though i can't, I'll just have to make do with listening to your accent over the phone while i grope my own erection

Raneados on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    I'm all for broader communication and ease of access and the like, but it's creating a society where people don't talk to each other

people text each other from feet away, phonecalls into the next room, and using texting lingo in academic papers

It's not burying my head in the sand because i use all these forms of communication, I just PREFER to talk to people at their face holes

people get funny looks when they use correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.

people don't know the difference between their/they're/there. That is a MAJOR problem

This is true.

Then again I tend to avoid those people but hey.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2010

This sounds like an old man argument

I have never seen this happen in my whole life
    The internet did not cause this

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited May 2010

yeah but most of that is a symptom of, well, society sucking

stuff like their/they're/there should be drilled into people by the third grade, if not earlier

i mean, the romans had a ton of dick graffiti

people are dumb, society and culture show it, more at 11

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Being a high school student currently, I'm telling you that I see this shit all the time and goddamn fucking kids these days I swear

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I would say that the Internet exposes the problem though because before we would talk on the telephone we would not see this.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know.

They're/their/there in comparison to other problems in society.

Not that big a deal.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

you haven't been near many kids, then

and no, the internet didn't cause it, but it doesn't help that it propagates a society and culture that actively and aggressively refuses to learn it

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You know.

They're/their/there in comparison to other problems in society.

Not that big a deal.

problems do not go away just because there are bigger problems

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Being a high school student currently, I'm telling you that I see this shit all the time and goddamn fucking kids these days I swear

faith in humanity --

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    man you call it an "old man argument" but apparently you haven't been near a kid in like 10 years

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was a kid 10 years ago!

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    apparently your eyes fell out around that time

how interesting!

Raneados on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A friend of mine posted this article just yesterday...on his Facebook, which I thought was humorous

I basically gave him the same argument of "what exactly is so sacred about your information that you're entering" and he wouldn't hear it. Then another friend joined in and agreed with him.
    social networking has become an excepted norm of communication, like phone calls or email. If your Internet provider read your email or your phone company recorded your calls, mined the data, and sold it off you would be pissed. Social networking is a great thing. It allows people like us, who haven't seen each other in years and live a thousand miles away to communicate and stay in touch. The problem is we are ceeding this technology and network to a third-party, private corporation. Why not utilize the same technology and experience the same benefits without feeding some corporate beast who doesn't respect you, but wants to make $$ off of you?

tl;dr My friends are fucking morons

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I blocked my mother on facebook because I decided that as long as we speak daily it was silly for her to comment on every single thing I posted and ask me questions about stuff

She cried

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think having cell phones is actually a great thing - a tool that allows us all to stay connected whenever/wherever is a cool cool thing and has so many positive applications

Also if it wasn't for the internet I would probably be much more ignorant than I am right now - access to a virtually unlimited well of free information is the thing dreams are made of

But yeah dumb people will be dumb and do dumb things with good ideas - this really doesn't shock me

I think simply given the nature of the medium we just see much more of it then we ever would otherwise

But maybe I am not as jaded about things, yet

yet

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    for some reason it annoys me when people set shit that ain't them as their profile picture

god damn it karen you are not a dog

no, beth, I don't want to see your creepy fucking baby every time you post about how drunk you got last night

jesus christ michael you're not an anime character

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    oh, given the choice, I would choose to keep all the technology around

i mean the good side definitely outweighs the bad

but i just hope it continues to

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Faynor wrote: »
    for some reason it annoys me when people set shit that ain't them as their profile picture

no, beth, I don't want to see your creepy fucking baby every time you post about how drunk you got last night

for the love of god michael you're not an anime character

you haven't seen shit until a woman takes a picture of her stillborn baby and uses that as her profile pic!

Tasteticle on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I am currently Mark Pellegrino

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    seriously every time she made a status post it was like yup that sure is your dead baby's dead face

Tasteticle on

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

for the love of god michael you're not an anime character

you haven't seen shit until a woman takes a picture of her stillborn baby and uses that as her profile pic!

D:

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    seriously every time she made a status post it was like yup that sure is your dead baby's dead face

holy shit

no way

there's just no way

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I was a wax candle in the shape of an army man and a ginger bread cookie in the shape of a dinosaur re-enacting Muldoon's final scene in the classic film Jurassic part for a while.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just use my drunk face aka my johnny knoxville face

Tasteticle on