As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, whoever at Canonical came up with this "systray whitelist" nonsense needs to be smacked firmly upside the head. This is almost annoying enough to make me want to reinstall Arch.

Daedalus on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I remembered being annoyed by something like that.

Overall, maybe not the most impressive release ever.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited April 2011
    Seeks wrote: »
    Yeah, I remembered being annoyed by something like that.

Overall, maybe not the most impressive release ever.

Well, they're trying out a new UI, there's bound to be some bumps, even once you factor out the people who are going to reject any UI change whatsoever.

I'm just pissed off about the whole systray -> notification API change in general: the whole thing seems needless and stupid. The new API is not sufficiently better to demand that every application change to it. Some older applications aren't going to change to it in any case. Some older system-tray applications now don't show the new notification tray stuff, so I can't just ditch Unity in favor of my old system of openbox+stalonetray, because some stuff just plain won't show up now. And now Unity doesn't show any old system-tray stuff unless it's been specifically blessed by Canonical. And Dropbox and Ksplice aren't on the whitelist. Argh.

I figured out how to disable the whitelist but the whole situation is aggrivating. Stop fucking around with APIs that work.

Daedalus on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Daedalus wrote: »
    This is almost annoying enough to make me want to reinstall Arch.
    You shouldn't have switched in the first place.

<3 Arch.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How would I go about troubleshooting a system freeze in Ubuntu (10.04ish) ?

Basically I use my linux box partially for file storage, I normally run it 24/7 and I have had it freeze up on me once or twice when transfering a large amount of data (200+ gigs) across gigabit ethernet using a samba setup. The transfer will just freeze or disconnect from the windows side, and going to the linux box shows the desktop is unresponsive but the mouse still works.

The only way I have found to get out of it is a hard reboot. I took a cursory look at the logs but I am not sure specifically which one I should be checking for events in the freezeup timeframe.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
    edited April 2011
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    This is almost annoying enough to make me want to reinstall Arch.
    You shouldn't have switched in the first place.

<3 Arch.

It's a nice distro, I liked it until some silly driver issue made me switch. But holy hell it's a pain to install.

Daedalus on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I am checking out Ubuntu 11 and cant for the life of me figure out where my chrome browsers are going when I minimize them. With the default firefox, it was just the icon to reopen. With chrome when I hit the icon it opens a new window. I know it isn't just closing them, as youtube videos continue after I do it so.... yeah

Foolish Chaos on
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, something broke after updating to Natty. I'm running the ondemand governor, but now my frequencies are constantly jumping up to the max frequency even while there's nothing happening. For example:
    cpufreq stats: 2.20 GHz:18,32%, 2.20 GHz:1,21%, 1.60 GHz:0,98%, 1.20 GHz:1,61%, 800 MHz:77,87%

2.20 GHz time percentage used to be way lower. As a result, my average running temperature went from ~48-ish C to 70-ish C. Not amused :( I'm guessing it's probably a kernel issue?

I got used to Unity really quickly. Really digging the global menu. Just wish the laptop wasn't so hot under my palms while I'm typing. :(

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok this is annoying me: how do I stop sshd from freaking out about options it doesn't recognize in the configuration files?

I usually run the HPN patches, which for every upgrade need to be reapplied, but as a result of putting NoneEnabled=yes in the file, everytime vanilla SSH tries to load it stops and quits because it doesn't recognize that option.

electricitylikesme on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dumb question: I'd like xscreensaver to display the time. How do I make this happen?

EDIT: It also should be noted that about 85% of the screensavers xscreensaver is supposed to come with are "not installed" in this version of crunchbang for some reason.

august on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm really liking Natty Narwhal at the moment, though it is taking some getting used to.

[strike]One thing I wan't to do is move the global menu to the right side of the screen, so I'm not bringing it up every time I try to go back a page.

Couldn't find a solution on google, anyone know how to do that?[/strike]

Chucked it up in the top corner, which is good enough.

101 on
    edited April 2011
    Hey, with this new Unity thing, I'm fine with the application menu being on top, Mac-style, but does anyone know how to keep it from auto-hiding? I'd like the menu to actually, y'know, be there the whole time.

edit: also, Byobu is really awesome and should be enabled by default all the time.

Daedalus on
    edited April 2011
    If you have CompizConfig, go to Desktop->Ubuntu Unity plugin & select when you want it to hide (if at all)

101 on
    edited April 2011
    101 wrote: »
    If you have CompizConfig, go to Desktop->Ubuntu Unity plugin & select when you want it to hide (if at all)

No, that controls the sidebar. I'm talking about the menu at the top, you know, "File Edit View ... Help" and such. The top bar only shows the program name until you mouseover it, then it shows the menus. I feel that this is counterintuitive and kinda stupid, and want it to show menus at all times.

Daedalus on
    edited April 2011
    oh right. Not a clue in that case.

e: well this is annoying, super+d no longer works

101 on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unity is pretty nice but yah the complaints being made here are totally legitimate and annoying. I also looked at Kubuntu 11.04 for a couple of minutes and it looked really good, almost regretting my switch to Pardus, almost.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone know what effect an Ubuntu upgrade (Netbook 10.10 to 11.04) would have on custom menu entries? I'm going to update an old netbook sometime today and it has a ton of painstakingly created menu entries because the menu editor (and everything else about the netbook edition) was such crap.

Dritz on
    edited May 2011
    I believe that for 10.04 they decided that the old Netbook interface was bullshit so they replaced it with Unity and pretended it never happened.

Daedalus on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm also impressed with where KDE as per Kubuntu has gone. It's still heavyweight but I like it a lot more than old KDE.

On the other end of the spectrum I'm quite impressed with Xfce now. In particular, xfce4-terminal is the only terminal that does true transparency inside a virtual machine. Neither gnome-terminal nor Konsole will do that, that I have been able to figure out

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    101 wrote: »
    oh right. Not a clue in that case.

e: well this is annoying, super+d no longer works

Works fine here.
    Hey, with this new Unity thing, I'm fine with the application menu being on top, Mac-style, but does anyone know how to keep it from auto-hiding? I'd like the menu to actually, y'know, be there the whole time.

edit: also, Byobu is really awesome and should be enabled by default all the time.

I'm going to go with 'not possible right now', as per http://askubuntu.com/questions/25785/can-auto-hide-for-the-application-menu-be-turned-off-in-unity

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dang, I got a new laptop. It is currently my most powerful machine and I'm torn. It has Windows 7 on it and that's great, I guess. But man, I love me some Linux. This thing has a dedicated graphics card, though, and I can actually play some damn games on it and I've only had pools of tears trying that in the past on Linux.

Also dualbooting is against everything I want in a system, but goddammit.. I might still do it.

It's a goddamn pickle.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Visti wrote: »
    Dang, I got a new laptop. It is currently my most powerful machine and I'm torn. It has Windows 7 on it and that's great, I guess. But man, I love me some Linux. This thing has a dedicated graphics card, though, and I can actually play some damn games on it and I've only had pools of tears trying that in the past on Linux.

Also dualbooting is against everything I want in a system, but goddammit.. I might still do it.

It's a goddamn pickle.

Dual-boot! Unless you're short on hard disk space, there's no reason not to.

Daedalus on
    edited May 2011
    Yah even the big distros take up almost nothing on a harddrive. A root partition (minus /home) usually doesn't go above 8GB. Keep your data on a separate drive sharable between Windows and Linux and you won't have problem.

Plus there is always virtualbox. Depending on your distro you wouldn't even have to dedicate too many resources to a VM. The only thing that sucks is that the new hotness (Gnome3 and Unity) don't play well with Virtualbox. They might be better on proprietary virtualization systems though.

Dritz on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am ropable (and now I am double ropable because Chrome doesn't think 'ropable' is a word. FFS.).

I bought a new 1TB external hard drive last week. Plugged it in, moved a bunch of old files off my main disks onto it and went to work, and then stayed at the female's house over the weekend.

On Sunday, my brother stuffed around with the power cables so he could play his PS3 on my TV and in doing so displaced the hdd's power cable. Whether it caused arcing or shorting or just interrupted a write at an important moment I don't know but I can't read the damn thing any more.

Here's the relevant information:

It's formatted as ext4 and when I plug it in I see the following:
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439779.956039] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.089178] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0411, idProduct=01ba
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.089184] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.089188] usb 1-2: Product: USB-SATA Bridge
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.089191] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: BUFFALO
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.089194] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 00000004E0F2DAB
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.089338] usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.091834] scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.093491] usb-storage: device found at 9
    May  2 22:44:25 nihil kernel: [439780.093495] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.092166] usb-storage: device scan complete
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.092642] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     BUFFALO  External HDD     0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 3
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.094227] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi genericsg5 type 0
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.097878] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.098253] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] 0 512-byte logical blocks: (0 B/0 B)
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.099137] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.099143] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 3b 00 00 00
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.099146] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.101503] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.103008] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
    May  2 22:44:30 nihil kernel: [439785.103035] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk

I wanted to try and read the partition table with fdisk but that results in:
    root@nihil:~# fdisk /dev/sdd

Unable to read /dev/sdd

fsck looks like it was attempted in an automated way earlier on in the piece but it died:
    May  2 22:27:03 nihil kernel: [438738.154273] EXT4-fs error (device sdd1): ext4_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
    May  2 22:27:03 nihil kernel: [438738.154317] EXT4-fs (sdd1): Remounting filesystem read-only
    May  2 22:27:14 nihil kernel: [438749.123816] EXT4-fs error (device sdd1): ext4_put_super: Couldn't clean up the journal

Now though, the partition is refusing to show up and only the disk is visible when I plug in the device.

Am I proper fucked? Is there any way I can recover the data? Am I overlooking anything obvious?

EDIT:

sfdisk -s /dev/sdd is returning 0.

Which is unexpected to say the least.
    sfdisk -l /dev/sdd

Disk /dev/sdd: 0 cylinders, 255 heads, 62 sectors/track
    read: Invalid argument

sfdisk: read error on /dev/sdd - cannot read sector 0
     /dev/sdd: unrecognized partition table type
    No partitions found

Apothe0sis on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, Natty finally fixed the trackpad issues my netbook was having. This makes me very happy as now the damn thing is usable again.

No more super sensitive tap to click that I can't turn off!

I really prefer Crunchbang but after spending over a day on it trying to get it to recognize the touchpad right this is the next best thing.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How do I have my ubuntu media server auto power off every night?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How do I have my ubuntu media server auto power off every night?

crontab -e

as example;
    <minutes> <hours> <day> <month> <dayofweek> <command>
    30 0 * * * shutdown -hP now

Would cause your computer to turn off every night at 12:30 AM

Also: It seems you can also do
    @daily shutdown -hP now

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited May 2011
    Cool, I'll give that a try.

ooh, looks like there is even an @midnight

edit: @daily=@midnight I feel dumb

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Oh, make sure you run crontab -e as root, else you get a bullshit version that doesn't work.

elliotw2 on
    edited May 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Oh, make sure you run crontab -e as root, else you get a bullshit version that doesn't work.

so just "sudo crontab -e" ?

sorry I'm noobtastic

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited May 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »

so just "sudo crontab -e" ?

sorry I'm noobtastic

Yeah, type that in, and it'll open vim correctly on the file

After it comes up, scroll down underneath the examples and whatever, and push "I"(eye). Then you just type in the bit I gave you, or whatever other commands and times you want. Once you finish, push Escape, then ":" and type "wq". Then it should be set correctly and go into effect right away.

elliotw2 on
    edited May 2011
    Ok so I was opening and editing it correctly.

Looks like I just needed to do /sbin/shutdown to get it to work

Thanks for the help

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hm

it's been a while since I've had to fix my X configuration file

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I may be installing some flavor of linux on my sister's laptop before too long. It's a bit old, ~1.6ghz with about 512mb of ram.

Is Xubuntu any good, or is it some sort of weird, neglected off-shoot? I'm also considering Crunchbang, but I'm not sure if that's quite as noob friendly.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Complete Linux noob here, just put Ubuntu 11.04 on my netbook. I'm trying to install Chrome, but keep getting an error: "Dependency is not satisfiable: libcurl3". Any insight on what to do here? I've googled around and it seems like other people are having the problem too, but I've yet to see a solution. Thanks!

Pipe Dreamer on
    edited May 2011
    Complete Linux noob here, just put Ubuntu 11.04 on my netbook. I'm trying to install Chrome, but keep getting an error: "Dependency is not satisfiable: libcurl3". Any insight on what to do here? I've googled around and it seems like other people are having the problem too, but I've yet to see a solution. Thanks!

Does installing libcurl3 work? (Not being snarky, I'm wondering if the repository got screwed up.) In a terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install libcurl3

Daedalus on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Does installing libcurl3 work? (Not being snarky, I'm wondering if the repository got screwed up.) In a terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install libcurl3
    This is what you need to do. :^:

For some reason apt's refusing to go get libcurl3 (which I thought it'd done in the past) on it's own, so you just need to install it first, then you can install the Chrome *.deb.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Madpanda wrote: »
    How would I go about troubleshooting a system freeze in Ubuntu (10.04ish) ?

Basically I use my linux box partially for file storage, I normally run it 24/7 and I have had it freeze up on me once or twice when transfering a large amount of data (200+ gigs) across gigabit ethernet using a samba setup. The transfer will just freeze or disconnect from the windows side, and going to the linux box shows the desktop is unresponsive but the mouse still works.

The only way I have found to get out of it is a hard reboot. I took a cursory look at the logs but I am not sure specifically which one I should be checking for events in the freezeup timeframe.

Wild guess here, but do you have lfs enabled in the smbmount? Turned on verbose logging?

Are you able to ping or telnet to the linux box? Could be the terminal associated with the process is deadlocked and not the whole machine.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm having trouble getting my ATI catalyst dual-head setup on my arch install. Whenever I drag my cursor to the other screen, it transforms into a patch of static-ish box. Also I can't drag windows from one screen to the other. It always stops at the border.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

P.S. I'm using Gnome.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What card, what drivers, are you configuring with amdcccle?

zeeny on