As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, this is a great critique of Unity, for anyone interested:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ubuntu-11.04-natty-narwhal,2943-10.html

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »

I agree about the scrollbars.

I do like the mac-style universal menu, so if they implemented it correctly, I'd like it, but it should be user-configurable. And implemented correctly.

I mean in the end I think they're going with my complaint: It's not very configurable. You should be able to trivially configure it to something close to the original gnome interface, if you like, or into something like windows or XFCE. Configurability is what is really glaringly absent from Unity.

At this point I've gotten so comfortable with Xubuntu that I don't think I'd switch back even if they did fix Unity. At least not for a while.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I agree about the scrollbars.

I do like the mac-style universal menu, so if they implemented it correctly, I'd like it, but it should be user-configurable. And implemented correctly.

I mean in the end I think they're going with my complaint: It's not very configurable. You should be able to trivially configure it to something close to the original gnome interface, if you like, or into something like windows or XFCE. Configurability is what is really glaringly absent from Unity.

At this point I've gotten so comfortable with Xubuntu that I don't think I'd switch back even if they did fix Unity. At least not for a while.

Pretty much this. Unity should be a smooth increment of features that go between Gnome Classic and the Unity interface. Then they could make "setup Unity" the first thing new users get to configure some common major UI options, and I suspect ideally have a "Windows-like" and "Mac-like" presets.

electricitylikesme on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I sort of disagree about their complaint that the top menu exists at all. Fitts Law, etc. Proven usability theory. The Unity implementation is even more usable than the OS X implementation if you have multiple monitors. It's by no means perfect; several applications draw their own menubars and the window buttons jump around and such, but that's not an issue with the basic concept. If anything, I think Canonical haven't taken the idea far enough. When Firefox and Chrome's tabs appear in it when they're maximized, I'll be happy.
    Then they could make "setup Unity" the first thing new users get to configure some common major UI options, and I suspect ideally have a "Windows-like" and "Mac-like" presets.

My gut reaction is, "Absolutely not!" Throwing in lots of options in lieu of actually making software more usable out of the box is common in open source software, but it's also part of the reason so few people use Linux.

Configuration options will inevitably eventually be added for major options, but it's going to be even more of a pain to troubleshoot for new users if they're required to make changes which dramatically change the way the desktop functions. It's better for Canonical to keep Gnome 2 around and focus on making Unity great out of the box than it would be for them to focus on power users.

Yeah, I know KDE used to do the 'pick what os you want the desktop to behave like the first time you log in' thing, but that's part of the reason I was never a huge fan of KDE. It was great once you tweaked everything just right, but there were so many stupid defaults and so many option windows to wade through. Granted, KDE 4 has improved significantly in this regard.

Or maybe it would be better. I don't know. To the usability testing!

Frem on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think making people configure stuff would be a desirable route to take. Just make things work and look good from the start. Having the option to configure stuff should be somewhere in the system settings though. Perhaps have basic Mac/Gnome2esque options in System Settings and have a way to turn on more advanced functionality.

Some basic theme options probably wouldn't be a huge deal on someone's first login. I'm using Pardus and when I first logged in it had a cool tool which quickly got my desktop looking nice.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm giving up on Unity. Not because I don't like how they laid out the UI: the sidebar was clean and useful, the notification panel was pretty good once I disabled the blacklist, the top-menu vs. per-window-menu thing is a debate I don't care too much about; in my mind if I need to go into the menus frequently at all, that's a UI failure, and I didn't even notice the stupid scrollbars at first because Firefox, Eclipse, Terminal, and OLpenOffice don't use them. (And you can disable them separately from the rest of Unity anyway. They're not even really linked to Unity at all, it's just a GTK custom library). No, I thought they had a good thing going there with the UI. Needed a couple more options (I can't put the sidebar on the right side? Why?), but whatever, it's the first release.

No, I'm giving up on it because of the bugs. The notification icons in the panel don't open their menu half the time I try to click on them, and after a couple hours the sidebar stops autohiding and won't hide again ever unless I restart Unity and it's driving me completely batshit. So it's back to xfce I go, since Gnome2 is a dead man walking, and xfce is now basically the same thing but a bit faster.

Hell, looking at xfce, it does the Gnome idea of "give you the options you need and don't clutter it up with bullshit" better than Gnome itself does. Nautilus is a clunky bitch compared to Thunar, and in Gnome-Terminal, do you really need multiple option profiles? Really? When you already have different profiles for different user logins? Ugh.

Anyway.

One thing that's bugging me is that there doesn't seem to be a good way to integrate Dropbox with Thunar. I can kinda-sorta hack it into working but I still don't get the neat icon overlays and context menu goodies and such. Anyone have any tips on making that work, or am I going to be looking up "how to make a Thunar plugin" instead?

Daedalus on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I don't know if this is a common problem, but across a couple of computers I've had now: Why the hell can't I play flash video in fullscreen? This aggravated me so much that I'm now ditching Linux as my main OS. Which really annoys me, because goddamn I love me some Linux.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Visti wrote: »
    So, I don't know if this is a common problem, but across a couple of computers I've had now: Why the hell can't I play flash video in fullscreen? This aggravated me so much that I'm now ditching Linux as my main OS. Which really annoys me, because goddamn I love me some Linux.

Could you be a little more specific? I assume by 'flash video' you mean video on sites like YouTube or Vimeo, not flv files in Totem. Also, when you say you 'can't' watch videos in fullscreen, is the fullscreen button disabled or are they just too choppy? Are you using Chrome, Firefox or something else? Are you using the Adobe flash player, or something else? Which version? For example, for me Firefox can use hardware accelerated rendering, while Chrome can only use software rendering (both using software decoding).

I don't know about non-YouTube sites, but since a few Adobe Flashplayer updates back YouTube has been extremely smooth for me. 1080p fullscreen videos with no dropped frames, and only very moderate load on my CPU. My lappy has a three and a half year old then-midrange nVidia GPU. So, uh, that famous XKCD not really holding true for me. Using 32-bit Natty, Firefox 4, flash player 10.3.xxx.

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, near the end of Maverick the 10.2 flash player update got pushed out, which brought hardware acceleration to Linux as well. My CPU usage dropped significantly, but the player would crash when a YT video would end. I'd be playing a video in another tab while looking at something else, and all of a sudden all the flash ads on the tab I was browsing would crash when the video finished :)

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, how do I get copy-on-write filesystems on Linux? Ideally in a way that's not prone to exploding and destroying all my data (which seems to be a more common problem on Linux then Windows, mysteriously).

I've tried using rsnapshot and related tools and it just doesn't work - I can't iterate over a 100,000's files even without transferring any data in order to keep fairly fine-grained backups.

ZFS seemed to be the ideal implementation of this, but it's very development-level on Linux (no POSIX interface). But that can't be the only one (also not touching btrfs for the same reason).

How do big companies do this type of thing?

electricitylikesme on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They use Solaris. Or a super expensive enterprise grade file system.

Apothe0sis on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tinche wrote: »

Could you be a little more specific? I assume by 'flash video' you mean video on sites like YouTube or Vimeo, not flv files in Totem. Also, when you say you 'can't' watch videos in fullscreen, is the fullscreen button disabled or are they just too choppy? Are you using Chrome, Firefox or something else? Are you using the Adobe flash player, or something else? Which version? For example, for me Firefox can use hardware accelerated rendering, while Chrome can only use software rendering (both using software decoding).

I don't know about non-YouTube sites, but since a few Adobe Flashplayer updates back YouTube has been extremely smooth for me. 1080p fullscreen videos with no dropped frames, and only very moderate load on my CPU. My lappy has a three and a half year old then-midrange nVidia GPU. So, uh, that famous XKCD not really holding true for me. Using 32-bit Natty, Firefox 4, flash player 10.3.xxx.

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, near the end of Maverick the 10.2 flash player update got pushed out, which brought hardware acceleration to Linux as well. My CPU usage dropped significantly, but the player would crash when a YT video would end. I'd be playing a video in another tab while looking at something else, and all of a sudden all the flash ads on the tab I was browsing would crash when the video finished :)

This is across several flavors of Linux, across two laptops. Current one has a Geforce 9200m. Fullscreen Youtube and other flash-based video in all browsers are extremely choppy, but runs fine in small format, even in 1080p. This laptop is a 2,2 Core 2 Duo with 3 gigs of RAM. I tried both Adobe's implementation as well as Gnash. I Windows 7 everything is peaches.. Well, Flash video and work software is peaches. Everything else I wish was Linux.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    You could try the Flash-Aid extension I posted above, it contains a tweak for fullscreen VDPAU on Nvidia cards.

Zilla360 on
    edited June 2011

This is across several flavors of Linux, across two laptops. Current one has a Geforce 9200m. Fullscreen Youtube and other flash-based video in all browsers are extremely choppy, but runs fine in small format, even in 1080p. This laptop is a 2,2 Core 2 Duo with 3 gigs of RAM. I tried both Adobe's implementation as well as Gnash. I Windows 7 everything is peaches.. Well, Flash video and work software is peaches. Everything else I wish was Linux.

Hm, I'm on a Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, 2 gigs of RAM, Quadro 320M. Don't really know what to suggest except to try my setup before giving up completely (so, 32-bit Ubuntu, Nvidia proprietary drivers, Firefox 4, Adobe's flash player), and if it's better, investigate further.

Tinche on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What.

Why has Unity/Natty Narwhal decided to make ~ my Desktop?

What the fffff

Apothe0sis on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hahahaha.

No idea. There might be a nautilus setting that changes that.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited July 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What.

What the fffff

Open gconf-editor

Go to apps -> nautilus -> preferences

Check if desktop_is_home_dir is checked.

Failing that, check ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs.

As for why did it get toggled, maybe some things are not for mere mortals to know? ;)

Tinche on
    edited July 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What.

What the fffff

Open gconf-editor

Go to apps -> nautilus -> preferences

Check if desktop_is_home_dir is checked.

Failing that, check ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs.

As for why did it get toggled, maybe some things are not for mere mortals to know? ;)

Thanks.

I did so after searching around shortly after I made the post.

The thing that really annoyed me is that it was changed out of the blue during an update.

Apothe0sis on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, my main OS is Win7x64, and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I want to try out a few Distros without ruining my Ubuntu server.

What VM do you guys recommend for Win7 that is convenient for trying out Linux distros?

I'm using Virtual Box, but the big weakness is the complete inability to copy a machine image to use as a template.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    templewulf wrote: »
    So, my main OS is Win7x64, and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I want to try out a few Distros without ruining my Ubuntu server.

What VM do you guys recommend for Win7 that is convenient for trying out Linux distros?

I'm using Virtual Box, but the big weakness is the complete inability to copy a machine image to use as a template.

It can do that, it's just hidden. Export the VM, and then import it again and it'll make a copy of everything.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    So, after getting used to Unity for a while, I gotta say... I don't hate it. I'm not sure if I like it quite as much as a customized XFCE/Openbox, but I'd say that it's actually pretty good. It's also a great way to introduce people to Linux, because it's pretty. Going from a bloated, waiting-five-minutes-just-to-boot XP install to a fast-booting, highly-responsive Unity desktop gives older(ish) computers a whole new life.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that I can't use it more. The compositing negatively influences performance in a few things that I need to use very often, and the side-panel-thing can fuck with fullscreen Wine apps.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Last time I tried Ubuntu 11.04, I had to reinstall after it refused to let me log in.

Now there's a big ol' red caution sign up in my taskbar telling me to update, so I figure maybe I should try again. What's 11.04 like now?

edited July 2011
    Pretty much the same, I guess? I tried the alpha on a laptop, didn't much care for it there (too buggy). I installed the final release on my main machine a bit after it came out, and haven't bothered removing it yet. Everything seems to work as intended, though I don't use Unity too often. I usually stick with Openbox.

The main thing keeping me from switching away again is the fact that games in Wine (1.2.x) are actually working now, as opposed to on every other distro where they only kinda sorta half-work at best. There are exceptions here and there where certain games worked better than others, but everything's groovy on this install.

Though I'm not sure I would bother attempting Unity on integrated graphics... I'm pretty sure that was the problem I was running into on my laptop.

Edit: I should probably mention that I didn't 'update' from Ubuntu 10.10, but rather did a fresh install from something else. My last stable distro was.... actually, I can't remember. Probably #! or Mint.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited July 2011
    Humble Bundle 3 is out. Cross-platform, no DRM, yadda yadda.

Normally I'd be more excited, except I can only get 2/5 of them to work in linux. I hear other people are having problems too.

So uh... name your own price for Crayon Physics and VVVVVV.

Edit:

Installed proprietary drivers, so now it's 4/5. Excellent. Unfortunately, Unity doesn't want to perform very well with proprietary drivers, but fuck it. That's why god invented Openbox.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:

This is so not a surprise. A little surprised that he didn't go KDE, but that's gotten so damn bloated that it slows shit down.

I'm part of the "official" Open Source Desktop group, and the emails from years ago from Linus about his opinion of GNOME are works of flaming art.

I've worked a ton with Window Managers, and have come to the realization that you are looking for one that "sucks least" for your application. GNOME and KDE have become quite bloated, and since they both really like to use compiz, it makes remote viewing troublesome.

So, I'm on XFCE and Xubuntu for all my installs. quick, gets out of your way, sane defaults and very configurable.

And those are the two main qualities you look for with any WM:
    * Sane Defaults - does it look like something I can use when I first start it
    * Highly Configurable - If I want to change something, like mouse focus style, I should.

GNOME was great at the first boot. Really sane defaults. It sucks for configurability, as the Gnome devs decided that choice was confusing to the end user so they just don't give you it.

KDE has improved much in the way of sane defaults, to the point where I'd say that it's in line with Gnome. However, the configurability is light years ahead of Gnome.

They both, however are slow and get in the way. XFCE for me. Hell sometimes I'll even go to FVWM. (There's an extremely light KDE window manager that's like 3/4 done, I can find you the src if you're into Xlib programming....)

I haven't played with unity, so I can't comment, but from what I'm reading, I should stay away for another revision or two.

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    I actually really like Gnome 3. I don't know whether I like it more than Gnome 2, but its good enough that I'm happy to use it day to day to see if it grows on me more. I can't really see why Ubuntu had to break off and create Unity, its very similar to Gnome 3 but seems buggier and slower.

edited August 2011
    See, I had a bit of a different experience. Gnome 3's very polished, but the way it handles task management just annoys me. Unity's quite polished as well (from what I've used), though less so than Gnome 3... however, it's got enough middle ground between 'new fancy shit' and 'old, useful shit' that it's actually quite usable for me.

That's not to say that I haven't gone back to more traditional DEs/WMs anyway, but if I had to choose between Unity or Gnome 3, Gnome 3 just doesn't make enough concessions to fit into the way a DE works for me.

Incidentally, the HIB #3 still has a couple of days left. They've gone and added Atom Zombie Smasher and Steel Storm: Burning Retribution to the mix.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    I've pretty much switched to Linux 24/7 now. I've been getting BSOD's in Win XP whenever I watch a flash video, so Windows is pretty much something I boot into entirely for games.

Zilla360 wrote:
    I've pretty much switched to Linux 24/7 now. I've been getting BSOD's in Win XP whenever I watch a flash video, so Windows is pretty much something I boot into entirely for games.

While I approve of this development this is amusingly backward.

Well, I'm one of those weirdo's that's never really had a problem with flash in Linux...so YMMV, and does. :)
    I could just reformat and re-install windows, but I really can't be bothered, it would eat up an entire weekend.

• KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    I was trying to decide on a new non Debian based Linux distro to try on my laptop when I found this

http://linux.com/
    Linux Foundation infrastructure including LinuxFoundation.org, Linux.com, and their subdomains are down for maintenance due to a security breach that was discovered on September 8, 2011. The Linux Foundation made this decision in the interest of extreme caution and security best practices. We believe this breach was connected to the intrusion on kernel.org.

We are in the process of restoring services in a secure manner as quickly as possible. As with any intrusion and as a matter of caution, you should consider the passwords and SSH keys that you have used on these sites compromised. If you have reused these passwords on other sites, please change them immediately. We are currently auditing all systems and will update this statement when we have more information.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are taking this matter seriously and appreciate your patience. The Linux Foundation infrastructure houses a variety of services and programs including Linux.com, Open Printing, Linux Mark, Linux Foundation events and others, but does not include the Linux kernel or its code repositories.

Please contact us at info@linuxfoundation.org with questions about this matter.

The Linux Foundation

So that's off-putting. Not to me personally as I have never had a login or anything but disturbing non the less. Any idea on my original query? I was thinking Fedora or Open Suse.

2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    How comfortable are you with Linux? Arch Linux is pretty awesome if you don't mind putting the time in, and setting the box up from the ground up. Otherwise, if you're wanting to avoid Debian-based, I'd suggest Fedora.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Why do you want to move away from debian based?

The best way to choose distros is the awesomeness of the the logo, which means:

openSUSE
    Arch
    Debian

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Is it possible to make Unity 2D behave like proper linux?

Mouse copy is important! Paste should use that for everything, not just middle click.

I am hating you Unity.

The Copy/Paste bizarre functionality is an artifact of X11, not Ubuntu, Unity, etc. It's complicated by GNOME and KDE, and sometimes the window manager, and you generally end up with 3 or 4 different "clipboards". It's stupid, and one of the largest complaints about X11 systems.

edited September 2011
    How comfortable are you with Linux? Arch Linux is pretty awesome if you don't mind putting the time in, and setting the box up from the ground up. Otherwise, if you're wanting to avoid Debian-based, I'd suggest Fedora.

I'm fairly comfortable with Linux. I started playing with Ubuntu three of four years ago. I was constantly breaking my X-server trying to do things or get my TV which was a poor PC monitor to play nice. It was a good thinking break X all the time, taught me how to use and navigate command line or terminal whatever to fix things and such. I have tried thing like Puppy and Sidux and other things before. Network hardware with NDiswrapper and such like is also something I have had alot of fun with (no, not really alot oh teh time I hated that stuff, but if I had an *.conf or something it was ususally okay)
    zeeny wrote:
    Only reason is that I'm really comfortable with Ubuntu and all it's variants (Mint, Xubuntu etc) that I don't feel like I'm learning much or testing my abilities to figure things out. Also I currently have at least two of my computers running Ubuntu anyway. I always see *.rpm files along with the *.debs when ever I go looking for software that is not in the channels of aptitude or whatever
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    The best way to choose distros is the awesomeness of the the logo, which means:

openSUSE
    Arch
    Debian

Chameloen guy was on the top of my list of thing to try

I'm kind of nostalgic for the days a few years ago when I had too spend a few evenings and lots of googling and tweaking just to get something to work.

elliotw2 suggested Chakra, which I downloaded but my iso image must be busted as I have made two drink coaster out of failed burned CDs

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    edited September 2011
    Edit: Sorry double post. Been getting alot of forum errors 502 and 504

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Kaimaka wrote:
    zeeny wrote:
    Only reason is that I'm really comfortable with Ubuntu and all it's variants (Mint, Xubuntu etc) that I don't feel like I'm learning much or testing my abilities to figure things out. Also I currently have at least two of my computers running Ubuntu anyway. I always see *.rpm files along with the *.debs when ever I go looking for software that is not in the channels of aptitude or whatever

Well, I'm not sure I see a merit in what you are looking to do. Getting familiar with pacman, yum, apt-get and slackpkg(or whatever it is that Slackware uses nowadays) brings absolutely nothing to your linux knowledge as in all those cases it's a matter of reading a man page for 5 minutes. If you are looking for ways to improve what you know about the os, just get more familiar with any shell, it will return a significantly bigger benefit than switching from ubuntu to fedora. Then again, I never understood distro hopping anyway.

Edit: And even if you insist to try different flavors, just run them in a VM first.

zeeny on
    edited September 2011
    Fair enough, there probably (almost definitely) is no merit if what I want to do. It is all on a whim. I am going to do it all the same. I could try the different distros in a virtual machine but as I'm going to be doing this on a computer with a completely blank slate hdd I don't see the need to not just try the distro straight off without setting up a whole other OS I will not keep long just to Virtual Machine it.

Previous post makes a really valid point. I really should try and learn more about one of the shells. I have done a quick bit of preliminary research on shells. I'm wondering what sorts of things I should try to do within one ore play around with to go about learning more about a shell. Outside of something being broken and trying to fix it or get something done faster or easier than with a GUI I don't really know how to go about just using the shell to get things done and those get more familiar with one. Any ideas?

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif