As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    What.

Why has Unity/Natty Narwhal decided to make ~ my Desktop?

What the fffff

well, your home directory is kindof the old-school standard of where you start looking at stuff. One of the things that drives me nuts about Ubuntu (and all I use these days is ubuntu variants) is the needless changing of old-school standards. The release that they changed initrd's to be cpio's instead of loopback filesystems was when i really started being critical of Ubuntu's "new" ideas for linux.

Kaimaka wrote:
    Previous post makes a really valid point. I really should try and learn more about one of the shells. I have done a quick bit of preliminary research on shells. I'm wondering what sorts of things I should try to do within one ore play around with to go about learning more about a shell. Outside of something being broken and trying to fix it or get something done faster or easier than with a GUI I don't really know how to go about just using the shell to get things done and those get more familiar with one. Any ideas?

use bash. get the trout book from o'reilly's. profit.

as for "how do i learn", well... you just gotta force yourself. find cool shit to do on the command line... you'll quickly find how limiting GUI's can be as opposed o a programmable shell.

• SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    There is also this:

https://twitter.com/#!/climagic

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I have two laptops with Crunchbang, a linksys router and an ethernet cable. What's the best way for me to transfer my music collection from one to the other?

edited September 2011
    double post.

august on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    august wrote:
    I have two laptops with Crunchbang, a linksys router and an ethernet cable. What's the best way for me to transfer my music collection from one to the other?

Make an NFS share on the local network. Should take you about 60-90 seconds to set up and another 60 seconds to set up access.

zeeny on
    Firefox 6.0.2 is one giant memory leak. You can not be using 2.9GB for 14 tabs of the same platform. You just can't.
    The day another browser supports at least half of the privacy add ons firefox does is the day I jump ship, seriously.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Go to FF7?
    I've got 20 or so tabs open all day every day and I hardly ever see it go over a GB.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I'm @ 1.04GB with Aurora after about 5 minutes running, I have no clue how do you "rarely" see it over a GB.

So guys, I may be getting a new video card before too long.

What's the the word on which is better for linux... Nvidia or ATI? I'm leery of ATI because the card I've got now crashes my system with anything of higher graphical fidelity than that of Fallout 3 / New Vegas. I've also got this weird issue where, once I install proprietary 3D drivers, 2D SDL performance on linux just fucking nosedives to the point of being unplayable. So in essence, I have to choose between the F/OSS drivers with shit 3D acceleration, or proper 3D but no SDL. Also, for whatever reason Unity also suffers with proprietary drivers, though that's not a huge issue I guess.

Truthfully, I don't know anything about Nvidia's linux track record. I can't even remember if I've ever owned an Nvidia card. I know there's that Nouvea (sp?) thing going on, but I have no idea if it's any good.

Any advice? Anecdotes? Etc.?

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    nVidia always, if for no other reason than otherwise you can't say you have Gatchaman in your computer.

The nVidia's support has always been pretty good on the Linux, I would go with that. I have also heard nothing but bad stories about The ATIs on The linux.

Apothe0sis on
    Hmmm... alright, coolness. I think I may go that direction then.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Oneiric Ocelot out.

Not updating yet. Interesting.

Apothe0sis wrote:
    nVidia always, if for no other reason than otherwise you can't say you have Gatchaman in your computer.

The nVidia's support has always been pretty good on the Linux, I would go with that. I have also heard nothing but bad stories about The ATIs on The linux.

I run ATI triple display(2 dvi + display port) without any issues at all. The horror stories were 10 years ago with the 200m igp etc.

I didn't have a hell of a lot of problems with mine, but I do have to say that so far, Nvidia's been a smoother experience. If nothing else, I can have both 3d acceleration and proper SDL performance, now.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    So the new Unity 2D has a number of tweaks that improve Natty Narwhal's version.

The window control buttons are back in the right place. The infobar thing works better too.

edited October 2011
    Stupid Ubuntu live/install CDs y u no install properly on my netbook?

The installer screen and general desktop environment show up, and then it all goes black. The wrinkle may be that the netbook screen is broken and I am trying to do it all on a secondary screen - but I suspect this is not the issue as the pointer is still visible on the second screen.

The alternate installer isn't giving me any different results, though I expect this is an issue with the methods I am attempting. Maybe this time it will work...

EDIT: Alternative + UNetBootIn is the solution, as opposed to regular iso and Startup Disk Creator

A winrar is me.

Apothe0sis on
    Gotta say, while I get the Unity hate, I'm actually kind of liking it now. It's sort of... if you just lay back and accept it, it's okay. And weirdly, Unity 2D almost looks better than 3D.

Granted, I make sure to install a ton of other DEs... just in case.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    Shitdamnit, why is there nothing which obviously and immediately works as a DLNA/UPnP player in ubuntu?

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I upgraded from Natty to Oneiric a few days ago. For some reason it wiped out Eclipse PDT, but Eclipse itself was fine.t

What's really killing me is that now I can't get youtube (or any flash video) to work. Chrome/Firefox say I need the plugin, and I follow the link, and I install Flash 10 though the Ubuntu Software Center using the link from the Adobe site, and it just

doesn't

work

And either no one else is having this problem, or it's just impossible to search for anything related to youtube without getting youtube videos as results.

Edit: Oh, I needed the nsplugins 64 bit wrapper. Seems to work now.

Delzhand on
    Giving Gnome 3 another shot. My biggest complaint was the lack of notification icons, and uh... apparently they're just at the bottom. Whoops.

I'm also considering revamping the OP a bit, maybe starting a wiki or something. What are some popular sites for that kind of thing?

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I did a clean install of 11.10 on my work laptop - everything works great except wireless, where it's dreadfully slow. I thought it was my 'net connection at first and tried speedtest.net - normally my home connection gets a download speed around 15-17mbps, and it was measuring in the ~20kbps range.

Yes, 20kbps.

Checked on my desktop (Win7) and everything was fine. Looked online and learned that apparently a number of people are having problems. To fix/workaround they've been [insert unintelligible linux stuff here] and I haven't been motivated to mess with it yet.

• baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote:
    I did a clean install of 11.10 on my work laptop - everything works great except wireless, where it's dreadfully slow. I thought it was my 'net connection at first and tried speedtest.net - normally my home connection gets a download speed around 15-17mbps, and it was measuring in the ~20kbps range.

Yes, 20kbps.

Checked on my desktop (Win7) and everything was fine. Looked online and learned that apparently a number of people are having problems. To fix/workaround they've been [insert unintelligible linux stuff here] and I haven't been motivated to mess with it yet.

Yeah, I had to do that on my laptop as well. You have to go pull down some source, build the correct module for your wireless adapter, then patch it into your kernel. It's been a known bug in some models since 11.04 (?) and it's quite annoying that it hasn't been automated yet...

I've started using 11.10 on machine, and I'd like to use Banshee for all my music stuff, but good god the ui for podcasts is unwieldy. Why does it instst on using huge icons and showing the description for every single episode? It makes going back into the archives of something like the Giant Bombcast a nightmare. Am I missing some way to simplify this? Maybe I'll just revert back to Rhythmbox.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    oh fuck me I broke sudo

edit: oh well, fixed it

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow Unity on hardware that actually supports it is actually kind of neat. It's to bad that older hardware is getting kind of left behind though.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited October 2011
    I had to switch to Rhythmbox from Banshee because plugging my goddamn ipod in while Banshee was running destroyed my Podcast playlist. I was prepared to accept that but then adding Podcasts to the ipod resulted in a number of bugs from invisible files to some files being selectable but unplayable.

I'm vaguely amazed this piece of software is the de-facto itunes replacement for most mainstreams Linux distros.

august on
    Yeah, I'm not quite sure how it got there. I can't really see what it does better than anything else. I was never blown away by Rhythmbox, but it seemed to do the job.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    Seeks wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not quite sure how it got there. I can't really see what it does better than anything else. I was never blown away by Rhythmbox, but it seemed to do the job.

If I wanted to be THAT GUY I could hypothesize it has something to with Canonical getting referral money from Banshee's Amazon mp3 sales, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Banshee is really pretty and fully featured. It just breaks my ipod! You know? That is not something it should do if Canonical want more mainstream users.

edited November 2011
    Rhytmbox crashes constantly. Sometimes four times in as many minutes.

I really love Unity (I don't do any serious work on computers) and Ubuntu's current aesthetic but I'm thinking about moving to Mint Debain.

august on
    I was beginning to get on board with the whole Unity thing, but then I installed the Compiz Configuration editor thing. Turns out, running that application will, uh, completely goddamn trash Unity 3D. You can fix it, but it's a pain. So I went with Gnome 3 for a while, but that has random issues from time to time as well.

Guess it's back to good ol' Openbox, XFCE and KDE I guess. No complaints here, really. I guess I could use Unity 2D, which is surprisingly good looking and functional, but... meh.

Re: Music players, I'd recommend Clementine or Exaile if you're in the mood for programs similar to Rhythmbox/Banshee. DeadBeef is also pretty decent.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    I would like to be rid of the Recycle bin in my task bar popuppy dock thing.

In fact, the recycle bin in general is pretty whack.

I have never used it in my ever.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This KDE 3.5 fork is great, I've never really liked the direction KDE 4 went in.

NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
    To each is own but I never much understood the backlash against KDE 4. Ok maybe 4.0 because that was pretty terrible. It's all pretty tame compared to the Unity and Gnome 3 stuff going on.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Seeks wrote:
    Gotta say, while I get the Unity hate, I'm actually kind of liking it now. It's sort of... if you just lay back and accept it, it's okay. And weirdly, Unity 2D almost looks better than 3D.

Granted, I make sure to install a ton of other DEs... just in case.

I've been using Unity at my job for a little more then a month now, it's not terrible but it still needs a lot of work. I don't know how much it got improved in 11.10, but there are a lot of rough edges in 11.04, especially with the multi monitor support.

I also really dislike their decision to make the launcher bar disappear when you maximize a window.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    So, anyone else here using Desura? I've been using it for a little bit, and I have to say it's pretty neat. Think Steam, but for both Windows and Linux, and focused on indie games.

desurawindow0.png

As you can see, a lot of the HIB games had redeemable keys.

To use it, you'll need to sign up and join the group at http://www.desura.com/blog, since they're still working a lot of the kinks out.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    Yah it's cool. The only PC games I get (and can run) are the humble bundle ones so it is great to have around. I don't think it is all that exclusive if anyone is worried about waiting forever to get in on it. Took a day or two for me to get approved.

Thanks for the Desura heads up. I have a mess of Humble Bundle games. Although Frozen Synapse is making it painfully obvious that I have to chose either the ability to screw around with Gnome Shell or the ability to run 3d games in Linux.

Also, I think it's public now? I just went to the Desura site and downloaded the client. Didn't have to wait for anything.

edited November 2011
    Yeah, but try signing in.

Or, I dunno. Maybe they did go fully public. I only just downloaded this a few weeks ago.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    I can log in and run games.

Although trying to install Cave Story crashes it. And the resolution gets stuck after exiting Braid.

But still it's a good start.

Is it just me or is GMOME Shell totally batshit loco?

Coming to it from a causal perspective and comparing it Unity there's a huge amount of wasted horizontal space up top. Also my weather-indicator is hidden in a secret toolbar at the bottom of the screen for some reason. It's not allowed up top with all the other super important icons like the Accessibility Assistance menu which is apparently there just in case I go blind or deaf.

It's pretty I guess, and interesting. But seems like it was designed by very interesting crazy people.

Curious as to how Mint's custom Gnome 3 turns out. And if they bring it to their Debian release, because I like the idea of a rolling distro.