As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: Dice says PC patch on June 30th. I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »
    Man, the PA team was awful again tonight.

It didn't help that the other team had at least two guys that were mining the MCOMs.

And even though we lost so much, and the other team was being dicks, I managed to double my total number of ace pins tonight to 6.

I bet I would've had a seventh if the EA servers didn't boot me on that last map. Herr Alegis and I were tearing shit up in the T90, and it was some of the most fun I've had in the tank in this game. GG, EA. GG.

You're only upset because you weren't here for my last game, where we never dropped below 75 tickets on offense, won, and I doubled the next guys score. Not to mention that I also got a marksman pin with the MG36, while getting like 30ish rezzes and a million heal points.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, the PA team was awful again tonight.

It didn't help that the other team had at least two guys that were mining the MCOMs.

And even though we lost so much, and the other team was being dicks, I managed to double my total number of ace pins tonight to 6.

I bet I would've had a seventh if the EA servers didn't boot me on that last map. Herr Alegis and I were tearing shit up in the T90, and it was some of the most fun I've had in the tank in this game. GG, EA. GG.

PA was heavily split for a while, but the last couple hours were great. And BTW thedowner's rpg/smg/knife kill combo skills can go right to hell. :P

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It boggles the mind that in the server rankings, Atacama 24/7 is 5th.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd find Atacma a lot more enjoyable if I had competent teammates to control the chopper, so I could go around tank whoring it as is my life's calling.

But no, I have to be the one in the sky. Flying the chopper gets dull after a while of that. There really needs to be a vehicle heavy version of that map, too.

Arrath on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    75% of the time, Atacama goes one of two ways. Either the defenders make a total hash of the first base, the attackers get all the armor and a lot of momentum, and the rest of the map is a sweep; or the defenders turn the first base into a meatgrinder and it ends there.

I find defenders can rarely win at the second base, in the town. Too much shit to hide behind. The one at the bridge, they can sometimes turn it around, but usually only if the attackers funnel themselves into the bridge. I've seen it turned around a couple times at the last base, because it's easy to make it a nightmare, getting into that building. But usually, if the attackers get that far, it's because the defenders are too busy wanking to actually defend anything.

Your mileage may vary, though.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    in my experience on the 360, people playing defense often don't so much defend the objectives as focus on their k/d ratio by watching choke points necessary to reach the objective

now, in a sort of generalized way that accomplishes the goal, sure- fewer living enemies reaching the m-com equals good defense, right?

but i have watched teammates literally just... 'ignore' the guy or two who gets through

to keep clogging the passes with lead and grenades

even after the m-com is armed

they just sit there racking up more kills while the alarm sounds

even though i like the idea of coordinated team play in rush, the paucity of 360 players from PA means that i end up preferring conquest if only because at least then totally oblivious players can sort of still support the general theme of the game mode

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I get tunnel vision real easily and thus fail so hard at conquest. When I play rush defense, though, I try to defend the M-Coms specifically. I wish I knew how many of my deaths occurred while disarming. A large number of them.

When I'm attacking, I kind of do the opposite. Me trying to attack M-Coms is a waste of tickets. I'm better used by trying to keep defenders heads down, blow up their tanks, follow with the main push of attackers. I let other people do the ninja raids.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, how much should I get this game?

I've been enjoying COD :MW (that's the first one) quite a lot lately after the $15 Steam sale. I kinda want to go for another tactical, team-based FPS. I liked the look of ARMA II, but that seems way too far on the side of military sim for me. I get the impression BF:BC2 is a nice middle ground and you guys seem to be enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty bad-to-mediocre at the ol' FPS. I'm a little concerned that this might not be forgiving enough, or that I might just be a drain on life tickets. Is there any hope for me, or perhaps a class people can recommend that might make me valuable?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The thing about BC2 is that people with highest K/Ds are generally not the people doing things helpful to the team, at least in objective maps. You can be terrible at killing people, and still be an enormous asset. The biggest hurdle is unlocking the repair tool, the medkit, and the ammo box. Once you've done that, and started using them, you're more valuable to the team than half those rank 30 snipers with the K/D of 10.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man those were some fun rounds on the Dome. C4'n the blackhawk pad then blowing up a squad before it can take off was the sweet sweet icing on a rather enjoyable night. I have a new found love for using C4 as low range grenades. Those concrete squares on VALPARAISO make perfect C4 lobbing~over obsticals.

Sonork on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I get tunnel vision real easily and thus fail so hard at conquest. When I play rush defense, though, I try to defend the M-Coms specifically. I wish I knew how many of my deaths occurred while disarming. A large number of them.

When I'm attacking, I kind of do the opposite. Me trying to attack M-Coms is a waste of tickets. I'm better used by trying to keep defenders heads down, blow up their tanks, follow with the main push of attackers. I let other people do the ninja raids.

I get tunnel vision pretty easily too, so much so that I once was running around with near-empty gun thinking it as full.

I remember Star Wars: Battlefront had this nice ammo counter that sat in your targeting reticule. I thought that was pretty cool.

Also, does anyone know how skill level is calculated? I've been a sum total of +130 over the past month after going a sum total of -500 over my first 15 levels, and my skills level has not budged at all.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ugh, still 700,000 more points to level 50. With RDR coming soon, I may never make it. At my current SPM it'll take another 35 hours (and that's if I start working on the crappier guns for more golds) D:

Oh well, at least I beat out that level 50 guy for the Ace Pin on that grueling round of Laguna Presa tonight. We were 5 tickets away from winning that thing too :rotate:
    GG Lava, Goomba and Co.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone else getting really, really burnt out? Honestly 10 maps was not enough to release with the game. I havent heard any buzz about new maps yet either, this is really killing me.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I've been enjoying COD :MW (that's the first one) quite a lot lately after the $15 Steam sale. I kinda want to go for another tactical, team-based FPS. I liked the look of ARMA II, but that seems way too far on the side of military sim for me. I get the impression BF:BC2 is a nice middle ground and you guys seem to be enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty bad-to-mediocre at the ol' FPS. I'm a little concerned that this might not be forgiving enough, or that I might just be a drain on life tickets. Is there any hope for me, or perhaps a class people can recommend that might make me valuable?

I'm not that good at the twitch-skill part of FPSes either, and I love BC2. I was specifically looking for an objective-based shooter after burning out on MMOs. I've found it to be fairly forgiving, since you can earn points without kills, but I've also noticed that I can get kills more often than I expected after a few hours of play to acclimatize. Like hailthefish said, once you get over the hump of the ammo/med/repair unlocks, it's easy to contribute to the team without killings lots of dudes. (You can pick up dropped gear that you haven't unlocked and use it too!) The game also has great atmosphere, with the destructible buildings in particular. I think it is worth the full $50 price, which is a huge thing for me to say.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's a good game for people who aren't good at FPS's. The gameplay isn't as twitch based as most online FPS's, and there's plenty to do that's not shooting people. Granted, you will shoot people, it's a necessity, but if you are playing medic, you're also dropping heal kits at key positions and reviving people. As an assault, you drop ammo boxes around for people. As an engineer, you repair vehicles. All of this gets you points. Engineers also shoot vehicles with their RPG, which are big fat targets that are often tagged so your RPG locks onto them.

Still, you need to shoot people. But as long as you remember to not go rambo, try to catch peopleunaware and iron sight before shooting them, you'll do fine. it's slow enough paced that you don't need to be a robot to get kills.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If you can click the post reply button, you can manage to kill people. Not as many people as you'd like, but enough to get by.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I'm getting kind of bored of this, I guess TF2 has spoiled me or something. More maps or guns or gametypes or something would be nice. Maybe not making the helis so limited and having them on more maps or something.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My game is still stubbornly refusing to let me connect to any servers so... yeah. Starcraft 2 is nice though :P

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ButtniksButtniks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The thing about BC2 is that people with highest K/Ds are generally not the people doing things helpful to the team, at least in objective maps. You can be terrible at killing people, and still be an enormous asset. The biggest hurdle is unlocking the repair tool, the medkit, and the ammo box. Once you've done that, and started using them, you're more valuable to the team than half those rank 30 snipers with the K/D of 10.

That's not always true. 80% of the time I'm in CQB and most of the time end up with a positive K/D ratio. I still find time to repair, spot, heal and replenish ammo when available. But that's just me. Probably helps that I've been playing FPS games since BF1942 came out. :P

Buttniks on
    Butniks.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The tank blew up a few moments after you got booted out. "Wait where did ebo go ... now we lost our [MISSILE LOCK] *random guy spawns in tank and drives it forward* OH NOOOOOooooo"

Alegis on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So instead of making a sarcastic post and potentially making an ass out of myself, I'll ask this honestly in case there's a reasonable answer.

Is there a reason that the BC2 admins are folks who I rarely see on BC2?

It seems like every night we have a 32/32 server with no admins on. Harassing Sladvan every night while he's doing some other stuff isn't ideal. It just seems like there are certain players who are on almost everyday, and if one of them were an admin it'd be a lot easier to get PA folks onto the servers, no?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Buttniks wrote: »

That's not always true. 80% of the time I'm in CQB and most of the time end up with a positive K/D ratio. I still find time to repair, spot, heal and replenish ammo when available. But that's just me. Probably helps that I've been playing FPS games since BF1942 came out. :P

That makes you a newbie at FPSs relatively speaking (at least on this forum) you know :P

But you do make a good point about maintaining positive K/D and doing something useful. Generally I see people with good K/D fall in one of three categories:
    -Sniper way out on the hill with his totally pro 5 kills and 1 death at the end of the round
    -Carltard with a ton of kills and a good K/D ratio because he just hangs back and snipes with rockets
    -People like Carbonfire who just obliterate everything and manage to help the team a good amount in the process

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah I tried to join a few squad rush games earlier today.

2 snipers on the offensive team, every server I tried.

Terrible.

Alegis on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

Terrible.
    1. Squad up with PA lads.
    2. Server browser, tick the Empty box.
    3. Sort by number of players.
    4. Invade server and wreck shit.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Warcry wrote: »

Terrible.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but I'm intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I can squad up outside of a game?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    ButtniksButtniks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    Buttniks wrote: »

That makes you a newbie at FPSs relatively speaking (at least on this forum) you know :P

But you do make a good point about maintaining positive K/D and doing something useful. Generally I see people with good K/D fall in one of three categories:
    -Sniper way out on the hill with his totally pro 5 kills and 1 death at the end of the round
    -Carltard with a ton of kills and a good K/D ratio because he just hangs back and snipes with rockets
    -People like Carbonfire who just obliterate everything and manage to help the team a good amount in the process

Also lots of variables come into place, experience, skill, knowledge of the map and weapons you are using.

@Alegis: Squad Rush is not even worth playing, Squad Deathmatch is fun and you can get your gold star on weapons pretty quickly, if you're good.

Buttniks on
    Butniks.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So instead of making a sarcastic post and potentially making an ass out of myself, I'll ask this honestly in case there's a reasonable answer.

It seems like every night we have a 32/32 server with no admins on. Harassing Sladvan every night while he's doing some other stuff isn't ideal. It just seems like there are certain players who are on almost everyday, and if one of them were an admin it'd be a lot easier to get PA folks onto the servers, no?

THIS! I am always bugging Slad or Tyrannus for something or another.

Edit: They could just make me an admin and everything would be great.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

The tank blew up a few moments after you got booted out. "Wait where did ebo go ... now we lost our [MISSILE LOCK] *random guy spawns in tank and drives it forward* OH NOOOOOooooo"

Yeah, that's pretty much how I envision events going everytime I leave the server. 8-)

Maybe it's because the admins were around early and played a lot so they burned out?

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind a few more admins.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warcry wrote: »

Terrible.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but I'm intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I can squad up outside of a game?

Vent/steam, find people who want to play first.

Warcry on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That_Guy wrote: »

Hahaha. Oh That_Guy.

Also, I played last night. I didn't see any o' you there. Also, Tyr is busy with school or accounting or writing up fake contracts or something. Sometimes, I gotta work. Like, shitty ass hours. Carbonfire is always around though, people can always ask him to make room.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WraithXt1 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting really, really burnt out? Honestly 10 maps was not enough to release with the game. I havent heard any buzz about new maps yet either, this is really killing me.

I kinda am. Once I hear about Patch Notes, I stop playing. Luckily I finally picked up Dragon Age, so that's consuming my time. Which will refresh me for playing BCB2 online again.

Hawk on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yep. I generally run hot and cold with online shooters, but I don't have the desire to ever return to this again.

Fats on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Yep. I generally run hot and cold with online shooters, but I don't have the desire to ever return to this again.
    and just as fast as you appeared, you were gone.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, I really want some new maps.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

Hahaha. Oh That_Guy.

Also, I played last night. I didn't see any o' you there. Also, Tyr is busy with school or accounting or writing up fake contracts or something. Sometimes, I gotta work. Like, shitty ass hours. Carbonfire is always around though, people can always ask him to make room.

I shant be after RDR is released. The Ol' West is callin', and I reckon I gotta answer.

One of these days we should get a Squad Rush game going. Still haven't played that mode :?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I hope some day in the future games would release with tools to create your own content, and then you could share these maps with other people and stuff. Man, the FUTURE has so many possibilities.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OH HO HOOOO

ITS FUNNY

BECAUSE WE CAN ALREADY DO THAT BUT WITH THIS GAME WE CAN'T

OH HO HOOOOO
    Yeah new maps would be nice.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's weird because I'm pretty sure there are levels in the single player game that were clearly being built around being available for multiplayer, yet as far as I know they aren't in there.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, I'm going to try and find a server to grind some points on......god I hate this MMO crap.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    übergeek wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to try and find a server to grind some points on......god I hate this MMO crap.

And I wish I could prestige ala Call of Duty so all those points I was gaining went towards something!

Arrath on
This discussion has been closed.