As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished reading Illium and Olympos, started The Terror not too long ago and though I'm having trouble getting into it I think it'll get better.

yes yes yesssss as anyone can tell you I love Simmons

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just started the second novel in the Death Gate Cycle and I recently finished Altered Carbon and Perdido Street Station. For some reason I kept thinking Perdido Street Station was some sci-fi or cyberpunk novel, I was not expecting... whatever it is. It was really good, however, so I think I'll find the author's other books and give them a read.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LuvCherieLuvCherie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand why a book like The History of Beads should even exist

I make jewelry and I frequently use beads. I was curious. Apparently, beads are an accurate representation of an ancient people's technology level. In human history, when a new level of technology was reached, beads were one of the first areas to which the technology was applied (weapons too). The earliest trade routes also owe their existence to beads. Can't say I'm surprised that violence and vanity have always been the driving forces of our species' development, lol.

LuvCherie on
    "I have many skills."
    Making: LuvCherie Jewelry
    Writing: Fibropreneur.com
    Shopping: Amazon Wishes
    Socializing: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
    Gaming: Xbox Live, Playstation, Steam
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am now curious as to what manner of civilization could have developed bead-based weapons

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A rock tied to the end of a stick is almost a bead, I guess.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    is that book a sham or is actually good?

I am not sure yet.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Someguy JohnsonSomeguy Johnson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I just finished reading Ilium and Olympos, started The Terror not too long ago and though I'm having trouble getting into it I think it'll get better.

yes yes yesssss as anyone can tell you I love Simmons

I loved Ilium, but Olympos just didn't sit well with me. Something about the way he broke up the chapters felt weird. Story still kicked ass though.

I love the way The Terror is written so far just haven't been able to read it in anything but short bursts and it's hard to get into that way...had the same problem with Illium and ended up putting off reading for months (big mistake it turned out).

Someguy Johnson on
    [SIGPIC]XBL- TheManAboutTown PS3- someguyjohnson83 Wii- who gives a shit Steam- someguyjohnson[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is Ilium about Troy or Mass Effect or what?

Also I have been meaning to pick up the Terror because it sounds awesome.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Terror is soooo awesome.

Ilium is also awesome.

It is about Troy and the Iliad if it were fused intrinsically with Mass Effect.

That should make you want to read it.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget The Tempest!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »

I am not sure yet.

the first 100 pages or so suck, but power through, it gets really good

YaYa on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I've recently read;

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (Incredible, amazing, epic, etc etc)
    The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne (Enjoyed it immensely)
    Mary - Vladimir Nabokov (A few moments of greatness, but otherwise very dry. Clearly the author's first novel.)

I'm currently reading Saul Bellow's Humboldt's Gift. I was recently turned onto Saul Bellow by my friend who is writing his PHD thesis on Bellow. Humboldt's Gift is my first Bellow novel, and definitely not my last. It's really quite amazing. Its very witty, funny (and I don't laugh at too many books), and it's packed with high intellectual thought and insight.

I've recently ordered;

The Aenid - Virgil (translated by Robert Fagles; Fagles' translations of The Odyssey and The Iliad are masterpieces, so I can't wait for this to arrive).
    The Psychopatholoy of Everyday Life - Sigmund Freud.
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love Les Miserables so much. Victor Hugo is still my favourite author, even though Catch-22 is my favourite book.

Well, he's my favourite dead author. Probably.

Have to qualify these things.

Have you read anything else by Kundera?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished Beatrice and Virgil and frankly the book really left me not really knowing how to feel about the book. I guess right now I'm saying it's a very interesting book but not one I'm recommending to co-workers based on not being sure how they would like the rather touchy Holocaust addressed via animals.

I'm moving on to Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman which is part of the "books the wife bought me for Christmas I hadn't touched yet" collection. If only Picross 3d wasn't taking over my pre-bedtime routine...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love Les Miserables so much. Victor Hugo is still my favourite author, even though Catch-22 is my favourite book.

Well, he's my favourite dead author. Probably.

Have to qualify these things.

Have you read anything else by Kundera?
    Nope, this will be my first. Ignorance also looks pretty interesting. I will read it eventually.

Have you read much Kundera?

oh and a website I've recently come across; http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/
    Save some dollars and free shipping worldwide. Fucking cool.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Some friends of mine were enormous Kundera fans in college. I haven't read an extensive amount of his work - only The Unbearable Lightness of Being, and Farewell Waltz, and Life is Elsewhere.

Let me know what you think!

...also if this Book Depository thing is for real it's totally fantastic. Ordering English books here always jacks up the price, and shipping from Amazon is ridonkulous.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    hey LS

got the show confirmed like five days ago and people are already bothering me!

some woman just tried to guilt me into either giving up my MD or moving the show because they "might have to cancel" their show if they don't get her for it

I very, very, very carefully implied that it was not my problem and she could go fuck herself if she thought I cared

I love the theatre

YaYa on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guilt you into giving up your medical degree?

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah

they're territorial folk, they don't want doctors in their midst

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But you're not a doctor, you only play one on stage!

(I was going to say in such-and-such musical but I couldn't think of a suitable example of a doctor character other than Jekyll and Hyde and ew.)

Also well done you, that woman is silly.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But you're not a doctor, you only play one on stage!

(I was going to say in such-and-such musical but I couldn't think of a suitable example of a doctor character other than Jekyll and Hyde and ew.)

Also well done you, that woman is silly.

damn right she is

I just hope it doesn't come up again like I'm sure it will

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If the episode of House I just watched taught me anything it is that everything will work out in the end for a sassy, powerful working Mother like yourself Yaya.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also that it's not lupus.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I keep meaning to pick up Les Miserables and one time in a bookshop I was like "Now, what books have I been meaning to get. Oh right, the French one."

In the end I got Candide instead which I hear is also good so still a win I guess?

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm currently reading too many history books by various academics of the ancient and medieval variety, the most recent acquisition being the landmark edition of Xenophon's Hellenika.

I've got LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia waiting whenever I want to (ie have time to) read some regular novels.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished From Hell for the second time. That is my favourite graphic novel by a whole big lot.

I'm now reading a book that my friend wrote. He writes and then makes his own books. He started his own publishing company and his work is quality! It's nuts.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    I'm halfway through Deathbird Stories by Warren Ellis and Game of Thrones, which I'm reading for the first time.

I still need to finish All the Pretty Horses and then I'm going to read Bedroom Secrets of Master Chefs (a new novel by Irvine Welch, who wrote Trainspotting and stuff)

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Right now I'm reading some McSweeney's and laughing

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How are you liking Game of Thrones?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    YaYa wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »

I am not sure yet.

the first 100 pages or so suck, but power through, it gets really good

This is good to hear, I'm almost at that point.

Meant to read more on the flight, but I ended up playing X-com for pretty much the entire time cause I was really determined to capture this Sectoid leader. ended up doing it with nothing but a rocket tank and an unconscious guy.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never read Hemingway but I've always wanted to

is "For Whom The Bell Tolls" a good book to start with him

Depends if you're gonna read more of him.

If you plan on reading a deal more of Hemingway, flip to page 57 and pick up The Sun Also Rises, as it might only be up from there.

If you just want a taste of Hemingway, go to page 101 and read To Have and Have Not. A book that sounds a great deal like all his other books.

Or, you know, ignore this shit and chose your own adventure.

TLH on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I re-read World War Z and man it is still awesome.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    How are you liking Game of Thrones?

Really good stuff. Nice how the story isn't overshadowed at all by fantasy elements, as tends to happen. Its more about characters and their interplay than the setting.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mmmk, books i'm reading currently:
    The-Tibetan-Book-of-the-Dea.jpg

%7B262A6DC8-859C-4440-91BF-9B911D68217C%7DImg100.jpg
    Books I just finished reading within the last few months: (First one here is a fucking masterpiece which I highly recommend).
    41a%2B4QX5qOL.jpg

book_lies_my_teacher_told_me.jpg

wise-heart-cover.jpg

ofthemonth_fingerprints.jpg

9781590306314.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Les Miserables is awesome.

I'm not reading anything new right now, which is depressing.

I've recently finished:

7115136.jpg

and

Abbey20-20Desert20Solitaire.jpg
    and of course, my perennial favorite

thebigbook.jpg

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    whoa whoa whoa what?

someone actually enjoyed the scarlet letter???

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TLH wrote: »
    I've never read Hemingway but I've always wanted to

is "For Whom The Bell Tolls" a good book to start with him

Depends if you're gonna read more of him.

If you plan on reading a deal more of Hemingway, flip to page 57 and pick up The Sun Also Rises, as it might only be up from there.

If you just want a taste of Hemingway, go to page 101 and read To Have and Have Not. A book that sounds a great deal like all his other books.

Or, you know, ignore this shit and chose your own adventure.

old man and the sea

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fire Truck, how was Under the Banner of Heaven?

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fire Truck, how was Under the Banner of Heaven?

I didn't care for the writing as much as Into the Wild or Into Thin Air, but it was interesting. Doubly so because I was driving through Utah at the time.

He just seems less focused in it, more willing to go off on tangents and with less of a clear message.

A lot of cool/interesting/scary history though.

Fire Truck on
This discussion has been closed.