As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Emu or Ostrich

2»

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    did you know emu chicks are extremely cute

also it's not pronounced ee-moo. it's eem-yew

I pronounce it as "lunch".
    ostrich is pretty yummy. I've never had emu.
    Speaking of large Australian birds, I had no clue that this thing called a cassowary existed until I visited Australia and saw signs warning not to approach them because they'll kill you just for fun.
    Everything in Australia is designed to kill anything else on the planet within 10 seconds. It's just the rule down there.
    Even the platypus is poisonous.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think OP is one of the oldest pics on the internet. Always loved that one. Always just automatically thought it was on ostrich but sort of interesting to know it's actually an emu.

Either way, it's hilarious. Even after seeing it for so many years.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    and those koalas.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I know birds evolved from dinosaurs.

But the cassowary probably came about when the velociraptors were like "you know, I don't think I like where this whole evolution thing is headed. Being a velociraptor is pretty sweet, so let's just go ahead and stop"

Particularly if you get a look at their brutal toe claw designed to murder humans
    world_tour_2008.1207114560.cassowary-claw.jpg

Holy. Shit.

I for one welcome our new Emu overlords.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe it's an ostrich mimicking an emu?

Inquisitor77 on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The way to tell the difference between an ostrich and an emu for certain is that one bird has three toes while the other has two.

From the pic in the OP, you can see that the bird has two toes by the reflection in its eyes.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know birds evolved from dinosaurs.

But the cassowary probably came about when the velociraptors were like "you know, I don't think I like where this whole evolution thing is headed. Being a velociraptor is pretty sweet, so let's just go ahead and stop"

Particularly if you get a look at their brutal toe claw designed to murder humans
    world_tour_2008.1207114560.cassowary-claw.jpg

Holy. Shit.

I for one welcome our new Emu overlords.

Don't call a cassowary an emu, at least in hearing; it'll kill you for that.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Of course it's an emu. It says it right there in the file name. And you can trust files names. I have it on good authority from someone on the internet.

Roland_tHTG on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    The way to tell the difference between an ostrich and an emu for certain is that one bird has three toes while the other has two.

From the pic in the OP, you can see that the bird has two toes by the reflection in its eyes.

It seems all we needed was

a bird's eye view.

Scroffus on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

It seems all we needed was

a bird's eye view.

8-)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, being that this is an ostrich...

daryl_ossie_narrowweb__300x301,0.jpg

... the bird in the OP must clearly be an emu.
    Speaking of large Australian birds, I had no clue that this thing called a cassowary existed until I visited Australia and saw signs warning not to approach them because they'll kill you just for fun.

A cassowary stole my sandwich once when I was younger... I was pretty upset at the time, but in hindsight I got off pretty easy.

Trentus on