As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Warlocks: We wear cloth.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is that actually important for imps?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, only imp gets that?

Well goddammit.

Yes, it's useful sometimes, but it's useful for all pets sometimes.

What imp can use help with is moving out of shit, since he doesn't that on his own like a pet on melee often would. There's not a great solution for that, but I guess that makes it a little easier.

What all pets have trouble with though, is jumping off of ledges.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    End wrote: »
    Oh, only imp gets that?

Well goddammit.

Yes, it's useful sometimes, but it's useful for all pets sometimes.

What imp can use help with is moving out of shit, since he doesn't that on his own like a pet on melee often would. There's not a great solution for that, but I guess that makes it a little easier.

What all pets have trouble with though, is jumping off of ledges.

Frigging gluth and thaddius.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Love it - and the description "The felguard recklessly swings it's axe"

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    End wrote: »
    No, it's a terrible answer, because saying "other classes do it this way" answers absolutely nothing other than appealing to status quo.

Edit: Also, one mechanic that really really should scale with mana pool is water, but they've been way too resistant on that. I hope that's something they've already changed.
    Other classes do it that way because it makes sense. It only makes sense for life tap to as well. Just like water should scale, life tap should as well.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey stop bickering about Life Tap and start clapping at the felguard's rad new moveset.

edit: oh hey the imp has a new ability too
    http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6397/wowscrnshot090110182432.jpg

the second new ability is "teleport to the warlock's side", 20s cooldown
    Wow, they gave MS to another spec. I like how the felguard abilities "require two-handed axes."

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Hey stop bickering about Life Tap and start clapping at the felguard's rad new moveset.

edit: oh hey the imp has a new ability too
    http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6397/wowscrnshot090110182432.jpg

the second new ability is "teleport to the warlock's side", 20s cooldown
    Wow, they gave MS to another spec. I like how the felguard abilities "require two-handed axes."

I expect you could disarm a felguard to make the abilities uncastable this way?

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's a good point, actually. Most things with an obvious weapon are disarmable these days.

forty on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, when you you dudes use purified dreadstones/reckless ametrines rather than going all out with runed cardinals? I ask because I see a lot of warlocks doing it on basically every piece of gear, and I don't really understand why.

A dreadstone is worth 17 spellpower as affliction with the lifetap glyph up, and it's worth more as demonology. So the socket bonus only has to be worth 6 spellpower assuming the other socket is red. The margin is smaller with orange gems. But I see warlocks just loading more runed cardinals in those slots.

Are they just dumb? Am I dumb for missing something?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't know why they do it either, other than laziness.

It's really nice that pretty much every socket bonus is spell power these days.

End on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, when you you dudes use purified dreadstones/reckless ametrines rather than going all out with runed cardinals? I ask because I see a lot of warlocks doing it on basically every piece of gear, and I don't really understand why.

A dreadstone is worth 17 spellpower as affliction with the lifetap glyph up, and it's worth more as demonology. So the socket bonus only has to be worth 6 spellpower assuming the other socket is red. The margin is smaller with orange gems. But I see warlocks just loading more runed cardinals in those slots.

My break point was 7 spellpower for blue, if the bonus was worth 7 I'd activate it, if not I'd use a runed.

For yellow I always went with reckless, but I really like haste.

That's how I gemmed mine anyway.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

My break point was 7 spellpower for blue, if the bonus was worth 7 I'd activate it, if not I'd use a runed.

For yellow I always went with reckless, but I really like haste.

That's how I gemmed mine anyway.

For personal dps 6 sp bonus sounds about right for the breaking point for blue sockets (yellow are almost always worth putting in a haste/sp gem) - however if you are demo its basically aways worth it to gem for the socket bonus because of the raid dps increase you get for 1 point of spirit.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Y'know what pisses me off? Warlocks who have a +10 stats gem.

I've had two apply to my guild doing that in the last two weeks.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think we had a mage app do that recently.

We don't really get any warlock applications, unfortunately.

End on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What do succubus the void walker and the fel hound get?

Odd that one skill on the felguard required two handed axes

Brainleech on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

As someone mentioned, they could get disarmed.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

As someone mentioned, they could get disarmed.

That or they could give warlocks the option to give thier daemons items to customize them

Brainleech on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to make my succubus hold onto a chesto berry

...if you know what I mean :winky:

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I didn't notice anything massively different on the fel puppy, but suffering has been turned into a real taunt with a 10 second CD. <3 (The other ability is still a threat bomb with a little damage added to it).

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, the fel hound is losing the defensive dispel aspect of Devour Magic, so there's that I guess?

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, the fel hound is losing the defensive dispel aspect of Devour Magic, so there's that I guess?

boo hiss
    They are taking all the fun out of the game it seems

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

boo hiss
    They are taking all the fun out of the game it seems

They split it - Imp gets the defense dispel, fel puppy gets offensive dispel.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That seems kind of silly.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The rationale is that non-Demonology warlocks would likely still use nothing but the felhunter in PvP due to the power of having both offensive/defensive dispels (in addition to the interrupt of course). Admittedly, the imp really does need something for PvP, beyond just being machine gun DPS in zerg situations like AV.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem like moving the defensive dispel will be enough for anyone to stop using the felhunter. I mean, you're really giving up the offensive dispel and the interrupt, in favor of a much weaker pet with a defensive dispel? In what situation does that make sense?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, they've said the imp (and the succubus) won't really be weaker in Cataclysm. I haven't seen if the three are completely normalized in the health/armor department, but they're supposed to be relatively close so that the choice between them is solely in abilities, not the fact that only one of them doesn't turn into dust the moment a 251+ geared player looks at them.

Edit: Yes, the felhunter still looks like the champion since spell lock is on par with the offerings from the succubus/imp, and then it still has offensive dispelling to boot, but I could at least imagine some situations where seduction might actually be enough to make up for the soon-to-be smaller advantages of the felhunter. If you happen to encounter a melee-heavy, caster/healer-light team, for example.

Or perhaps the defensive dispel could actually make the imp better than the felhunter in a warlock vs. warlock situation? I don't know; just speculating.

forty on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still don't know what the succubus' point is in any tree. If you're Destro you take the imp, Affliction takes the felpuppy and Demo obviously takes the felguard (Or blueberry for the shield).

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I think facing some kind of warlock/shadow priest team is the only time the defensive dispel might be preferred. Even then though, any time the other team has as healer you'd probably want the felhunter, since dispelling hots and interrupting are so important.

Seduce, I dunno. I guess they could change it in such a way that it's duration/channel time become less of a problem, but it's hard to see how they really could make it useful without simultaneously making it too powerful.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not sure I'd even take the defensive dispel against aff warlocks and shadow priests. Against a mage who really loves polymorph a lot maybe? The interrupt is a pretty hard one to lose, especially if you end up in a 1v1 situation or there's a healer involved.

As for succubus, she's mostly just there for the extra CC, I guess. They mentioned making her backlash a knockback a while back, but I haven't really paid any attention to if she got it or not.

End on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I don't disagree that most people won't still want to stick with the doggy. I'm just spouting Blizzard's rationale behind the changes, which are at least reasonable.

Beyond just trying to balance the pets, it's also possible that Blizzard simply considers a warlock with a pet that interrupts, offensive dispels, and defensive dispels in a world where individual dispels are supposed to be more meaningful/powerful to be overpowered.

Edit: I think they need to do a better job of distinguishing the succubus as an anti-melee pet.

forty on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's the current affliction spec look like?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Looks like they made nether protection good for more than two schools of magic and tied it to the new Nether Ward.

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It already works with all schools of magic.

Tying it to shadow ward is different though.

End on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    whoops, comes to show the last time I paid attention to that talent.

Beezel on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, it *seems* like they nerfed the shit out of Siphon Life. The Bane of Doom change is meh, the Unstable Affliction thing is, what, a re-clarification? Pandemic update is fine I suppose.

I *love* the Soulshatter change, 90% on a 2 minute cooldown is *much* better. Of course, in general it's been better purely because it doesn't cost soul shards anymore, but still.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hard to get a handle on the siphon life change without knowing how much stam and spellpower we will expect to have.

The change will probably have the biggest impact on pvp, since it's pve healing is mostly incidental anyway

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, warlocks were looking good there for a bit.

The last build was kinda bad though and this build is fucking BRUTAL.

They completely fucked up Demonology's Execute. Why does Molten Core proc off a spell we won't be casting below 35%? WTF good is it?

And Siphon Life is now pathetic.

The Demonic Empowerment change was troubling at first, but looking at it now I think it makes sense. It's basically a utility tool now. Which at least gives it a nice little niche (even if it won't be used that often) and means you won't have to macro it into every single ability anymore.

shryke on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Man, warlocks were looking good there for a bit.

The last build was kinda bad though and this build is fucking BRUTAL.

They completely fucked up Demonology's Execute. Why does Molten Core proc off a spell we won't be casting below 35%? WTF good is it?

And Siphon Life is now pathetic.

The Demonic Empowerment change was troubling at first, but looking at it now I think it makes sense. It's basically a utility tool now. Which at least gives it a nice little niche (even if it won't be used that often) and means you won't have to macro it into every single ability anymore.

Anger rising... Nerd Rage takING OVER!

RARGLEBARGLEGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
    The change will probably have the biggest impact on pvp, since it's pve healing is mostly incidental anyway

Sez you! Now affliction locks are back to not being able to handle more than two mobs at a time! :x

And forget about being able to Lifetap every forty seconds! :x:x:x

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They should do away with Glyph of Lifetap anyway. It's a fucking abomination.

shryke on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    They should do away with Glyph of Lifetap anyway. It's a fucking abomination.

If by abomination you mean, "the only good minor glyph warlocks have."

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
This discussion has been closed.