edited May 2010
    Highest rated comment on the Guardian article:

I think I speak for everyone when I say:

Jesus Fucking Christ

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mean, couldn't they have just used some sort of well known characters like Wallace and Gromit?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I mean, couldn't they have just used some sort of well known characters like Wallace and Gromit?

Hell, aren't the royals basically mascots you're already paying for? :P

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm still hoping that any minute now the committee will be all "LOLJK!" and announce that they're something similar to these:
    3749442355_572b952350.jpg

Maybe with a little less heads-on-fire

But I suppose the Wenlock and Mandeville are easier to market to kids.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    500x_hitlerlondonmascots.jpg

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heh, and the British media complained about the mascots for the Vancouver Olympics...

We did call them a bunch of dicks for doing that, but you guys didn't need to take it so literally.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What the hell is that building behind them?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Well, if you were the company that did a logo that resembles Lisa Simpson giving her brother head you might want to not mention it that much.

*Google search*

God damnit. Now I can't un-see it.

While the same design, the colouring scheme used on the Paralympics version of the logo is even worse.

Possibly NSFW
    220px-LondonParalympicLogo2.svg.png

How that can get through a committee without raising some flags I don`t know. Do blowjobs not exist in London or something

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think this is great considering the British press slamming Canada/Vancouver Olympics.

You reap what you sow, bitches.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dicks.

Nearly. Literal. Dicks.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    The 1976 Montreal Olympics mascot looks like a gift-wrapped turd.
    image002.jpg

A perfect metaphor for the Montreal Olympics.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At least the '88 Winter Olympics were pretty awesome. Or so I remember.

The theme song was catchy as all hell.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I always liked Misha

Misha most glorious Olympic mascot. In Soviet Russia, Olympic mascot ashamed of YOU!

Cervetus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As a citizen of Georgia, I though my state's shitty mascot would never be equaled. Congratulations!

Couscous on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    As a citizen of Georgia, I though my state's shitty mascot would never be equaled. Congratulations!

No, no, Izzy's still worse. Remember, his very name was founded in some little girl asking 'What is it?', which is Little Girl Speak for "WTF?"

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    The Iron ChancellorThe Iron Chancellor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Saw this on Gaf, thought it was pretty funny
    s8_1640636a.jpg

The Iron Chancellor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Gosling wrote: »

No, no, Izzy's still worse. Remember, his very name was founded in some little girl asking 'What is it?', which is Little Girl Speak for "WTF?"
    Izzy was the official mascot of the Atlanta 1996 Summer Olympics. Named Whatizit (What is it?) at its first introduction at the close of the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, the computer animated character with the ability to morph into different forms was a departure from the Olympic tradition in that it didn't represent a nationally-significant animal or human figure. Colin Mackey was in the suit.
    Despite continued efforts to evolve his look, Izzy proved very unpopular; a range of nicknames appeared in media outlets, such as "The Sperm in Sneakers."
    I keep on forgetting how much that mascot sucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Saw this on Gaf, thought it was pretty funny [IMG][/img]

That's my favourite photoshop so far!

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Saw this on Gaf, thought it was pretty funny [IMG][/img]

That's my favourite photoshop so far!

That was the second thing I thought of seeing the mascots for the first time. "CCTC"

The first thing was "Penis."

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't recall 'The Sperm In Sneakers'.

Dear God, must every attempt to make a mascot that embodies the Olympic spirit end in penis jokes?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't recall 'The Sperm In Sneakers'.

Dear God, must every attempt to make a mascot that embodies the Olympic spirit end in penis jokes?

The Olympics are all about the penis.

Couscous on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    They should have used Wallace and Gromit.
    This is an awesome idea. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Third mascot revealed!
    Eye_Sauron.jpg

Adding a flaming vagina to the mix totally makes it more subtle.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shoulda had Olympic Daleks...

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I...

I'm being totally seriously when GCSE art students could design better mascots than that. I'm already sick of this and it's 2 fucking years away.
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Shoulda had Olympic Daleks...

HELL YES.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Why didn't they just go for a Lion and a Unicorn

bongi on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is it true that they are having "netball" as a demonstration sport? What is that, half-ass basketball?

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is it true that they are having "netball" as a demonstration sport? What is that, half-ass basketball?

Pretty much basketball without dribbling or tackling. So yeah.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Netball is like basketball except you can't move when you've got the ball.

That's not a joke.

----

There haven't been any demonstration sports at the Games since 1992, so I would be surprised if there were any this time. Except maybe cricket. Everyone should be forced to watch a five-day Test match before the games can begin.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm still hoping that any minute now the committee will be all "LOLJK!" and announce that they're something similar to these:
    3749442355_572b952350.jpg

Maybe with a little less heads-on-fire

But I suppose the Wenlock and Mandeville are easier to market to kids.

I think awesome lions with heads on fire would be a better sell.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They really should bring back demonstration sports, kind of as an Olympic farm system. Take a prospective sport, see how it goes over, and if it manages to prove any more popular than any of the actual events, well.... there you go.

And if it turns out like baseball, which in both event AND demonstration proved incomprehensible to most of the host countries... well, you learn that too.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They really should bring back demonstration sports, kind of as an Olympic farm system. Take a prospective sport, see how it goes over, and if it manages to prove any more popular than any of the actual events, well.... there you go.

And if it turns out like baseball, which in both event AND demonstration proved incomprehensible to most of the host countries... well, you learn that too.

They should just bring in pankration. It is the badass of the badass sports.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

They should just bring in pankration. It is the badass of the badass sports.

Only if nude participation is mandatory.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They need to make jousting into an Olympic sport. I'd watch that.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Olympic Star Craft or nothing.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Indeed! Certainly, now that rugby union has returned to Olympic competition after its seemingly endless wilderness years, some form of cricket stands rather well positioned to argue its case for similar reincorporation through demonstration. The Wushu tournament at the 2008 games in Peking, while simply capital, was not the sort of proper audition for wider recognition that should be made a regular feature.

Doctor Livingstone on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »

Pretty much basketball without dribbling or tackling. So yeah.

:lol:

Isn't that tamaire, a game played by Japanese schoolchildren during sports festivals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r3NmX0eTJw

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Indeed! Certainly, now that rugby union has returned to Olympic competition after its seemingly endless wilderness years, some form of cricket stands rather well positioned to argue its case for similar reincorporation through demonstration. The Wushu tournament at the 2008 games in Peking, while simply capital, was not the sort of proper audition for wider recognition that should be made a regular feature.

Twenty20 (or is it 20Twenty?) cricket might work for the Olympics.

I'm still holding out for Tiddlywinks, though: quintessentially British, and still a true amateur sport.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]