As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tokens for D+D 4th ED

MALACHEMALACHE Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
Just wondering if anyone had a link to some good tokens for a D+D battlefield. I just rolled up my first character in 14 years and watched a 4th Edition game run tonight for the first time.

I noticed that certain effects, like "bloodied", would be better represented with tokens under the minis on the playfield. I also remembered (loosely) there being a mention in one of the PA posts about something like that being created. Are those or any others available as a .pdf that I can print out?

Thanks in advance, and it's great to be back to table-top. One more thing that going to PAX East has renewed in this old dork/geek/gamer!!

MALACHE on

• bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's a few things that I've seen either posted in one of the blog posts, or in one of the threads here, that might be helpful.

One of them, and probably the easiest/cheapest, is to use different colored pipe cleaners to hang over the minis (like red for the fighter's mark, and blue for a slow effect from a wizard), or loop over whatever you use to denote creatures. A bagful of a random assortment should do fine for most things.

Another is to make little flags using toothpicks and such, with either stickers printed to match the different bonuses/effects being used or folded scraps of paper taped/stabbed onto the toothpick. The toothpick could even be left out, instead just sticking the paper/sticker directly to the minis/tokens.

Those are the most visual of the things I've seen suggested/posted about around here, and I personally use the pipe cleaner idea to great effect.

As far as pre-made things that can be printed, check the discussion thread's OP, there should be links to all kinds of useful stuff there.

bladecruiser on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My group picked these up after our first few sessions:

Alea Tools

We have been happy ever since. Generally, we have a color for most status conditions:

Yellow: Stun
    Brown: Immobile
    Black: Blind
    Light Blue: Slow
    Purple: Weakend

etc.

We numbered the grey markers with a ultra-fine sharpie for monster idenification, kobold 1-8, for example.

In addition, each player has 5-10 of their own color for marks, ongoing damage for monsters, curse/quarry/oath/whathaveyou. It may seem like a bit of an inverstment up front, but split it amongst your group. Just being able to, at a glance, know what is going on as a player or DM is worht the price of admission.

As a point of interest, if you visit these guys at a convention (we met them at GenCon) you can mix and match colors to your heart's content.

Neurotika on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That link isn't working for me...

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, not sure why...

...googling up Alea Tools should get you there.

Neurotika on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Other proposed solutions:

1) Using different coloured rings from soda bottle caps and draping them over minis.
    Works well if you use minis and can find enough colours.

2) Different coloured paperclips. Clip them right on the monster tokens or cards and on the player sheets.

3) Poker chips under the minis.

Sipex on
  • MALACHEMALACHE Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was thinking more along the lines of the ones shown here stuck to the minis more so than the disks put underneath them.

758886494_aicdZ-O.jpg

Anyone have any ideas as to if these were released or if anyone else has something similar in a printable format??? The books and everything have cost me a ton recently so I am trying to keep ona bit of a budget as far as supplies like this go. Once again, thanks for any help.

MALACHE on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember Mike said those were homemade, either by him or one of his players. I imagine it should be pretty simple to copy the design.

PolloDiablo on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If I remember correctly, one of Mike's players is a Graphic Designer or some such, and designed those custom for their game.

So, Pollo is pretty much spot on in this case.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir