As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You mean Bastion? The best way to get resistance credits is to do actual battles. Head in, and go for the Observer type mobs for easy kills. You should get 1000 credits quickly that way. The resistance Ops are retarded for multiple reasons but the main one is you can only do one once a game day.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I think I meant Bastion. Just the battles you can talk to a duder and participate in. Not Resistance Ops. Those look miserable.

So thats cool. I'll probably work on that some. Though there's no hurry. I don't have many seals to make the emp gear +1, and the base versions are pretty weak, particularly compared to the perle gear. You pretty much have to have the set +1 for it to be worth equipping outside of just looking cool. I have 6 body seals and like 4 glove ones. I should check where the others drop.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    A Red Mage can straight up tell me he or she is Converting, and I will STILL have a heart attack every time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You shouldn't. The red mage is never your responsibility, unless this is 3 years ago and your main tank is a rdm on an hnm. Anyone converting should be figuring in the mp and enmity to immediately heal themselves afterward, and if the numbers don't work, don't convert. Very few situations provide you nowhere to run a little distance before converting.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Yet, I know all this. I am a kick ass White Mage. I know it is coming, and I know the drill, and I still skip a heart beat when they push button.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yet, I know all this. I am a kick ass White Mage. I know it is coming, and I know the drill, and I still skip a heart beat when they push button.

I think I died a grand total of once from an ill-timed convert. It's not something that happens regularly, in any case.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It sure as hell seems to be in xp parties in abyssea. I don't know what people are thinking converting right next to multiple enemies that regularly drop aoe.

In a similar vein people keep constantly taking their res while enemies that, no way, aoe are still up right next to their corpse.

And then die.

Again.

And then bitch that they're only getting a Raise instead of a Raise III.

Hey! You! The Alliance leader and person who was spamming for members in Jeuno. Yeah, the one who managed to get 18 people and not a single WHM. You don't get to bitch about what kind of raise you get. Also, don't fucking ask a lower level PLD to tank those enemies when you don't have healers to keep him up!

Just a thought.

So yeah, I had a pretty bad experience the other night. Just gonna lay low a couple days and get less frustrated by stupidity.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    KysennaKysenna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Totally agreed. Also, I took a small break, and I come back to find BLMs and SMNs doing it, too! Rationally, I know they're not going to die, it's just the built-in WHM reaction from seeing someone drop into the red.

Then again, I also twitch every time I hear someone use Souleater.

Kysenna on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    FYI, there's apparently a bug where if you convert more than one traversers stone to time, at the same time, you could lose any past the first.

I've had this happen twice that I know of for sure, but I'm not 100% I always paid attention in the past. Several people in the atma hunting alliance I was in earlier said that it has happened to them and they only trade one stone at a time now no matter what.

Just throwing that out there for anyone who might just toss a bunch of stones at the time NPC and not really pay attention to the time they actually get vs the time they're told they get.

Incidentally the annoying thing with alliances that are hunting nm's purely for abyssites and atmas are that they don't farm the proper lights at the same time to make sure they get stones to extend the time; so you end up having to use traversers stones to make up the slack. Usually in XP parties I leave Abyssea with more time than I went in with. Not so otherwise.

Oh well, Out of stones, out of time. Not enough cruor to buy the -4hr Abyssite either so I can't just go in and get the retroactively created stones without 3000 more cruor. Bleh. Guess I'm waiting a few days to finish PLD. I need to start on DNC anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What BCNM give phalanx again? Hmm... time to go look!

..Oh hey, Under Observation. I still want to do that. We should do that sometime. I can try to make Maddoc get on and be useful, as well.

I keep forgetting that I've been meaning to level Red or Blue Mage specifically just to do Under Observation

Maddoc on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    whoa whoa that's not how it works at all

You're capped at 120min Period. If you get TEs you cannot go over 120min of time via stones.

So if you have 80 min saved and try to use 2 stones with 30 min per stone, you will get only 40min and lose 2 stones.

If you come in with 0 time, and use 1 stone, and then get enough TEs to get to 100min total time (not time left, time youv'e been in abyssea) then you can use 1 stone to gain 20min.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm fully aware of how the stones work.

If I have 10 minutes and 2 3min abyssites and I give two stones I should end up with 82 minutes.

Not 46. Which is what I ended up with, and both stones gone.

Which is what happened. And as I said, several people in the alliance said its happened to them too.

I'm pretty sure you didn't read my post.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have so many stones at this point that I've never noticed nor cared if one vanished. Worse case I leave to get another 3. Of my stockpile of probably several thousand.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Haha, yeah, I remember when we found out that there's apparently no limit to the number of stones the guy will hold for you.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have never seen that glitch in all my time of giving him 2 stones at a time...and that's a LOT of times.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I have never seen that glitch in all my time of giving him 2 stones at a time...and that's a LOT of times.

I've had it hiccup on me once or twice before, but as others have mentioned, I have approximately $TEXAS stones, so it isn't like I care.

I think I've gotten to the point where I honestly no longer care about grinding more power. I'm just running quests and missions the whole time every time I log in. It's the most fun I've ever had playing XI.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It really is enjoyable to run quests and missions in ffxi. The funny thing is, by "modern" mmo standards, they provide. No real reward other than story. Which the did amazingly well and feels more rewarding than your typical collectathon for more xp. I don't get how, nine years later, no other mmo comes close on this front; not even ffxiv. Having a high level job is soooooooo nice in this regard. I can finally just go out and run stuff without sweating needing assistance. Sure there is still the random level capped mission or boss that still needs a part or alliance, bit for the most part the majority of the game is now open to everyone.

Anyway I've got a stock of stones again so after I can finish th grind to 90, currently at 82 PLD. Then missions and dnc. I think I rsealized the easiest way for me to get the seals and stones and coins for PLD amp gear is to have a more useful job. Atm I think that means NIN and DNC untill I have the cash to properly level BLM or other dd'er down the road.

Also stones were a concern simply because I've had abysses such a short amount of time and even after I got it I didn't do the quests to start earning them. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I need to cap out BST and go farming in Abyssea. Then maybe cap out the rest of my pet jobs. I've been kind of dragging ass as far as FFXI goes though. Not because I dont enjoy it, simply because I've been dragging ass in every game lately.

Summer makes me lazy. Ugh.

Oh well, I'll need to run Nyzul at some point too, need to get to 100 so I don't have to do anything incredibly stupid to unlock the mythic weaponskills, since they are so damn /good/ most of the time. PUP I unlocked the hard way, considering I'm only at floor 20ish on my key. Yeah... A straight week of skillchaining light like a boss.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Celestial Nights is starting on the 27th.

I had never heard of this holiday before. The page on the main site for it reads like terrible high school emo writings; but whatever.

Here is a guide to the event. It's from last year but it should be the same. The rewards are some furnishings (plants) and Yukata's that dispense fireworks.

Not terribly exciting.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, my social LS converted into an abyssea LS which was fine, but then they booted me for inactivity, which I am not terribly pleased with. Especially since I joined the guild while in EST, but now I'm in Germany for a couple more weeks.

Anyway, does anyone on Asura have a shell that needs a 90 blm / 90 smn that plays sporadically?

seabass on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Haha wow hooooly shit

How did I not notice that Last Resort got buffed from its piddly thirty second duration to three minutes

I mean, granted it probably still won't put me on par with War, but having Desperate Blows active 60% of the time is pretty nice

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hooooolyyyyy shit.

This is a day I thought would never actually come

Playonline accounts for FFXI will be merged with SquareEnix accounts and all account and payment management will be transfered off POL and onto SE's web-based site, like FFXIV.

The transition will start at the end of July and go till the end of August. After that you cannot log into POL/FFXI without merging your accounts.

The full support post in the spoiler:
    In order to better safeguard the account security of PlayOnline users and provide a more streamlined account management experience, transfer of PlayOnline IDs to the Square Enix Account System will begin at the end of July, 2011.

Please visit the following URL for more information on Square Enix accounts.
    http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/

* Transfer Period:
    The transfer process will be available starting at the end of July, 2011 and is scheduled to last until August 31, 2011. After August 31, 2011, however, access to PlayOnline and FINAL FANTASY XI will not be possible until the transfer process is completed.

* Transfer Process
    A walkthrough detailing the transfer process will be posted on the PlayOnline website as well as the FAQ section of the Square Enix Support Center at the end of July, 2011. After the transfer process is complete, the user information registered to the Square Enix Account will act as the primary account information.

* PlayOnline Functions:
    All billing and account information management functions will be transferred from the PlayOnline Viewer to the Square Enix Account Management System, allowing for convenient web-based account management. Please see below for a complete list of functions:
    - Join PlayOnline
    - PlayOnline Password Change
    - Purchase/Cancelation/Review of Content IDs
    - Payment Method Change
    - Account History
    - Registration of Expansion Packs
    - Purchase of Optional Services
    - Usage Details
    - Campaign Registration

* Payment Methods
    Square Enix Crysta (http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/crysta/), debit cards, and credit cards will be viable payment methods after ID transfer. Debit and credit cards must support personal authentication services (such as 3D Secure) in order to be used.

* Logging into PlayOnline after the Transition
    Certain customers may be required to register their Square Enix account and PlayOnline ID before logging into PlayOnline.

An actual FAQ for how to merge your accounts will come out closer to the merge.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    ..Yet we still have to use POL, so kinda fail, really.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, but it's a step.

Account management was far and away the most irritating part of POL. Everything else is totally ignorable and aside from the act of logging in itself, it's only, what; 3 button clicks to load XI?

The biggest problem is that the game client can't handle anything POL does, from mail to buddy lists. They could drop the mail feature entirely and I don't think anyone would even notice. The buddy list system, it seems, could be integrated into the client without a hell of a lot of problems; but they'd probably have to limit the buddy functionality to server only since I doubt the client is set up to search players on other servers like POL can. Though, I suppose this could be done via a web interface too like billing will be.

But yeah, this is a nice move, particularly the expansion of payment options to Crysta points or whatever they're called. Since you can pay via paypal for those people who have had billing issues with their card security requirements could actually play if they wanted to.

And while I think they could move to drop POL entirely, I just don't think it's ever going to be realistic. But, XI is still a source of steady income for SE. It' makes as much, if not more, sense, for them to keep investing in it above and beyond what they already are; than XIV. Maybe someday we will see a POLless XI.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Whelp, got my evoker's ring and I'm working on my rank 9 missions now. Smn is a pretty boss job for soloing.

seabass on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    July update is live.

Patch notes are HERE.

Some cool stuff contained. Despite a lot of meaningful changes, the ones I'm most excited about are the improved icons on character names on the 360 and PC and uh...the /yell option for Jeuno. The /yell will display in all Jeuno zones so you no longer have to camp Port Jeuno to get in any parties for anything. EDIT: oh and Abyssea has its own Key Item section now. That's useful.

I finally have shit settled down in RL so I can get back to finishing PLD and start working on DNC. So...yay?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Random question: weapon skill points. for 1 handed weapons, if I have nin subbed and go and dual wield, say, axes, can I skill up on both hits? Is your skill up chance reduced to balance out having 2 equipped?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Random question: weapon skill points. for 1 handed weapons, if I have nin subbed and go and dual wield, say, axes, can I skill up on both hits? Is your skill up chance reduced to balance out having 2 equipped?

Dual wielding is, in fact, the best way to skillup.

Even if the chance is reduced or somehow modified, you'll still level dual wielded weapons about 3x faster than a 2h weapon. God leveling 2h stuff is still pain.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    alright, awesome. That's good to know in the future.

Also, spending 6 hours hunting for atmas, while nice and all to have, sure doesn't give you very much xp. I just got under 4 merits in that time. Individual kills for the nm's could give anywhere from 1-5k xp, but those kills could sometimes take up to half hour. So...yeah. My sword skill is really far behind. I haven't played in a few weeks and forgot how far behind I got it. It is ~lvl 66 skill and I'm 82. I can hit most of the non-nm's in abyssea with sushi but I think that since they're so high level, even if I hit them, skill gains are really few and far between. Since PLD isn't terribly useful at 90 in abyssea parties anyway I'm not sure I'm going to spend a lot of time playing catch up on sword and might just move on to a more useful job and use that to get what I need. I feel shitty in parties for XP and for atmas because even if I were 90 with all my crap where it should be, as PLD, there simply isn't much for me to do. At all. I ended up turning on my 360 halfway through simply because between tossing an occasional cure IV I was just standing there most of the time. Of course, so were many people, there were folks who were there simply for triggers and due to TP abilities on the nm's would just come in to trigger something then move out and stand there the rest of the fight so the tanks didn't get murdered by tp abilities. The whole of Abyssea is just weird design decision after weird design decision. Some are nice and some are just "huh?".

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Woooo, finally rank 10 windurst. It only took like 5 years. I'm also two battlefields away from ToAU, which I'm really happy with.

So... two questions. Which nation should I do next? I'm leaning Bastok, but I'd love to hear any other suggestion.

And secondly, I have no melee Jobs at all (90 blm, 90 smn, 50 whm,rdm,sch) , and I'm thinking about leveling one. What's a good hit stuff with sticks job to level, what are the good support jobs, and so on?

seabass on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Job to level: Warrior, Samurai, Monk.

Warrior to 50>Samurai to cap would be best. You'll really only need warrior and ninja for subs. (Though you probably already have nin leveled. Since even mages use it sometimes.)

MNK is for lulz. Great job, boring though, beautiful utility and amazing equipment options.

WAR is some of the sexiest DPS. SAM is just more fun though.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Huh. I thought war was mostly just around for red procs at this point. I did not know they did respectable DPS at this point.

seabass on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So just throwing this out there:

SquareEnix is considering a straight port of FFXI to the PS Vita

Apparently it would be easier to do that than port XI to the PS3 (I have no idea why).

That could be....really cool. Except...the obvious issues of a menu/text heavy MMO on a tiny screen. Though I guess the screen on the Vita isn't really "tiny".

But it brings up other thoughts in my head, like...Ipad. XI doesn't exactly require a great system and the IPad hardware is considerably more powerful than the PC's that ran the game at launch 9 years ago. Touch controls could work ok, but communication would be an issue; however it would be on the Vita too.

Anyway, the Vita thing, the system was already looking pretty enticing to me, but being able to play XI anywhere you can get wifi (or if you use at&t 3g olol) is pretty cool and if it happens just makes it more appealing.

Also, the fact they're even considering it means that we can expect XI to be around for the foreseeable future which is also nice.

On an unrelated note, did my 85 break last night so now I can get to 90 unrestricted. Related to the previous few posts, yeah, WAR at 90 do some nice damage right now in abyssea. I have considered leveling it up too since it is my second highest job after PLD at 50. But I really want to get dnc/nin at least to 50 each for subbing for increased soloability for any other job I want to level down the road.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    seabass wrote: »
    Huh. I thought war was mostly just around for red procs at this point. I did not know they did respectable DPS at this point.

I want to say War has been absolute top DPS for quite awhile now, at least in Abyssea

Maddoc on
  • Options
    KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So you guys are still on Carbuncle, right? What times are people generally on, now?

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Honestly I'm really the only one who plays even semi-regularly on Carbuncle anymore.

chocobolicious is there but afaik doesn't really play much; granted I was afk for damn near a month there for various reasons. Unless something has changed he's got an active account though and helped me out several times with stuff as I was leveling up, but I haven't seen him on just playing anytime in the last week at least since I've been back in town.

Bri is on Carbuncle too but I don't think he's got an active account anymore and afaik hasn't for some time. If he does I haven't seen him on in several months.

Anyone else, I have no idea. Maybe they are on Carbuncle but I haven't ever played with them but that doesn't mean anything, as I am a consistently on again off again player since launch; this is quite possibly getting to be the longest I've been around at one time in years. It has certainly been by far the most productive period of time I've played in years. I'm an hour or so, tops, from getting (finally) my first level 90, which will enable me to do a lot whenever I want solo, particularly since they removed the level caps on a whole bunch of content.

Anyway, I usually play in the morning/early afternoon (US mountain time), and then again late-ish at night, usually after 10pm or so. I'm either with my LS collecting atmas from NM's or leveling PLD, and soon NIN and DNC. I might take a detour and work on nation missions and quests though since I'll be able to do many of them now without a lot of, or any, help.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    But my account is active and I am always watching. Always watching...

• Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    I'm on break because the game became nothing but Empyrean Weapon farming for me, and that was awful. Gold Chests, Red Procs, hours spent in Abyssea. Bleh. I might come back next level cap increase. But I'm still holding out hope for another boxed expansion....... Hahahahhaa, right......

• Options
    I could play. I have really wanted to. I've just been so busy with steam sales and such! Then trying to actually play some of the stuff I've bought a little. My PC kind of throws up if any other game opens when FFXI is open, though, which is annoying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey I can log on!

I hit 90 on PLD finally on Wed night, so that's cool. I guess the next level cap increase is expected sometime between aug-oct? That's what someone in my LS said the other day. So that is cool I guess? I'm half heartedly looking for creed seals to at least get my set to +1, but I don't have any notion that emp gear will still be the goal at 99. I mean they could do +3 or something, but will they? I suspect some other end-game goal, probably more linked to all the voidwatch stuff they've been adding in lately.