As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT'S ALIVE

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This seems very oddly timed considering that horror movie about genetic engineering and creating new species called Splice is coming out within a month.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    is there any work of science fiction where playing God turns out to be pretty okay?

You're only 'playing god' when something goes horribly wrong.

The rest of the time you're curing cancer.

I would call curing cancer playing God

Man was never meant to harness the awesome power of the pointy stick.

Brolo on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    is there any work of science fiction where playing God turns out to be pretty okay?

I'll write one when I'm done with my current story. That sounds like fun.

maybe I should also write something

start a trend

I agree

Squall on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    so like if you inject special bacterial horsey dna into a baby, you can raise a halfstallion/half human monstrosity? am i reading that right? can i finally ride a centaur?

Essentially we've only been able to splice parts of engineered DNA patterns into cells before.

This time we've put an entire loop of engineered DNA into a cell, and it's complete enough that it can replicate on its own.

The implications for bioweapons are terrifying.

Really, there are many more effective, less-delicate and less-costly methods for creating bio-weapons than this.

Sure, if you just want to kill people.

But now the sky's the limit.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    so like if you inject special bacterial horsey dna into a baby, you can raise a halfstallion/half human monstrosity? am i reading that right? can i finally ride a centaur?

Essentially we've only been able to splice parts of engineered DNA patterns into cells before.

This time we've put an entire loop of engineered DNA into a cell, and it's complete enough that it can replicate on its own.

The implications for bioweapons are terrifying.

Really, there are many more effective, less-delicate and less-costly methods for creating bio-weapons than this.

yeah, nature's already ten million times more cost effective

just use any number of existing deadly pathogens

Tam on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if I was playing God

I'm pretty sure I'd be throwing balls of fire at cities, impregnating virgin women, and flooding the world

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I'll be sure to tell that to the kids at Nemours.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Many forms of modern medicine is playing God. I doubt Organ Transplants were in the original blueprints.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Well in that case we've been playing god since we started creating inoculations, so why stop now?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    why stop indeed

Tam on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so what if we're playing god

it'll be fun.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Many forms of modern medicine is playing God. I doubt Organ Transplants were in the original blueprints.

I realize this

It doesn't mean I agree with it

But whatever, might as well not stop now, you guys are right

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i genuinely think this is a good thing. i'm (and this is perfectly sincere) totally for playing god.

the way i see it is, as long as it doesn't ultimately harm us/the planet, it's okay. if we can build a better herring then let's do that.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Basically, the phrase "playing God" is really stupid and only used to demonize something without addressing the actual issue!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yes this is why I want someone to answer my question from the first page :(

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does this mean we are closer to making Humanimals a reality?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So does this mean my childhood dream of becoming a Blade Runner can come to actual fruition?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is one heck of a door. It isn't new life, but it is pretty much the beginning of sci-fi style genetically engineering stuff to be all different with wings and shit.

First bacteria that are coded to decompose trash with more fuel as the result.

Then bacteria coded to hide in plastic and eat flesh when in direct contact.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    me am make fire with sticks!

ME AM PLAY GODS

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    seriously

VERETAS: BLADE RUNNER

let's make it happen

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does this mean we can create penis enlargement treatments that actually work?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Basically, the phrase "playing God" is really stupid and only used to demonize something without addressing the actual issue!

Exactly! Potentially harming people, violating human rights or the environment, THOSE are issues. Playing the part of some possibly existent creator figure really isn't

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

They better make Humicorns first.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not that worried about the ethical implications of this. We've been breeding animals and plants into warped, unnatural forms for centuries.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    I'm not that worried about the ethical implications of this. We've been breeding animals and plants into warped, unnatural forms for centuries.

Those kitties in glass jars.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

They better make Humicorns first.

We should email Hussie STAT.

And then send those scientists a link to Humanimals and a simple declaration: MAKE IT HAPPEN

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Next step: Shoggoths.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »

this is essentially why I avoided using the term in my original post

it's nebulous at best and stupid at worst

I just wonder, if we get to the point where we can genetically modify humans, where's that line, the line between making it so you never get cancer, and making it so you look exactly the way your parents want you to, finding the genetic markers for homosexuality and overwriting them, etc

would it destroy individuality? is that bad? who ate my schnitzel?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

yeah exactly

see: grafting

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    yes this is why I want someone to answer my question from the first page :(

From what I can tell in the article, the only ethical question here is whether or not these scientists should be changing the intended function of a cell. They aren't creating life, they're just modifying it to serve their purpose, to create stuff like virus vaccines and eco-friendly fuels.

EDIT: Oh, and as stated a few times already, there's some fear that scientists might be able to modify cells to serve as bioweapons... But that's a little beyond the scope of what's been done here.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

yeah exactly

see: grafting

or pugs

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wait so what are the implications of this technology that make it a bad thing or a good thing?

Good thing:

The real interesting stuff will start when people are able to use this technique to generate and grow things like stem cells from exisiting organic materials. You could use it help people with damaged or deteriorating diseases of the nervous system like Parkinson's.

Bad thing:

The most dangerous thing would be introducing a bacteria cell into an environment that isn't prepared for it, and having that cell multiply at an uncontrolled rate. Remember the episode of the Simpsons where Bart brings his frog to Australia? That kind of thing could happen when people get ideas like 'let's engineer a bacteria that can break down plastics and oils", and then the bacteria makes its way into the wild or gets flushed into the ocean. It then starts adapating and breaking down other materials, or makes it more difficult for plant life to grow, or makes the water even more toxic for other animals.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wait so what are the implications of this technology that make it a bad thing or a good thing?
    Well, a very long-term issue I think would be the creation or alteration of new life. Like, if you create a new species whole-cloth or modify one so that it is sufficiently different from the existing species, can you claim ownership over it? Since it's a synthetic being, do animal protection rights apply to it? Can you patent it and use it however you want? Are there certain changes we shouldn't be allowed to make? Who gets to decide what is and is not allowable, or dangerous, or useful, or whatever?

It's not that the technology itself would be bad or good, but how it's used. Think of it how people saw the rise of nuclear power/weaponry back in the day.

I mean that is a pretty long-off and far-fetched situation, but it's one example off the top of my head.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    in this thread I ask unoriginal questions about the ethics of genetic research

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010

This is kind of cooler though, because that is like throwing lots of different meat in a pot for a few hours and calling it stew compared to meticulously measuring how much of each meat and the spices involved to create something real specefic.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Humanity has much to answer for bringing the Affenpinscher into existence.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ooooooh those are some great and very well-worded answers, guys

cheers

shoe at least MY unoriginal question generated some GOOD answers so NYEH

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bad thing:

The most dangerous thing would be introducing a bacteria cell into an environment that isn't prepared for it, and having that cell multiply at an uncontrolled rate. Remember the episode of the Simpsons where Bart brings his frog to Australia? That kind of thing could happen when people get ideas like 'let's engineer a bacteria that can break down plastics and oils", and then the bacteria makes its way into the wild or gets flushed into the ocean.

Another example is how kudzu went wild in the Deep South.

Somebody brought kudzu seeds over from Japan, next thing you know the kudzu's strangling the existing plants by growing over it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ooooooh those are some great and very well-worded answers, guys

cheers

shoe at least MY unoriginal question generated some GOOD answers so NYEH

you smell

there's a good answer for you

take it to the bank

the smell bank

it is the only bank that will have you

because you smell

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Or Japanese beetles from japan to America.

Man fuck Japan's ecosystem.

HellaJeff on