As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT'S ALIVE

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shank seriously if you care so much about these people maybe you should send them your money instead of buying hundred dollar shirts

Skull Man on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheri where do you even live right now because I do kinda want some donuts and I've ahd a car for a while so i can go places

but not a lot of cashdollars

Raneados on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    okay everyone shut up about donuts for like, an hour

Javen on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    Sheri where do you even live right now because I do kinda want some donuts and I've ahd a car for a while so i can go places

Champion's Gate, for now

Sheri on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any good "corporations" have done has absolutely been outweighed by all the evil they have created and are constantly perpetrating in the world, sorry. A token donation to a small town does not balance out training death squads in South America, stealing African aquifers, using child labour, using sweat-shop labour, etc. It just doesn't.

Right, because treating people like dirt didn't exist before big corporations. Get real.

Every major society and every major form of government has done plenty of deplorable shit throughout all of human history. If you fault big corporations, you need to hold every thing to the same standard, and everything would fail.

You're right, it would! I believe that humanity is certainly better off than it was under agrarian dictatorships, feudalism, and the various economic systems that followed that. But I believe there is a far more humane, and much BETTER solution than Capitalism! There are people working towards that, but like I said, its not happening fast enough. I am doing what I can here to help, so I am not just words, here.

That's good because in truth, a corporation cannot be bad because a corporation isn't really anything. It's the people who run it (same as the politicians in any government) that make it bad.

Get good people to run it, and good things can happen.

The organization and structure of a corporation are designed such that it's very easy for a corporation to shirk its moral responsibilities in favor of the overriding responsibility to make money for its share holders.

Conversely the shareholders are not held responsible for the actions of the corporation, they simply collect its profits at the end of the day.

It's a system that lends itself to abuse, and makes it very easy to do things that if an individual person were to attempt them would be immoral and irresponsible, perhaps criminally so.

Brolo on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm reaching that point where my eyes glaze over and i feel dumb

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    guys i don't think you fully realize that we'll be able to create fucking LIFE in like 5 fucking years

never mind that artificial intelligence robot bullllllshit

we'll be making things that are ACTUALLY alive

and the religions of the world will fucking FLIP. OUT.

if you give robots a brain, they are alive

nah

life is pretty specifically defined.

Hell, Sperm aren't even alive.

well then it's sapient and deserves all the rights of a living being

Absolutely!

I still find it amazing that we'll able to straight up create life from nothing in a lab faster than your thinking butler robits

it's a surprising development

but it's not creating life from nothing
    even if we do it from scratch

we have the benefit of being able to decode billions of years of evolution
    all the heavy lifting has been done

oh wait no, never mind, I see what you're talking about
    midnight trying watercolor for the first time brain no work so good

Tam on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    not to defend sweatshops but doesn't the money a lot of them pay their workers make them VASTLY more wealthy, comparatively, for their region?

I'm not talking about the sugar plantations that force people to spend what little they have in company-owned stores with jacked-up prices

I mean it's not a United States defined minimum wage, but the cost of living in the US is astronomical compared to the cost of living in areas with sweatshops

republican party.jpg

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

Mmmm

Glazed donuts

Sheri on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheri wrote: »

Champion's Gate, for now

what the fuck is that

sounds like a place where people have duels and chariot races

Raneados on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Oh I see how it is Javen.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Champion's Gate, for now

what the fuck is that

man, I wish

Javen on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    corporations are entities

entities in themselvse are not bad

but the individuals using that entity or involved in that entity can certainly make it a good thing or a bad thing

that is, a corporation is answerable to share holders

and those share holders dictate how the corporation behaves by buying or selling the corporation's shares

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Champion's Gate, for now

what the fuck is that

Not as cool

Exit 58 on I-4

Kinda 'round Davenport?

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    not to defend sweatshops but doesn't the money a lot of them pay their workers make them VASTLY more wealthy, comparatively, for their region?

I'm not talking about the sugar plantations that force people to spend what little they have in company-owned stores with jacked-up prices

I mean it's not a United States defined minimum wage, but the cost of living in the US is astronomical compared to the cost of living in areas with sweatshops

republican party.jpg

good argument

Raneados on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

Oh I see how it is Javen.

He doesn't like donuts.

Damn communist. Screw the people I want my apple fritter.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Teefs I really wish you wouldn't do the whole capitalization of phrases for emphasis thing, it adds nothing to your posts and generally adds a patronizing tone.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't even eat donuts all that often

in fact I think it's been more than a month since the last time I ate a donut

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man I wish Shipley Do-nuts was open all night

Tam on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »

That said, it is not corporations that make capitalism or, really, the status quo bad, but individuals with influence and power using influence and power badly
    See no, I heavily disagree. Corporations create a heirarchy of unelected (by the actual Public, not the 1% of the population who own stocks and shares) bureaucrats that have a serious say in everybody's life. Capitalism is a Bad System, even if you discount these "individuals".

Capitalism creates plutocracies, even if you have these super nice people running it. I have a serious problem with that.

Regarding what Vivi said, if the system (capitalism) has a strong running in corrupting the fuck out of people because money makes them not give a shit for anyone but themselves, it's a flawed system.

Henroid on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    The organization and structure of a corporation are designed such that it's very easy for a corporation to shirk its moral responsibilities in favor of the overriding responsibility to make money for its share holders.

Conversely the shareholders are not held responsible for the actions of the corporation, they simply collect its profits at the end of the day.

It's a system that lends itself to abuse, and makes it very easy to do things that if an individual person were to attempt them would be immoral and irresponsible, perhaps criminally so.
    This is reasoning I can get behind, actually, but these corporations only have an easy time shirking those moral responsibilities because they currently exist within a capitalist environment.

So, really, capitalism is the problem because it is the context and encompassing mentality that encapsulates everything else. A corporation existing outside a capitalist system is hard to imagine but it may not behave the same way!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Capitalism in itself is not a bad economic theory; people work for something, and they reap the benefits. That's a fair system.

Modern Capitalism however isn't a fair system, in that people who work for something and get insanely rich off of it can manage to completely fuck over the other people working for something.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I haven't had a donut since PAXEast

And before that, I don't even know

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Mmmm

Glazed donuts

you could say my brain has been heavily sprinkled with factoids

frosted with moral issues

given a creamy filling of genuine concern.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

This is reasoning I can get behind, actually.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    Modern Capitalism however is a bad theory, in that people who work for something and get insanely rich off of it can manage to completely fuck over the other people working for something.

that's always been capitalism

Tam on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I am buying so many donuts when I get back to having access to my car.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's been a long, long time since I had a decent donut.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Mmmm

Glazed donuts

That last one was kind of creepy

Sheri on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Capitalism in itself is not a bad economic theory; people work for something, and they get paid for it.

Modern Capitalism however is a bad theory, in that people who work for something and get insanely rich off of it can manage to completely fuck over the other people working for something.

That first bit doesn't really encompass capitalism.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Mmmm

Glazed donuts

That last one was kind of creepy

:D

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Capitalism in itself is not a bad economic theory; people work for something, and they get paid for it.

that's always been capitalism

There's no such thing as drawing a line at some point in capitalism and saying, "Hey you, your not allowed to make anymore money because others need a fair share/chance".

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Krispy Kreme profits are down 20% in australia.

I think this is people realising they don't want to be fat.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Champion's Gate, for now

what the fuck is that

Not as cool

Exit 58 on I-4

Kinda 'round Davenport?

hey that's not that far

sheri when i get some time + cash we will go get donuts

don't bring Javen

Raneados on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Really, any system that someone thinks up will only work long enough for someone to figure out how to benefit most from it and fuck it up.

That's human nature.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Krispy Kreme profits are down 20% in australia.

I think this is people realising they don't want to be fat.

but they are so delicious!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the world needs Shipley Do-nuts more than it needs Krispy Kreme

Tam on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    shank seriously if you care so much about these people maybe you should send them your money instead of buying hundred dollar shirts

I mean I feel like those people living on like nickels a day would really appreciate the cash

but I guess you gotta look good when you're holding up signs or getting the word out or signing petitions or whatever it is you're doing to show that you care about the "cessation of your fellow man"

Skull Man on