As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Procrastinating by making a school thread, I think this is ironic or something?

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh i thought you meant no more homework forever.

Muse Among Men on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh i thought you meant no more homework forever.

there is guaranteed to be no homework in those days!

unintentional on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    decided what you're doing next, unin?

Addendum: Gosh I dislike double integrals of all flavours.

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    decided what you're doing next, unin?

Addendum: Gosh I dislike double integrals of all flavours.

I'm torn between going to the University of Winnipeg and the University of Manitoba.
    Winnipeg has smaller class sizes and a lot of my friends are going there, but Manitoba would probably have more opportunity for scholarships and music.

I don't have to decide right away though, tuition is actually due in like three months :P

also double integrals sound very unpleasant

unintentional on
    edited June 2010
    Also kind of annoying: Going through the derivation of something in a problem to realise you've just proved the general rule that you already knew and could have started with.

Double integrals start off fairly simple (it's literally just integrating twice), but get quite complicated quickly with surface and volume integrals and transferring to polar coordinates and such.

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    Also kind of annoying: Going through the derivation of something in a problem to realise you've just proved the general rule that you already knew and could have started with.

Double integrals start off fairly simple (it's literally just integrating twice), but get quite complicated quickly with surface and volume integrals and transferring to polar coordinates and such.

Well I figured that much, but when integrating just once can turn a function into a clusterfuck I don't want to think about what might happen if you integrate that and then that and then that

unintentional on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woo school's done, ~97%ish on most of my finals, and my macbook pro for college got here today. life's good although I don't know how to do a lot with this thing and I lost most of my music fuuuuuuck

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For those of you leaving high school: Get into uni/college/trade school/etc ASAP.

You get dumb fast in the real world. Example: I should be studying for a big test happening in 10hrs.

Caveman Paws on
    edited June 2010
    Exams have really kind of sneaked (why does that world always seem so wrong) up on me and now I'm sort of fucked for the second half of my maths stuff, but I have a week to study my next 2 exams which are more important so I have no excuses then.

L|ama on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have to engage in the delicate balancing act between studying for my exam, writing the assignment due on the same day, and my inevitable hours upon hours of procrastination over the next three days.

I should be fin,e but it does make me want to punch myself every minute of the day.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    double integrals with polar coordinates and stuff is calc 3 material, I thought you were farther along in your track llama?

Squall on
    edited June 2010
    today my day of high school is

-Go to school for 1:15
    -Watch The Simpsons in English class
    -Take an easy band test

then I come home and we are going out to my brand new cottage this evening. Gonna be a good day :)

unintentional on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For those of you leaving high school: Get into uni/college/trade school/etc ASAP.

You get dumb fast in the real world. Example: I should be studying for a big test happening in 10hrs.

Oh gosh. Not doing that right away. Any tips on how to stay focused and not dumb the fuck out.

Muse Among Men on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Oh gosh. Not doing that right away. Any tips on how to stay focused and not dumb the fuck out.

d'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh

nope.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Hmmph :|

Our history group has to do a live presentation Monday. What are we doing? We are reacting events from this decade. How? WINGING IT. We meet Monday and hope for the best.

Muse Among Men on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Have a concrete plan for getting back into school (AND APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID) after your year off or whatever. Stick to it.

Otherwise it will turn into meeehhhh I'll just wait another semester, eehhhh what's one more, etc...

Suddenly you're 30 working overnight stock so you can be home in the day to take care of your 3 fatherless gangbanger babies that steal from your purse for baby-drugs!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Oh no, crack-babies D:

I still have a full school year to plan, so I am going to try to not sweat it so much, but I do want to do something worthwhile beyond work and some classes at the CC. And perhaps something not so dull either, because the routine I just described doesn't sound that great.

Muse Among Men on
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I waited a semester, and I'm doing just fine!

Of course I'm going to a community college rather than the state university I was accepted to at first. And my financial aid dropped from $8,000 to $500. And I got a C. At community college. And...

Moral of the story, just make sure you keep your brain going by reading educational books or something, and have a plan that you won't veer off track of. You should be fine.

VoproSTEIN on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got dumb over half a week. So kinda glad I didn't end up taking a gap year.

Though it was really because I screwed myself up last half of last year and didn't get into my desired course and didn't really want to spend two more years than I needed to.

Hopefully I can get this job that is on offer at the Art Gallery this break, I need the money, and something to do.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
    edited June 2010
    I'm taking the gap year because I really don't know what I'd like to do, I haven't taken the SATs (didn't know I could this year), don't have a clue about what college I'd like to attend, don't have any impressive extracurriculars/achievements/community involvement to my name, and my grades are just fine. I have all A's except one class, which is likely going to be a C or D. I've pretty much parceled all my energies and emotional attention to keeping up my grades and I've let my other priorities slip past because it would have just been too much to worry about, and I was stressing fierce on my limited set. I'm hoping to make up for it in my senior year, hence the gap year. Thankfully, due to the new schedule being implemented

It does come with it's own set of worries. What can I do that will keep me out of the house long enough (otherwise I'd go crazy), that will allow me opportunities to engage in meaningful social contact (else I'd become lonely) and that will keep me mentally fit? What can I do in my area (I doubt I can travel to Africa and build houses in that time)? How do I budget my income (considering I find/keep work)? What will happen to my health coverage?

Actually the last one may not be so bad as my parents made my sign a document forfeiting my medical privacy so whatever.

Muse Among Men on
    edited June 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    double integrals with polar coordinates and stuff is calc 3 material, I thought you were farther along in your track llama?

Evidently not! We didn't do any multivariable stuff in first year, then 2nd year maths is split into discrete (barf), multivar calc, mathematical methods (differential equations, basically) and algebra.
    We also do more complex stuff in physics, we only went over line integrals of 2-dimensional conservative fields instead of talking about curl properly in maths even though we did it in physics.

The exam went pretty alright, I fucked up a few things but answered everything.

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    signing up for first year of university, and it's looking like I won't have a class before 10:30AM all year long

unintentional on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I haven't been in school for like 4 years, going back in the fall.

I'm not too worried about how dumb I've become.

Al_wat on
    edited June 2010
    Are you doing anything mathsy?

signing up for first year of university, and it's looking like I won't have a class before 10:30AM all year long

what classes you got

L|ama on
    edited June 2010

what classes you got

intro chem, intro physics, biostats, a couple other bio and chem courses, macro economics, intro to logic.
    I'm doing a biochem degree.

(This is assuming I get everything I ask for...super-early registration opens tomorrow and I think I'm in the first group because of high school marks)

The annoying thing is I don't know if I can skip some things due to AP yet. I'm calling them tomorrow before registration opens

unintentional on
    edited June 2010
    There is a little bit of mathsy type stuff. But nothing hardcore.

Seriously the most mathy stuff is:

"Mathematics 1"

"Power Eng Applied Science"

"Power Eng Practical/Calc 1"

I'm going to annihilate this program. (Its basically a trade - I've taken real engineering at a university before. Intellectually this is a joke compared to what I've done before)

P.S. There is nothing more annoying that writing a post out and hitting "back" by accident. FFFFUUU

Al_wat on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For those of you leaving high school: DON'T get into uni/college/trade school/etc ASAP.

It is a waste of money and chances are you are already an idiot, go do something cool with your youth first and then go to University and learn how much smarter you are than otherl people

Franko on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you do really well at school, don't go and to medicine or law or whatever just because you can. If you actually want to do that, then go for it, but it really sucks to finish years of study then start a career that you hate! If you're going to work on something for 40+ hours a week, make sure it's something you enjoy.

Unless you just want to make mad money, but I don't think it's worth it.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited June 2010
    If you do really well at school, don't go and to medicine or law or whatever just because you can. If you actually want to do that, then go for it,

yes this is me

unintentional on
    edited June 2010

what classes you got

intro chem, intro physics, biostats, a couple other bio and chem courses, macro economics, intro to logic.
    I'm doing a biochem degree.

(This is assuming I get everything I ask for...super-early registration opens tomorrow and I think I'm in the first group because of high school marks)

The annoying thing is I don't know if I can skip some things due to AP yet. I'm calling them tomorrow before registration opens

jeez what's it with you biochem people

my sister's bf, you, that australian guy in the PA IRC

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    what you think you want to do when you are just finishing highschool, and what you want to do 5 years later can be pretty drastically different.

That said, totally go for your biochem degree, that sounds awesome. If you actually want to continue and do medical school... you'll know thats what you want by the time it gets to be decision time.

Al_wat on
    edited June 2010
    If you do really well at school, don't go and to medicine or law or whatever just because you can. If you actually want to do that, then go for it, but it really sucks to finish years of study then start a career that you hate! If you're going to work on something for 40+ hours a week, make sure it's something you enjoy.

Unless you just want to make mad money, but I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah I'm pretty glad my parents didn't push me to do med or engineering or something because I would probably hate it and do shit at it just to get back at them

doing physics is great because I like it + it seems to be a pretty decent degree for getting jobs with also

L|ama on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I should probably figure out what I want to study

almost time to apply to colleges

BugBoy on
    edited June 2010
    I went into engineering right out of highschool because I felt like I had to take the hardest program I could, what with being pretty smart and everything. Also the fact that my Dad is an engineer, my brother is an engineer... my grandpa was a surgeon + like 1000 other super distinguished things.

2.5 years of doing no work or studying and getting 50's and I was out of there. In retrospect I wish I just took biology or something easier, but still interesting to me. I had the intelligence but nowhere near the motivation at the time needed for engineering.

Al_wat on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can choose to do what makes you happy now or you can choose to do what makes you happy later

it's all about when you want to be happy and for how long, I guess

Charles Kinbote on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bombadier are you schoolin to be a pilot or ATC operator?

Either way we should chat pilot stuff and my dad would probably like you

He was once in an inverted nose dive with a MiG-28

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited June 2010
    Honestly my plan right now is making me pretty happy.

Going to do this 2 year tradeschool thing for Power Engineering. Will give me a relatively high paying job right off the bat (I have researched this - massive amounts of their workforce is retiring right now, I know other people working for the companies, can work for power companies, oil companies out west, etc etc), work that for a while (10 years or more, who knows?).

Then if I really want to do something else, I will be financially sound enough that I can do it.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Al_wat on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I completed a mechanical/aerospace engineering double degree, pretty much because I could and it sounded pretty cool. I actually wanted to do programming or something, but I was expecting a score from school that was WAY higher than computer science or whatever required so decided not to do that.

Turns out, the aerospace industry in this country is tiny, and I ended up working in building services. Hated it, got GFC'd, and in July I'm returning to uni to study computer science.

So hurrah for following your dreams, I guess.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited June 2010
    POWER ENGINEERING

LIKE NORMAL ENGINEERING, BUT POWER...ER

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    Its actually not even real "engineering".

Its a trade.

e: But "biological engineering", which is what I was taking in university a while back, is totally "real" engineering.

Al_wat on
This discussion has been closed.