As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: 4 months in, feeling old yet?

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Random pic time:

Mass_Effect_Romance_by_Mione1.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A xenophilia.

I don't think that word is being used correctly.

or is it?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How is Ashley more religious than Liara? Liara's always appealing to her crazy false pagan alien goddess.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the movie should star Conrad Verner

i dare you to make an argument against

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah..."religious nut"? Really? She basically says, "I look at the universe and see proof of God." And...that's pretty much it. Have the standards for being a fanatic been drastically lowered?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    it's because she's human and people are self-haters

i have never once seen someone get all up in Thane's grill for his constant religious references

Shepard can't even go "lol your beliefs are stupid so shutup and listen to me" like she can with Ash

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    -Tal wrote: »

The movie will be about a movie-within-a-movie, in which Conrad Verner plays Commander Shepard in a historical drama "based on the true story" of Shepard's adventures.

In an attempt to springboard off the success of Elcor Hamlet, the producers insist Wrex be written as an Elcor instead of a Krogan.

Due to lingering racism against Quarians, Tali is a Volus.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Popesnax wrote: »
    How is Ashley more religious than Liara? Liara's always appealing to her crazy false pagan alien goddess.

Because some people take one of a characters many traits or a particular trait they don't care for and exaggerate it to a ridiculous proportion, so that way it's easier to insist they are an indisputably bad character.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stilts wrote: »
    Yeah..."religious nut"? Really? She basically says, "I look at the universe and see proof of God." And...that's pretty much it. Have the standards for being a fanatic been drastically lowered?

I think it says an awful lot more of the person making the observation, but that's just me.

Having read some more Cerberus news updates, I wonder if some of this stuff will make it into Mass Effect 3? I'd be sort of fun to run into a Krogan quarterback or rich heiress who faked being her sister.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Have the standards for being a fanatic been drastically lowered?

Well, I got the impression from Ashley's defensiveness about it that in the Mass Effect universe they actually have been lowered to the point that not being an agnostic or atheist is considered strange and possibly dangerous.

However in real life no its just people overreacting because Ashley was written with character flaws (not that theism is a character flaw but in terms of the mass effect universe... you know what I mean right)

Popesnax on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

No. It must star Blasto.

Orca on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

A MILLION TIMES THIS

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well, I got the impression from Ashley's defensiveness about it that in the Mass Effect universe they actually have been lowered to the point that not being an agnostic or atheist is considered strange and possibly dangerous.

However in real life no its just people overreacting because Ashley was written with character flaws (not that theism is a character flaw but in terms of the mass effect universe... you know what I mean right)

she only acts defensive if you get offensive about it

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm extremely apprehensive about a Mass Effect movie. The only way it could possibly work is if it's not about Shepard.

Also, I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say Shepard is a female. Shepard is clearly a tall, lantern jawed man with black hair.:D

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

From what I recall Shepard's just like "you're religious?" and she's like "YES GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT" and then gets a little bit in your face about it even if you take the paragon option (the one that isn't "why yes I am also religious)

Either way though it is not like she is Fred Phelps in Space.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    I'm extremely apprehensive about a Mass Effect movie. The only way it could possibly work is if it's not about Shepard.

Also, I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say Shepard is a female. Shepard is clearly a tall, lantern jawed man with black hair.:D

Hair? There is no hair in space.

Or in UE3.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think Bioware didn't really know how to handle the topic of religion IN SPACE. I mean, in Revelation pretty much every religion self destructs when OMG, "aliens exist!" That's not how religion works, in fact, I'd expect it to actually increase as a result of something so dramatic as finding aliens exist. To put it another way, many thought "primitive" cultures and their religions would collapse with the presence of modern technology. Turns out that was pretty much Eurocentrism from the opposite extremes, (i.e. poor backwater natives and their superstitions can't handle modern society) For the most part, they just adapt any new discovery into their existing beliefs and move on. It's why Hindus have "Soap Operas of the Gods" on TV, it combines religion with technology.

As proof, pretty much every other species has their own religion and are perfectly fine with being high tech, civilized societies. It's only humanity that has pushed it to the sidelines. That being said, it's not completely gone. Judaism and Christianity are still around as witnessed by Kate and Cerberus News, and the Turians like Confucism and Zen Buddhism.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's an interesting topic since I almost had a minor in comparative religions.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

From what I recall Shepard's just like "you're religious?" and she's like "YES GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT" and then gets a little bit in your face about it even if you take the paragon option (the one that isn't "why yes I am also religious)

i'm pretty sure she references God in conversation then meekly says, "that's not a problem, is it? that I believe in God?" and then comes Shepard's response

the paragon option goes something like "you know the term no atheists in foxholes, well i've been in a lot of foxholes" and Ash is all "ok cool theist high five"

atheism or agnosticism is also not the norm in the ME universe because we see many different alien religions and some who adopt ours

I better see a Jewish Turian i tell you

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Turian councilor is a Scientologist.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

i'm pretty sure she references God in conversation then meekly says, "that's not a problem, is it? that I believe in God?" and then comes Shepard's response

the paragon option goes something like "you know the term no atheists in foxholes, well i've been in a lot of foxholes" and Ash is all "ok cool theist high five"

I think there are three possible responses. "I believe in god too" "Don't let it interfere with the mission" and "what are you a fanatic?"

Ashley is really a perfectly reasonable character, her faith is not fanatic and her mistrust of aliens is greatly exaggerated.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »

I think there are three possible responses. "I believe in god too" "Don't let it interfere with the mission" and "what are you a fanatic?"

Ashley is really a perfectly reasonable character, and her mistrust of aliens and her faith are greatly exaggerated.

I could have sworn "I believe in god too" was the fourth option, on the upper-left, while the upper-right option was also paragon but didn't commit the player to being a theist.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Ashley is really a perfectly reasonable character, and her mistrust of aliens and her faith are greatly exaggerated.

I could have sworn "I believe in god too" was the fourth option, on the upper-left, while the upper-right option was also paragon but didn't commit the player to being a theist.

I may have not remembered it correctly, I think the second Paragon option was more like. "I have no problem with you believing in god, I'm not here to judge. so long as it doesn't interfere with your duties, we'll be fine"

Ad astra on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only thing that really threw me off is that usually game designers avoid mentioning a characters' religion at all, unless it's a fake religion or it's inherent to the character (like a priest). Usually they're left blank to not offend anyone and/or let people project their own prejudices, so even hearing a small mention of religious beliefs ends up sounding like a lot.

Scooter on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One of the big problems with a game like Mass Effect is that the designers are intentionally trying to avoid passing judgements. Its the whole problem with Paragon/Renegade - they can't make one approach definitively not work out, because it ends up being interpreted as a direct message by the developer about what they think about that choice.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so i've been catching up on the cerberus daily news

and i just have to say

if binary helix wants to tangle with the urdnots

commander shepard is going to take them apart.

DEAR GOD I WANT A DLC MISSION DOING JUST THAT

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5546778/mass-effect-the-movie-is-really-happening

All I'll say is I hope they get Garrus, Tali, and Wrex's game VAs to supply the voices. No reason that they couldn't.

I know I should be happy.

But I can't trust Hollywood not to fuck this up.

Also, as someone said. Liara will probably have a big part in it...*sigh*

Edit: Yeah, the galaxy news updates are pretty fun.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    there's no inherent problem with Liara

in fact this is an opportunity for them to un-fuck-up the character

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    there's no inherent problem with Liara

in fact this is an opportunity for them to un-fuck-up the character

Maybe.

But if I hear just one "Embrace Eternity" so help me God...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They should have some cameos from characters like Tali or Wrex in the film, but it should not be about Shepard.

And they definitely can't skimp on the budget, it has to have top notch special effects.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I figured it out guys!

How the Reapers will be defeated!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hope they go mostly practical for the Krogan, something along the lines of Where the Wild Things Are. Same with the Turians.

If I just wanted to see those aliens in CG I'd play the game.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the problem I have with setting it in the First Contact War is that's too generic humans vs. aliens

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DHS wrote: »
    I hope they go mostly practical for the Krogan, something along the lines of Where the Wild Things Are. Same with the Turians.

Weta would be a good choice, they could probably do some awesome practical effects for the Alien characters.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At least they already have someone to play Shepard.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I figured it out guys!

How the Reapers will be defeated!

You mean the Volus?

Popesnax on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Someone in the comments on kotaku actually had a pretty good idea, that wouldnt have to involve anyone from the games.

Have it set during the First Contact war between the humans and the turians.

But then everyone will bitch about lack of Garrus, Tali, and Wrex.

Myself included.
    DHS wrote: »

You see District 9?

Do it like that.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am a little disturbed about this.

I mean, Bioware making a video game will be good. Hollywood taking that video game and making a movie...that's...alarming. Historically it does not turn out well.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The general notion (which no doubt led to this project moving forward) is that Prince of Persia will cause many producers to open their eyes and take videogame adaptions more seriously.

I'm inclined to believe this, although I hope PoP ends up better than its commercials (which make it look more generic than it should be).

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really have no desire to see them rehash ME1 on the big screen. Mass Effect as a universe has TONS of room for growth. Go create some original characters and think up a cool new adventure. Leave Shepard and her/his compatriots where they belong--in games where there is no canon story except the one you create.

I'm not necessarily saying that Bioware is going to license the movie as 'official canon'. In fact I'm sure they won't, but it's still annoying nonetheless. They've done a good job up till now of keeping the novels and comics Shepard-neutral, allowing you to feel like your character is THE Shepard. A movie adaptation would kind of fly in the face of that.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok, I have figured out what they need to do.

Neill Blomkamp. Director of District 9. Also did stuff like this for Halo.

He could probably pull it off, provided he gets a solid script. Plus, dude clearly knows how to use CG within a budget.

electricitylikesme on