As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: 4 months in, feeling old yet?

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mentioned that, at least as far as how the aliens should look.

I am still shocked and appalled Microsoft hasn't begged this guy to resume the Halo movie, offering him three times his salary and all the hookers he could ever want.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mentioned that, at least as far as how the aliens should look.

I am still shocked and appalled Microsoft hasn't begged this guy to resume the Halo movie, offering him three times his salary and all the hookers he could ever want.

This post is full of excellent ideas.

electricitylikesme on
  • narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I finally broke down and made a maleshep in ME1 just to get away from Liara (she's just...bland.)

Ashley seemed kinda cool, if a little anti-alien. NBD. I thought.

OMG. When the two confronted me, and Ash's bitchiness crescendoed, I wanted to space her :P

Needless to say, unlike prior playthroughs, Virmire held no real loss for me.

So on to ME2...with the full intention of seeing what that white and black leather had underneath it (since my femShep (only REAL Shep) was staying loyal to Liara...because I can't do the dudes...thats just gross...)

And then Tali did her little whoop of excitement...and it was all over. Yeah, I realize the Talimancers are pretty frickin weird (really just pathetic I think)...But I gotta say Im looking forward to ME3 and where they take these.

Both Sheps so far have been soldiers...now to try the infiltrator, as the only weapon I've used was the widow anyhow.

I'm drooling at a Liara/Shadowbroker DLC. If they "bridge the gap" with DLC, I'll pony up the cash.

Mass Effect should start a genre dammit. More games like this, not just one fricking franchise. DAO is cool...but it seems to be missing something...I didn't CARE as much about my character. Hoping Bioware can go 3 for 3.

narvinye on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's nearly 3 am and half my brain is offline and I still have a distinct belief that any video game becoming a movie, whether it be ME, Halo, Wow, what have you.. movies are an entirely different take on the source material. I don't even want to imagine how the director intends to develop a romance for presumably default maleshep, let alone how he intends to explain the entire arc of events from humanity's start on the galactic stage and Shepard vs Saren from ME1 to the eventual Reaper murderfest to come in ME3. Not too mention including stuff to do with every race and every squad member and perhaps even more involving characters like the Council and Aria and the merc gangs and Cerberus and everything else.

If it works somehow, hooray, if it doesn't which is more likely in my opinion, hopefully it will more permanently distance Hollywood's corrupting monetary influence from our cherished genres.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Garrus is the fucking man. Besides completely being my bro (his entrance to Normandy with male Shepard was awesome and hilarious), he makes the best comments. Like on Tuchanka, in response to Shepard asking where are good places to fight - "Gardens, electronics store. Antique shops, too, but only if they're classy."

And, of course, the elevator comment in the Citadel.

I'm really glad that Shepard actually takes part, if only briefly, in those little side conversation.

Graviija on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nobodies mentioned Seth Green yet?

For shame

Dox the PI on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't like the movie idea any more than you do, but:

i took the opportunity to show my mother the launch trailer for ME2, and she watched it, turned to me, and asked when it would be in theaters.

there's an audience out there that just does not get into games, but can appreciate a good story. if the guys in charge of this project can somehow distill the basic story, i don't think i'll mind too much if certain decisions are made in the process.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited May 2010
    i don't like the movie idea any more than you do, but:

i took the opportunity to show my mother the launch trailer for ME2, and she watched it, turned to me, and asked when it would be in theaters.

there's an audience out there that just does not get into games, but can appreciate a good story. if the guys in charge of this project can somehow distill the basic story, i don't think i'll mind too much if certain decisions are made in the process.

Getting the new audience is what video game movies are all about

If I walked down the street and ask a random what tomb raider is they'll most likely say "A movie"

Alienating the old audience is something they have yet to perfect.

Dox the PI on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They shouldn't have Benezia in the film at all. :P

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They shouldn't have Benezia in the film at all. :P

Her chest will take up half the screen :mrgreen:

Dox the PI on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Nobodies mentioned Seth Green yet?

For shame

Seth Green to play Commander Shepard in Mass Effect: The Movie.

Yesss.

Rainfall on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In other game to movie news, here's something you don't see everyday: a game designer moving to film.

http://kotaku.com/5546947/half+life-2-artist-working-on-feature-film-and-game

The movie sounds pretty interesting, too.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In other game to movie news, here's something you don't see everyday: a game designer moving to film.

That seems like a somewhat logical move actually. Especially when you listen to the way Valve approach their development in the developer commentary - it's incredibly impressive.

electricitylikesme on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure which aspect of Mass Effect they could really want to turn into a movie. The idea behind Shepard is really ...campy? It works well as a video game role where the PC has to be an über soldier who's special. In films those roles tend to end up as very generic action heroes.

An actor punching someone in-game doesn't work the same as something PC controlled. The background needs to be more like Anderson clocking Udina in ME1.

But the ME universe is pretty fleshed out, I'm sure they can come up with something that doesn't seem too contrived or campy.

President Rex on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    they have Muzyka, Zeschuk, and Hudson as executive producers, though

does that happen often with VG films

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hm. Not so interested in a Mass Effect film. While I love the universe, it's one which begets exploring, not just being shown. And besides, any Shepherd and accompanying story won't be my Shepherd. The only way it could really be interesting to players of the game would be if it showed some other tale from the ME universe, and didn't interfere with others' runs. Plus, hollywood movie of a game, etc etc.

EddieDean on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you want Shepard to punch the Krogan, press one!
    If you want Shepard to flirt with Ashley, press two!
    If you want Shepard to punch Ashley and flirt with the Krogan, press three!

SkutSkut on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to see a movie on what happened just after the First Contact War and the Council got the Turians to stand down, us moving onto the Citadel, etc. Maybe have Batarian Raiders gunning after a human planet or one of the Shepard Backstories as a finale?

Blurbl on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    Garrus is the fucking man. Besides completely being my bro (his entrance to Normandy with male Shepard was awesome and hilarious), he makes the best comments. Like on Tuchanka, in response to Shepard asking where are good places to fight - "Gardens, electronics store. Antique shops, too, but only if they're classy."

I'm really glad that Shepard actually takes part, if only briefly, in those little side conversation.

Garrus is the best. <3

Out of all the characters, his development between the games is best. Slightly idealistic do-gooder in the first one, pissed with all the restrictions...then depending on if you go renegade or paragon he models himself after you, but in the second game he's clearly his own man and there is mutual respect between the two.

Though I'm not sure if he has any difference between if you go paragon/renegade in the first game, because I could never bring myself to go for a paragon run.

DarkCrawler on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dammit, cannot catch a break with this insanity run. Trying to get a save with the renegade ending, but *someone* dies on the line. First it was Tali, so I took her over Kasumi for the last bit. Now it's Garrus. Guess I'll try without Zaeed next time.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Garrus is the best. <3

Out of all the characters, his development between the games is best. Slightly idealistic do-gooder in the first one, pissed with all the restrictions...then depending on if you go renegade or paragon he models himself after you, but in the second game he's clearly his own man and there is mutual respect between the two.

Though I'm not sure if he has any difference between if you go paragon/renegade in the first game, because I could never bring myself to go for a paragon run.

There no change whatsoever to Garrus depending on if you Paragoned or Renegaded him in ME1, execept for one or two lines. That and the fact you only had like 3 conversations with him as a Male Shep were my main letdowns for ME2, actually.

Blurbl on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Insanity run continues. I'm up to the dreaded platforms on the Collector ship, and have found out just how quickly you can die. Not really sure how to clear the first wave. Little cover, Harbinger pops in three seconds after the fight starts, and one of those damned Husk artillery pieces to boot. Thinking about Caining it up, but I've always felt the heavy weapons are cheating. Of course, the game tends to cheat on the higher difficulties...so yeah.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Garrus is the best. <3

I love the way that the play up how Garrus and Shepherd are bro's in ME2. Like when you first meet him and Shephard is all "Hey buddy!" and then later on you two have some banter when he gets back on the ship.
    When he get's shot on his recruitment mission I was all like "Don't worry bro I got you. Gonna get you fixed up and outta here right now."

Solar on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hopefully he does a better job than Chris Roberts. Who the hell ass-rapes their own game like that? You had live action in Wing Commander 3 and 4 and THAT was the cast you went with? Such a let down...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Chris Roberts had high ambitions but did NOT have the chops to pull it off.

Edit: Hell, just look at the videogames. You can see he was going for cinematic, but a lot of the scenes in the games alone were just plain painful, especially once computers had the hardware for full motion video. The Kilrathi look laaaame.

Orca on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    me2 just about works as a game, it will fail miserably as a movie.
    and whoever suggested matthew fox as a decent shep needs to be shot.

also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooAvXH_3XQ0

go to ~0:16. he's not n7 material. (boxing victory pose. man mosquito boobs. mmoobs?)

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Chris Roberts had high ambitions but did NOT have the chops to pull it off.

Edit: Hell, just look at the videogames. You can see he was going for cinematic, but a lot of the scenes in the games alone were just plain painful, especially once computers had the hardware for full motion video. The Kilrathi look laaaame.

But Biff as the Maniac was AWESOME. In fact, most of the cast was really good.

Edit: Yes the Kilrathi looked like puppets. Too bad that computer animation for people-like objects wasn't there yet...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Subucula TertiaSubucula Tertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Turian councilor is a Scientologist.

So Shepard is Xenu?

Subucula Tertia on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Turian councilor is a Scientologist.

So Shepard is Xenu?

If Shepard was Xenu, he'd be flying in this instead of in the Normandy:

Xenu_space_plane.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »

Garrus is the best. <3

I love the way that the play up how Garrus and Shepherd are bro's in ME2. Like when you first meet him and Shephard is all "Hey buddy!" and then later on you two have some banter when he gets back on the ship.
    When he get's shot on his recruitment mission I was all like "Don't worry bro I got you. Gonna get you fixed up and outta here right now."

Most people are past that being a spoiler but I fixed it up for you anyhow

that aside I am considering rolling femshep vanguard to get more conversations out of the male characters

not Jacob though he's boring until he starts talking about spilling drinks and shit

Kazaka on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    With regards to the movie a bit back, I say either put in a side-story that is adventurous on it's own from the side-lines of ME 1 and ME 2, or do something like the First Contact War. It'd be interesting, because Saren's brother was reportedly killed in it, which was partly why he hated humans so much. I'm not sure if he himself fought in the war, I think he might have though.

Evil Weevil on
    edited May 2010
    You mean
    DeltaAirlinesDc3_1.jpg
    THIS.

Orca on
  • dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bioware announces a Mass Effect Movie and this thread is still on page 2 of the forums?

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The multiple orgasms had not yet subsided, but I think I've finally brought them under control. Let the Liara/Shepard/Ashley/Tali love quadrangle stories begin !

Heh, notice how I worked quads in there ?

Fairchild on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Plus the reports also confirmed a WORLD OF WARCRAFT movie, but let's be honest, what are the chances that will not be a big fat horrible mess of a film ?

Fairchild on
    edited May 2010
    The World of Warcraft movie will be a 40 minute film.

Repeated for 6 hours.

Orca on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dsplaisted wrote: »
    Bioware announces a Mass Effect Movie and this thread is still on page 2 of the forums?

We've already decided that the story shouldn't be about Shepard, but it will be, because that's Mass Effect, and the "Mass Effect universe" hasn't sold millions of games so much as Shepard has. We also decided that if they DO go with Shep, it should be FemShep, but it won't be, because Mark Vanderloo is on the box. I think we also decided that Neil Blomenkamp (sp?) should be given a bounty of dubloons and maidens to direct the film and bring that special effects magic from District 9 with him.

The problem is going to be (in my eyes) that there's no way they can fit a decent chunk of the Shepard-Reapers story into a movie without cutting out an entire Codex-worth of background information. Generally, ME fans would rather see a separate story set within the ME universe (First Contact war is mentioned a few times) that doesn't tread on the game series' ability to let us define Shepard's story.

Also, cameos. Wrex and Garrus need to show up. Period.

Bobble on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ohoho a movie.

It'll be fucking funny if they get the male bald space marine one in there.

BlackDove on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Plus the reports also confirmed a WORLD OF WARCRAFT movie, but let's be honest, what are the chances that will not be a big fat horrible mess of a film ?

If we were in the 80s, I can almost guarantee that they would have strongly considered making the WoW movie in a narrative where the player gets sucked inside his computer or falls into a magical hole in the ground.

Bobble on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The sad fact is, game movies have to work twice as hard at non-sucking as regular movies. Mostly it's due to a combination of reworking a concept to fit mass audience appeal, not wanting to take the effort to really focus on the CORE STORY AND THEMES of what made a game good to begin with, and needless pandering to hardcore fans that make it unacessible to most other people.

manwiththemachinegun on