Options

Canadian Mounties vs. [Chat] Invaders

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, when one first starts running as exercise, what's most important to focus on? Keeping up a certain pace? Running for X amount of time? Pointers plz?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    man this sucks

have to wait for this retard intern to get done so we can carpool back

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want a rougelike that doesn't make you start over when you die.

So basically not a rougelike at all. But looks like one.

Ludious on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    The company that recruited me to teach in Korea just signed a contract to place teachers in Georgia.

So, if you want to get your Russian on...

link plz

you're gonna need this, too

Organichu on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »
    Heya Joh how is life for you these days?

Hey Nocturne, good thanks, stressful as all hell on earth working a nine till six, having a long distance relationship, and starting up a business all at the same time. But, I am enjoying the parts that I can and I'm looking forward to how things are going to go when everything starts running smoothly-ish. Thinking about going travelling again in a year or two as well, which is always awesome to look forward to. My girlfriend is going to be moving to the UK too, which is great and I'm really looking forward to living with her as well as being scared as hell about it too.

How about you? All good in your hood buddy?

Oh wow, that does sound busy, but mostly in a good way. I mean better than having a lot of free time but also being unemployed and single.

No offense to half of [chat]

I remember you talking about traveling and maybe hitting the states at some point. That would be neat. I'm still looking forward to checking out Seattle during PAX and pending my enjoyment of that making plans to move there.

Aside from that I can't complain. Still have a job that I like well enough and friends and beer.
    I think friends and beer is societies way of balancing out the crap soemtimes, we brits call it blowing off steam, and it really is. When you live in a place where the work makes you live for the weekends you need that kind of relief. Hi5 on everything then.

Johannen on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Even though I accept the financial realities that have made console gaming the popular choice, it still unsettles me that there is a PC Gaming: Is it worth it? thread in G&T.

Because while this has been a topic of discussion for a long time, I know that just a few scant years ago, the PC Gamers would have shouted down the console enthusiasts in an uproarious victory in an online forum.

Now, not so much. It's sad for me, because I am, and always will be, a sad devotee to that ancient religion.

If only roguelikes were more popular : (

play stone soup!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

There are like, a lot of these : (

Frosteey on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a rougelike-like?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    The company that recruited me to teach in Korea just signed a contract to place teachers in Georgia.

So, if you want to get your Russian on...

link plz

you're gonna need this, too

haha

there are tiny people talking to me!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    My problem is, is that especially now, I just don't agree that console gaming is really that much cheaper. You can go to Worst Buy and grab a ghetto PC that will pretty much run anything..even High end FPS's on at least medium settings, for like 4 hundo. And you don't need to buy extra controllers or anything.

And pc games are cheaper.

So
    ...there

Yeah, they're Free.99.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Even though I accept the financial realities that have made console gaming the popular choice, it still unsettles me that there is a PC Gaming: Is it worth it? thread in G&T.

Because while this has been a topic of discussion for a long time, I know that just a few scant years ago, the PC Gamers would have shouted down the console enthusiasts in an uproarious victory in an online forum.

Now, not so much. It's sad for me, because I am, and always will be, a sad devotee to that ancient religion.

play stone soup!

I know : D I have an arcane marksman that just started worshiping the plant god : D

Frosteey on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I dunno of one.

I was looking at a roguelike on my iphone last night on the app store and was almost going to buy it until I saw the developer's blurb.

"The point is not to beat the game, but to see how far you can get in one sitting!"

And I'm like "Noooo.. I like to BEAT games."

Ludious on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh wow, looking at the actual information about the teaching jobs in Georgia...ew.

the pay is like 300 USD a month. But I imagine that lets you live like a king in Georgia.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

PC's are just not worth the fucking hassle.

This is the truth. I thought about getting a new GFX card so I could play some games at all (like Dragon Age) and other games better.

Once I learned I'd have to install an entirely new power supply for it as well I basically said, "No thanks I'll use my already functioning game console that I never have to upgrade."

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My problem is, is that especially now, I just don't agree that console gaming is really that much cheaper. You can go to Worst Buy and grab a ghetto PC that will pretty much run anything..even High end FPS's on at least medium settings, for like 4 hundo. And you don't need to buy extra controllers or anything.

And pc games are cheaper.

So
    ...there

Yeah, they're Free.99.

b&

----

Honestly, the only advantage I see consoles having is more accessible local multiplayer.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mmm 3600/year

I'm sure my wife would go for it

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I dunno of one.

I was looking at a roguelike on my iphone last night on the app store and was almost going to buy it until I saw the developer's blurb.

"The point is not to beat the game, but to see how far you can get in one sitting!"

And I'm like "Noooo.. I like to BEAT games."

You can become good at the game and beat it : (

Or play Shiren or Izuna or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Elona or I think Castle of the Winds : (

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mainly pc game cause I always buy games during steam sales and get them really cheap.

Also I am a sucker for MMOs

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh wow, looking at the actual information about the teaching jobs in Georgia...ew.

the pay is like 300 USD a month. But I imagine that lets you live like a king in Georgia.

if you don't mind me asking (you probably do)

1.) what is the pay in more prominent places like korea and japan
    2.) what expenses are you forced to cover? do you get a housing/food stipend in addition to your pay? if you teach in a first world country where the rate of exchange isn't hugely skewed, is it possible to meet your needs and still save
    3.) would you consider dating me

Organichu on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a rougelike-like?
    roguelikelike.jpg

I had to

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    skippy you're having a midlife crisis waaay too early in your life, man.

You buy this fancy sports car, and it doesn't scratch the itch

Now you're wanting to move to bumfuck, nowheresville and become a shaolin monk or wtf ever.

This is like mid-life crisis material like whoa.

The only thing you're missing is an affair with a stupid secretary and hair implants.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

2.) what expenses are you forced to cover? do you get a housing/food stipend in addition to your pay? if you teach in a first world country where the rate of exchange isn't hugely skewed, is it possible to meet your needs and still save

1. Pay in korea is 2000 a month if you have any 4 year degree. it goes up from there with more education/experience/licenses. I don't know about japan, ask Coke.
    2. In Korea, my housing is completely paid for by my school. I cover utilities and stuff like cell phone and internet. So yes, you can save a shit ton if you are good with your money.
    3. Anytime, anywhere.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    skippy, what makes strawberries delicious?

CGTCGCCGATAGC

Hi!
    Strawberry Flavor ==

1 atggagaaaa ttgaggtcag tataaattcc aaacacacca tcaaaccatc aacttcctct
    61 acaccacttc agccttacaa gcttaccctc ctggaccagc tcactcctcc ggcgtatgtc
    121 cccatcgtgt tcttctaccc cattactgac catgacttca atcttcctca aaccctagct
    181 gacttaagac aagccctttc ggagactctc actttgtact atccactctc tggaagggtc
    241 aaaaacaacc tatacatcga tgattttgaa gaaggtgtcc cataccttga ggctcgagtg
    301 aattgtgaca tgactgattt tctaaggctt cggaaaatcg agtgccttaa tgagtttgtt
    361 ccaataaaac catttagtat ggaagcaata tctgatgagc gttacccctt gcttggagtt
    421 caagtcaacg ttttcgattc tggaatagca atcggtgtct ccgtctctca caagctcatc
    481 gatggaggaa cggcagactg ttttctcaag tcctggggtg ctgtttttcg agggtgtcgt
    541 gaaaatatca tacatcctag tctctctgaa gcagcattgc ttttcccacc gagagatgac
    601 ttgcctgaaa agtatgtcga tcagatggaa gcgttatggt ttgccggaaa aaaagttgct
    661 acaaggagat ttgtatttgg tgtgaaagcc atatcttcaa ttcaagatga agcgaagagc
    721 gagtccgtgc ccaagccatc acgagttcat gccgtcactg gttttctctg gaaacatcta
    781 atcgctgctt ctcgggcact aacatcaggt actacttcaa caagactttc tatagcggcc
    841 caggcagtga acttaagaac acggatgaac atggagacag tgttggataa tgccactgga
    901 aacttgttct ggtgggcaca ggccatacta gagctaagtc atacaacacc agagatcagt
    961 gatcttaagc tgtgtgactt ggttaacttg ctcaatggat ctgtcaaaca atgtaacggt
    1021 gattactttg agactttcaa gggtaaagag ggatatggaa gaatgtgcga gtatctagat
    1081 tttcagagga ctatgagttc tatggaacca gcaccggata tttatttatt ctcgagctgg
    1141 actaattttt tcaacccact tgattttgga tgggggagga catcatggat tggagttgca
    1201 ggaaaaattg aatctgcaag ttgcaagttc ataatattag ttccaacaca atgcggttct
    1261 ggaattgaag cgtgggtgaa tctagaagaa gagaaaatgg ctatgctaga acaagatccc
    1321 cattttctag cgttagcatc tccaaagacc ttaatttaa

Thank you pubmed.

Galahad on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man getting a bigger power supply to upgrade your videocard is not even close to "too much of a hassle"

I guess I don't get that sentiment. I mean I understand that PC gaming is not for everyone, like I don't expect my mother to know how to replace a power supply.

But at the same time setting up an account on a 360 would probably be too complicated for her, but she could most likely handle a Wii.

So, I guess I just don't see it as a really big leap in the scheme of things.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder if Ryadic is around.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

1. Pay in korea is 2000 a month if you have any 4 year degree. it goes up from there with more education/experience/licenses. I don't know about japan, ask Coke.
    2. In Korea, my housing is completely paid for by my school. I cover utilities and stuff like cell phone and internet. So yes, you can save a shit ton if you are good with your money.
    3. Anytime, anywhere.

thank you

um

do you need a 4 year degree to be accepted into the program

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anyway Chu if you have any serious questions about esl, I'll answer anything since I like talking about it cause no one ever asks me. send me a PM, since I'm off to class now.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I asked people on the internet for help with computers : D

Frosteey on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man getting a bigger power supply to upgrade your videocard is not even close to "too much of a hassle"

I guess I don't get that sentiment. I mean I understand that PC gaming is not for everyone, like I don't expect my mother to know how to replace a power supply.

But at the same time setting up an account on a 360 would probably be too complicated for her, but she could most likely handle a Wii.

the worst part about psu replacement is untangling the octopus and trying your hardest not to cut the crap out of your hands on the inside edges of your chassis

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    UGH.

PERIODS.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Setting up a live account on a 360 would take me longer than it would to replace a power supply.

If the person had a nice case with a easy snap in power supply slot, I could install 3 or 4 in the time it would take to make a live account.

I could build 2 computers in the time it takes to CANCEL a live account :P

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

i more just look at everyone who has to do these tweaks and figure out this trouble shooting and stuff like that

like, i'm sure many people encounter no problems but stuff like "this fits my specs, why isn't it working" or when frames slow down incredibly

whatever, you know?

i don't know anything at all about computer gaming but i have plenty of friends who built nice computers then buy a game and it just doesn't work and they need to scour the internet for a fix

Organichu on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The thing about having to upgrade your PC, you upgrade it so its good for 2 or 3 years. Buying a good power supply can last you two or three computers depending on the amount of power and quality of the power supply. If your computer is old enough to need a new power supply to run a semi-decent/cheap but ok graphics card you can just buy a new comp.

Inqi: I agree that the pc is the king of fps. Mouse+keyboard allow faster movement and higher accuracy at least for me. The graphics even on a medium grade machine can out pace about any console and don't get me into the modding community which allows many games to have not just 6 month to 1 year life to have a 3 to 6 year life. Half Like 1, Quake 3 and UT are good examples of this. Half Life 2 has this as well.

I think it comes down to, pc gaming is better for user created content, independent publishers, nostalgia game(good old games we love you) and customization of ones place space. Also for those who do as a hobby like me, building and upgrading computers is its own reward.

Console gaming is easier on the user end for set up(hook up to the tv), the ability to sit on you couch and play(though I have wireless everything on my comp so I can sit on my bed if I want), hardware is usually good for an entire generation making upgrading not really required. It is more accessible to a large group of the population.

I usually keep a Sony/Nintendo product with my computer. I play different stuff on them. And most of the x-box only stuff either doesn't interest me, is released on the pc or ps3 anyways. So I am good.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    scour the internet for a fix? Eh. 70% of the time "scouring" is typing into google "X game is doing X weird thing"

then clicking the first link and following some directions.

But I get that you don't even have to do that much on a console.

But the experience on the PC is worth the hassle...for me.

Ludious on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think imma go home now [chat].

Play some Alan Wake, maybe some Sam&Max. Dunno which.

Goodnight.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    also my fancy sports car was a sound financial decision that helped us reduce our credit card debt by taking the equity we had in a car that was paid off and putting it on high interest debt

it cost 14k, which I think is a reasonable price for a car

taa daa

as to the other, yes, I am dissatisfied with my job and want to move somewhere cold and snowy and do something different

it is not so crazy, I think?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    scour the internet for a fix? Eh. 70% of the time "scouring" is typing into google "X game is doing X weird thing"

then clicking the first link and following some directions.

But I get that you don't even have to do that much on a console.

But the experience on the PC is worth the hassle...for me.

there may be a lot of problems resolved that easily, i'm sure there are

but just going by all the people who post on internet message boards and everyone says "you upgraded your drivers? i don't know what to tell you, then" there are plenty of shitty, annoying problems

Organichu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

play stone soup!

I know : D I have an arcane marksman that just started worshiping the plant god : D

i keep dying about 3 stories in. My best character was my first character I can't recall all of the stats but for some reason he picked up 2-3 awesome mutations right off the bat. He could teleport at will, devour raw meat, and something else I can't recall.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know, people say console gaming is easier but I've never had my computer flash three red lights which required a company to send a box out to me, to send my computer out to them, and wait for link a month for them to send it back.

That sucked.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sometimes playing games on pc can be a hassle.

For example when I bought dragon age on pc, I had the problem where the installation wouldn't work on my pc (seems like some people had this problem or some files were seen as corrupt) and I couldnt find a solution to it, so instead the next day I went to my friends house and installed it on his laptop then used an external harddrive to copy it over to my pc.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
This discussion has been closed.