Options

Canadian Mounties vs. [Chat] Invaders

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's not, really skippy.

Money is just really important to me and I have trouble accepting when other people are so willing to like go work a crap job making nothing.

I dunno. I recognize that it's a personal hangup.

Ludious on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    My xbox 360 replacement only took about a week. It was really smooth.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Even though I accept the financial realities that have made console gaming the popular choice, it still unsettles me that there is a PC Gaming: Is it worth it? thread in G&T.

Because while this has been a topic of discussion for a long time, I know that just a few scant years ago, the PC Gamers would have shouted down the console enthusiasts in an uproarious victory in an online forum.

Now, not so much. It's sad for me, because I am, and always will be, a sad devotee to that ancient religion.

If only roguelikes were more popular : (

play stone soup!

I know : D I have an arcane marksman that just started worshiping the plant god : D

i keep dying about 3 stories in. My best character was my first character I can't recall all of the stats but for some reason he picked up 2-3 awesome mutations right off the bat. He could teleport at will, devour raw meat, and something else I can't recall.

Those are like the best mutations to have : D

Frosteey on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »
    Oh wow, looking at the actual information about the teaching jobs in Georgia...ew.

the pay is like 300 USD a month. But I imagine that lets you live like a king in Georgia.

if you don't mind me asking (you probably do)

1.) what is the pay in more prominent places like korea and japan
    2.) what expenses are you forced to cover? do you get a housing/food stipend in addition to your pay? if you teach in a first world country where the rate of exchange isn't hugely skewed, is it possible to meet your needs and still save
    3.) would you consider dating me

1. Pay in korea is 2000 a month if you have any 4 year degree. it goes up from there with more education/experience/licenses. I don't know about japan, ask Coke.
    2. In Korea, my housing is completely paid for by my school. I cover utilities and stuff like cell phone and internet. So yes, you can save a shit ton if you are good with your money.
    3. Anytime, anywhere.

thank you

um

do you need a 4 year degree to be accepted into the program

You need a 4 year degree (or 3 year if you're British - basically a proper degree of some kind) for the work visa in Japan. You can get jobs without a degree, and some of them are not bad. It's the visa that's the sticking point. Probably Korea is the same.

Also Korea is much better financially to teach than in Japan. The Japanese market is saturated, EFL companies are going bust all the time, and there are too many teachers for too few jobs.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's not, really skippy.

Money is just really important to me and I have trouble accepting when other people are so willing to like go work a crap job making nothing.

I dunno. I recognize that it's a personal hangup.

I am not willing to work a crap job making nothing

I am, however, willing to work a satisfying job making less!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Chu, I will give you a run down on Japan.

1.Requires a 4 year degree, this is Japanese law not much you can do to get around it.
    2.Payment depending on the company is between 2,100 to 3,200 a month. The later usually being JET.
    3.You pay for your housing, mine was cheap because I lived in Board of Education housing but it can be as much as 600 to 800 a month or more.
    4. Most private companies require you to pay for your ticket into Japan(900 to 1800 round trip or one way depending on time of the year) and want you to bring between 3,000 to 4,000 US with you to help with initial expenses and to live off of for about 2 months. That is because how they pay you(usually a month behind and once a month).

That is the rundown for pretty much every teaching job in Japan including eikaiwa(English schools).

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You know, people say console gaming is easier but I've never had my computer flash three red lights which required a company to send a box out to me, to send my computer out to them, and wait for link a month for them to send it back.

That sucked.

that's never happened to me either

but there are like

a handful of possible problems, there- and they are all well documented and established and you know exactly what's wrong at any given point, it seems

whereas that certainly isn't always the case with other platforms

Organichu on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    only a week.

hah.

My PC Goes down and I go into shakes after 12 hours.
    And forget sleeping until it's fixed.

Ludious on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    also my fancy sports car was a sound financial decision that helped us reduce our credit card debt by taking the equity we had in a car that was paid off and putting it on high interest debt

it cost 14k, which I think is a reasonable price for a car

taa daa

as to the other, yes, I am dissatisfied with my job and want to move somewhere cold and snowy and do something different

it is not so crazy, I think?

This is kind of what I want to do except for the sports car : D Make sure you have scarves! And a hat too!

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    also my fancy sports car was a sound financial decision that helped us reduce our credit card debt by taking the equity we had in a car that was paid off and putting it on high interest debt

taa daa

as to the other, yes, I am dissatisfied with my job and want to move somewhere cold and snowy and do something different

BUT YOUR SPORTS CAR

i once drove a sports car in a cold and snowy climate. it is both terribly fun and terribly not fun at the same time.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How can you be satisfied and make less

I know that you can be, but that just does not compute in my world at all.

But I grew up poor and my family was on food stamps so.....

Yeah money very much equals making it in my mind. It's like hardwired.

Basically dolla dolla bill yall.

Ludious on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

taa daa

BUT YOUR SPORTS CAR

i once drove a sports car in a cold and snowy climate. it is both terribly fun and terribly not fun at the same time.

thats when he trades is beemer in for a subaru

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    thanks guys

i dunno, that doesn't seem as amazing mazzyx

i mean, over $24k to just basically fuck around with some japanese kids seems pretty cool

but if i have to pay for my own housing and food and all...

sure, that's survivable without a question, but i was thinking teaching overseas was one of those things where you'd come home with all this money saved up

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    if we move to Chicago or Denver or Minnesota or somewhere I will probably try to keep the Z4

just buy snow tires and a hard top and drive slow

if we move to Alaska I will sell it for sure :(

and probably buy a 4x4 truck

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, I'm the complete opposite, personally. My folks have always had enough money, it's never been an issue. So money isn't important to me. If I make enough to live alone and buy entertainment I will be 100% content. So it's really about finding a job I will enjoy, for me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    thats when he trades is beemer in for a subaru

!

I already have a Subaru!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    thanks guys

i mean, over $24k to just basically fuck around with some japanese kids seems pretty cool

sure, that's survivable without a question, but i was thinking teaching overseas was one of those things where you'd come home with all this money saved up

I saved $25,000 dollars over 2 and a half years doing the job Chu. That was off 2,500 a month.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Man getting a bigger power supply to upgrade your videocard is not even close to "too much of a hassle"

I guess I don't get that sentiment. I mean I understand that PC gaming is not for everyone, like I don't expect my mother to know how to replace a power supply.

But at the same time setting up an account on a 360 would probably be too complicated for her, but she could most likely handle a Wii.

So, I guess I just don't see it as a really big leap in the scheme of things.

Well, for one, for the Graphics card I would want, plus the power supply I would need, it would put the cost well over $100 for me, which is where I start getting nervous about spending that kind of money upgrading a somewhat old computer with a not-so-great processor.

And while I'm sure I could figure out how to put in a power supply, it's definitely more complex than putting in a graphics card, which I think anyone can learn how to do with no issue. Add to that the fact that due to various things, the internal wiring in my computer is somewhat tricky as it is. There's been several times where it's taken me a good deal of time to get everything reconnected when I was putting something in like a graphics card.

Maybe for someone who likes fiddling with this sort of thing this doesn't sound like too much of a bother, but I'm not really a fan of doing that sort of work.

So, my choice is either spend more money than I should be spending while doing fiddly work that I don't really enjoy or spending nothing extra and continue to buy the games coming out for my 360. I realize I'm missing out on a few good games by not having a capable PC, but the cost to benefit ratio is so low in my mind that I can't see dealing with it at this point.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Yeah, I'm the complete opposite, personally. My folks have always had enough money, it's never been an issue. So money isn't important to me. If I make enough to live alone and buy entertainment I will be 100% content. So it's really about finding a job I will enjoy, for me.

Inqi, you and me we are brothers.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    blah chu, you wanna work overseas and make money, you get a job with the DoD doing basically tech support work in Afghanistan or Iraq. Those guys get free room and board, like a huge percentage of your income is untaxed.

Basically I know people who have done it and came home with like 200g's IN THE BANK.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Basically dolla dolla bill yall.

my mom was a single mom until I was 6

we were on welfare and food stamps for a while

I have degrees and money now and I live in a nice place and drive a nice car

and it is not satisfying

*shrug*

I think I need something different

I feel like I've made it, and it's pretty meh

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, that beats my $7k saved from working at starbucks for 2 1/2 years.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    UGH.

PERIODS.

.?
    Haha I am so witty! [tiny]please don't hurt me[/tiny]

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    thanks guys

you must be confusing teaching overseas with going overseas to blow people up

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I hope VH and I make it out to CO sometime the summer.

Wanna kick it with you so bad.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, that beats my $7k saved from working at starbucks for 2 1/2 years.

I am a beast at saving money. I don't buy a lot of things and kind of get guilty buying stuff that cost over 100 dollars.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey Carrot, how's your story coming along? I was gone for a month, did you finish it up already?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I hope VH and I make it out to CO sometime the summer.

Wanna kick it with you so bad.

It be awesome, there be brews, hiking and maybe baseball if you guys were up for that thing. Oh and Kakos, because if you are here there must be Kakos.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It be awesome, there be brews, hiking and maybe baseball if you guys were up for that thing. Oh and Kakos, because if you are here there must be Kakos.

Like, watching baseball or playing baseball? Because I'm definitely down for the former and get some beers in me and I'll be down for making a fool of myself doing the latter.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    blah chu, you wanna work overseas and make money, you get a job with the DoD doing basically tech support work in Afghanistan or Iraq. Those guys get free room and board, like a huge percentage of your income is untaxed.

Basically I know people who have done it and came home with like 200g's IN THE BANK.

that sounds fucking awesome

i would love to do that

i have a lot of excitement about that kind of thing- i wanted to be a soldier before i found out i couldn't, with my bad eye. when i was 17 i ran the 3 mile run in like 17 : xx, and destroyed the crunches/pullups requirement

so

for a while i was bummed and then i wanted to do something linguistically for a while

and i poked around at a few different governmental agencies and it was intimated to me (though not in writing) that i 100% needed a degree

so i got discouraged and never looked again

does that sort of thing require a 4 year degree?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey Carrot, how's your story coming along? I was gone for a month, did you finish it up already?

Aha no. Haven't done anything on it for a while, but it's at 40k words, so that's something. I figure in a few days, once I've written a cover letter or dozen, I'll take a look at it again, and have something of a fresh eye, maybe.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am bad at saving money. I blow my extra money on charities pretty much.

I know that sounds weird or braggartly or whatever, but it's true.

Some people buy clothes, I donate. Because fuck people who have money and let people starve, fuck them right up their cold hearted asses.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Let's not forget that the opportunity cost of a gaming computer vs a console isn't the price of the computer, it's the price of the upgrades over whatever computer you'd have bought if you weren't playing games on it.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Aha no. Haven't done anything on it for a while, but it's at 40k words, so that's something. I figure in a few days, once I've written a cover letter or dozen, I'll take a look at it again, and have something of a fresh eye, maybe.

40k is a lot of words, nice. And yeah, when writing something tucking it away for a while and coming back to it with a fresh eye is a great idea. :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Chu, no. To get a status, permanent government job, you need a 4 year degree or a bunch of work history.

But what they don't tell you is that you can get your foot in the door with part time non-status government work.

Several agencies have work like this.

DoD, DHS (especially FEMA), Border Patrol, etc.

A lot of it involves travel and waiting to be deployed. You may not work 2 months..but then you may be god knows where working 12 hour days 7 days a week for 6 months.

And the qualifications are looow. Plus you get to travel, make per diem (tax free) and build work history.

Ludious on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

that sounds fucking awesome

i would love to do that

i have a lot of excitement about that kind of thing- i wanted to be a soldier before i found out i couldn't, with my bad eye. when i was 17 i ran the 3 mile run in like 17 : xx, and destroyed the crunches/pullups requirement

so

for a while i was bummed and then i wanted to do something linguistically for a while

and i poked around at a few different governmental agencies and it was intimated to me (though not in writing) that i 100% needed a degree

so i got discouraged and never looked again

does that sort of thing require a 4 year degree?

your eye disqualified you even from the compulsory service?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

40k is a lot of words, nice. And yeah, when writing something tucking it away for a while and coming back to it with a fresh eye is a great idea. :D

A few thousand of that is part two, with the story being told from the perspective of the (barely adult) son of the main couple of part one. I still feel kind of weird writing that when part one isn't done yet, but stuff comes when it comes. I don't have to type everything in order.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Per Diem in Hawaii is something redonkulous like $100 a day.

So basically..you can eat like a king on $20-$30 a day and pocket $70-$80 tax free.

Just as an example. That's an unusually high per diem. But still.

Ludious on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Part of it for me too is that my 8800 GT (which cost me around $100) died and thus I was already a bit wary about sinking more money into my computer.

And pretty much every game that my system can't play I can play on my 360 so I don't think I'm losing that much (except for the obviously superior controls in Dragon Age).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.