Options

Canadian Mounties vs. [Chat] Invaders

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    blah chu, you wanna work overseas and make money, you get a job with the DoD doing basically tech support work in Afghanistan or Iraq. Those guys get free room and board, like a huge percentage of your income is untaxed.

Basically I know people who have done it and came home with like 200g's IN THE BANK.

that sounds fucking awesome

i would love to do that

i have a lot of excitement about that kind of thing- i wanted to be a soldier before i found out i couldn't, with my bad eye. when i was 17 i ran the 3 mile run in like 17 : xx, and destroyed the crunches/pullups requirement

so

for a while i was bummed and then i wanted to do something linguistically for a while

and i poked around at a few different governmental agencies and it was intimated to me (though not in writing) that i 100% needed a degree

so i got discouraged and never looked again

does that sort of thing require a 4 year degree?

your eye disqualified you even from the compulsory service?

yup

i am medically waived from israeli service

and the US military (all branches) won't accept me because of my eye

thanks for the tips lud

Organichu on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When I try to use a modern console controller, I start regressing to a caveman like state and become angered and begin slapping at the controller with the back of my hands.

Ludious on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Let's not forget that the opportunity cost of a gaming computer vs a console isn't the price of the computer, it's the price of the upgrades over whatever computer you'd have bought if you weren't playing games on it.

This. Also the added benefits of having a more powerful computer, aside from being able to play games.

Also sometimes one of the employees at Steam will go crazy and change the prices of all sorts of games to stupidly low amounts.

That's always pretty cool.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I find myself getting sadder and sadder when there isn't a big steam sale going on.

Ludious on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    blah chu, you wanna work overseas and make money, you get a job with the DoD doing basically tech support work in Afghanistan or Iraq. Those guys get free room and board, like a huge percentage of your income is untaxed.

Basically I know people who have done it and came home with like 200g's IN THE BANK.

that sounds fucking awesome

i would love to do that

i have a lot of excitement about that kind of thing- i wanted to be a soldier before i found out i couldn't, with my bad eye. when i was 17 i ran the 3 mile run in like 17 : xx, and destroyed the crunches/pullups requirement

so

for a while i was bummed and then i wanted to do something linguistically for a while

and i poked around at a few different governmental agencies and it was intimated to me (though not in writing) that i 100% needed a degree

so i got discouraged and never looked again

does that sort of thing require a 4 year degree?

your eye disqualified you even from the compulsory service?

yup

i am medically waived from israeli service

and the US military (all branches) won't accept me because of my eye

thanks for the tips lud
    my non 20/20 vision disqualifies me from flying planes
    but that was more of a high school dream than anything realistic

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I was cleared from the draft because of my coeliacs.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    lud where would i even go to find that non status work?

is it through the agencies themselves or people they contract out to or what?

Organichu on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inqi, you and me we are brothers.

I hope VH and I make it out to CO sometime the summer.

Wanna kick it with you so bad.

It be awesome, there be brews, hiking and maybe baseball if you guys were up for that thing. Oh and Kakos, because if you are here there must be Kakos.

:(

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I find myself getting sadder and sadder when there isn't a big steam sale going on.

20% off Bioshock 2 is fairly respectable all in all.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Border Patrol tends to have mass postings on usajobs.gov

FEMA always needs logistics guys, that's a good foot in the door. Their temps are called DAE's. Disaster Assistance Employees. You can go to FEMA.gov and look up various regions contact numbers and ask them if they are currently hiring DAE's. You'd be doing a lot of moving stuff around..driving fork lifts etc.

I'd look at Logistics, chu. Since you're not really an I.T. guy per se. You can always work your way into another department.

Ludious on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hmmm i want to play starcraft 2 now that bnet is back up but also i am kind of tired and also it would be more responsible to get some house cleaning or weed spraying done.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Border Patrol tends to have mass postings on usajobs.gov

FEMA always needs logistics guys, that's a good foot in the door. Their temps are called DAE's. Disaster Assistance Employees. You can go to FEMA.gov and look up various regions contact numbers and ask them if they are currently hiring DAE's. You'd be doing a lot of moving stuff around..driving fork lifts etc.

I'd look at Logistics, chu. Since you're not really an I.T. guy per se. You can always work your way into another department.

thanks

i will do some peeking around

Organichu on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It be awesome, there be brews, hiking and maybe baseball if you guys were up for that thing. Oh and Kakos, because if you are here there must be Kakos.

Sorry PP you can come. I always forget you are here, mostly because you aren't like Kakos who pokes me at weird hours wanting to go out even though I live like an hour from Boulder.

Inqi:We can play and watch. Coors is like one of the best ballparks in the country and there are always cheap rock pile seats if worse comes to worse.(Like $5 seats in center field but hey game time!)

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some deer ate my flowers! Goddamn deer!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

Elk were eating the crab apple tree in my back yard like two weeks ago.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Sorry PP you can come. I always forget you are here, mostly because you aren't like Kakos who pokes me at weird hours wanting to go out even though I live like an hour from Boulder.

Inqi:We can play and watch. Coors is like one of the best ballparks in the country and there are always cheap rock pile seats if worse comes to worse.(Like $5 seats in center field but hey game time!)

Where is you

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010

the tree itself?
    or the apples

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fuckin homps!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Where is you

Littleton, about 10 minutes from Chatfield Reservoir or the other big landmark I am like 15 or so minutes from Columbine high school. I went to Chatfield Senior High out here.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hey I'm writing a letter to be considered for a tour guide at a local brewery. any takers for constructive criticism?
    Hello Nicole,

My name is Kris and I am in love with Sweetwater. I don't have any special skills or schooling, Just a strong love for Sweetwater and a Pasion to share it's glory with the world.. From the moment I was 21, the first beer that touched my legal pallet was a Sweetwater 420 and I have never looked back. I can still remember going to the Brooers tent at Bonnaroo 2008 and buying a delicious Sweetwater Blue on tap for my friends and watching them become hooked on the worlds most refreshing beer.

If give this momentious oprotunity, I would seize the glory of every day and do everything in my power to be the hardest worker for the worlds best brewery. I would litealy travel anywhere and agree to do any beer festival needed in exchange for this monumentious oprotunity.

I hope to hear back from you soon,
    Kris

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

the tree itself?
    or the apples

The tree, they love them. I am hoping for some crab apples this year so I can learn how to make crab apple butter which if done right is fucking delicious.

SIG:We should make jerky out of them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    hey I'm writing a letter to be considered for a tour guide at a local brewery. any takers for constructive criticism?
    Hello Nicole,

My name is Kris and I am in love with Sweetwater. I don't have any special skills or schooling, Just a strong love for Sweetwater and a Pasion to share it's glory with the world.. From the moment I was 21, the first beer that touched my legal pallet was a Sweetwater 420 and I have never looked back. I can still remember going to the Brooers tent at Bonnaroo 2008 and buying a delicious Sweetwater Blue on tap for my friends and watching them become hooked on the worlds most refreshing beer.

If give this momentious oprotunity, I would seize the glory of every day and do everything in my power to be the hardest worker for the worlds best brewery. I would litealy travel anywhere and agree to do any beer festival needed in exchange for this monumentious oprotunity.

Kris
    Got some typos and the last paragraph is a little over the top.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris

:?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Joker, your spelling is horrendous and that letter is so sickly sweet and kiss-ass that if I read it, not only would I tear it up laughing, I would note your name and make sure I -never- hired you.

It needs to be WAAAY more professional.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris

First, spell check. "opportunity" not oprotunity. That is a huge thing. Second, is this a cover letter? If so, proper formating(business letter format). Other then that, maybe give some skills you have to bring to the job.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris
    yeah run it through a spell check and you'll be fine

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris

Yeah it's...rough...

And i'm kinda trying to go for over the top. I really want to seperate myself from the competition.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh you're going to separate yourself right into the trash can with that letter.

I know I sound rough but it's really, really bad. You need to start over.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris

Yeah it's...rough...

And i'm kinda trying to go for over the top. I really want to seperate myself from the competition.

Separate with skills and passion not just passion.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Where is you

Littleton, about 10 minutes from Chatfield Reservoir or the other big landmark I am like 15 or so minutes from Columbine high school. I went to Chatfield Senior High out here.

you is far

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris

Just bolded some spelling errors for you

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't think it's a bad approach, I do think you need to add some info about your skills and any prior relevant experience though.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello Nicole,

Kris
    yeah run it through a spell check and you'll be fine

420 is a type of beer they make, it's not a drug reference.

And to frame the...tone of the letter, here's the help wanted ad.
    Tour Staff needed! - tours and tastings are every Wed, Thur, and Fri from 5:30 - 7:30 and Sat from 2:30 - 4:30
    and we are looking for some fantastic people to add to our tour staff. Send over some info about yourself, facebook profile, special skills, relevant experience, stories about your passion for SweetWater, whatever would help you rise to the top to Nicole@SweetWaterBrew.com. This gig requires availability for the tour hours above as well as the occasional beer festival and special events

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Where is you

you is far

Yuppers, west Denver Metro/Jefferson stuck in the mountains. Gets really boring here. I tend to drive to Ft.Collins or the Springs to see friends since that is where they live now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have not been paying attention to this whole Korea thing.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Gonna remain the dissenting opinion and say that it is an awful approach.

It's fine to talk about your love for the product, but right now you sound like a high frat boy. Tone it down about 12,000 notches. Mention your admiration for the product in passing and how you have introduced friends to their product.

Explain that you're very enthusiastic about the company. But get rid of the Broham.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

A warship from Good Korea was sunk in March, killing 47.

Bad Korea is implicated due to evidence that includes a torpedo, investigation supported by international parties including US

Good Korea cuts most of their trade with Bad Korea. (Good Korea and China hold 80% of Bad Korea's trade economy)

Stern words from the US and Good Korea, total non-commitment from China.

TL DR on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hey Colorado peeps

I'm gonna be a bit West of you in the Silverthorne/Frisco/Vail area from July 18-24. I'm going with my family and not driving myself because I can't pass up a free vacation to Colorado while I'm still living in the same town as the rest of my family.

But if you folks would be down, I might see what can be done to kick it with you homps for a night or something. Dunno what kind alternate transportation is available in the area, but I'd take a bus or something to meet up if that's possible.

Basically I'm craving some Kakos rape. And PPuppies snuggles. And Mazzyx... well, you know that thing you do :winky:

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

A warship from Good Korea was sunk in March, killing 47.

Bad Korea is implicated due to evidence that includes a torpedo, investigation supported by international parties including US

Good Korea cuts most of their trade with Bad Korea. (Good Korea and China hold 80% of Bad Korea's trade economy)

Stern words from the US and Good Korea, total non-commitment from China.

Man China! Get with the program!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

It hasn't been in the US news so it is pretty easy to miss. Though the poll that Coke posted yesterday was hilarious.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.