As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Music] Lhazzar, an orchestral piece.

ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Artist's Corner
This is probably my first time coming into this particular board in quite awhile. I like to draw, but I don't consider myself anywhere near decent enough to show off any of that particular work.

So, I read up in the little handy guide at the top and it said that a person can post music in this here corner! Well I just happen to like composing music, and have been doing it for about 6 years now on and off.

I've recently been trying to pull myself out of a many month dry spell by starting to fool around in FL studios again, and finally set myself a goal: Complete three pieces of music by the end of May. I didn't really expect to get all three done, but I knew that even if I accomplished one, I would feel that awesome glow of accomplishment.

So without further ado, here is the first one, in handy youtube format:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYDb4_ldAIM

My goal with this piece was to reflect a Piratey/Coastal Adventure theme, as its based upon a location my DnD group is currently traveling through called the Lhazzar Principalities.

Its short, I realize, and with further iterations I should improve that. I have a habit of always making very short songs right off the bat. I have to force myself to water them down a bit and extend their length.

In any case, any comments would be appreciated.

PS, I'll put answers to those questions posed in the aforementioned "Information for Artists" Thread under "Help us cater to your artistic needs and goals" in a spoiler, if anyone wants to know a bit more about that kind of stuff.

* Tell us what your goals as an artist are.
-To achieve a level of expertise that rivals a professional.
-To be able to express myself effortlessly in a variety of mediums, including music

* Are you a hobbyist looking to *do whatever* for fun?
-I am definitely a hobbyist, and I definitely do it for fun, so.. yes?

* Are you putting together a portfolio to get into art school?
-No. Though eventually I may present my work to my local college so they accept me into thier high level composition courses.
* Are you currently a professional looking to further refine your skills in a certain area?
-I am strictly amateur, for now. Am I looking ot improve? Of course. Song length, originality, and mixing are the things I probably want to work on the most.
* How long have you been practicing this form of art?
-5-6 years on and off.
* Who are some artists or styles that you admire who you strive to be like in your own work?
-John Williams, Danny Elfman, Nobuo Uematsu, Prefuse 73, Venetian Snares.. lots more that I cant name.

Also, I am aware that I messed up the Vibrato/Tremolo title in the video pic. No need to point that out. :p.

Shurakai on

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not being much of a composer myself, it's difficult to crique this, but I'll give it a shot... As it stands, it feels very cluttered, though I can't exactly describe why. I think it may be because your two lead instruments are both strings and are very similar in tone, an as such they tend to blend together a bit. And like you said, it does seem to be quite short, and also seems to end quite suddenly.

Don't let me discourage you, this is miles ahead of anything I could do, and I can definitely feel the pirate influences coming through. But I do think this isn't finished just yet.

I'd really like to hear anything else you happen to have too, if you happen to have something you're willing to post...?

Flay on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Needs more direction - I keep waiting for it to go somewhere, but it never does. You establish a couple of themes, develop them a little, then stop. As a soundtrack over a (short) video game introduction it might work, but for a stand-alone piece, I think you really need to explore more permutations of the motif. At least build to a key change or something.

tynic on