As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your favorite Snacky foods?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Go to the healthfood/all natural section of your super market KalTorak. If you're willing to pay $1 more per bag, you can find them usually.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    boiled peanuts and bourbon. oh bawled nuhts you are so F'n good, why do you only thrive in the South?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    boiled peanuts and bourbon. oh bawled nuhts you are so F'n good, why do you only thrive in the South?

Because our culinary theory seems to be based on suicide pacts?

I mean, we invented FRIED BUTTER.

Game over, man. Game over.

Atomika on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm all about bagel bites when I'm having a pizza craving and know if I order a large pizza I'll eat the whole thing.

But my dad is a sick sick monster. He'll buy a small pack of peanuts usually spicey and a diet coke and then proceed to pour said peanuts into the coke and drink it. I mean I know it's all going to the same place but it looks so awful. He claims it was what all the cool kids did when he was growing up.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Go to the healthfood/all natural section of your super market KalTorak. If you're willing to pay $1 more per bag, you can find them usually.

I think I spied a respectable offering in Trader Joe's, only $2/bag. Have to try those out.
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    But my dad is a sick sick monster. He'll buy a small pack of peanuts usually spicey and a diet coke and then proceed to pour said peanuts into the coke and drink it. I mean I know it's all going to the same place but it looks so awful. He claims it was what all the cool kids did when he was growing up.

I read about that shit in a Gary Paulsen book as a kid. Still sounds weird as hell.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I'm all about bagel bites when I'm having a pizza craving and know if I order a large pizza I'll eat the whole thing.

Yeah, that seems to be a thing. Several guys at work that are 40+ do this. They'll empty salted peanuts into a Dr. Pepper can. Bleagh.

Atomika on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So when they get to the bottom do they eat the peanuts? Or do they just leave them in there like ice cubes or something?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So when they get to the bottom do they eat the peanuts? Or do they just leave them in there like ice cubes or something?

I don't know, really. It sounds too gross to find out. I have an issue with solid food being put in something that is supposed to be a drink. It's why I think a lot of Asian beverages are gross, especially bubble teas. A girl at work used to come in with jellied tamarind slurry, and drink it with a straw. It could not have been more horrifying. Although my wife works with a guy who buys imported shrimp-flavored soda from China.

Atomika on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

they do that thing where they invert the cup and gently tap on the bottom hoping to get one at a time but they all stick on the bottom until the last moment and the dude ends up with a face full of nuts

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    Not quite a snack food and more of a spur-of-the-moment treat, but I like to fry up a banana in a little skillet with some butter and brown sugar. Some amaretto if I have any, and a little vanilla, with some cinnamon sprinkled on it. When the banana is good and floppy, I stick it in a bowl, scoop some mango ice cream on top, and drizzle the stuff from the skillet over the top (which should make a nice, thick syrup once the sugar has caramelized). The whole thing takes, like, 10 minutes start to finish, so it's snacky enough that I can bust it out on a whim.

Oh, and pita chips. With either salsa or hummus. (Note: this is a separate thing, not something I eat with the banana/mango thing.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Second on the pita chips.

Why can't I find flour-based tortilla chips anymore? They used to be everywhere. They're delicious, and now I just have to make them at home.

:(

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

they do that thing where they invert the cup and gently tap on the bottom hoping to get one at a time but they all stick on the bottom until the last moment and the dude ends up with a face full of nuts

Happens to the best of us.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My grandparents always had a can at their house. I can't find them anywhere though.

Ditto; cheese balls are one of the great memories of my childhood. Although I think that my great grandmother often made them herself: I'm guessing they must have been more of a thing back in the day.

MrMister on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The peanuts float for the most part, and my dad eats them as he drinks the coke. I mean I like peanuts and I can drink anything while eating them, but mixing the two is questionable.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My favourite snack food beyond the odd chocolate chip cookie is this humble goodness:

pizza_bagel.jpg

Pizza Bagels, not very big, that look like these.
    I like them with some root beer, diet coke or sugar free iced tea.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    More snacky goodness:

511B5DpUAIL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

I learned to love these at my grandparents house. My grandpa would always get upset when I ate them all.

pineapple-lge.jpg

Dried pineapple is fantastic, and exotic.

Tach on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    rock+candy.jpg

These are also good.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I could just nom on feta cheese or parmesan shavings.
    edit: or gouda or yummy pepperjack or jalapeno chedder. Basically I like cheese.

I recently found out that my wife's egg salad is an amazing topper for whole grain Ritz crackers.
    I just sat at my computer watching One Piece and eating those for an hour.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any prawn cocktail flavour crisps.

McCoys do amazing ones but they are so friggin hard to find, I've never seen them anywhere outside the little refreshment hut at my local train station.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh, also I never buy jerky. If I breakdown and pay for jerky, I find I've eaten the whole thing in 15 minutes and now I've gotten 1000% of my daily sodium and am short 8 bucks.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I eat the wheel in thirds. I can't understand why I don't weigh 300lbs.

What is that white cheese called? I enjoy a good sharp cheddar myself.

I think it's brie.

"Brie Quest" initiated.

It says in the picture link, it's Camembert. I've had it once but was too intoxicated to remember what it tastes like.

[...]

Edit: After a little cheese research apparently Brie and Camembert are very similar.

Yeah, it's Camembert. Camembert is basically a mild version of Brie; it's got more of a buttery taste. Tastes great on its own or in sandwiches or deep fried. Or in a deep-friend sandwich.

(...I'm from Glasgow.)

Works well in omelettes too, though I recommend Brie for that; you kind of need the stronger flavour.

Also, I can never be allowed near these:
    pistachio_nuts.jpg

Or this:
    turkish-delight.jpg

And ESPECIALLY not this:
    05483l2511.jpg

(Pistashios and Turkish Delight, in case you're wondering.)

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Some guy in my company brings Turkish Delight with pistachios in them sometimes. They are delicious.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    candywarehouse210512025.gif
    The best candy ever to exist: sour gummy cherry coke bottles. You can get them at some candy shops or as I do, bulk over the internet in a 5 lb bag. Eat a little bit at work in the afternoon every day.

Also good:
    Dole mixed fruit in black cherry gel
    Peanut/peanut butter M&Ms
    Cool ranch doritos
    And a recent house favorite has been mozzarella string cheese
    As other people have mentioned, sour patch kids and frosted animal crackers.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh, also I never buy jerky. If I breakdown and pay for jerky, I find I've eaten the whole thing in 15 minutes and now I've gotten 1000% of my daily sodium and am short 8 bucks.

I have friends who hunt.

They send me jerky.

I don't ask questions.

Pretty much the single reason why I am pro-hunting.

of anything

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jerky is glorious. I need to by a food dehydrator and jerky seasoning. That would probably pay for itself considering how goddamn costly jerky is.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to eat slim jims. I don't eat them anymore because they are horrible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Jerky is glorious. I need to by a food dehydrator and jerky seasoning. That would probably pay for itself considering how goddamn costly jerky is.

This one is sugar-free, and decently priced.

http://www.bigjohnsbeefjerky.com/

The only place that has comparable price is Costco, but the kind they sell has like 6g of sugar per serving which is insane.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I go insane when I road trip. My self control is out the window, and my favorite things are:

1) Hoop cheese, or butter cheese - It's this homemade cheese sold in little saran wrap self serving packages that you buy with a little thing of saltine crackers. It's all greasy and awesome

2) Beef Jerky, Slim Jim's, and Meat Sticks

3) Combos, always cheddar cheese pretzel or nacho cheese pretzel

4) Icee, either coke or coke mixed with cherry

5) Those chocolate creme filled cupcakes sold in packs of two.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've recently been enjoying some bitsized mounds bars. I really love the coconut in it.

Also for me there's:

-Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
    -Peanuts (preferably honey-roasted)
    -Beef Jerky (need to get hold of some soon)
    -Gummy candies
    -Those ice pops that come in those plastic tubular bags that were already posted earlier (especially the blue ones)
    -Oreos (DOUBLE STUFFED)

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know those dry block ramen? take one of them, crush it up and mix with the flavor package in a zip top bag. Sooooo bad for you, but like many things that are bad for you, soooo delicious

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

I have friends who hunt.

They send me jerky.

I don't ask questions.

of anything

Deer jerky is the best.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I have friends who hunt.

They send me jerky.

I don't ask questions.

of anything

Deer jerky is the best.

This is why I love my redneck uncle and his family. Mounds of jerky! I have to be careful though, or else I'll black out and when I come to pounds of jerky are gone and a deer is using my face as a salt lick.

Arrath on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    maytag.gif
    3852-Hunter-Valley-smelly-cheese-shop_stuffed-olives.jpg
    nandos4.jpg

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    none of those things were made by killing something Fallingman

Malkor on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Croutons are so delicious. Seriously.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Those small pickles are good.

Pickles are good.

cornichons is what they're called.

Malkor on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    none of those things were made by killing something Fallingman

Oh, sorry - my bad.
    20061117-17727-99448.jpg

?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    too much!

You are bad at this!

Malkor on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    crackers-potato-chips-nuts-63-c.jpg
    Cheez_It.gif

0000164863.jpg

Oh, and I seem to be the only person I know who really enjoys shortbread cookies, particularly:
    chessmen.jpg

Wazza on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I used to eat slim jims. I don't eat them anymore because they are horrible.

so did I as a kid... Back when they used to list "Beef Hearts" in the ingredients list.

krush on