As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Low-Carb Diets]: Now with awesome recipes on the first page!

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The hard thing with that is, I have no way of heating food at work, which further limits my already relatively low amount of foods I can eat.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My easy lunch is roasting a big pork loin (good for like 4 meals) and then either making a baby spinach salad with the pork or just bringing a bunch of the pork in and eat it with salt and pepper added. no heating up necessary.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    The hard thing with that is, I have no way of heating food at work, which further limits my already relatively low amount of foods I can eat.

Buy a thermos or similar container, make an iced smoothie in the morning and pour it in it. At lunch time, drink it.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    geckahn wrote: »
    My easy lunch is roasting a big pork loin (good for like 4 meals) and then either making a baby spinach salad with the pork or just bringing a bunch of the pork in and eat it with salt and pepper added. no heating up necessary.

also drink water

this automated message brought to you by the people for salt balance

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Just experiment around with foods you still like cold, smoked shredded pork is great even cold, and so is rare to medium rare steak, lox, also stuff like fish/chicken salads if you can make those low carb (I haven't looked into that as much yet).

cabsy on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've discovered that a sandwich without the bread is a ridiculously quick way to get a meal in. Just throw a pile of ham and some mustard between two slices of Swiss cheese, or maybe some roast beef and mayo between some Havarti, and boom, instant zero carb sandwich.

This diet appeals to my bachelor cooking style.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I've become quite adept at making low carb sandwiches(I use low carb bread, and stack it to a point where it barely fits in my mouth). I have pre-cooked burger patties that are great for microwaving for a few minutes, then eating with some cheese and hot sauce. I pretty much get salad whenever i'm out of the house, so usually don't eat it at home. I can stand an omelet once in a while, but I've never been a big egg fan.

Thats pretty much been what I've ate for the last five or so days, plus almonds and some other meats. I also already seem to be losing weight.

Raslin on

• Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of my tricks is to cook up a huge batch of chicken breast for dinner one night, sliced up into one mouthful portions. Then, I keep a steady supply of washed lettuce in my fridge.
    When I want a snack, I take the chicken, wrap it in the lettuce, and bam. Delicious. Sometimes I add cheese or sliced cucumbers.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    A big problem of mine is, I just don't know how to cook meat. I really need to learn.

I guess you guys need to take my man card until I sort that out.

Raslin on

• Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A big problem of mine is, I just don't know how to cook meat. I really need to learn.

Two words: George Foreman.

If not, just put it on a pan with some butter and cook it for 10-15 mins depending on how thick it is.

It's really easy. The only challenge is if you want to marinate it, in which case it takes more prep.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »

Two words: George Foreman.

If not, just put it on a pan with some butter and cook it for 10-15 mins depending on how thick it is.

It's really easy. The only challenge is if you want to marinate it, in which case it takes more prep.

George Forman is a great shortcut to cooking meat.

For pan cooking or grilling, it's just all about practice. Google some recipes and learn the general method, then practice a lot.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Damnit, you two got here before I did. But I'll chime in anyways.

The George Foreman Grill is the best evidence yet that there is a just and loving god who wants us to be happy.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cyphr wrote: »
    I've discovered that a sandwich without the bread is a ridiculously quick way to get a meal in. Just throw a pile of ham and some mustard between two slices of Swiss cheese, or maybe some roast beef and mayo between some Havarti, and boom, instant zero carb sandwich.

This diet appeals to my bachelor cooking style.

I do the same in that lettuce is my replacement for bread/wraps. It can be hard to hold depending on what you're stuffing it. For example, tacos the way I like them with lettuce instead of shells can get pretty messy.

I think it's been a little over a month since I've been doing the low carb thing but I still get cravings for things like french fries. More accurately, I get cravings for what I remember french fries tasting like since I've had a couple after 3 weeks in on the diet and they tasted horrible. Didn't even bother eating them after the initial taste.

I tried the chicken parmesan recipe Jakkard posted on page 27. That was pretty good. Next time, I'll try cooking a little garlic in the oil before hand because I like a stronger garlic flavor.

Edit: Are there George Foreman's that are more than just Hot and Off now? That was my problem with them like 6 years ago.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The George is great, but you still gotta figure out when your meat is done.

Presenting: the finger test of doneness. Simply put, the resistance of your meat is similar to the resistance of the meaty part of your palm/thumb.

For raw meat, poke the meaty part of your palm. Pretty squishy, eh?
    For rare, gently press your thumb to your index finger, then poke your palm. Less squishy.
    For medium rare, press your thumb to your middle finger. Not so squishy
    For medium, press your thumb to your ring finger. Kinda hard.
    For well done (you silly goose), press your thumb to your pinky. Very hard, and you overcooked your meat.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Errr, I don't actually poke the meat I cook. I just cut it in half and see how pink the middle is.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Errr, I don't actually poke the meat I cook. I just cut it in half and see how pink the middle is.

thats not really a good option if you're going for well cooked food, but . . . baby steps.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I cut open my chicken still, just because it feel dangerous to take that risk. With beef I don't mind it being a little underdone in the middle.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    lowcarbmelowcarbme Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I stay on ketosis by eating mostly meats and a little veggies. When I want a piece of bread, I eat the Health Express breads with only one carb. I stay in Ketosis. The Dreamfields pasta is also great and very low in carbs. I've been in ketosis for 4 months and I feel great!

lowcarbme on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kamar wrote: »
    Most things you'd eat on bread can be eaten on tortillas. There are some good ones out there; I get Extreme Wellness High Fiber ones, they taste pretty great and as you can see, they're pretty damn decent health-wise.

These things are awesome. I like making breakfast burritos with them, using eggs, sausage or bacon, some cheese and salsa.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I'm going shopping today and trying this. Really, any diet that gets me off pizza and soda can't be that bad.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm going shopping today and trying this. Really, any diet that gets me off pizza and soda can't be that bad.

Man, people shouldn't need diets to cut/stop soda. It's fucking common sense. We should have a "Fuck soda, water is awesome!" thread.

zeeny on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sideImage_history.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Or at least, go to diet soda. You get a bit of sodium, but no calories or sugar. Plus, no diabetes! Hooray!

Right now at my house we're trying out flax on our low-carb diet. I've been doing pretty good so far, lost 25 pounds or so in the first month, but I've been told to expect that to abate as time goes on.

Flax, however, is looking like a good deal. Extremely low in net carbs (like, 2g per serving) but cooks a lot like wheat flour. I'd describe the results as . . . not bad. I don't think I would ever go out of my way to eat it if I wasn't watching my weight, but as the lone grain option in a desert of choices, it does the job. So far, it's been good in muffins and breads, and there's some pancake recipes I'd like to try out.

If you're interested, try getting it from an organic/farmers' market type place, as many of them sell it by the pound in grain stores. Otherwise, you're looking at buying in packages, which tend to be much more expensive. We got it nearby for like $1.69/pound for ground meal.

Atomika on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I'm finding this diet to be really easy.... Protein shake in the morning etc and meat for dinner. WIN

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    I cut open my chicken still, just because it feel dangerous to take that risk. With beef I don't mind it being a little underdone in the middle.

It's not dangerous. Seriously, the thumb method works really well once you've figured out the squishy index.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Braincow wrote: »

It's not dangerous. Seriously, the thumb method works really well once you've figured out the squishy index.

I think he meant leaving chicken uncooked in the middle is risky.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    this thread brings back memories of my PSMF

oh

good times

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

Man, people shouldn't need diets to cut/stop soda. It's fucking common sense. We should have a "Fuck soda, water is awesome!" thread.
    Soda is hardly the only terrible thing I consume. It's never been a huge revelation that soda is bad. It just taste so damn good.

Right now I'm just swapping stuff. Soda to water, obviously. Replacing chips with pork rinds and later almonds. I am having a hard time thinking of a replacement for breakfast. It's the prep time factor, as I'm not one to get up earlier to cook something. I'm thinking pre-cooked ham.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Soda is hardly the only terrible thing I consume. It's never been a huge revelation that soda is bad. It just taste so damn good.

Funny thing: if you stop drinking it for a month or so and then try it, it will taste awful.
    Right now I'm just swapping stuff. Soda to water, obviously. Replacing chips with pork rinds and later almonds. I am having a hard time thinking of a replacement for breakfast. It's the prep time factor, as I'm not one to get up earlier to cook something. I'm thinking pre-cooked ham.

Protein shakes, if you have a blender.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Funny thing: if you stop drinking it for a month or so and then try it, it will taste awful.

People keep saying stuff like this as if it were universally true.
    About two years I quit soda for about six months. Then one day I said "what the hell" and had a soda with dinner. It tasted like the nectar of the gods.

I still barely drink soda -- a couple times a year, maybe? -- but I've never lost a taste for it. So don't make promises to people that might not come true.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It will taste awful as in "way too sweet".

I'm not making any promises, I'm just saying that's what will likely happen.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It will taste awful as in "way too sweet".

I'm not making any promises, I'm just saying that's what will likely happen.

Just chiming in as another of the recently converted.

Mine is a low-to-mid carb diet. We (My wife and I) started on a ketosis diet, but recently went to up low/mid range.

Here is our typical routine:

Breakfast: Bacon and/or Fried Bologna and/or Sausages and eggs.

If no time is available, All-Bran in Sugar-free Soy Milk.

Lunch at work:

Various sandwiches on low-carb Weight Watchers Multi-Grain bread (8g of carbs per slice, IIRC) OR various creamy soups (cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of brocolli)
    Various friendly snacks including: Hot Rod pepperoni snacks, Cheesestrings and sugar-free yogurt.
    a 1 Litre bottle of President's Choice Free & Clear flavored water OR a can of diet pop on occasion.

Supper: Any variety of Meat and carb-friendly veggies (anything from Ceasar salad with low-fat dressing to string beans to boiled brocolli/cauliflower mix)

Snack: I have always loved Cheese Curds, and this diet has allowed me to indulge in this food of the gods pretty much whenever I feel peckish, and I couldn't be happier about it. Also, I will have a can of diet pop or any leftover water from my daily 1L bottle to stave off hunger. The only problem with that is that it tends to leave our house littered with pop cans and plastic bottles :P

I occasionally allow myself one beer every odd day or so, with a cheat day to pig out with friends once every 2 weeks.

This is in no way an "ideal" diet, but it's worked well for us as we've been on it for about 4 months now and both of us are obese and losing weight at a steady pace. My wife has been having more success than me, but my progress is still good.

Biggest Challenge: giving up pasta and rice was the biggest challenge to this diet, as I love italian and thai foods. Giving up sweets was not as hard as I had anticipated, as I'm generally able to resist. Usually our cheat days will involve heading to the local italian/oriental joint.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Braincow wrote: »

I think he meant leaving chicken uncooked in the middle is risky.

I think he meant he isn't up to learning a perfectly valid cooking technique used by millions of people without incident because he doesn't think it works.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Ketosis FTW!

Distram on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is diet soda okay should I have an urge?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Here's a recipe I found. I even attempted to add up components.

CHICKEN PARMESAN
    1 boneless chicken breast, pounded thin
    1 egg, beaten
    Parmesan cheese, enough to coat the chicken
    Dash garlic powder
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce
    1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded

Dip the chicken in egg, then coat with parmesan cheese. Sauté in oil until browned on both sides; season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish and spread with sauce. Top with the mozzarella. Microwave on MEDIUM for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.

Makes 1 serving
    Can be frozen

I suppose you can do it that way if you like chewy, rubbery chicken...

instead of nuking it, stick it in the oven at 425 for ~20 minutes. Your taste buds will thank you.

(if you want to really go crazy and make it extra awesome, brine the chicken the day before...)

anyways yeah, this thread has inspired me to give serious low-carbing a try. I've only got 15-20 lbs of fat to lose, so hopefully it'll get the job done fairly quickly...

Oh, and I tried that Gordon Ramsay method for cooking scrambled eggs this morning, and even though I didn't have any creme fraiche (I used a splash of half n half instead), it was amazing!

jimb213 on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jimb213 wrote: »

Yeah, that microwave bit was what the recipe maker suggested. I assume you could cut back the micro time since it apparently is only for the cheese. Or possibly you could melt the cheese ahead of time and then just pour it over the chicken.

I will do that for typical things that suggst throwing them in a microwave. I mean, I've already cooked it so why do I need that in the microwave. it may be uniform or an ease of cooking thing.

I need to go looking for a couple of other receipes. I still have no idea what's a good number for total carbs through out the day though. If I tracked it for a couple of months I might be able to see if I can cut the carb count down a few notches since I don't want to go to an low carb diet but would like to have options for lowering the overall carb count in any given dish.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You could also stick the chicken under a broiler for a couple minutes to melt the cheese.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »

Yeah, that microwave bit was what the recipe maker suggested. I assume you could cut back the micro time since it apparently is only for the cheese. Or possibly you could melt the cheese ahead of time and then just pour it over the chicken.

I will do that for typical things that suggst throwing them in a microwave. I mean, I've already cooked it so why do I need that in the microwave. it may be uniform or an ease of cooking thing.

I need to go looking for a couple of other receipes. I still have no idea what's a good number for total carbs through out the day though. If I tracked it for a couple of months I might be able to see if I can cut the carb count down a few notches since I don't want to go to an low carb diet but would like to have options for lowering the overall carb count in any given dish.

ha... part of it is that I was overlooking the "pounded thin" part of the recipe... After 3-4 minutes a side, a regular chicken breast is nowhere near cooked through, thus the 425 for 20 minutes... with a thin piece of chicken it'll probably get cooked through in the pan. Still, stick it in the oven on broil with the sauce and cheese for a few minutes to avoid the rubberizing effect of the microwave and melt/brown the cheese...

for low carb recipes though, any kind of grilled or baked meat with a side of non-starchy veggies is fantastic and relatively easy. If you don't have access to a BBQ pit/grill, you can brown the meat in a pan, then stick it in the oven to your desired done-ness. That's actually how fancy restaurants typically do steaks. They sear the outside of the steak on the grill, then bake it to the ordered temperature. Not much smells better than searing a steak in a stainless steel pan with some olive oil...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you guys find a low carb recipe you like and post it here with some pics, I can include them on the first page.

Protein Shakes on