We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

[Low-Carb Diets]: Now with awesome recipes on the first page!

12224262728

Posts

  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So what're you guys doing to recover glycogen levels after a workout? Just protein shakes in full fat, 2% or skim milk? And would it be necessary to get in anymore carbs the same day, or would one shake suffice?

    My workout days (MWF) have become the days I fall off the wagon, because I'm not sure how much I need to take in in carbs to replenish the glycogen I lost weightlifting.

    Hamurabi on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Personally I haven't found drinking and low-carb diets to be incompatible. Just drink hard liquor.... I don't mix it with diet soda myself, since something about the combination of alcohol and diet soda tastes gross to me. I haven't found a combination I like.

    Or go off the diet entirely on your drinking nights, so long as you don't do it too often.

    That said, I haven't had the weird hangover effect you've described. To me it sounds more like dehydration than anything else.

    Yougottawanna on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Personally I haven't found drinking and low-carb diets to be incompatible. Just drink hard liquor.... I don't mix it with diet soda myself, since something about the combination of alcohol and diet soda tastes gross to me. I haven't found a combination I like.

    Or go off the diet entirely on your drinking nights, so long as you don't do it too often.

    That said, I haven't had the weird hangover effect you've described. To me it sounds more like dehydration than anything else.

    Yeah, second this. I've found drinking beer makes me sick without getting much more than buzzed; but I've had good experiences drinking straight liquor (and it doesn't take much).

    Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guys, chicken hearts make a fantastic ingredient in soup. Super cheap, and a great source of iron (I have two close friends with anemia).

    I'm trying to figure out how to make better use of the "garbage" parts of animals. And it looks like the local Kroger keeps having to put chicken hearts on clearance, since no one is buying them.

    Schrodinger on
  • Uncle_JohnUncle_John Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Adrien wrote: »
    Personally I haven't found drinking and low-carb diets to be incompatible. Just drink hard liquor.... I don't mix it with diet soda myself, since something about the combination of alcohol and diet soda tastes gross to me. I haven't found a combination I like.

    Or go off the diet entirely on your drinking nights, so long as you don't do it too often.

    That said, I haven't had the weird hangover effect you've described. To me it sounds more like dehydration than anything else.

    Yeah, second this. I've found drinking beer makes me sick without getting much more than buzzed; but I've had good experiences drinking straight liquor (and it doesn't take much).

    Not to go off topic, but do you guys think the wodka did it? My experience with hard liqour comes mainly from whiskey, which I have always been able to handle fine, even when I get shitfaced. Can you have a different reaction (hangover wise) from different hard liqours?

    Uncle_John on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Uncle_John wrote: »
    Adrien wrote: »
    Personally I haven't found drinking and low-carb diets to be incompatible. Just drink hard liquor.... I don't mix it with diet soda myself, since something about the combination of alcohol and diet soda tastes gross to me. I haven't found a combination I like.

    Or go off the diet entirely on your drinking nights, so long as you don't do it too often.

    That said, I haven't had the weird hangover effect you've described. To me it sounds more like dehydration than anything else.

    Yeah, second this. I've found drinking beer makes me sick without getting much more than buzzed; but I've had good experiences drinking straight liquor (and it doesn't take much).

    Not to go off topic, but do you guys think the wodka did it? My experience with hard liqour comes mainly from whiskey, which I have always been able to handle fine, even when I get shitfaced. Can you have a different reaction (hangover wise) from different hard liqours?

    Alcohol is alcohol. The reason people (seem to) react differently to different hard liquors is that they are able to drink more of the types that go down smoothly and mix well with sweet stuff. Such as vodka. So you end up drinking more of it without realizing and it hits you harder in the morning.

    Perpetual on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So what're you guys doing to recover glycogen levels after a workout? Just protein shakes in full fat, 2% or skim milk? And would it be necessary to get in anymore carbs the same day, or would one shake suffice?

    My workout days (MWF) have become the days I fall off the wagon, because I'm not sure how much I need to take in in carbs to replenish the glycogen I lost weightlifting.

    I usually use sucrose (plain ol' table sugar, or cane sugar). I don't do it to "recover glycogen levels" as much as to maximize the insulin response to get the most protein into my muscles.

    If you don't have cane sugar then you can also use honey. I wouldn't use fruit though, as that's mostly fructose which doesn't have as much of an insulin response as sucrose.

    Perpetual on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So what're you guys doing to recover glycogen levels after a workout? Just protein shakes in full fat, 2% or skim milk? And would it be necessary to get in anymore carbs the same day, or would one shake suffice?

    My workout days (MWF) have become the days I fall off the wagon, because I'm not sure how much I need to take in in carbs to replenish the glycogen I lost weightlifting.

    I usually use sucrose (plain ol' table sugar, or cane sugar). I don't do it to "recover glycogen levels" as much as to maximize the insulin response to get the most protein into my muscles.

    If you don't have cane sugar then you can also use honey. I wouldn't use fruit though, as that's mostly fructose which doesn't have as much of an insulin response as sucrose.

    But milk + protein powder + maybe Swiss Miss powder would work just as well, yeah?

    Also: I've found that my workouts kinda suck if I haven't had any carbs in awhile (I do no-carb, or close to it, 4 days a week). Is anyone else loading up on carbs (specifically, simple sugars) before heading to the gym?

    Hamurabi on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To comment on the liquor thing (I did low carb for quite a while, and I suppose I still have a fairly carb-light lifestyle,) I think sipping whiskey is the way to go, or rum and diet cokes.

    To comment on the workout-recovery thing, I've always used chocolate milk. At the university gym, this was recommended to me by a few people, and... I like chocolate milk. So I look forward to it. I've honestly never looked into whether or not it's genuinely good for workout recovery, or is just some myth. I'm almost scared to :).

    Ego on
    Erik
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Uncle_John wrote: »
    I'm a 21 year old college student and without alcohol I wouldn't have a social life. I need to drink alcohol

    Uh... no you don't? This is a terrible mentality. It will only lead to trouble. Just pointing out that you may want to think about that statement, don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about it.
    but the way I felt this morning makes the whole low carb thing not worth it, which is a shame because I love all the other aspects of it. Do you think it will be better next time I just drink more water before, during and after drinking alcohol?

    Also, I came across a forum where someone claimed that you get more hungover when on low carbs because the liver is "busy" with ketosis process. Any truth to this?

    Possibly, but what you had sounds like severe dehydration. Diet coke (and regular coke) has salt, which throws off your electrolyte levels (unless balanced with sufficient water). It also has caffeine which makes you lose water. Alcohol also makes you lose water.

    Solution? Drink water. Also, the cure for a hangover is bacon and eggs... with a glass of water or two.

    When I was double-checking my claim that thirst causes postural hypotension, I of course went to wikipedia, which told me that salt is good for people at risk for hypotension for the same reason it's bad for people at risk for hypertension: it raises blood pressure. Also, one also expells salt through urination, so he might need that replenished as well. This means that he should probably drink something with the same salt:water ratio as whatever's the natural ratio for the human body. Wikipedia suggests that the term for this is "isotonic." The only formula for an isotonic drink is "200ml of orange squash (concentrated orange), 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt (1g)," which includes carbs to keep athletes energized. He obviously doesn't need more sources of carbs than what he builds into his diet, so somebody needs to find what the salt concentration of "orange squash" so we can get a carb-free formula right. Or we could ask a marathon runner smart enough to avoid overhydration. Are there any marathon runners following this thread?

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So what're you guys doing to recover glycogen levels after a workout? Just protein shakes in full fat, 2% or skim milk? And would it be necessary to get in anymore carbs the same day, or would one shake suffice?

    My workout days (MWF) have become the days I fall off the wagon, because I'm not sure how much I need to take in in carbs to replenish the glycogen I lost weightlifting.

    I usually use sucrose (plain ol' table sugar, or cane sugar). I don't do it to "recover glycogen levels" as much as to maximize the insulin response to get the most protein into my muscles.

    If you don't have cane sugar then you can also use honey. I wouldn't use fruit though, as that's mostly fructose which doesn't have as much of an insulin response as sucrose.

    But milk + protein powder + maybe Swiss Miss powder would work just as well, yeah?

    Also: I've found that my workouts kinda suck if I haven't had any carbs in awhile (I do no-carb, or close to it, 4 days a week). Is anyone else loading up on carbs (specifically, simple sugars) before heading to the gym?

    You really shouldn't need that many, maybe two fig newtons. By the time that wears off, you should start receiving the results of your body dissolving its stores. While your body will still consume glycogen faster than it can get it from its stores, you won't need any more carbs until you stop, at which point you just need enough to blunt your hunger until your body gets its glycogen levels back up.

    I'm only able to pull off the "low carb low fat" thing because my preferred diet is already free of fats that aren't secondary to protein (dairy, fish, and chicken). That means that my strategies are the same as yours with a few exceptions caused by the fact that taking the fat out of something inflates its carb percentage (milk is a good example: whole milk is high in fat and moderate in carbs and protein, so taking out the fat to create skim milk is fantastic for me but bad for you).

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

    Also: I've found that my workouts kinda suck if I haven't had any carbs in awhile (I do no-carb, or close to it, 4 days a week). Is anyone else loading up on carbs (specifically, simple sugars) before heading to the gym?

    I load up on my glycemic stores on the weekends, and do my high-intensity compound lift workouts on Monday and Tuesday. I stay below ~30g carbs/day during the week. This is sufficient for me, I haven't suffered any noticeable losses on my big lifts, though my endurance isn't quite where I would like. But I don't do any cardio except what I get through squats and deadlifts, so I can't comment on steady-state aerobic performance.

    wallaka on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited June 2010
    wallaka wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »

    Also: I've found that my workouts kinda suck if I haven't had any carbs in awhile (I do no-carb, or close to it, 4 days a week). Is anyone else loading up on carbs (specifically, simple sugars) before heading to the gym?

    I load up on my glycemic stores on the weekends, and do my high-intensity compound lift workouts on Monday and Tuesday. I stay below ~30g carbs/day during the week. This is sufficient for me, I haven't suffered any noticeable losses on my big lifts, though my endurance isn't quite where I would like. But I don't do any cardio except what I get through squats and deadlifts, so I can't comment on steady-state aerobic performance.

    Cyclical Ketogenic Diet!

    Perpetual on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just made some chicken liver pate.

    What's something low carb to serve it with?

    Schrodinger on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I just made some chicken liver pate.

    What's something low carb to serve it with?

    A spoon, roffles etc

    Maybe celery or carrot sticks, like with dip?

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • StruenseeStruensee Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    This means that he should probably drink something with the same salt:water ratio as whatever's the natural ratio for the human body. The only formula for an isotonic drink is "200ml of orange squash (concentrated orange), 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt (1g)," which includes carbs to keep athletes energized. He obviously doesn't need more sources of carbs than what he builds into his diet, so somebody needs to find what the salt concentration of "orange squash" so we can get a carb-free formula right. Or we could ask a marathon runner smart enough to avoid overhydration. Are there any marathon runners following this thread?

    Unless you're actually an athlete, drinking something isotonic is pointless. Your body recovers Natrium and Chloride ions in the kidneys as per its needs (they're remarkably efficient at adjusting your recovery rate), so there's literally no reason to get these ions anywhere else than your normal diet.

    For those who are curious an isotonic salt-water mix is 0,9 g NaCl per 1 L of water (any solution that is 290 mosmoles is isotonic). The reason for this is since it's used for replenishing body water when someone's dehydrated by delivering it straight into the circulation, if there's no salt (or other osmostically active ions) in the solution, the red blood cells will swell and eventually rupture because of osmosis.

    Edit: Oh, right. Conclusion: Drink water!

    Struensee on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Or you're working outside in AZ all summer. If you're sweating a lot, like 4+ hours a day, you may want an isotonic solution.

    Kakodaimonos on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Damnit. I made that cheesecake recipe that's on the first page tonight, and it was going so well, but I guess that liquid saccharin does NOT do the same job as liquid sucralose. My cheesecake isn't sweet at all.

    :(

    cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Haha, no. Saccharin releases formaldehyde when heated. It is untasty.

    wallaka on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have any idea how well chicken pate would mix with a baked potato?

    I'm actually trying to come up with recipes loaded with iron for a celiac/anemic person I know.

    Schrodinger on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guys, chicken hearts make a fantastic ingredient in soup. Super cheap, and a great source of iron (I have two close friends with anemia).

    I'm trying to figure out how to make better use of the "garbage" parts of animals. And it looks like the local Kroger keeps having to put chicken hearts on clearance, since no one is buying them.

    I LOVE beef kidney, but it's never in stores. Last time I asked at the butcher's counter at the grocery store, I was told no one buys it so they don't stock it anymore.

    I might have to try the farmer's market or something.

    exmello on
    These are the type of people who get to Google by Googling "Google"
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    exmello wrote: »
    Guys, chicken hearts make a fantastic ingredient in soup. Super cheap, and a great source of iron (I have two close friends with anemia).

    I'm trying to figure out how to make better use of the "garbage" parts of animals. And it looks like the local Kroger keeps having to put chicken hearts on clearance, since no one is buying them.

    I LOVE beef kidney, but it's never in stores. Last time I asked at the butcher's counter at the grocery store, I was told no one buys it so they don't stock it anymore.

    I might have to try the farmer's market or something.

    Recipe suggestions?

    There's a place in my area that will ship grass fed beef kidneys.

    Barring that, you can always check an Asian market. Asian markets sell the sort of foods that normally get reserved for hot dogs. Want to buy some pork tongues? They have that. You know, just in case you ever have a recipe, calling for pork tongues.

    Schrodinger on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anybody know the calorie breakdown of bread made out of nut flour? Somebody was asking what to use to bread fried foods a couple days back, and nut breading seems like it would work well.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2010
    It depends on the nut, as well as the other ingredients in the nut bread.

    Protein Shakes on
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Well, if my mom met the following criteria... I'd be in favor if waterboarding her.
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have any idea how well chicken pate would mix with a baked potato?

    I'm actually trying to come up with recipes loaded with iron for a celiac/anemic person I know.

    Your friend should probably check her stomach acid levels. Hypochlorhydria can lead to either b12 or iron deficiency anemia. And if she has suffered any digestive damage from the celiac's it could be a likely culprit.

    geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well yeah, I don't doubt that the celiacs and the anemia are related. Probably also has something to do with phytic acid. She started trying vegetarianism the year before her diagnosis, and that probably made things a lot worse, because that meant that she was relying heavily on grains for calories.

    Another one of my friends has anemia + Barret's disease, which means she has trouble with acidic food, which makes iron absorbsion really tricky. Especially plant based iron, which requires vitamin C to be absorbed.

    So one recipe I'm working on is basic a chicken heart soup (Chicken Hearts, tomatoes, salt, sugar, celery, cilantro, fish sauce, rice). 4 ounces of chicken hearts contain 17 grams of protein and 35% of your daily iron intake. It's also low fat, which wasn't intentional. I can't think of anything fat based that wouldn't ruin it.

    Four ounces of chicken livers contain 50% of the daily iron, but the flavor is so strong that it's really hard to eat that much. Still, I figure that liver pate would be better on bread than butter or mayonnaise for my friend who doesn't have celiacs. And I'm trying to figure out how to serve pate for my friend who does have it. Pork livers has a lot more iron, but I don't know of any trustworthy sources for it. Duck liver has over twice as much iron and would probably taste awesome, but that sells out quick.

    Schrodinger on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Buckwheat is gluten free, and very tasty. For a future meal, you could try this recipe.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah definitely tell her to avoid phytic acid containing grains. Stick to potatoes and sweet potatoes for carbs. White rice doesnt have much phytic acid either, but it's also not very nutritious.

    For the stomach acid thing i mentioned - tell her to go buy some betaine hcl with pepsin. It's basically just stomach acid in tablet form. Take a couple with a meal. If she gets an obvious warm feeling in her chest, she doesnt have a problem with low stomach acid. If she doesn't, she should increase the dosage by 1 each meal until she gets that feeling, and then drop down one at the next meal and stay at that level until she gets that feeling again. when that happens, drop down a tablet and stay at that level until the same thing happens, etc. until your down to one tablet and then you can stop taking it. Stomach acid production doesnt kick back in every case, but it usually does. Also, she shouldnt drink liquid with her meals. Just a few sips to swallow the betaine hcl tablets - and take them shortly after finishing the meal.

    geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll ask my friend if she was ever tested for that.

    BTW, I really wish I could find nutritional information on duck gizzards and duck hearts.

    Schrodinger on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll ask my friend if she was ever tested for that.

    BTW, I really wish I could find nutritional information on duck gizzards and duck hearts.

    Its not something that a doctor is ever going to test for, so probably not. the medical term is hypochlorhydria.

    And really the easiest way to test for it is just by buying some betaine and trying it out.

    geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    geckahn wrote: »
    Yeah definitely tell her to avoid phytic acid containing grains. Stick to potatoes and sweet potatoes for carbs. White rice doesnt have much phytic acid either, but it's also not very nutritious.

    For the stomach acid thing i mentioned - tell her to go buy some betaine hcl with pepsin. It's basically just stomach acid in tablet form. Take a couple with a meal. If she gets an obvious warm feeling in her chest, she doesnt have a problem with low stomach acid. If she doesn't, she should increase the dosage by 1 each meal until she gets that feeling, and then drop down one at the next meal and stay at that level until she gets that feeling again. when that happens, drop down a tablet and stay at that level until the same thing happens, etc. until your down to one tablet and then you can stop taking it. Stomach acid production doesnt kick back in every case, but it usually does. Also, she shouldnt drink liquid with her meals. Just a few sips to swallow the betaine hcl tablets - and take them shortly after finishing the meal.

    Wait, does that mean no soup?

    Schrodinger on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    geckahn wrote: »
    Yeah definitely tell her to avoid phytic acid containing grains. Stick to potatoes and sweet potatoes for carbs. White rice doesnt have much phytic acid either, but it's also not very nutritious.

    For the stomach acid thing i mentioned - tell her to go buy some betaine hcl with pepsin. It's basically just stomach acid in tablet form. Take a couple with a meal. If she gets an obvious warm feeling in her chest, she doesnt have a problem with low stomach acid. If she doesn't, she should increase the dosage by 1 each meal until she gets that feeling, and then drop down one at the next meal and stay at that level until she gets that feeling again. when that happens, drop down a tablet and stay at that level until the same thing happens, etc. until your down to one tablet and then you can stop taking it. Stomach acid production doesnt kick back in every case, but it usually does. Also, she shouldnt drink liquid with her meals. Just a few sips to swallow the betaine hcl tablets - and take them shortly after finishing the meal.

    Wait, does that mean no soup?

    Yeah. If she has a problem with low stomach acid.

    and another fyi - heartburn is usually a symptom of low stomach acid. Not the other way around.

    geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How does that work?

    And dang on the soup thing. Any suggestions for what to eat if she does have it?

    Schrodinger on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How does that work?

    And dang on the soup thing. Any suggestions for what to eat if she does have it?

    The sphincter between the stomach and esophagus doesnt close all the way if the ph of the stomach doesnt drop low enough, which leads to the stomach acid that you do have splashing up into your esophagus. Heartburn from hyperchloridia does exist, but it's very rare.

    Well if she does have it doing a low carb diet is the best way to deal with it, along with the betaine, since having low stomach acid can mess up digestion along the entire way. Basically not having low enough ph in the stomach leads to insufficient bile and pancreatic enzyme release, which leads to fat and protein and carbs not being digested properly as well as ph problems. This can cause small intestine bacterial overgrowth, which can make the low stomach acid problem worse. It's a bit of a downward spiral.

    So basically you're looking at meats and veggies as the main components. Low sugar fruits could work as well. Fermented foods are a good idea (homemade sauerkraut and kefir are good options) for the probiotic benefits and lactic acid. And she should take probiotics daily. I can recommend a good brand if she ends up needing it.

    good link on the subject: http://thehealthyskeptic.org/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps

    geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, that's really interesting. Depressing that I can't give them soup, though. They're also both trying to lose weight, and I have a lot of kick ass soup recipes. Does it help if it's an acid heavy tomato based soup?

    Also, do you have any thoughts on my friend with Barrett's? The doctor has her on aciphex, and tells her to avoid acidic foods.

    Schrodinger on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, that's really interesting. Depressing that I can't give them soup, though. They're also both trying to lose weight, and I have a lot of kick ass soup recipes. Does it help if it's an acid heavy tomato based soup?

    Also, do you have any thoughts on my friend with Barrett's? The doctor has her on aciphex, and tells her to avoid acidic foods.

    stomach acid gets diluted by liquid, and the goal is to get the stomach to a low enough ph that it properly digests food every meal, so really any soup isnt a great way to go.

    I dont know anything about Barrett's. Just looking it up I see it's probably caused by GERD, but I don't know if you can do anything about once you have it. The one thing I will say on that subject is that Aciphex is a PPI, and long term use of PPI's is a very very bad idea. So if I was her I would try to see if I could resolve it by getting ride of GERD. But . . since she has Barrett's, I don't know how well that will work out. It could work, I just have no idea.

    geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I called up my friend with Barrett's. She says that due to the condition, she basically gets heartburn without feeling it. I'm not sure what that means yet or how it works, but it could make it tricky for her to test. Someone on the internet mentioned that her Barrett's seemed to go away after taking a multi-enzyme with Betaine HCL as one of the ingredients, but she didn't mention which product, and I'm not sure I can rely entirely on anonymous anecdotal evidence.

    Can you recomend a good Betaine HCL brand for my friend with Celiacs? She also has a bad reaction to Casein. Country Life brand says gluten free, but it's also produced with milk. She's fine with some dairy products (heavy cream, certain varieties of cheese), so it could be that the amount of milk in an HCL tablet wouldn't be enough to trigger a reaction. Still, an affordable milk-free gluten-free brand would be best.

    Either way, I'll try to get them to reduce carb intake. Does food also need to be low fiber?

    Schrodinger on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I called up my friend with Barrett's. She says that due to the condition, she basically gets heartburn without feeling it. I'm not sure what that means yet or how it works, but it could make it tricky for her to test. Someone on the internet mentioned that her Barrett's seemed to go away after taking a multi-enzyme with Betaine HCL as one of the ingredients, but she didn't mention which product, and I'm not sure I can rely entirely on anonymous anecdotal evidence.

    Can you recomend a good Betaine HCL brand for my friend with Celiacs? She also has a bad reaction to Casein. Country Life brand says gluten free, but it's also produced with milk. She's fine with some dairy products (heavy cream, certain varieties of cheese), so it could be that the amount of milk in an HCL tablet wouldn't be enough to trigger a reaction. Still, an affordable milk-free gluten-free brand would be best.

    Either way, I'll try to get them to reduce carb intake. Does food also need to be low fiber?

    Vitamin shoppe's brand should be fine, source naturals is also good.

    with fiber, might not be a big deal, but might be. soluble fiber can act as food for bacterial overgrowth, so if you really want to tackle it stick to veggies with mostly/only insoluble fiber. That's what I did toward the end, so I was eating mostly cucumbers. But I mean, when I was eating broccoli and stuff with soluble fiber I made a lot of progress too, so that may not have mattered.

    Casein is no good from a gut standpoint, especially for someone with leaky gut like a recovering celiac. If she ever wants dairy tell her to look into goat dairy products. The casein in goat milk is not gut damaging.

    geckahn on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So after a month on a ketogenic diet I've gained weight, really starting to think this low-carb thing is a bunch of BS, costing me nearly double for food compared to before and it's not helping one bit

    I mean I've gone off it two times but I've been under 260 pounds for 10 years without doing anything and now I'm 266 after a month of low carb

    Feel more energetic and stuff, but thats probably just placebo effect

    override367 on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uh... 6 pounds isn't a lot. And if you've only been on it a month and gone off it twice in that time, that's not saying much. And I dunno why you'd be spending more on food. I've spent significantly less since I stopped eating tons of carbs.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

Sign In or Register to comment.