Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Low-Carb Diets]: Now with awesome recipes on the first page!

1222324252628»

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I had my wisdom teeth removed Monday morning, which means that I haven't had anything to eat or drink in 36 hours because I've been too scared of disturbing the healing process. The amazing thing is, I don't feel that hungry. I should be eating, but I don't have this gnawing in the put of my stomach.

I chalk that up to the fact that I've been making attempts to eat a high fat diet for the past few months and I gorged on fried chicken until I was ready to explode on Sunday night, so my body has learned to efficiently tap into my fat cells, even though I have a fairly low BMI to begin with. So yay for that.

My surgeon recommend that I eat pudding and yogurt, but both these things tend to be loaded with sugar. Not only do I do poorly when I eat sugar on an empty stomach (Which tends to be the only time that I do eat it -- when nothing else is available). Plus, I figure that ingesting sugar increases the possibility of infection. So instead, I asked my dad to pick up some pho broth with nothing else in it (which does contain some sugar, but not much), as long with some full fat greek yogurt. Hopefully, I can survive on this for the next few days.

As my gums heal some more, I might start adding mashed potatoes loaded with butter and heavy cream, which aren't exactly low carb, but at least they're sugar free. I do need to figure out a safe protein source other than greek yogurt, though.

Schrodinger on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    make some soup! soft scrambled eggs!

just dont drink things from straws (suction will fuck your shit up)

also i havent been hungry in a while errr i havent poo'd in a while... and i've been eating lots of fat
    the combo of those things... yeah

yesterday it was 9pm and i had eaten lunch at 1 and i wasnt hungry

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I had my wisdom teeth removed Monday morning, which means that I haven't had anything to eat or drink in 36 hours because I've been too scared of disturbing the healing process. The amazing thing is, I don't feel that hungry. I should be eating, but I don't have this gnawing in the put of my stomach.

I chalk that up to the fact that I've been making attempts to eat a high fat diet for the past few months and I gorged on fried chicken until I was ready to explode on Sunday night, so my body has learned to efficiently tap into my fat cells, even though I have a fairly low BMI to begin with. So yay for that.

My surgeon recommend that I eat pudding and yogurt, but both these things tend to be loaded with sugar. Not only do I do poorly when I eat sugar on an empty stomach (Which tends to be the only time that I do eat it -- when nothing else is available). Plus, I figure that ingesting sugar increases the possibility of infection. So instead, I asked my dad to pick up some pho broth with nothing else in it (which does contain some sugar, but not much), as long with some full fat greek yogurt. Hopefully, I can survive on this for the next few days.

As my gums heal some more, I might start adding mashed potatoes loaded with butter and heavy cream, which aren't exactly low carb, but at least they're sugar free. I do need to figure out a safe protein source other than greek yogurt, though.

Cream cheese. With or without cocoa powder, sugar-free strawberry syrup, etc.

wallaka on
    Alton Brown's cauliflower and cheese recipe is pretty good.

http://goodeatsfanpage.com/Season14/EA1421H.htm

Also, lately I've been experimenting with store bought flat breads to act as pizza shells. It's not truly low carb, but it's much lower in carbs compared to regular pizza, and it's fast, cheap, and convenient. Naan works really well, tortillas are also workable. I think I'm going to try corn tortillas as some point and see how that goes.

I found that Cash & Carry sells 5 pounds of shredded whole milk mozzarella for $11. Not the highest quality stuff, but it's a great price, since whole milk cheese are hard to find.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why not do this instead for your crust? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30161.html

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    I've actually done a crust made of ground pork before. Afterwards, I decided that based on the flavor profile, it would be simpler to use the same ingredients to make a deconstructed skillet based lasagna with green cabbage instead of noodles.

But like I said, it's a convenience thing. Also, I don't have a food processor.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Try almond flour, maybe with a bit of millet or barley to hold the stuff together. There's also matzo meal, which is impossible to digest.
    Of course, some regional types are unleavened, so you might as well use a matzo recipe.

BTW, what frozen veggies do you all recommend, and how do you prepare them?

So far, I'm eating a lot of green beans, snow peas, and broccoli. I bought some cauliflower, but I'm not sure how good it is frozen. I bought some Brussels sprouts that were really soggy out of the bag, but I'm not sure if that's normal or just freezer damage from a bad batch. I'm avoiding carrots and corn, and potatoes. Although I'm thinking of buying some dried shredded potatoes for a GF pizza crust (Not low carb, obviously). I want to try the cauliflower one as well, but again, no food processor or grater.

Does anyone have any thoughts on okra? I know nothing about it, but my dad really likes it, and I saw it for $2.50 for 2 pounds at Cash & Carry.

For preparation, I usually like to do a stir fry or roast them in the oven with animal fat. Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chiles, etc.

So I need some help convincing my dad to reduce his carb intake. Does anyone have some good links to sites that provide a comprehensive list for counting carbs to help him put it serving size in perspective?

• StericaSterica Wow! That was shit.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lose it, while meant more for calorie-counting, does keep track of macronutrients and allows for custom food entries if you can't find something in their database.

YL9WnCY.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of carbquick pizza crusts, if you dust em in olive oil they can get reasonably solid and crispy

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    So I need some help convincing my dad to reduce his carb intake. Does anyone have some good links to sites that provide a comprehensive list for counting carbs to help him put it serving size in perspective?

You could explain that a Chipotle burrito (on Tortilla) with Rice, Pinto Beans, Barbacoa, Tomato Salsa, Corn Salsa, Cheese, Sour Cream, Lettuce, and Guac is 1185 calories. Take away the rice and tortilla and it's suddenly 765 calories... still ungodly high in sodium but that's what water is for! Drink extra!

Two McDouble's from McDonald's will run you 780 calories (with 66g of carbs mind you, about 13 teaspoons of sugar). Remove one of the buns (stack that shit) and it's suddenly 640 calories for one giant ass burger, and you cut the carbohydrates in half.

Fake edit: In the Chipotle example, the carb count was 116g before, 49g after. A teaspoon of sugar is ~5g.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell